OCPM/Kent State........Podiatry in General!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^No, a student posted a link and asked the staff to address it.

Members don't see this ad.

this was via the class of 2016 facebook group. Either she's lying or exposee is. I know Carla a bit and am inclined to trust her not an anonymous internet troll.

Sent from my SPH-D600 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Troll?

F... You!

Call Dean L... and ask yourself! Ask her how many student failed Lower! And then ask how many students failed out of the school! I know of a 2 of 5 that was in their second year and failed two classes so out they went!

Again, why would I make this up? I just wished someone would have told me these stats before I packed up my life and moved to the Ohio!

Again call the Dean, or better get a hold of a current student (class of 2015/2016) and ask their opinion!!!

+pissed+:woot::slap::beat:

Does anyone know the attrition rate for Scholl and exactly about how many students they started with a given first year and how many are left during their second year?

Does anyone know the attrition rate for Scholl and exactly about how many students they started with a given first year and how many are left during their second year?

This is not the appropriate place to ask that.... but maybe you'll get lucky!

These are estimates but for the class of 2014 we started out with 96 students. By the end of P1 we were down to 86 or something like that. So far this year there have been 2 more students who left but I am unsure whether it was due to academic reasons or family/personal issues. I have no idea about the class of 2015.

Thank you Ankle Breaker! So I guess it's similar to OCPM? I know there will be successful and failing students at every school, but 25 students failing at OCPM after one year does seem somewhat scary if that's true.

The OP is completely wrong again in regards to the grade distribution... Only 7 people failed lower anatomy (From Professor of class), and there is absolutely no way that a third of the class failed micro and neuro. In our school if you fail two classes you are automatically dismissed. Even if students were doing that miserably, professors would curve because that would be too much tuition money lost for the school. If you fail two or more classes at our school it is 100% your own fault. For some reason some of the students at our school don't keep up with their classes and cram the night before the test, do poorly, and then blame the professor for making the test hard. Maybe your numbers make you feel better but they are way off.

angry troll is angry

angry troll is angry

Putin-Medvedev-he-mad.jpg

Lol, Putin is one man I never want laughing at me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP is completely wrong again in regards to the grade distribution... Only 7 people failed lower anatomy (From Professor of class), and there is absolutely no way that a third of the class failed micro and neuro. In our school if you fail two classes you are automatically dismissed. Even if students were doing that miserably, professors would curve because that would be too much tuition money lost for the school. If you fail two or more classes at our school it is 100% your own fault. For some reason some of the students at our school don't keep up with their classes and cram the night before the test, do poorly, and then blame the professor for making the test hard. Maybe your numbers make you feel better but they are way off.

Only 7? Still seems pretty high to me. I think LLA is probably a pretty important class, right?

Surprising,not as much as you would imagine;p

yea I agree thats 7 too many. The reason I said only is because the OP said that only 50 out of 76 passed.

yet 7 of 76 can more easily be attributed to poor studying and prep on the students part

yea I agree thats 7 too many. The reason I said only is because the OP said that only 50 out of 76 passed.

The OP claimed that 50 out of 76 FAILED lower extremity. In other words, that 65% of his class failed. That's pretty impossible to believe.

I really don't get someone failing LLA.

I mean...you're still in school, so obviously you didn't fail everything else and can achieve at /least/ the minimum required grades to remain in the program.

Additionally, this is the whole point of being in the program. If anything there should be a dramatic increase in effort and motivation when you /freaking finally/ get to start studying things that seem applicable.

If you fail LLA, what the hell were you doing there to begin with?

I really don't get someone failing LLA.

I mean...you're still in school, so obviously you didn't fail everything else and can achieve at /least/ the minimum required grades to remain in the program.

Additionally, this is the whole point of being in the program. If anything there should be a dramatic increase in effort and motivation when you /freaking finally/ get to start studying things that seem applicable.

If you fail LLA, what the hell were you doing there to begin with?

I echo your sentiment. LLA will probably be one of the first classes that will ACTUALLY matter for my education. That's when I bust out my motivation. Healing feet from every nation. Even at the nurse station.

good point, imagine passing biochem (which doesnt really matter as a practicing pod) only to fail LLA, mind boggling:confused:

good point, imagine passing biochem (which doesnt really matter as a practicing pod) only to fail LLA, mind boggling:confused:

I think you mean mind bottling.... like when your mind is trapped in a bottle... :cool:

I think you mean mind bottling.... like when your mind is trapped in a bottle... :cool:

Boggle: Be astonished or overwhelmed when trying to imagine something: "the mind boggles at the spectacle".

So.......

Boggle: Be astonished or overwhelmed when trying to imagine something: "the mind boggles at the spectacle".

