off the waitlist yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This news makes me just so happy Christiangirl I am absolutely beaming!
Congratulations to you. You totally deserved it. And I guess fate works in mysterious ways!
Best of luck in Mayo. You will be one great doctor!!!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

OK, everyone is happy so I wanted to add to the fun. I got denied by a million schools and was waitlisted at a handful and had gotten in nowhere. I was freaking out too, posting my resume on monster.com to find a job and talking to people about offshore medical schools and D.O. schools. But then, what do you know, last week NYMC accepted me and today I got a letter from Wake Forest. So they are coming and spots are opening up and I really think that most of us are going to get into the schools we want. So for everyone that is still freaking out I want to say that chances are that it will all work out in the end and we'll be doctors happily ever after. the end :) :eek: :D ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :p

Very true.

Congratulations!! Yigit.

Members don't see this ad :)
In at P&S. Very Excited. Good luck to everyone who is waiting on them!!! Hope to see you there!

Christiangirl,
just out of curiousity, did Mayo's letter specify the name of the scholarship that they gave you?

Congrats and best of luck. be sure to invest in a good winter coat though... <g>

Congrats lestat--
I just have a couple questions for you, if you don't mind answering. What did you do after being notified that you were on the waitlist? (ex. send letter of intent, call the office, etc) How were you notified?

Thanks..and once again congrats, Columbia is a great school.

Hi Chimera!
Yes, I sent in a strong letter of intent. P&S was really my top choice. I am choosing it over all other equally well know schools. As I had promised on the letter, I am withdrawing from all other schools now. I think they will be accepting quite a few after May 15th since their process changed a little bit this year. Good luck! I hope to see you there if that's your first choice!!! - lestat d'lioncourt

Originally posted by lestat:
•Hi Chimera!
Yes, I sent in a strong letter of intent. P&S was really my top choice. I am choosing it over all other equally well know schools. As I had promised on the letter, I am withdrawing from all other schools now. I think they will be accepting quite a few after May 15th since their process changed a little bit this year. Good luck! I hope to see you there if that's your first choice!!! - lestat d'lioncourt•

Hey lestat! Congrats!
I was wondering... when did you receive the good news and how? Email? Phone call?

Originally posted by bf:
•Hey lestat! Congrats!
I was wondering... when did you receive the good news and how? Email? Phone call?•

Hey bf - I received a phone call from him last week. I was shocked actually, since It came earlier than I expected. I think schools use any means necessary to contact waitlisted applicants (email/phone/letter), especially during the summer. Good luck!!!

Originally posted by lestat:
•Hey bf - I received a phone call from him last week. I was shocked actually, since It came earlier than I expected. I think schools use any means necessary to contact waitlisted applicants (email/phone/letter), especially during the summer. Good luck!!!•

Congrats lestat!! That's fantastic. Where are you turning down for P&S? My opthamologist went there and loved it!! You're in for a treat!! Best wishes!!!

Thank you SO much caffeinegirl!! :) I know you will make UCSF proud as well!! You are still headed there, right? Maybe we will see one another in four years. :)

Hey yigit!! Which are you leaning towards more to hold past the 15th? I don't know NYMC, but living here in NC, I have a couple of friends who went to WF and love the curriculum. Best wishes on your choice!!

Just out of curiousity...did anyone get off Yale's waitlist yet? I'm dying to get in and Silverman told me my position is good but not great! Or is anyone giving up a spot at Yale to go to another program??
Well, I guess I'll just have wait and see but any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
:D

Originally posted by Christiangirl:
•Congrats lestat!! That's fantastic. Where are you turning down for P&S? My opthamologist went there and loved it!! You're in for a treat!! Best wishes!!!•

Thanks Christiangirl!
In spite of tremendous pressure from people around me, I am turning down Hopkins for P&S. Also, I was waitlisted at Harvard's N.Pathway. But, I think I have made up my mind. Anyways, good look to you as well!!!!!!! Best wishes, lestat d'lioncourt

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey lestat,

So all you did for P&S was write a single letter of strong intent? That's pretty interesting. I was under the impression you had to harass them 24/7 to even have a chance.

Originally posted by Rza:
•Hey lestat,

So all you did for P&S was write a single letter of strong intent? That's pretty interesting. I was under the impression you had to harass them 24/7 to even have a chance.•

Dear Rza: No, it wasn't a single letter. I planned on sending him letter on a monthly basis (i.e. 2 letters so far), as Dr. Frantz suggests on the waitlist letter of Feb 15. There was a very very significant update on my academic honors in my senior year, that's why I wrote the second letter to update the committee on that. So, in short, I did not harass them 24/7. I just waited. - lestat

Originally posted by Sunlyght:
•P&S? :confused:

Columbia, I believe, because it's called "Columbia University of Physicians and Surgeons". Don't worry -- I think the abbreviation is an East coast thing. ;)

What's up, y'all!!??
Just got into UMASS (off the waitlist) this past Friday!
I am psyched!
Later!
Sarah

thanks lilycat....I thought I was going to have to suffer in silence.

