Ochem and Physics for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistatwo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post and I tried searching for an answer to my question but didn't come up with anything.

I'm a postbacc student and I'm trying to decide how much Ochem and Physics knowledge I will need on the MCAT.

Do I need to finish OChem II and Physics II before I take the MCAT to have all the topics covered? Chem I & II, Bio I & II, Physics I, and Ochem I will all be completed. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's been my experience (and the experience of those with whom I have talked) that the Beast is more manageable *after* taking all the pre-reqs; the difficulty is that if you haven't already had the courses, you have to essentially learn *new* material, instead of review *old* material.

I don't think Organic II is a necessity for the MCAT - it wasn't on Form DL of the August MCAT at least. However, some people did report having a lot of organic related passages, whereas I only had two - so, preparing for it won't hurt.

People have done well without taking the pre-requisites; instead of taking the class they taught themselves the material - not everyone can do that. I think it's up to you to determine how you want to learn it, but I guess the key point is that you do learn it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that there are quite a few test forms on test day, so sometimes you will get lucky (no Physics II and no Ochem II) but sometimes you might get caught :thumbdown:

I'd say if you can... take them both. Also, if you can, I would suggest...

Physiology
Genetics
Microbiology
Speed reading and comprehension course :D

Remember that there are quite a few test forms on test day, so sometimes you will get lucky (no Physics II and no Ochem II) but sometimes you might get caught :thumbdown:

I'd say if you can... take them both. Also, if you can, I would suggest...

Physiology
Genetics
Microbiology
Speed reading and comprehension course :D

I'd say go for Genetics & Biochemistry - Physiology can be self - taught quickly.

Hello all. This is my first post and I tried searching for an answer to my question but didn't come up with anything.

I'm a postbacc student and I'm trying to decide how much Ochem and Physics knowledge I will need on the MCAT.

Do I need to finish OChem II and Physics II before I take the MCAT to have all the topics covered? Chem I & II, Bio I & II, Physics I, and Ochem I will all be completed. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Physics II - yes
Organic II - It would be good, but you *can* teach yourself the stuff needed for the MCAT.

Safest bet is to take all the pre-recs before you take the MCAT. If you had fluff Intro Bio classes some upper levels don't hurt either.

check out this guy who calls himself orgoman. his website is www.orgoman.com lol, corny i know.. but i used the physics and orgo books, and i honestly feel as if those books prepared me better than the EK book. there are tons of problems in the books, that give detailed answers, right and wrong. and the best part about it is, if you write him an email, or call him at this number that he supplies to you, he calls you back, personally, with an answer. pretty good catch if you ask me.

check out this guy who calls himself orgoman. his website is www.orgoman.com lol, corny i know.. but i used the physics and orgo books, and i honestly feel as if those books prepared me better than the EK book. there are tons of problems in the books, that give detailed answers, right and wrong. and the best part about it is, if you write him an email, or call him at this number that he supplies to you, he calls you back, personally, with an answer. pretty good catch if you ask me.

So, just to be sure, is it really worth $200 for the orgo and physics books?