Offered admission at the last minute from GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplebutterfly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK.... I need some very quick advice. I just came home to a message from the Chair of the PsyD program at GWU and they've suddenly offered me a spot in their program. I didn't think I did well in the interview at all (which is why I didn't even get on the waitlist), and it seems that they didn't think so either, but they've gone all the way down their waitlist and still have spots open....

Honestly I didn't get a very good impression of the program when I was there, and so when they turned me down I wasn't surprised and instead accepted an offer from a less prestigious (professional) school.

If I've committed elsewhere, I can't "uncommit" right? Prof. Holmes says she needs to know tonight and she emailed me at 6 p.m...... I'm almost wondering if this is some kind of hoax, or if I should be rather incensed at the fact that I'm being asked to make a decision NOW.... I don't even know why I'm considering this at all....

Help?!? Did anyone else get an email like this from GW?

Members don't see this ad.

That is rather unusual.. My way through this whole process has been what feels like the right choice.. Prestige aside- where I am going to get the learning experience that I want. I had a very good experience at GWU so I will be going there next year. My decision to attend there is on the fit between my learning interests and what the school offers. So I would ask you the same thing.. which school has the best fit for what you wish to learn?

you can absolutely de-commit from a program... it just takes paperwork on their end... you also have to think about the possible bridges that you may burn by doing so...

Members don't see this ad :)
OK.... I need some very quick advice. I just came home to a message from the Chair of the PsyD program at GWU and they've suddenly offered me a spot in their program. I didn't think I did well in the interview at all (which is why I didn't even get on the waitlist), and it seems that they didn't think so either, but they've gone all the way down their waitlist and still have spots open....

Honestly I didn't get a very good impression of the program when I was there, and so when they turned me down I wasn't surprised and instead accepted an offer from a less prestigious (professional) school.

If I've committed elsewhere, I can't "uncommit" right? Prof. Holmes says she needs to know tonight and she emailed me at 6 p.m...... I'm almost wondering if this is some kind of hoax, or if I should be rather incensed at the fact that I'm being asked to make a decision NOW.... I don't even know why I'm considering this at all....

Help?!? Did anyone else get an email like this from GW?

Sounds like it's just your offer...congratulations!

It's not good form to rescind an offer, BUT GO WITH YOUR GUT. You will be training for the next 5+ years and you want to spend that time at your most optimum choice. Sure, the less prestigious (professional) school will be upset because you're not going to cash in with them, but GW is a good school.

Sounds like you want GW...and you have to let the professional school know that you have been made an offer that you cannot refuse...especially if there is funding on the table. It's not the first time this has been done. Just think...someone else will get a call from your professional school offering them your spot! It all works out in the end.

Good luck! :luck:

Nicu4leo,

That's very sound advice. Honestly, the less prestigious school (Argosy) feels like a better fit all around and I liked the professors I met there and their curriculum better. Why would GW be offering me a slot if they thought so much less of me that they didn't even put me on the waitlist? :confused:

This makes no sense at all. I really do wonder if it's some sort of weird snafoo or something, but it does come signed by Dr. Holmes herself.

They offer no funding, so it's the same as the offer I have in hand now. I think I'm going to turn them down, mainly because I really got the sense that Argosy wanted me, the profs were a lot more responsive and engaged, and I definitely got the sense that I'd do well there. Why go to a school that really didn't want me (they first rejected me) and where I'll have an uphill battle to prove that I'm worth their time?

This is all so strange and feels surreal...

As my grandfather told me last month... No one remembers the school they didnt get into after it is all said and done.. Only the one that accepted them.

Take it for what its worth but I think you have already made up your mind :)

:laugh: What a story! Maybe if you turn them down they'll come looking to me -- they turned me down post interview, and I've accepted elsewhere at a spot I felt really great about. I guess I was just a painfully awful fit there since they turned me down and haven't looked back.......

As my grandfather told me last month... No one remembers the school they didnt get into after it is all said and done.. Only the one that accepted them.

Take it for what its worth but I think you have already made up your mind :)

Actually, from my experience, no-one cares what school you went to when you've established yourself as a good professional in your field. (I went to a decent state school for both undergrad and grad degrees and it was never important in getting a job.)

Yeah, you're right; I think I have made up my mind, but part of me remembers how much I thought this was my top choice until I interviewed there.

Buzzwordsoldier said:
:laugh: What a story! Maybe if you turn them down they'll come looking to me -- they turned me down post interview, and I've accepted elsewhere at a spot I felt really great about. I guess I was just a painfully awful fit there since they turned me down and haven't looked back.......