So.......
Ha, obviously you havent seen the movie I am referencing or you just cant spot sarcasm when you see it :D

Ha, obviously you havent seen the movie I am referencing or you just cant spot sarcasm when you see it :D

Sorry, lol I have t seen that movie, so I didnt sense the sarcasm.

He's talking about when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, you know? Like in a bottle.

Goodness, you guys need to step up your movie knowledge. You couldn't hold my jock sweat when it comes to pop culture!

Those 7 who failed lower most likely failed another class and are probably out... And if you do fail lower and manage to pass the others (mind bottling situation) I imagine boards will be another stumbling block and then landing a residency after that.

"Actually matter?" All of the courses matter. Yes, LLA may be more "directly related" to our profession than biochemistry for example, but there are biochemistry principles which are key to understanding pharmacological properties of drugs you will be prescribing.

Many people have worked hard to increase parity for our profession and it seems to me that discussion of not wanting to put the same effort forth in those "unrelated" classes speaks and works against what our advocates have done.

You want parity with/respect from MDs/DOs and the rest of the medical community? Well be prepared to do the work to earn it. The feet that we (will) treat are connected to a body and we should be prepared accordingly. I'm not saying we have to be able to treat everything (no doctor does that) but be knowledgable enough to know the next few steps/who specifically to refer to.

Learning medicine (whatever branch) is a privilege (although an expensive one) and as future clinicians we need to treat our whole education with hard work and determination, not just the "podiatry specific" courses.

Reactions: 1 user
"Actually matter?" All of the courses matter. Yes, LLA may be more "directly related" to our profession than biochemistry for example, but there are biochemistry principles which are key to understanding pharmacological properties of drugs you will be prescribing.

Probably going to venture out on a limb here and say that most doctors have no idea how the drugs they prescribe truly work. Realistically, if that were the case, MDs would be the people creating and distributing drugs, not pharmacists.

Priorities.... LLA should be one of them... genetics.... not so much.

Probably going to venture out on a limb here and say that most doctors have no idea how the drugs they prescribe truly work. Realistically, if that were the case, MDs would be the people creating and distributing drugs, not pharmacists.

Biochemistry and pharmacology were just examples. Refer back to my third paragraph
I'm not saying we have to be able to treat everything (no doctor does that) but be knowledgable enough to know the next few steps/who specifically to refer to.
I didn't say we needed to know exactly how things worked in every minutia but we should have an idea of how they generally work. I would not want to see a doctor who is giving me a drug and he/she has no idea how it works. If you are going to prescribe something, you need to understand generally how it works, it's indications/contraindications and some of the more common complications.

Priorities.... LLA should be one of them... genetics.... not so much.

I didn't say biochem/genetics was a priority over LLA. My point is that the basic science courses shouldn't be dismissed as unimportant. You should be willing to put your best into each course. I understand you have to decide study priorities between the courses you are taking at any given time, but if a course was truly not important/a priority it wouldn't be in the curriculum.

I don't mean this to be a post to stir up controversy but whether you agree with me or not, I firmly believe that overall there needs to be a shift of the mindset of the podiatry student in regards to classes which may not be "directly related" to the field.

Ignorant comment.

Last edited:
misinterpreted what you had said pacpod... i def. agree with you in that no classes should be deemed as unimportant

Sink or swim.

Tough luck if you thought you could get through a rigorous program with a piss poor 2.5 entrance gpa.

Sorry for the harsh words, and I am aware that I am making assumptions, but I stand by my statements.

It is robbery that the schools admit these types of students. I would venture out and say that most of these students will never pass the program (and the schools know it).

/rant over

agreed, its a degree in podiatric medicine not art appreciation. once you commit be ready to work your ass off right?

You pre-pods don't know what you are talking about.
I will give you my experience at DMU. I started out of the gate like a boss. Biochem, Cell Bio, Path..."all Non-important" classes. Those classes really padded my GPA. I have never had a bad class, but eventually things start getting really close GPA-wise. At DMU you take all the pod specific courses 2nd semester 2nd year. By then, the average grade was 90 percent or so. I was still doing above average though. I have and am continuing to receive some great benefits due to my GPA. And guess what, it has nothing to do with my LLA or Pod Med Sx grades, it has everything to do with 1st year general medicine grades.
Moral of the story: Don't take anything for granted and don't ever get complacent. Like Dtrack said before, it isn't something you just "turn on"

EDIT: The sooner you pre-pods (soon to be 1st years) realize it is a game and how to play the game, the better off you will be. Good luck

You pre-pods don't know what you are talking about.
I will give you my experience at DMU. I started out of the gate like a boss. Biochem, Cell Bio, Path..."all Non-important" classes. Those classes really padded my GPA. I have never had a bad class, but eventually things start getting really close GPA-wise. At DMU you take all the pod specific courses 2nd semester 2nd year. By then, the average grade was 90 percent or so. I was still doing above average though. I have and am continuing to receive some great benefits due to my GPA. And guess what, it has nothing to do with my LLA or Pod Med Sx grades, it has everything to do with 1st year general medicine grades.
Moral of the story: Don't take anything for granted and don't ever get complacent. Like Dtrack said before, it isn't something you just "turn on"

EDIT: The sooner you pre-pods (soon to be 1st years) realize it is a game and how to play the game, the better off you will be. Good luck

Yes! As another DMU'er, I completely agree.

this is definitely stuff we need to hear, keep it coming!

