Offer of help

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by drmoon, Mar 15, 2002.

1. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member

I am available for questions from any prospective podiatry students and I promise not to inject any of my personal feelings (unless you ask)

Dr Moon

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. the message

the message Member

Dr. Moon- Isn't it sad the fact that no other podiatry student participates in this site except efs!

4. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member

It's just one of the many reflections of podiatry today.

5. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    Either that or they just have better things to do. :D I often reflect on how much of a waste of my time this can be.

6. the message

the message Member

Dr. Moon,
    If one were to just get a PPMR, how would you make it in this current climate? To get to the point, how do you make six figures as a primary care podiatrist?

7. ryex

ryex Junior Member

Dr. Moon, I have a question. I will be attending a podiatry school in August of this year. My question is could I use the first year grades from podiatry school in conjunction with a new mcat and reapply to MD and DO schools? Will any of the MD or DO schools take into consideration good grades from a podiatry school? any help you can give is welcome.

8. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ryex:
    <strong>Dr. Moon, I have a question. I will be attending a podiatry school in August of this year. My question is could I use the first year grades from podiatry school in conjunction with a new mcat and reapply to MD and DO schools? Will any of the MD or DO schools take into consideration good grades from a podiatry school? any help you can give is welcome.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm not Dr Moon, but I have a question: You have not even started school yet and are asking about reapplying to DO and MD school (which I think may be a mistake because schools will ask why are you not finishing what you started at pod school)? Why are you going to pod school in the first place? Why not retake the MCAT as you suggested and reapply next cycle? You save yourself a year of tuition, will probably have more time to study for the MCAT and won't have that first year of pod school being a strike against you. Just my thoughts.

9. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

Yes you can, it helped me after two yrs of pod school. Dr Moon is not there yet, plus he has a degree not 1yr. My only question is why waste the money and time in the first place. If youre intentions are to go to MD/DO school then do not waste the money and time. Take a yr off and prepare for the MCAT and find some medically related work/volunt exp. Pod school should not be used as a boost to your application for med school. It is not a post-bacc program, even though it became one for me :)

10. sandj9397

sandj9397 Member

I second ussdfiant, the free time can really help with MCAT preparation. Schools will ask you on interviews, but it is not that big of a deal as some of you might think. The real stinker is how no MD/DO schools allow any transfer credit from pod school at all. But of course pod schools will accept MD/DO stud with some transfer credit. I guess not all these institutions are familiar with podiatric medical education. I remember the surprise of one my interviewers when I told them podiatrists can operate and prescribe medication. This is in NY where pods are everywhere!

11. efs

efs SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor

Podiatrist
    ryex,

If you really want to go to a DO r MD program then I would urge you not to start a DPM program. It really doesn't have so much to do with whether they will accept transfer credits.

Most MD or DO programs will question your commitment to a program. If you did one year of a PhD program or a MS program or a PA program or whatever else prior to re-aplication they would still question your commitment. If you want to complete a program and then re-apply it would be seen as more favorable.

Take a careful look at your application, and seriously consider what you really what to do. If you really want to be a DO or MD find out where there may be gaps in your application. Fill those in. If you really want to be a DPM then go for it, but do not do it solely as an alternative to entering a MD or DO program. If you are looking for a shortcut this is not the way to do it.

12. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member

For The Message:

I have very little hope for someone who has only completed a PPMR. The fact remains that most (if not all) decent insurance plans want you to be board certified in surgery. You can't do this unless you have surgical training.

On the other hand, the reality of podiatry practice is that most DPM's earn their money by doing the basic stuff (warts, nails, ingrowns, etc.). In fact, even highly trained podiatric surgeons still practice mostly basic podiatry.

All I can say is that you're going to have to scramble around and take some jobs you might not enjoy (like cutting nails in a nursing home for some other, established DPM). You have to be agressive and knock on some doors. You probably won't get hired by any kind of group or hospital. You won't be able to offer them much in the way of earning potential.

I answered an ad right before I finished with my PPMR and it was placed by two pods. They basically wanted someone to work in a series of clinics and they were willing to pay me the equivalent of $40/hour. Not too bad. But, they turned out to be completely unscrupulous (which most are if they want you to do this type of thing). I quit, but I stayed at the clinic and signed a new contract with the clinic owner. It's working out well for me, but I'm the exception. My other colleagues in town are essentially doing the same thing that I am.

13. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member

For Ryex:

You won't be able to use your coursework in either MD or DO school. They don't care about it. However, it will show that you've taken some advanced basic sciences, which might help. But then they will question why you left so early. Either way, you'll have to figure out if it's worth it to pay that much money for one year of basic sciences that are totally non-transferable.

Your MCAT will be good for 3 years.

14. ryex

ryex Junior Member

I would like to thank everyone for the advice.

15. PuppyLuv

PuppyLuv Member

ryex, maybe you could do it like me, i went to Barry University BMS program (which you could complete in 1 year, 1 and a half or 2 years). After completion of that program, you have the option to apply to their pod program and go straight to the second year (and my understanding is that it's pretty much "guaranteed" you'll get accepted). If by then you know you don't want to do podiatry, you could use that master degree to apply to medical school. That program helped me got into a DO school. (I had 2.25 undergrad GPA and 3.8 BMS GPA)....... check out the school website.

Best of luck