Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Odds of getting accepted

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by adamiconography, Nov 27, 2018.

1. adamiconography

Hey everyone!

I am a little bit of a later applicant. I got my BS in molecular biology in 2011 and my MS in pharmaceutical chemistry in 2012. I worked in corporate pharmacy/operations for almost 5 years prior to applying to a nursing program. I currently work full-time in a multi-system ICU setting rounding with critical care pharmacists which really piqued my interest in pursuing.
    In grad school I took upper levels courses in biochemistry, molecular biology, and pharmaceutical chemistry (two semester course in pharmacodynamics, indications/contraindications, etc).
    My undergrad GPA was rather lackluster at a 3.1 but my graduate GPA was a 3.94. I plan on taking the PCAT within the next year.

I know it's important to have stellar grades; however, in addition to working as a nurse I also work as a part-time adjunct professor chemistry. My course bridges general, organic, and biochemistry into an allied health setting.

Basically:
    uGPA: 3.1
    gGPA: 3.94
    Healthcare experience: 5-years in multi-pharmacy management; 2 years in multi-system ICU setting rounding with critical care pharmacists
    Pharmacy experience: 7 years; 5 medical management and 2 ICU
    PCAT: I'm hoping for > 75th percentile
    Volunteer experience: tutoring, volunteering at community medical events
    Random additional: part-time certified barre, TRX, and cycle instructor, conversational Spanish and ASL.

I'll be about 33 by the time I apply, and was wondering what my odds were initially before I begin looking, or whether I should hang it up and move into a nurse management position when the time comes available.

I appreciate the feedback.

2. DruggieDoRight

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    100% chance of getting accepted

3. Gombrich12

5+ Year Member

You can do better than pharmacy.

OmiPharmD and princeafrica like this.
  4. Tommy1234

5+ Year Member

Just curious. Why not become nurse practitioner or nurse anesthetist since you already a nurse in ICU? It's only 2 yrs program

5. BC_89

Moderator Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    As far as odds of acceptance: Unless you can’t interview well, many programs would love to have you so no concern on this portion.

Your intrigued with critical care pharmacists, but what are your thoughts of retail settings? Majority of jobs are in these settings and can prove to be stressors for many applicants even after getting a residency.

Also, as a nontrad: if you can keep your debt low and willing to work in all 50 states (rural and metro) then your halfway there. Saturation and salary margins are being watched and is not looking great in the next few years.

In short, If you see yourself doing something else, I’d do that something else.

6. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Very impressive resume. What position did you hold in pharmacy operations/management and what was your salary? Also how much did you make as an part-time professor?

7. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This was true 20 years ago. Now, the # of pharmacy schools have doubled, and schools will pretty much take anyone. Lots of stories here from people with barely 2.0 getting accepted (and then we see them post later when they flunk out of pharmacy school or can't pass the NAPLEX.) So, your grades are pretty top compared to many applicants, you will have no trouble getting it.

As BC89 mentioned, unless you would be happy working retail, don't go into pharmacy, as about 65% of pharmacy jobs are in retail, 30% in hospital, and 5% elsewhere. Be aware that saturation is real, especially in big desirable cities. If you are OK with moving anywhere in the country, and taking a pharmacist job in retail, you will do fine. If you plan to only work as a hospital pharmacist in a big city, then prepare to keep working as a nurse, because it's unlikely you will get a job as a pharmacist.