Airbud, I understand what you're saying, and I always appreciate your insight, however I was merely suggesting that classes like biochem won't matter to my job as a podiatrist as much as LLA will. Obviously it's always good to do well in all your classes in pod school as that will allow you to pass boards and get matched well. However, there won't be any real-world use for biochem, whereas LLA will be used everyday and therefore I would think students will have more motivation to do well as it matters to your job, not just your education.

In other words, all classes are important, but LLA is especially important as you will need to know this perfectly as a pod.

Yes.
But, your job for the next 2 years is not to think "real world." Your focus is putting yourself in position to apply for clerkships (maybe boards, but that is only for 2 months). Your job is do whatever you have to do to get high grades. It is that simple. Sure, extra-curriculars are fun (do them because you want to, not because you think it might help your CV), but the only that matters is the GPA. High GPA = Any externship you want. One of the things that is good about DMU and I can't speak for other schools, is the block scheduling. For the most part you can have tunnel vision. You wake up each morning and say "all I have to worry about today is biochemistry." Probably not the best advice, but the first 2 years are not about "learning stuff" it is about memorizing stuff. 3rd year you start putting things together, then 4th year you really start doing so ( I am guessing).

EDIT- As far as LLA goes, I remember one of professors saying "LLA is the most important class you will take." As each day has gone on during 3rd year, I am continually reminded of how true this is.

Last edited:
I feel as though I opened up a can of worms through a misinterpretation of what I meant.

I never meant to say other classes weren't important at all....

...what I meant was, if you can succeed all the way up to /taking/ LLA, then I have no idea how a person would fail it.

When I say "finally actually matters", I mean to say I read about things every day, seemingly all day long, and see a foot maybe....once a week?

It's like being a music major, and learning all the physics behind it, and how the brain perceives it, and all I really want to do is pick up the guitar and jam.

If you can't succeed in LLA, I'll say again, what the hell are you doing in pod school? If they legitimately cannot pass for mental weakness, then....what the hell is admissions doing letting them in?

Thanks for the input, airbud....good stuff to know.

I think airbud just made several SDN viewers into gunners. :D

Do pod schools have gunners???

I mean, I know you want to get the best residency, but based on entering stats and the fact there isn't competition for certain specializations, do gunners really exist??

Yes most definitely. Students want great residencies but students are also vying for scholarships in the P2-P4 years as well.

And I imagine there will be a bit more gunning at the schools where those scholarships hinge on class rank versus just a gpa cuttoff.

I think airbud just made several SDN viewers into gunners. :D

No, I am not. I am simply saying be responsible for your success. To me "gunners" implies a cut throat attitude. I have stated on here many times how I have never seen this attitude at DMU. I have always said everybody is willing to share study guides and help others how they can. There is no curve, everyone can get A's if they so choose. I will be successful as a result of my actions, and you will be successful as a result of your actions. In fact, I have spent a great deal of time tutoring and helping others, which I really enjoy, and that has helped me personally as well.

So grow up, you are in professional school. Your actions have long lasting consequences. It is not necessarily fair. Like I said in a previous posts in various threads, the professional opportunities you have in life are largely dependent on where you do residency. The residency you get depends almost completely on where you do clerkships. Clerkships depend almost completely on GPA. My high GPA is due mostly to excelling in non-POD classes. Get my point?
To incoming students, the best part about this is that when you come to Pod school, you can be whomever you want to be. Your past does not matter. It is your work ethic and motivation. Thats all.
I know some people on here think I come across as a robot some times, but I assure you that is not true. Pod school is an incredibly fun time. You will make great friends that last a lifetime. But it goes fast. I say this as I get ready to go out on clerkships and have had to recently say "see you at graduation" to people that I have spent a large chunk of the last 3 years with.
Again, be responsible for your education and ultimately your success.

EDIT: I am not saying there is a 1:1 correlation between GPA, residency, success, etc....I am saying do everything you can do put yourself in the drivers seat. Don't ever close a door or not be able or eligible to do something because of a previous mistake. If you fail at or don't achieve at something it is because of your own misdoings, not because you were never given the opportunity to succeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.