Official 2007 USMLE Step 1 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meshuggener

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to report, but can you folks please start sharing your NBME/QBank, etc. etc. plus real deal scores so we can see the comparisons!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, so Raine, you had several friends who scored 270? Hmmm.... 255 is pretty astronomical, in my POV I think every point above a 240 gets to be cents on the dollar in terms of residency application. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here...

NBME Practice 1 250 (after no studying)

NBME Practice 2 300 (1 week of studying)

NBME Practice 3 340 (I was disappointed)

QBank 96% (I almost didn't take the test cause I wanted 100%)

Actual test 1600

It was not about what score can get what residency, etc. for me. It was all about the score itself. A high score would have given me confidence and happiness that I could carry with me through the rest of med school. I could look back and feel happy that I accomplished something that only a handful of people could do. You can't be proud of something that thousands upon thousands of other people have. That's why I feel totally mediocre and unremarkable.

Unhappy Score: 239 or less
Neutral Score: 240
Very Happy Score: 250+

Actual Score: 240/99

I'm perfectly f**ing neutral. More goddamn neutrality in my life.

for heaven's sake, grow up. you don't need to be unique to be proud. lots of parents have children in med school, and i doubt that fact prevents any of them from bragging to the neighbors. besides, if pride comes in the form of a number for you, then you have bigger problems than your 240 step 1 score.

Members don't see this ad :)

Actual test 1600

you should've tried harder :laugh:

Actual test 1600

LOL, you da man/woman. I was just discussing what the highest possible score could be and you've reached ranges I never would've even considered. You probably only got 96% on Qbank because they might've had a few wrong answers on there, so don't feel bad about that. :)

I shall refrain from posting my score on this post, as many of my classmates have admitted to being my online SDN stalkers! :mad:

All I shall say is this: 1) I passed, and 2) I was very content with my score.

Honestly, people put this test up on a pedestal. As long as you put the work in, youll be fine. People come out of there crying like they failed and end up getting 240+. Honestly. I hate people. But thats besides the point. I didnt think I failed. I had a very realistic idea how I did based on my NBME exams. I thought the difficulty was about the same, and my score proved that I was right. To anyone next year, dont be a little crybaby b!tch like half my class. Just put the time in and youll do fine.

Right I forgot to mention my strategy: USMLE World - completed 90% w/ avg 70%. Listened to Goljan during the pathology course 2nd year (didn't listen during studying for Step 1); FA x 3 (some parts only x 2, 1 section (embryo) x 1) Studied 5 weeks, 31 study days total.

The Step exams are like other standardized tests - if you excel at them, you will probably be good at this (assuming adequate prep). Keeping your cool during the exam is crucial. I know that in my case I walked out of the exam with 4 or 5 questions that I absolutely knew the answer to, and thought of it as I finished several blocks, but for some reason couldn't think of the answer during the actual question. Oh well. I am happy, but not super happy.

Full length mock @ my school 10 days prior: 229
Step 1: 235/98

To feel mediocre and "neutral" with a board score of 240 is, quite frankly, kinda sad. I mean I guess I should understand with the choices being so limited - like with a 245+ you could have had a derm residency at Stanford, Harvard, or Yale. But now, man, you might only have a choice b/w Harvard or Stanford. Ahhh, the difficulties we face.

Seriously, I think your only true purpose for reporting your score was to make others feel like crap with their below 240, mediocre scores. You sound like you'll be a great doctor.

USMLE World- something like 65% overall, 80% completed, more in mid/high 70's towards the end
NBME Form 2- 232 (2 weeks into studying, 2 weeks before the test)
NBME Form 3- 238 (1 week before the actual exam)
Released 150 Questions- 85% (1 week before the actual exam), predicted 247

REAL STEP 1- 239/99

I am NOT going to whine about not breaking 240. I worked my ass off and I am very proud of my score. :love:. The NBME exams are good predictors. Also, I walked out of my exam feeling good, like 230+ so you don't always have to feel terrible to end up with a good score.

It was not about what score can get what residency, etc. for me. It was all about the score itself. A high score would have given me confidence and happiness that I could carry with me through the rest of med school. I could look back and feel happy that I accomplished something that only a handful of people could do. You can't be proud of something that thousands upon thousands of other people have. That's why I feel totally mediocre and unremarkable.

Unhappy Score: 239 or less
Neutral Score: 240
Very Happy Score: 250+

Actual Score: 240/99

I'm perfectly f**ing neutral. More goddamn neutrality in my life.

What a jerk! People who think like this is the reason why some med students in certain med schools stress other people out by being so cutthroat! Don't forget that good step score may only get you the interviews from top residency programs. To get in, you have to prove to the program directors that you have good work ethics and are compassionate to people that need help. Not to mention your third year clerkship grades and recommendation letters. Think about it.

Finally got scores back...

USMLE World: 75%
NBME 2: 240 (2-3 weeks before)
Kaplan diagnostic: 75%

Step 1: 250/99

Aiming for 240+, so I'm thrilled. Good luck to all.

Step 1 > 250

I would have liked to clear 260 but I'd have to slap myself really hard if I said I was disappointed with my effort. I am ecstatic!

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like a lot of people destroyed this test. whos gonna be the first 270+?

free exam: 67% 1 week before real exam
100% QBank 65%
100% USMLEworld 70%

Step 1 : 222 (no idea what the 2 digit score is)

People here will probably think I'm crazy when I say I'm happy with my score, but I seriously seriously seriously thought I failed this exam. Proof: i still have ALL my Step 1 review materials , i.e. haven't sold a single book.
Not to mention I'm a pretty mediocre student, so anything over the national average (even brushingly so), I'm darn happy. I had lobster tonight!!

you SHOULD be super proud of yourself!!! congrats! i was getting bummed reading all these scores for both COMLEX (i'm a DO student) and USMLE before i received my scores, but then i realized, of course people with GREAT scores are gonna post em!!! i was told a 220+ is competitive, so great job!

NBME practice 1: 200 (2 months before studying started)
NBME practice 2: 225 (after 1 week of studying)
NBME practice 3: 238 (the week before)
150 questions: 247 (a couple days before)

My goals were:
230...content
240...really happy
250...holy sh#t

Actual score: 246/99

I am thrilled!

What a jerk! People who think like this is the reason why some med students in certain med schools stress other people out by being so cutthroat! Don't forget that good step score may only get you the interviews from top residency programs. To get in, you have to prove to the program directors that you have good work ethics and are compassionate to people that need help. Not to mention your third year clerkship grades and recommendation letters. Think about it.

for heaven's sake, grow up. you don't need to be unique to be proud. lots of parents have children in med school, and i doubt that fact prevents any of them from bragging to the neighbors. besides, if pride comes in the form of a number for you, then you have bigger problems than your 240 step 1 score.

Yeah, you have good points. I've had a few hours to think about it. I was being a whiny little cry baby. I remember hating it when I was applying to med school and hearing people say the same things about their mcat score.

Well, that's what's great about SDN, that it can knock you back down to earth if you need it.

CBSE: 195 (Before any studying)
NBME Form 2: 226 (2 weeks out)
NBME Form 3: 244 (1 week out)
Practice 150: 86% (a few days before)
UW: 70% overall

Step 1: 246/99

Very happy with my score as I was aiming for 230+. Those NBME's really do a good job at predicting your scores. Too bad mine only went up 2 points after a week!

Goal: 220+

"Mini-step" given by school: 184 :scared:
NBME1 before studying: 208
NBME2 4 weeks before exam: 214
UWorld final avg 100% through: 64%

Actual score: 234! :thumbup:

Not sure what I would have done differently in terms of studying, since Behavioral Science was lowest on my scale. I had ~2 quote questions per block!

nbme 1-195
nbme 2-205
nbme 3-209

Real Deal 221

I'm quite satisfied as I think this score will be good enough to get me a spot in gas>>>>surg>>>>>>EM in the city. Plus going up 12 points in 1 week is pretty dope if you ask me.

Congrats to all you super stars out there (Hopefully all you folks with the 240s and up will go into rads, derm, ortho, IM at stanford etc LOL).

Yeah, you have good points. I've had a few hours to think about it. I was being a whiny little cry baby. I remember hating it when I was applying to med school and hearing people say the same things about their mcat score.

Well, that's what's great about SDN, that it can knock you back down to earth if you need it.

nice response. congratulations on your score!

Given the number of ***/99s in here, that 99 isn't a percentile right? From what I read about the USMLE, it's just a "two digit" score where 75 is pass. But if it's not really a percentile, why do they bother converting a three digit scaled score to another two digit scaled score?

But if it's not really a percentile, why do they bother converting a three digit scaled score to another two digit scaled score?
That's the big question. It's definitely NOT a percentile, though, and it's sad that the majority of people who get their scores back think it's a percentile without reading the definition right there!

Given the number of ***/99s in here, that 99 isn't a percentile right? From what I read about the USMLE, it's just a "two digit" score where 75 is pass. But if it's not really a percentile, why do they bother converting a three digit scaled score to another two digit scaled score?

I'm on call at a very UN-busy hospital and extremely bored so I did a little searching and found this explanation on another site, I don't know it's accuracy:

The 3 digit scores comes from how many questions you answer correct. What is the formula they have only they know.
The 2 digit score comes from 2 places the 3 digit scores and hoe hard was the test.
That is why now you might see people with a 230 and a 99 or a 220 and a 96.

In the past you could kind of know if you have x in 3 digit you will have this in 2 digit.
Not anymore with some few exceptions.

I saw 2 people with 171 and one had a 71 the other a 69.

Got my score in the mail today!

Goal: 250+
NBME 2: 253 (4 weeks before exam)
NBME 4: 265+ (2 weeks before exam)
NBME 3: 257 (week of exam)

Actual score: 272/99

I'm SHOCKED! By the way, I didn't touch Goljan's audio lectures or book, so they're not necessary to do well! Good luck to all who are still waiting.

I'm SHOCKED! By the way, I didn't touch Goljan's audio lectures or book, so they're not necessary to do well! Good luck to all who are still waiting.

Congrats you rocked that bad boy. Go bruins.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO not surprised!!! Congrats, chica!!! :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

Baaaastiaaaaaaaaaaaan!

Haha, CONGRATULATIONS, awesome job! I was waiting for someone to upstage me and I'm glad it was you :).

CBSE Mock Exam given by school in March (no studying): 185
NBME Form 1 (1 week into studying): 230
NBME Form 2 (2 weeks into studying): 234
Goal: break 220

Actual Step 1 score: 247/99

Thats more like it!! Congrats, bro! :thumbup:

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

NICE WORK, girl!!!!! :D

NBME in March 12 = 230
Free 150 two weeks before the exam = 95%
Q-bank 65% finished = 80%
USMLE First aid Qmax = 85%
USMLE step 1 =257/99:luck:

I am only hoping for 240+, i was shocked when i got my scorce.:love:

Karen

Thanks to all for posting their scores and experiences, and congrats to everyone, regardless of your score. Completing the 1st 2 years of medical school is a major accomplishment, and for those who have passed this exam, I believe there are better things to come in the future.

Here's my stats:

MCAT - 32
Elsevier Qbank - 68% average
USMLE WORLD - 72% average
NBME #2: 224 (4 weeks prior to exam)
NBME #3: 242 (1 week before exam)
STEP 1: 246

My goal was 230, so I was happy with this score. For those who were unhappy with their scores, I just want to point out that this exam is NOT the most important part of your residency application, by any means, even for the more competitive subspecialties. Based on the experiences of friends ahead of me and residents I have spoken with, it is my belief that performance on clinical rotations is of paramount importance.

For 1st and 2nd years who are preparing for the test, here are the links to my test experience and advice on how to study:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5299359&postcount=354

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5310482&postcount=7

Good luck to all.

WOAH! That's freaking awesome. Finally someone in California report getting their score. Looks like I'll be getting mine tomorrow or Monday then. Sucks living in Davis, probably be faster in Sac. I'll be in the Bay Area anyway. Congrats everyone. 272 is just crazy.

WOAH! That's freaking awesome. Finally someone in California report getting their score. Looks like I'll be getting mine tomorrow or Monday then. Sucks living in Davis, probably be faster in Sac. I'll be in the Bay Area anyway. Congrats everyone. 272 is just crazy.

I know! I checked my mail box - nothing :(

and WOW a 272 - I didn't know that existed!!! mother of pangea!!!!

I know! I checked my mail box - nothing :(

and WOW a 272 - I didn't know that existed!!! mother of pangea!!!!

haha . . . no kidding. hopefully it doesn't raise red flags of psychological liability like a 44 on the MCAT does . . . .

best of luck to everyone

Thanks, everyone. My hands were literally shaking for 5 minutes after I found out. To top it all off, I was observing a VATS in the OR when my mom called with the news. I had to step out of the room. :laugh:

Congrats UCLAstudent, maybe the rest of us could use a luck dragon too.

Goal was >230.

UW (75% @ 90 % complete)

NBME 3: 259

June 12 exam

Step 1: 247/99

Not in the stratosphere of the 260's or now 270's (272, WOW!!) but I am incredibly happy with it. The test was more difficult than NBME3 and more at the level of UW. I also have the wknd off from gen surg so life is real good right now. Congrats to all.

i would have seriously messed up my pantaloons if i opened an envelope and that number came a tumbalin out

Wow. That's so awesome.

MCAT: 24
NBME 3: About 6 weeks before test- 224
NBME 2: 4 days before test- 236
UW: 65% (About 45% complete)

COMLEX: (June 4) 646/92

USMLE: (June 1) 239/99

I am very happy with my score and I worked hard for it. Only one point shy of my goal but I am very happy and I thank God for getting me through it.

Im going to post a long experience about how I did it sometime today. Although I dont have a 250+, I still think I learned enough and did well enough to help out future test takers.

I thank all of you that contributed to these forums. The information I got helped me so much!!

Goal: 230+
School's Practice Exam before studying: 200
Free Questions: 78%
Kaplan Q-bank: 61% at 90% complete (72% on last 300)
No NBMEs
Actual Score: 230/96

This is called cutting it close, but I am both relieved and satisfied.

Goal: mean+
NBME3, one week out: 214
USMLE Score:227
COMLEX score: Pending

For a DO with a class rank around the middle, who does not want to do an AOA residency this helps.

For everyone's interest and because I'm bored, here are some quick stats on the scores I jotted down off of SDN.

mean 241.13
standard deviation 15.72
max 272

The actual average was apparently 218 and standard deviation 23

Good job, guys!! So many people doing 240+ over here, I wish I was that smart!!

I didnt do quite as well, but I was content with how I did nonetheless. Not everyone on SDN is a genius! ;)

The score: 215/89