Off topic but very interesting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious how the police department justifies the officer's actions. Very disturbing to say the least.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
damn, that cop took it too far but I feel like him every day with the bureaucratic policies the nurses love to throw around. i'd bet money she was asserting her authority by citing policies rather than feeling any real concern for protecting the pt's rights.

Reactions: 3 users
damn, that cop took it too far but I feel like him every day with the bureaucratic policies the nurses love to throw around. i'd bet money she was asserting her authority by citing policies rather than feeling any real concern for protecting the pt's rights.

Sorry, I hate nursing administrators as much as the next guy, but this is a pretty idiotic post. When nursing policies interfere with what we are trying to do, it impedes a patient's healthcare. Also, we work in the hospital and have the authority to order tests and do certain things within a hospital. He is a police officer with no authority over a patient's health, who is asking for a blood draw with no regard to providing care. There is no "taking it too far" in this case; you are comparing apples and oranges. He had no business acting the way in which he did (the LAW says he was in the wrong), and he should be punished accordingly.

I also feel camaraderie within healthcare workers, even if it is a bureaucratic clipboard nurse. It's like how we can pick on the weird friend in our friend group all we want, but the minute someone outside of our circle of friends tries to, there will be trouble.

Edit: Read this for more info: 'Stop! I’ve done nothing wrong': Nurse shares police video of 'crazy' arrest by S.L. officer

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry, I hate nursing administrators as much as the next guy, but this is a pretty idiotic post. When nursing policies interfere with what we are trying to do, it impedes a patient's healthcare. Also, we work in the hospital and have the authority to order tests and do certain things within a hospital. He is a police officer with no authority over a patient's health, who is asking for a blood draw with no regard to providing care. There is no "taking it too far" in this case; you are comparing apples and oranges. He had no business acting the way in which he did (the LAW says he was in the wrong), and he should be punished accordingly.

I also feel camaraderie within healthcare workers, even if it is a bureaucratic clipboard nurse. It's like how we can pick on the weird friend in our friend group all we want, but the minute someone outside of our circle of friends tries to, there will be trouble.

Edit: Read this for more info: 'Stop! I’ve done nothing wrong': Nurse shares police video of 'crazy' arrest by S.L. officer
I agree. That police officer should be fired and charged with assault. There was no reason to do what he did.

Reactions: 4 users

I agree. That police officer should be fired and charged with assault. There was no reason to do what he did.

Especially since he was trying, without a warrant, to get the blood of an innocent victim of a crash caused by a high-speed police chase, for which I can see no other reason than a wild stab at finding something that might get the police department off the hook for his injuries. "His tox report shows high levels of benzos and narcotics. Yes he's intubated in the ICU with lots of burns, but those COULD have been there before he was hit. No way to know..."

If this is the way he handles an affront to his "power" with an RN who is legally in the right and trying to de-escalate the situation, I'd hate to see what he does in his other interactions. The department should be thankful they have the opportunity to fire him before something worse happens.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife came very close to finding herself in this exact situation. She's a PA who was doing a locums gig in a rural clinic. An obviously intoxicated patient was brought in by a police officer after he rolled his car. The patient was drunk, but was just barely sober enough to realize that consenting to a blood draw in his situation would be a very bad idea. The police officer tried to make my wife do the blood draw anyway and threatened to arrest her when she refused to do the draw without a warrant, knowing that performing a procedure on a patient without consent qualifies as assault. The officer eventually backed down, but if he'd been just a little bit more aggressive I'm sure my wife would have gotten arrested and thrown in jail until someone in the village police force realized that they couldn't afford to piss off one of the three healthcare providers in town. Know your rights as a physician, because this could happen to you.

Reactions: 1 user