Odds of getting into a school this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruprick

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK I realize that I am a very late applicant, but I seek your honest advice. I also realize that I may not get in this year.

I have already paid for (but not taken) the DAT and am submitting my AADSAS application tomorrow. I am a non-traditional student and have been in the workforce with a solid career for the past several years. My science GPA is around 3.5 and I feel like I have a solid app and LORs. I graduated from BYU with a B.S. in Biology a few years back.

So my question is: should I even bother submitting my application and paying the fees? Do I have any chance at all in getting in? My plan was to apply to 3-5 schools that are still accepting applications.

What do you all think? Should I just scrap my plans and shoot for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Ruprick said:
OK I realize that I am a very late applicant, but I seek your honest advice. I also realize that I may not get in this year.

I have already paid for (but not taken) the DAT and am submitting my AADSAS application tomorrow. I am a non-traditional student and have been in the workforce with a solid career for the past several years. My science GPA is around 3.5 and I feel like I have a solid app and LORs. I graduated from BYU with a B.S. in Biology a few years back.

So my question is: should I even bother submitting my application and paying the fees? Do I have any chance at all in getting in? My plan was to apply to 3-5 schools that are still accepting applications.

your science gpa is great, when are you taking the DAT's? the thing is that it takes about 3 weeks to get the dat scores to the dental schools and the schools that are still accepting have deadlines on march 1'st. then you also don't know how long it will take aadsas to process your application and to send your info to the schools. you could call up and ask them if thats even possible anymore. i would wait till next year. good luck with whatever you decide to do. :confused:

save yourself money and a lot of stress. apply for next cycle in may. you will have a 100% better chance of getting in than if you apply tomorrow. by this time in the cycle, schools have more applications than they know what to to with.

with your stats, you will have a much better chance of getting in next cycle. by this time in the cycle, it seems as though schools will want a 3.8 or above GPA and 20s and above on the DAT.

just my 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Nendo21 said:
your science gpa is great, when are you taking the DAT's? the thing is that it takes about 3 weeks to get the dat scores to the dental schools and the schools that are still accepting have deadlines on march 1'st. then you also don't know how long it will take aadsas to process your application and to send your info to the schools. you could call up and ask them if thats even possible anymore. i would wait till next year. good luck with whatever you decide to do. :confused:

I was under the impression that the March 1st deadline was the deadline to submit the application, not the deadline for AADSAS to have processed and sent the app to the school? (Not to mention received the final DAT scores). AADSAS only gives me the option right now to apply to schools with deadlines 2/01 and later.

I am taking the DAT in two weeks.

Ruprick said:
I was under the impression that the March 1st deadline was the deadline to submit the application, not the deadline for AADSAS to have processed and sent the app to the school? (Not to mention received the final DAT scores). AADSAS only gives me the option right now to apply to schools with deadlines 2/01 and later.

I am taking the DAT in two weeks.

I think if you have the extra money to spend on the application, you should go for it. I did this my first year just to get my name across their desks....and I ended up on the alternate list for that school. Even if you don't get in this year, they will see that you are serious when you apply again next year. At this point with so many applications and it just getting more and more competitive each year.....I'd do anything I could. Also, most schools will take a faxed unofficial DAT score until the official one gets there.

Ruprick said:

I've been accused of ignoring BYU in some threads. Of course I didn't mean it. Here's my advice, since you came from BYU, and somebody was saying even dogs at UNLV are from BYU:), so why don't you try UNLV. Make sure you meet the deadline. Call them up and send them your transcript, LOR and test scores directly to save time. The interview runs for at least another month. I wish you good luck.

Profchaos said:
I've been accused of ignoring BYU in some threads. Of course I didn't mean it. Here's my advice, since you came from BYU, and somebody was saying even dogs at UNLV are from BYU:), so why don't you try UNLV. Make sure you meet the deadline. Call them up and send them your transcript, LOR and test scores directly to save time. The interview runs for at least another month. I wish you good luck.

Only problem: I didn't take biochemistry :(

If I don't get in this year I am planning on taking it so I have a few more options.

Ruprick said:
Only problem: I didn't take biochemistry :(

If I don't get in this year I am planning on taking it so I have a few more options.
As far as I know, you will be alright if you do in the summer. They would let you in as long as you get it done before school starts.

Profchaos said:
As far as I know, you will be alright if you do in the summer. They would let you in as long as you get it done before school starts.

That's good to know! Wish me luck guys ... I'm 29 and not getting any younger. I need to get started!

Save your time and money....Prepare yourself to take the DAT a little more and apply EARLY for 2006. You will have a much better shot at the schools you want.

Ruprick said:

Even though you have good stats, i dont think you are an outstanding some some, only due to the fact that you are applying after 12500 students for like 4000 spots that are already pretty much taken. I think you could have planned it better before. However, i am sure that u have some chances to get it this year, but i am sure that if you apply for the next cycle i think that you will probably get in to the school that you really wanted to go. 29 or 30 not much diff. as long as you got something going full time
good luck man