Originally posted by Sunlyght:
•thanks lilycat....I thought I was going to have to suffer in silence.•

My apologies Sunlyght. I though you were joking. Best wishes.....

:)

It's now officially MAY 15th!!!

MAY 15TH!!! What am I excited about? I made my choice last November...

YAY! i just got off my favorite waitlist! YAY!

Good luck to everyone else waiting--I know it's aggravating as all hell...As of 1 hour ago, I was living in it.

btw, I wrote this email to the Dean last week and apparently it worked. :D I wrote him telling him why I wanted to go to that school in particular and the number of schools I was willing to give up in favor of it. I was kinda iffy about the whole email thing, but I didn't want to waste a few days sending snail mail!

best of luck to everyone else!

Hey Christiangirl.

Finally read your fantastic news. I'm so happy for you. Irony: Mayo was originally my first choice, but they rejected me without an interview. Got a scholarship to Duke, though. How very strange this process is. I think we end up where we belong.

Anyway, I'm absolutely delighted for you. Congratulations!

Poohbear...don't leave us hanging!!! Where are you going? You said favorite list so it must be somewhere worth the wait!!!
Please post and good luck next year
:cool: :D
--spacecadet22

One of my best friends just got a call from the Dean of Admissions at Columbia last week saying she was accepted off the waitlist. And while I think she is the most awesome person ever, she isn't superhuman and didnt have freaky high scores or GPA, no lab experience, (and also didnt even take labs with her science classes), hardly any hospital stuff. She just has a great personality.

Anyone here on the waitlist for Georgetown, George Washington, or MCV/VCU? I am getting realy nervous. I have already mailed one letter of intent. (I was waitlisted at the end of March for GW and VCU and the end of April for Gtown). Anything else I should do? Does anyone know if Gtown's "high Priority" list is the same as a regular waitlist?
Anways, congrats to everyone getting in!

Hey there,
I haven't been posting lately, but have been keeping up with this forum. First of all, congrats to all who have received good news so far. I am just writing to say I GOT off the waitlist at my first choice school yesterday! I am so excited. Now that it is finally happened though it is hard to believe it is true. My point: if you are still waiting...dreams do come true

:D

Spacecadet22,

It's actually your new school now too. I was waiting on Tulane and Tufts, and Tulane came back first. So, we'll be classmates this fall. :D (I dunno about Tufts--they took too damn long to get back to me)

So, the spot I was holding previously (I was a good person and gave up my other two spots in March and April) was at Univ of Il, at Chicago, so someone who wants the Chicago campus is now going to be very happy to be getting out of the cornfields.

Poohbear,
It's you, me, & yigit in NOLA!!! I'm so excited and thanks for sharing! :D :D
Do either of you have any idea about how to get a place down there?
If you would like to email one another, feel free! I can't wait to meet everyone!
spacecadet22

Oh how cool...poohbear joins The Green Wave of Tulane Medical School!!! Don't forget Simul, he is going there too. I don't know where I'm living yet, but I'm leaning towards the French Quarter. It's not every day that one gets the chance to experience such a special place. I'm looking forward to having a couch on one of those balconies so that I can come home from a long day of work and plop down outside and eat some crawfish. heeheehee :oops: :D :cool: :rolleyes: :( ;) :eek: :confused:

GOOD NEWS! Chi-Chi and I both got into Cornell! Yeah! We got an email today. :) :) :)

yigit -

I tried personally emailing you, but was unable... congrats on your acceptance, as as to all others. one thing, though - my family used to live in Nawlins, and I don't know if you really want to head back to your apt in the French Quarter late at night... Not that all of NO is safe by any means, but the french quarter is not among the best areas.

Too many vampires :D

Originally posted by lizard:
•GOOD NEWS! Chi-Chi and I both got into Cornell! Yeah! We got an email today. :) :) :)

That is AWESOME lizard!! I am so excited for you all!! Are you turning down UMich for Cornell? Also, how did you campaign? You are on your way girl!!!

Christiangirl: Yes, we will turn down UMich for Cornell. Our top choices were Cornell, Yale, and UPenn (and we were waitlisted to all three). We also kept our waitlists at Wash U and Columbia, but we weren't that excited with either. We have campaigned like crazy at UPenn, but we've still come up empty handed. For the other waitlists, we just sent a simple letter of interest and a new recommendation--that's it. Although UPenn is still my favorite, I'm exhausted from all these months of anxiety and just want to get settled soon--so I don't know how much longer we're going to wait.

