Offered residency position after accepted internship...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has gone through a similar situation. I did not match this year, and was unsuccessful with the scramble. (the spots were gone in an hour or so!). Anyway I verbally confirmed an internship position, was sent the contract, but haven't signed it yet. I just heard from a residecy program that they want to offer me the position, which of course I accepted. What do I do about the internship spot? FYI, I'm a DO student and theinternship was a DO traditional internship, and the residency is an allopathic PGY1-3 program. Thanks for advice.

Members don't see this ad.

joaquin13 said:
I was wondering if anyone has gone through a similar situation. I did not match this year, and was unsuccessful with the scramble. (the spots were gone in an hour or so!). Anyway I verbally confirmed an internship position, was sent the contract, but haven't signed it yet. I just heard from a residecy program that they want to offer me the position, which of course I accepted. What do I do about the internship spot? FYI, I'm a DO student and theinternship was a DO traditional internship, and the residency is an allopathic PGY1-3 program. Thanks for advice.

hold off on telling the DO program until you have the allopathic contract in hand. It is not the best situation to back out of the DO program, but as you haven't signed anything and didn't get the position through the match, you are not legally obligated. morally ..... but you need to do what you need to do for your career.

retroviridae said:
hold off on telling the DO program until you have the allopathic contract in hand. It is not the best situation to back out of the DO program, but as you haven't signed anything and didn't get the position through the match, you are not legally obligated. morally ..... but you need to do what you need to do for your career.

gfhg