OD not DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AhmedDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know something is telling OD for you not DO ?? Should I apply for both of them or not?, then see what would happen ;)
I know OD is optometry school, but I am still attracted to it. This is wear for real :D

Members don't see this ad.

You should apply to whatever career appeals to you most. If you still haven't decided whether to be a DO or an optometrist apply to both and see what happens. Be sure though, that you're ready to deal with the acceptances where ever they may fall. Be prepared to answer the "why are you applying to both" question when you interview. Most schools will have you list every health professions program you're applying to. DO schools will ask you why you're applying to OD schools as well. Have a good reason ready for them.

To sum up.. do whatever is going to make you happy to do for the next forty years. It's a big decision to make and if you need more info about being an OD and what's involved in the application process feel free to ask! We're here to help!
:D GOOD LUCK!!

I agree with cpw on this one.... I'm sure you'll hear it time and time again.... Do what's best for you and know why you're getting yourself in that profession. Remember you'll be doing it for the rest of your professional career....

Good luck and best wishes.... Post up any questions for pre-opt or opt students.... They've been helpful to me as far as getting to know more about the profession

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your D.O. then O.D. and you will be a

"AHMEDDOOD"

Wow think of how great your shingle would look with DOOD behind your name!

And "DOOD's" really do exist! I know of a few of them. The question is why would you want both? They must really love going to school.

some of our profs are MD,OD,PhD or OD,MPH,JD... talk about loving school!!
geez!

My suggestion would be do become a D.O. and attempt a residency in opthamology. That is, if you wish to practice medicine.