continue taking second series ochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prissy1818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a weird situation. I have taken my ochem class at a community college but have heard many times that its looked down upon. I have graduated from a university with a BA in English and have already completed my Bio and Gen chem series and because of money situation decided to finish my prerequisites at a community college. My question is should I invest in going to a state university and dropping this class (class starts next month but resisted already) or continue the second series in this college? (also, I do plan on going to a post-bacc or doing a masters)
Also, non-related but I'm also taking a calculus course and was wondering if it mattered where its taken since it's not really part of the prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get many opinions on here because programs have different opinions on the topic. The general consensus is that having ALL your pre-reqs from a CC is a negative because it doesn't really show that you can handle a challenging and rigorous academic slate. However, I was in a similar situation where my post-bacc was at a very expensive, top 25 private university. I couldn't afford to take BioChem or OChem II there so I opted for CC and Extension classes. I managed to get in. But I also had a 3.9+ GPA prior to those classes so I had shown my ability.

Best advice I can give is get a copy of the MSAR and take a look at how the schools you are interested in applying to treat community college classes (some accept all classes at an accredited institute, some accept some courses but not others, and a few accept it on a case by case basis). Like the post above, I took some classes at a community college before switching to an extension school. The reason for that switch is that some of the schools on my list wanted some courses to be completed at a 4 year university. Best of luck to you.