Ochem help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datsa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, the semester is half-way over and I'm failing second semester Ochem and I don't know why.

I did poorly on the first test; I just couldn't remember anything no matter how many times I studied the mechanisms and understood nucleophiles and electrophiles. So for the second test, I restudied the earlier material, and reworked the problem sets for that test as well. Still no better than the first time around.

I went to get outside assistance (a tutor), and reworked things again.

For the third test, I redid and reworked things again, until I understood everything and was able to do all homework and problems without assistance. And I thought I did really well on the third test -- but again, I did below average.

It is _not_ test anxiety. During all the tests, I felt no stress or anxiety, and I felt that I was able to answer all the questions and do all the problems without any difficulty. Yet, when I got the tests back, my answers were all wrong. Yet, when I redid the homework and problem sets, I was able to get do the reactions and mechanisms correctly.

Neither my tutor nor the professor can figure out what I am doing wrong. And neither can I.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say repetion is the key. I spent avg. of 15 hours a week, do the same problems over and over (up to 5 times) until I could write reactions and synthesis in my sleep. It's a lot of work but it is absolutely doable. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice; however, I did do repetition for all three tests. For the first 2 tests, I did the problems 3 times, and for the third test, I did the problems 5 times. There was no difference in my scores, and I did considerably poorer than many students who only did the problems once or twice.

I consulted with the study skills expert at the student learning center, and he was unable to offer me any new advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice; however, I did do repetition for all three tests. For the first 2 tests, I did the problems 3 times, and for the third test, I did the problems 5 times. There was no difference in my scores, and I did considerably poorer than many students who only did the problems once or twice.

I consulted with the study skills expert at the student learning center, and he was unable to offer me any new advice.

Well, it's not repetition in terms of doing the same problems several times. That's unlikely to help you, after a point. What will, in most cases, is doing a wide variety of problems after you understand the basic concepts involved thoroughly. The more different types of problems you do and expose yourself to, the better. Wasn't it William Cowper that said, "Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavour?" Well, in your case, variety in problems could be your saving grace. I cannot emphasize this enough (obviously); do as many different types of problems as you can, not the same problems over and over again, after you've developed some basic mastery. And don't use ANY outside help before you try to figure it out on your own. In addition to my textbook, I used at least two or three different sources to find problems to do, some from different colleges, websites, and professors, etc. Being able to redo problems successfully doesn't tell us anything except that you have a working memory and can adequately regurgitate information.

Also, I think there may be a fundamental disconnect. Try walking through answering a sample test question with your professor, preferably one you haven't seen or done before, but is similar to a test question. He, or she can better diagnose your problem that way. Doing an entirely different problem, one that you've never seen before and are unfamiliar with, in a test type situation with an expert watching you as you work it, can reveal a lot about what's lacking. It may, in fact, be a fundamental error in thinking, knowledge, or approach that doesn't show up in textbook-type questions, or when you redo problems that you are familiar with, or have seen at least once.

Another suggestion that I have is to make your own practice tests. Yes, you heard me right. Design your own test in a fashion similar to the types of questions you expect to see on a real exam that your professor might give. Answer all your own questions. Trade practice tests with a friend and do his, or hers, too.

What might also help is to explain the concepts to others as if you were the professor. I know this helped me a lot, since I figured if I could teach this stuff to somebody who didn't understand the material, I'd be in pretty good shape. And I was.

Good luck! :luck:

Are the practice problems you're doing similar to the test problems? Also, are you on the right track on the real tests and just making careless errors, or do you just have no clue how to solve the test problems?

. . . do as many different types of problems as you can, not the same problems over and over again, after you've developed some basic mastery. And don't use ANY outside help before you try to figure it out on your own. In addition to my textbook, I used at least two or three different sources to find problems to do, some from different colleges, websites, and professors, etc. . . .

Also, I think there may be a fundamental disconnect. Try walking through answering a sample test question with your professor, preferably one you haven't seen or done before, but is similar to a test question. . . .

It may, in fact, be a fundamental error in thinking, knowledge, or approach that doesn't show up in textbook-type questions, or when you redo problems that you are familiar with, or have seen at least once.

Another suggestion that I have is to make your own practice tests.

What might also help is to explain the concepts to others as if you were the professor.

Good luck! :luck:
Thanks for your advice. I will try all of your suggestions (different problems, backup textbooks, walking through a problem with my professor [I'm on my way to see him now], practice tests, and teaching others.) I just hope it is not too late for me to get a decent grade.

Well, the semester is half-way over and I'm failing second semester Ochem and I don't know why.

I did poorly on the first test; I just couldn't remember anything no matter how many times I studied the mechanisms and understood nucleophiles and electrophiles. So for the second test, I restudied the earlier material, and reworked the problem sets for that test as well. Still no better than the first time around.

I went to get outside assistance (a tutor), and reworked things again.

For the third test, I redid and reworked things again, until I understood everything and was able to do all homework and problems without assistance. And I thought I did really well on the third test -- but again, I did below average.

It is _not_ test anxiety. During all the tests, I felt no stress or anxiety, and I felt that I was able to answer all the questions and do all the problems without any difficulty. Yet, when I got the tests back, my answers were all wrong. Yet, when I redid the homework and problem sets, I was able to get do the reactions and mechanisms correctly.

Neither my tutor nor the professor can figure out what I am doing wrong. And neither can I.

Any suggestions?

Ochem 2 for me was multiple guess...Also, the professor made a 50% an A... I got an A...

Ochem 2 for me was multiple guess...Also, the professor made a 50% an A... I got an A...

WHAT????????? Are you kidding me? I suffered through both OCHEMS with problems (NOT multiple guess), and a 90% as an A, no curve. I also made an A. Guess I'm just jealous! ;) I can't tell you the countless hours I spent studying for those courses.

There's a book called "pushing electrons" or something like that. I've heard people who were failing the course swear that little book saved their grade.

There's a book called "pushing electrons" or something like that. I've heard people who were failing the course swear that little book saved their grade.

Is that Hemmingway or Bukowski?:laugh:

I haven't heard of this book, but I think a similar concept is what's been helping me do well. My ochem professor always tells us to "think like a molecule" and always pay attention to what the electrons are up to.

I found that I was able to remember the concepts better when I start thinking about the properties of molecules before doing reactions problems. Instead of brute force practicing carbonyl reactions, first I tried to think more about the properties of a carbonyl structure. Where are the electron-dense and electron-poor regions? What end of the molecule is partially positive or negative? Where is a nucleophile going to attack, and why? When you commit those concepts into your brain, you'll have a greater chance of going down the right path when you have to write a mechanism that you're not 100% familiar with.

Also, even though some problems don't require you to write electron-pushing arrows, I find that I must do this in order to understand the mechanism. If you don't know what the electrons are doing, you won't know what the mechanism is doing. At that point you're just memorizing A + B --> C + D and that is going to be prone to error in an exam situation.

Found it. Published in 1998. Pushing Electrons: A Guide for Students of Organic Chemistry by Daniel P. Weeks. Available at amazon.com. I personally didn't use it, but I know folks who had HUGE problems in Ochem, read this book, and it was like a lightbulb going off in their heads (so they said).