You might want to check your email.... :laugh:

I suppose it'll raise even more eyebrows when I say, "Yeah.... I turned down GW and decided to go to Argosy instead." :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know I *could* probably back out of my commitment to Argosy, but honestly, I'm not sure I'll be happy at GW.

If you are going to back out, you should according to the APA guidelines do so tonight... Any offer that is accepted is not binding until tomorrow. Accept the program you want tonight and tell the other program, thanks, but no thanks. After April 15th your decision becomes binding, so really tonight is the night!

Mark

Sounds like you really didn't like GW. Don't be ashamed to choose the school that feels right. It's not all about prestige (although it does help).

I turned down GW. Just went with my gut. I don't think I'd be that happy there. Yeah, maybe some people won't get why I didn't untangle myself from Argosy, but honestly I got better vibes from the faculty/staff I met there. I could be wrong, of course, but it's not the end of the world if I find it wasn't the right choice.

I turned down GW. Just went with my gut. I don't think I'd be that happy there. Yeah, maybe some people won't get why I didn't untangle myself from Argosy, but honestly I got better vibes from the faculty/staff I met there. I could be wrong, of course, but it's not the end of the world if I find it wasn't the right choice.

Actually if it's Argosy DC, I've heard much more good than bad about the DC program.

Mark

I also got a last minute acceptance from GW but I WAS on their waitlist in the 'middle' position as they said. You already made your decision but i'm glad you didn't go with GW. It was your top choice before your interview but then you went and didn't like it so there's no reason to think it might still be your top choice. Sounds like a lot of people turned down waitlist offers from them if they went on to people they already rejected. Good luck!

I may be crazy.... :slap: but I'm thinking of accepting GW after all. I talked to the director of the program and was very encouraged by a number of opportunities that are being offered to me, including being able to take a few classes at the art therapy program (to which I had been accepted, but turned down because I decided to go for a doctorate).

Yes, it is Argosy-DC, which is a better program in terms of the Argosy schools. GW does have a better reputation, and the benefits I'll get (e.g., health care, possible part-time job w/ half tuition remission) are better.

Apparently, according to the APA rules, I can still do this, as the rules apply only in the case of financial offers (fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, etc.). The rules in Grad Study say nothing about unfunded offers.

Oy! This is nutty!!

Hooray for having options, whatever the choices may be, right?!

ha! it is nutty. just make sure to do what's best for you!

best of luck, and congrats, either way :D

I may be crazy.... :slap: but I'm thinking of accepting GW after all. I talked to the director of the program and was very encouraged by a number of opportunities that are being offered to me, including being able to take a few classes at the art therapy program (to which I had been accepted, but turned down because I decided to go for a doctorate).

Yes, it is Argosy-DC, which is a better program in terms of the Argosy schools. GW does have a better reputation, and the benefits I'll get (e.g., health care, possible part-time job w/ half tuition remission) are better.

Apparently, according to the APA rules, I can still do this, as the rules apply only in the case of financial offers (fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, etc.). The rules in Grad Study say nothing about unfunded offers.

Oy! This is nutty!!

Definitely do what is best for you, and where you feel is the "best fit." I interviewed at a few schools and every time I interviewed they spoke about looking for students who "best fit." Some people above talk about "burning bridges," because you will probably bump into people at conferences and what such, especially when geographically the schools are in the same area. In the long run I doubt they will remember who you are, and people just want you go to where is best for you.

I am sure wherever you go, you will get a good education, although I am bit biased, because I will be attending one of the programs you are talking about in the Fall :D. I was accepted post-interview and was high enough on their "acceptance rank" that I just got a call today and will receive some funding! I was a little icky with the whole ranking thing and personally felt kind of bad about it.

As for Art Therapy, you are allowed to take classes anywhere you go to school, those classes just do not count towards your degree, and probably cost $1200 per credit hour depending where you go ($3600 per class). There is no reason why any program would deter you from taking additional classes, especially when it just means more money for them from your pockets for the university. You would just be taking classes in another department as a "non-degree" seeking student.

Best of luck wherever you decide to go, and maybe we will be in the same cohort. YAY!!!

I chose GW and told Argosy I had gotten an offer I couldn't refuse. Irony of ironies: I opened the mail today to yet another acceptance. This one was from George Mason's master's in social work program. I'll be declining that offer.... I've made up my mind now :eek: :eek: :eek:

I chose GW and told Argosy I had gotten an offer I couldn't refuse. Irony of ironies: I opened the mail today to yet another acceptance. This one was from George Mason's master's in social work program. I'll be declining that offer.... I've made up my mind now :eek: :eek: :eek:

Best of luck to you! :luck: