*OFFICIAL 2006 NBDE Part I Scores Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

----------------------------

Since scores are starting to come out, it's probably time to get one of these rolling to help future test takers. Threads like this in the past have been a huge help for me in choosing what to study, so I figured it's time to repay some dues.

Just copy and paste the above, and fill in the blanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomical Sciences:94
Biochemistry/Physiology:97
Microbiology/Pathology:98
Dental Anatomy:94

Overall Average:96

Cumulative Study Hours:initially strted with 5-6 hrs, the progressed to about 10hrs..and as test date got near..about 14-15 hrs.[this is for slightly above avg students like me]
Recommended Studying Materials:i used kaplan review book,old papers,decks..some google searching.
Most Difficult Section:can't say..but the most easy one was Dental anat!!
Study DOs:be consistent. revise revise,revise..
Study DON'Ts:hungover:ont procrastinate.Dont follow anyone blindly. All have their own study plan..

all the best.Believe in urself!!

regards,richa

I didnt know scores came out so quick...I thought it took 6-8 weeks for paper based

Members don't see this ad :)
Typo said:
[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

----------------------------

Since scores are starting to come out, it's probably time to get one of these rolling to help future test takers. Threads like this in the past have been a huge help for me in choosing what to study, so I figured it's time to repay some dues.

Just copy and paste the above, and fill in the blanks!
Can I post my predicted scores? :D Did you take it already? How did you do? I'm shooting for early October.

richa sharma said:

Cumulative Study Hours:initially strted with 5-6 hrs, the progressed to about 10hrs..and as test date got near..about 14-15 hrs.[this is for slightly above avg students like me]
Recommended Studying Materials:i used kaplan review book,old papers,decks..some google searching.
Study DON'Ts:hungover:ont procrastinate.Dont follow anyone blindly. All have their own study plan..

regards,richa

Unfortunately, I didn't received yet, maybe it will be better to call...
Again, Congratulations for your scores~!!! ;)

Anatomical Sciences:98
Biochemistry/Physiology:95
Microbiology/Pathology:93
Dental Anatomy:97

Cumulative Study Hours:210(10/day for 3 weeks)

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:ecks, old exams.
I used a ton of other books but only to look up answers, I didn't read them cover to cover. I read the Kaplan book only for biochem and micro. I also read USMLE1 for everything but gross anatomy.

Most Difficult Section:my weakest subject was biochem, but on the real test I felt like dental anatomy was hard,I mean it had some questions I have never seen before.

Study DOs:take old exams and make sure you really understand the answers. I also answered a lot of the questions posted on SDN and that helped me too, because for a lot of them I didn't know the answer right away, so I had to look it up, and that helped.

Study DON'Ts: don't panic...I know it's a lot of material and it seems imposible to know it all, but we're all in the same boat.

When I got out, I thought the test was hard-hard to get over 90, not hard to pass-so I am extremely happy with my scores.
Once again, I wish everybody good luck and congratulations for those who took it already.
Joanna

U. Maryland-class of 2008

Just got my scores,

Anatomy = 93
Physio Biochem = 97
Micro Path = 99
Dental anatomy = 95

Average = 96.

only suggestion = Read USMLE first aid before going to exam, infact be thorough with it.

All the best to others and congrats to those who made it.
Thanks to all, who took time to respond to my questions.

So many 96... Let me add one more :D

Anatomy = 93
Physio Biochem = 98
Micro Path = 95
Dental anatomy = 97

Average = 96

Recommended Studying Materials: Deck and old exams, plus google search.
Suggestions: For those of you who has a fulltime job like me, if you study the decks and old exam papers thoroughly, it should give you 90+ or even 95+. It worked for me.

Good luck for everyone :)

Hi
I am studying for part 1 and working too.How much time were you able to devote to studying and for how long did u prepare.

richa sharma said:

regards,richa
hi richa i read many of your messages ,u have realy done very good at your exams . i am planning to give my exams on nov end. can you suggest me a good way to go through these 3 months of studying .i am studying from kaplan book right now and have finished anat and path from here . i have decks and realeased old papers .......i have also given few realesed exam in anat and have managed to get only 80% by the score conversion ,how much more effort do i have to put in and how do i go about studying from now please reply and help me out thank in advance or send me a pm :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

richa sharma said:

regards,richa

Hi richa ,
u got to tell more so that people like me can study .yah so how many months u studied before u took the exam?was it computer based ?
i m totally new to sdn n in us .and i don't know much about NBDE1 either,i mean where to apply.and what paper they need n all.
i will greatfully thank u if u guide me on this .
thanks

and congrats .it shows how hard u worked. :thumbup:

Riyaap said:
Hi
I am studying for part 1 and working too.How much time were you able to devote to studying and for how long did u prepare.

I studied for half a year. First 3 months, 2hr/day, last 3 months, 4hr/day. This gave me enough time to go over all the cards and old papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
indianstudent said:
Just got my scores,

Anatomy = 93
Physio Biochem = 97
Micro Path = 99
Dental anatomy = 95

Average = 96.

only suggestion = Read USMLE first aid before going to exam, infact be thorough with it.

All the best to others and congrats to those who made it.
Thanks to all, who took time to respond to my questions.
Hi
I am new to this group & have recently arrived in this country. I am planning to appear in Part 1 exam in Dec, i would be greatful to you if you could guide me what to study & from where to study. I have no idea of the system of examinations here. Since your score is very good, you will be a perfect guide to me.Your help will be highly appreciated.
Thanxs
RKD

RKD said:
Hi
I am new to this group & have recently arrived in this country. I am planning to appear in Part 1 exam in Dec, i would be greatful to you if you could guide me what to study & from where to study. I have no idea of the system of examinations here. Since your score is very good, you will be a perfect guide to me.Your help will be highly appreciated.
Thanxs
RKD

Start with kaplan review >> then read decks >.>> first aid usmle >>>q papers >> revise all >> relax >>> exam.

I am not saying that this is the golden rule. It worked for me.

All the best!

Hi All,
sorry hadn't been following this thread for long..I see many of us have got 96..thts really good news..esp. all of us putting in their thoughts about it..

so, those who r yet to take the test...one thing for sure is to study hard..it is not impossible to get a 90+...really!!!

HEy , Jo we have been talking before my test date..Its nice to see your scores..I could sense it b4hand tht u were well prepared for the test..Gr88 going.
Also, HAts off to all others with gr88 scores..MAybe we end up in the same dental school!!..who knows!!...all the best.
regards,
richa

Hi Richa
May i ask: was this your first attempt? If not, can you please suggest how differently you studied the other time?
Thanks a lot

richa sharma said:

regards,richa

Hi!!

Firstly, I must congratulate u on ur awesome scores!!!!!:) the part1 scene really seems to be getting more competitive each day.

My part 1 scores are 88 and I wanted to know where does that put me? I have applied to a few universities but haven't heard from them as yet.

I'm planning to reappear for the part1 again in october, hoping that i can improve on them. Any kind of input on wat to study would be really appreciated.

If possible can I contact you, if yes then please email me on [email protected] :oops:

All the Best!!!! Wonderful scores to you and everyone else !:thumbup:

sdent

I was hoping everyone could maybe add what school they attended to get an idea of how people are doing where.

Congratulations .....to everyone ( so many here with 96 in part 1)
I m a new to this site & need sme help
I have 6 month time to study for NBDE-1 .
can anybody advise me how i shud utilize my time?
what books shud i read ?
i find biochem. very tough
plz. PM me.......i m sooo confused:scared:

A guy in my class called the ADA and they said it was mailed out on Friday. Anyone in Chicago got theirs today???

Well... just went out to the mailbox and they were there! Very happy.
Anatomy- 91
Biochem- 89
Micro-89
DA-91
90 overall.:thumbup: Wasn't expecting that!

Got my scores today.

Anatomy- 92
Micro/Path- 93
Biochem/Phys- 93
Dental Anatomy- 94

Avgerage- 93

I walked out thinking I got a minimun of 97 on Anatomy and obviously, that was my worst score. Many people have said similar things, so it is best just to take it and don't even analyze. I thought my Biochem section would be around 89 or 90.

Materials studied: Decks, old papers, and books and class notes only for reference.

Studied: got through the Decks about 2-3 times and studied old exams only for the last 2 days.

Study Do's and Don'ts: Get ahead and stay ahead. Preparing begins during the courses the first two years. If you are limited on time, don't mess with Kaplan, USMLE, or other studying aids. It is overkill and can waste time. Focuse on Decks and know them cold and also focus on your own weak areas.

Don't worry about the exam. It's really not that ridiculous. I had a 3.3 undergrad GPA and a DAT score of 18 for my AA. I posted to help others like me that may not think they can beat up the part 1.

Got my scores today.

Anatomy- 92
Micro/Path- 93
Biochem/Phys- 93
Dental Anatomy- 94

Avgerage- 93

I walked out thinking I got a minimun of 97 on Anatomy and obviously, that was my worst score. Many people have said similar things, so it is best just to take it and don't even analyze. I thought my Biochem section would be around 89 or 90.

Materials studied: Decks, old papers, and books and class notes only for reference.

Studied: got through the Decks about 2-3 times and studied old exams only for the last 2 days.

Study Do's and Don'ts: Get ahead and stay ahead. Preparing begins during the courses the first two years. If you are limited on time, don't mess with Kaplan, USMLE, or other studying aids. It is overkill and can waste time. Focuse on Decks and know them cold and also focus on your own weak areas.

Don't worry about the exam. It's really not that ridiculous. I had a 3.3 undergrad GPA and a DAT score of 18 for my AA. I posted to help others like me that may not think they can beat up the part 1.

Great scores and great post. Congrats! I have been curious on how the GPA and DAT's scores "translate" into Part I too. Although it heavily depends on how much we put in each time, it does give an idea. Thanks.

Anatomical Sciences:92
Biochemistry/Physiology:98
Microbiology/Pathology:93
Dental Anatomy:88

Overall Average:93

Cumulative Study Hours: 150 hrs
Recommended Studying Materials: dental decks and wikipedia
Most Difficult Section:I thought it was micro/path but obviously it was dental anatomy(although I though DA was the easiest section when I walked out)
Study DOs:Study cold random facts
Study DON'Ts: Dont waste time with Kaplan (its too much)

Anatomical Sciences: 94
Biochemistry/Physiology: 97
Microbiology/Pathology: 96
Dental Anatomy: 99

Overall Average: 97

Cumulative Study Hours: Probably 350+. I started studying the decks in May, and during the last three weeks before the test, about 12 hours a day.

Recommended Studying Materials: Dental Decks, old tests, Lippincott's Biochemistry, USMLE First Aid, BRS Physio. I also used the Stax for the "retentives" section, but almost all of those seemed to be ripped straight from USMLE.

Most Difficult Section: I felt like it was Biochem, but apparently Anatomy. I felt like Anatomy was by far my biggest strength going into the test. Ironically enough, according to the '98 score conversion, Dental Anatomy was always my lowest score, and Anatomic Sciences was always my highest score.

Study DOs:
1. Study the decks first and foremost. I went through almost every card 4 times, highlighting them the first few times, and then reviewing more quickly the third and fourth times through.
2. Cover as many old tests as you can get your hands on. There were verbatim repeats (especially in micro/path and dental anatomy), and most questions were based upon the same material that you'll find in old tests.
3. Use USMLE for mnemonics at the least. I thought USMLE was really helpful for microbiology.
4. Lippincott's Biochemistry was hugely helpful for unifying everything in biochem. I studied a good portion of the diagrams in the book along with the decks - if it was covered in the decks, I would study the diagrams out of the corresponding section in the book.
5. Find all the old threads with people's advice on SDN. Those were crucial for knowing what to study, and being confident that it was enough.
6. Set a goal! I set a goal for 97+ from the very start, and constantly worked to achieve it. I also created a major reward for myself if I could score a 97 or above.

Study DON'Ts: Just to repeat what a lot of people in the past have said - don't touch Kaplan. It's unnecessary. Don't stray too far from the decks and old tests.

P.S. - Much thanks to everyone who gave advice, both here and in person - there's no way I could have done well without these people's help: Jo23, TiggerJSA, Doggie, Tarheel, grtuck, UNLV OMS Wannabe, wise146, etc. etc. etc. Thanks!

I set a goal for 97+ from the very start, and constantly worked to achieve it. I also created a major reward for myself if I could score a 97 or above.

What are your plans that you would set such an insane score as your goal? Congrats by the way!! And of course, everyone wants to know what the reward is!!!???!!!

Cumulative Study Hours: Probably 350+. I started studying the decks in May, and during the last three weeks before the test, about 12 hours a day.

Recommended Studying Materials: Dental Decks, old tests, Lippincott's Biochemistry, USMLE First Aid, BRS Physio. I also used the Stax for the "retentives" section, but almost all of those seemed to be ripped straight from USMLE.

Most Difficult Section: I felt like it was Biochem, but apparently Anatomy. I felt like Anatomy was by far my biggest strength going into the test. Ironically enough, according to the '98 score conversion, Dental Anatomy was always my lowest score, and Anatomic Sciences was always my highest score.

Study DOs:
1. Study the decks first and foremost. I went through almost every card 4 times, highlighting them the first few times, and then reviewing more quickly the third and fourth times through.
2. Cover as many old tests as you can get your hands on. There were verbatim repeats (especially in micro/path and dental anatomy), and most questions were based upon the same material that you'll find in old tests.
3. Use USMLE for mnemonics at the least. I thought USMLE was really helpful for microbiology.
4. Lippincott's Biochemistry was hugely helpful for unifying everything in biochem. I studied a good portion of the diagrams in the book along with the decks - if it was covered in the decks, I would study the diagrams out of the corresponding section in the book.
5. Find all the old threads with people's advice on SDN. Those were crucial for knowing what to study, and being confident that it was enough.
6. Set a goal! I set a goal for 97+ from the very start, and constantly worked to achieve it. I also created a major reward for myself if I could score a 97 or above.

Study DON'Ts: Just to repeat what a lot of people in the past have said - don't touch Kaplan. It's unnecessary. Don't stray too far from the decks and old tests.

P.S. - Much thanks to everyone who gave advice, both here and in person - there's no way I could have done well without these people's help: Jo23, TiggerJSA, Doggie, Tarheel, grtuck, UNLV OMS Wannabe, wise146, etc. etc. etc. Thanks!

OMG, you did it. Thanks for all the great tips and responses. Congrats!

Congrats. Glad to have helped.

Study DOs:

Strong work. :thumbup:

Congrats Typo
u r a real Genius:thumbup:
Thanx for the tips u provided ,i think every1 shud get inspiration frm you.
plz tell me frm where i shud study mandibular movements?

Anatomical Sciences: 95

~Cumulative Study Hours: ALOT - I studied a lot. From February to May I read the dental decks once, just to become familiar with the material again. During this time I also memorized all the answers to the old exams. Then in May I read the Kaplan book once through, along with reviewing old exams again. At the beginning of June, I re-read the dental decks and Kaplan book taking notes of material that I felt I might need to review 2 weeks prior to the exam. I also went over the old exams again. It ended up being over 100 pages of notes! (I know I'm insane!) 1 week prior I re-read my notes and went over old exams and continued reading the Anatomy portion of the Kaplan book. I took the exam at the end of June.
The 4 weeks prior to my exam I was probably studying 6-10 hours a day.

~Recommended Studying Materials: Forget the Kaplan book - way too detailed and I felt most of the material on the exam was from the decks and old exams anyway.

~Most Difficult Section: Anatomy and Micro/Path - I actually felt I did worse on Micro/Path. I had about 15-20 "marked questions" on anatomy and biochem/physio, 20-25 questions "marked" on micro/path and only about 5 marked on dental anatomy. How many of them I got wrong I couldn't tell you!

~Study DOs: Dental Decks and Old Exams
~Study DON'Ts: Kaplan - I felt I overstudied for the exam and If I took it one week prior or one week after I probably would have gotten the same score (give or take a few points).

~I was really aiming for a 95 and above, but after I took the exam I thought I got upper 80's to low 90's. I thought it was much tougher then old exams. There were very few repeats... maybe 10 questions per section if you were lucky. In general I think you will do better then you think you did after taking the exam. The majority of people at my school did the worse in Anatomy for whatever reason (which was not the case in years past).

~Just study hard and don't kill yourself... Time management is everything. I think cramming material over a 3-4 week period is tough and if you space it out and do a little bit over a long period of time then you will retain more information and remember more. At least that was the case with me. I think how well you did in the courses at your school will give you a good determine of how you will do on the exam also!

~I wish you all good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

nothing to say....you are just amazing!!! Thank you for sharing your experience. BTW, do you used any reference books? only deck and old papers can do the job? (over 90)

(sorry that your PM doesn't work) I noticed that in your original post, you did old papers for 4 times which made me think it is very important. My question is how did you do that? you just timing and grading it every time? (but when you do 2nd time, you probably knew the answers...) could you give me some ideas how you did that?
one more question: based on your experience, how good is good enough for your preparation before going to the test room? I mean how you judage yourself that you are well-prepared? Is there any standard you used before your test? say like when you did old papers, you missed only 10 -20 questions each section?? I have no clue but I really want to know sth about it...
Again thank you very much!

Anatomy 97
biochem 97
Path/Micro 98
Dent Anat 99
Overall 98

Went through decks 1.5 times. Went through old test questions the last week and a half before exam. Also read the following: Lipincott Biochem, BRS Pathology, BRS Physiology, Clinical Micro made simple.

Thought the test was alot harder then any of the old tests. Only 10 or so repeats on any one section. I walked out of there feeling like its almost impossible to study for this test since their were so few questions covered by all of that stuff that I had studied. I couold have studied for a hundred years and maybe got a few more questions right.

Thought dental anatomy was easiest and pathology was balls to the walls hard. Anatomy and Biochem I thought were somewhere in the middle. Suprised at high path and low anatomy/biochem when I got my scores.

Anatomy 97
biochem 97
Path/Micro 98
Dent Anat 99
Overall 98

Went through decks 1.5 times. Went through old test questions the last week and a half before exam. Also read the following: Lipincott Biochem, BRS Pathology, BRS Physiology, Clinical Micro made simple.

Thought the test was alot harder then any of the old tests. Only 10 or so repeats on any one section. I walked out of there feeling like its almost impossible to study for this test since their were so few questions covered by all of that stuff that I had studied. I couold have studied for a hundred years and maybe got a few more questions right.

Thought dental anatomy was easiest and pathology was balls to the walls hard. Anatomy and Biochem I thought were somewhere in the middle. Suprised at high path and low anatomy/biochem when I got my scores.

Holy S*#T:eek:

People.....everyone seems to be getting 95+ :scared:
I think I'm going to retire from actively studying for NBDE 1 and find a part-time job at Burger King instead

Seriously though....CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF YOU:thumbup:

You forget the types to post on a dental forum are insanely Type A to begin with. It's only natural for you to fine an inflated average on this board compared to the average of the several thousand dental students in the nation.

can someone tell me what percentile is the score of 95 on part I. i understand it varies, but can someone who took part I in 2005 or 06 help me out? thank you.

Emma, I think my PM works now... Anyway I just kept doing old exams until I had memorized everything (without really understanding the material) - Our school made us do this, and take practice mock board exams with all old questions.

I think you will never feel prepared... there will always be more information that you think you need to know... just do your best and just go for it. I scheduled my date about 1 and half months in advance and just kept to that date. I did the 2004 pilot about 2-3 weeks prior to my exam and I got like 10-20 wrong in each section (except DA). And then I used the exams and questions as a reference of what else I needed to concentrate on that I kept getting wrong... Anything else feel free to ask :p