Octet Rule Violations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that H, Be, B, etc.. are the exceptions. However, Be for example is a violation because it only has 2 electrons in its s orbital - can only form 2 bonds to have 4 total electrons. If this is true, why aren't atoms in the same column as Be, like Mg, a violation too?

Members don't see this ad.

The quantum theory of the atom explains the eight electrons as a closed shell with an s2p6 electron configuration. A closed-shell configuration is one in which low-lying energy levels are full and higher energy levels are empty. For example the neon atom ground state has a full n=2 shell (2s2 2p6) and an empty n=3 shell. According to the octet rule, the atoms immediately before and after neon in the periodic table (i.e. C, N, O, F, Na, Mg and Al), tend to attain a similar configuration by gaining, losing, or sharing electrons. (Wikipedia)
Mg has electrons in p orbital can achieve s2p6 configuration while Be would never because it has too few electrons. If you notice all elements without p orbital violates octet rule.

Thanks for the info!

Just to clarify, by Mg having p orbitals, you're obviously talking about the 2p orbitals right? Also does that last statement about all elements without p orbital violating the octet rule stand for B? Since B has a partially filled p, why does it then violate the octet?

And lastly, does He have 2e- in outer shell and Li has 4 like Be?

Yes, I meant Mg has electron in 2p orbital.
Boron does have 1 electron in 2p orbital (I meant to say all elements which has no electron p orbital at all violates octet rule, H, He,Li, Be) and it violates octet rule for having too few electrons, if it even shares all electrons still can't achieve octet.
You can't say outer shell for period one elements, it only has one shell and have electrons in 1s orbital.
Elements: H, He

the outer shell is the valence electrons and they are very loosely bound to the nucleus - less force by the nucleus on the valence electrons, so valence shell's electrons are exchanged first in any reaction.

As you know group I has 1 valance electron and 2 has 2 and so forth.
Lithium's 2nd shell is outermost and it contain 2s orbital holding 1 electron, which it can lose to become Li+ ion.

Be has 2 electron in outermost shell.
Chad mentions in his video all elements can have all type of orbital. For example Hydrogen has s,p,d,f all orbitals but doesn't have enough electrons to be placed in p,d,f orbital,

I might be confusing you more, but Please watch Chad's videos for Chem and Ochem.
They will clear out most of the confusions.