Oct. Subject Test Scores Available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lindz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that you can find out your Oct.6 subject test score today by phone. I actually was also wondering how to interpret the scores....I know there have been previous threads about this, but what would be considered a "good" or strong score for research-oriented Ph.d programs? Is anything over a 700 good (I remember one comment saying that at Penn a 700 would be sub-par).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for this post i thought we couldn't call til tomorrow! i think percentile matters more than the scaled score, but i don't really know.

:laugh:

Last edited:
Anything over 700 and I'd hazard a guess its unlikely the psych GRE will be thing that stops you from getting in somewhere.

It was probably me who said that...I looked it up since I was eyeing Penn at one point (and of everyone there, it would have been Seligman I was applying to...I mean come on, how could I NOT get accepted? ;) ). I believe the average psych GRE at Penn is an 800. Honestly though, I doubt its considered that heavily. Its probably just accidental that everyone gets around an 800 since most of the folks there are probably too busy publishing cures for cancer and pooping diamonds to spend much time studying for it. I assume they would accept someone with a 700 as long as they also have the other two criteria covered.

They're kind of an "outlier" though. Anything in the 700 range is good for the VAST majority of even top-notch PhD programs.