BTW, congrats with Mayo. It sounds like a great school and you can't beat the free tuition! :)

Hi Lizard!

Congratulations on your Cornell acceptance. I'm also waitlisted there and waiting to hear good news. At least we know that Cornell's list is moving :). So, you think that the letter of intent and the additional recommendation helped?

Hey there, Lizard and Chi-Chi- WOW!! That's great news that you got into Cornell- I was pumping for you (we met at Columbia). See you in NYC!

And yigit- I remember posting awhile back about me being on three waitlists and being real discouraged about my chances of getting off- you were pretty optimistic about YOUR whole waitlist situation, I admire that. See, it all worked out in the end- everyone who didn't give up hope was right!

As for moi, I (finally) got into AECOM a few weeks ago. It was actually not off the waitlist- they just took ages to give me an answer after the interview. But I'm really excited about it- it was the school I got the best vibes from during the tour/interview and although I'm waitlisted at several "higher-ranking" schools (and am still waiting for an answer from U Toronto, arguably Canada's best medical school but one that gives out NO acceptances until May 31), I've decided to follow my instincts and it's off to the Bronx for me.

So my acceptance FINALLY came. I'm just real glad that this whole nightmarish process is over and that I won't have to reapply....

Good luck to all fellow waitlistees, the moral of these stories is "never lose hope..." (until September, at least)

Hi Megrrl!

Congrats on your AECOM acceptance. I'm also holding and acceptance there and it seemst that's where I'm going...what is your overall impression of the school?

Hey guys! I'm in a bit of bind. I'm waitlisted by two state schools and I still have yet to hear from FOUR schools that I've interviewed. What can the four schools be possibly waiting on at this point? I already sent a letter of intent to two schools. Would directly e-mailing the dean be a good idea?

Poohbear, I'm still waiting on Tufts too. Boston is such a great city.

guardian,
Did you call the schools you haven't heard from? That sounds a little weird that they haven't told you a thing.
As for emailing the Dean, I have had some really good luck with that approach. If the school has a dean of admissions though...I think she is the way to go.
Keep your chin up and let us know how it goes, k? ;)

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!

Pedronavaja: I think that a letter of interest and rec help because it shows your interest without being overly pushy. I think the desperately begging method can work, but it can also go sour. I think that may have happened with Penn. In the end, who really knows because this whole process is so mysterious.

hi lizard!

I know what you mean about this process being mysterios. My interview at Wisconsin, Madison was excellent. The lady even called my pre-med advisor saying that she really hoped I'd choose them. My interview was in mid november and I didn't hear from them until 2 weeks ago...they placed me as their #30 alternate saying that it was very unlikely for them to go above #15...go figure :(
Anyways, I hope I hear good news from Cornell. That's definitely my first choice.

pedro - the stuff at Wisconsin gets even better... there was actually a rather large change in the way that people were selected for interview, starting with last year's interviewees. The more ridiculous thing is that there alternate list goes past one hundred. I can go on about WI, but this is not the correct topic to do so.

yeah twister!!

It makes no sense for them to have a list up to 100 if they only take about 15. Anyways, there's no way we can figure out what's going in their minds. This is indeed a very strange process.

Hey spacecadet,
I just found out I was waitlisted by Tufts :( today and I called Temple and they told me the class was filled and I'd be on the Continuing Candidates List, whatever that is :mad: ! That only leaves NYMed and they are sending letters this week. I hope I don't set a wait list record :mad:
Maybe I should have e-mailed the dean at Tufts.

guardian,
Hang in there...I know personally know someone who got off Tuft's waitlists around August 1st. Lots of people pull out there because of money!!! As for Temple, it's in a horrible neighborhood anyway and NYMC is just slow. I was offered an interview in Jan for appoitment day in April...3 month delay. So don't get down. chin up. fingers crossed. I'll keep mine crossed for you.
;)
PS-- And email the dean at Tufts now and tell him why you would be such a good fit for tufts and why you like the program!!!

Hey Spacecadet,
Thanks for the encouragement. I've heard of someone getting into a school a week before class started, so crazy stuff can happen. But I'm not one for that kind of drama ;). Where are you headed?

guardian,

I am withdrawing my acceptance from NYMC tomorrow. I'll make sure they give my spot to you.
Honestly though...i bet this will work out for you. There are so many people giving up acceptances these days. I have been headed to four schools in the last two weeks and every day it seems like I get accepted to somewhere higher on my list. It'll work out and since there's nothing you can do about it anyway, you should try not to worry about it. ;) :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :oops: :D :( :)

Hey yigit,
Thanks for the kind words. Didn't you just recently hear from NYMed? Thats cool how things are rapidly improving for you. Where are you headed now :)?
They're sending out the letters for March interviewees this week and next, so I should be hearing from them soon.... like tomorow :eek: ;)