Official 2007 USMLE Step 1 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meshuggener

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to report, but can you folks please start sharing your NBME/QBank, etc. etc. plus real deal scores so we can see the comparisons!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

"My school told us that about 5% of the class breaks 260 each year. I don't really trust them... does 5% sound right to you guys?"

SDN---50% break 260
Hopkins---maybe 15%.

Everyone else: 1%

Don't read much into SD, in non normalized data, SD data almost entirely reflects that range of 68% or so of people at +/- 1 SD...It tells very little about the scores outside of that parameter.

The last time NBME reported percentiles, 211 was the mean, 21 was the SD (231=84th percentile, 188=16th percentile), and 248 was 99th percentile. So you can extrapolate from that, obviously less than +2 SDs was over 99%ile back then, and they still don't normalize the scores so you can probably assume teh data lies on similar plane. It is a pretty safe bet that over 260 puts you in the top percentile or at worst top 2 percentile.

"My school told us that about 5% of the class breaks 260 each year. I don't really trust them... does 5% sound right to you guys?"

SDN---50% break 260
Hopkins---maybe 15%.

Everyone else: 1%

Don't read much into SD, in non normalized data, SD data almost entirely reflects that range of 68% or so of people at +/- 1 SD...It tells very little about the scores outside of that parameter.

The last time NBME reported percentiles, 211 was the mean, 21 was the SD (231=84th percentile, 188=16th percentile), and 248 was 99th percentile. So you can extrapolate from that, obviously less than +2 SDs was over 99%ile back then, and they still don't normalize the scores so you can probably assume teh data lies on similar plane. It is a pretty safe bet that over 260 puts you in the top percentile or at worst top 2 percentile.

Far less than 50% of SDNers break 260. There are a lot of 230s, 240s, and 250s, but the number of 260s has been much smaller than you claim. I scanned the first two pages and there were 6 scores of 260 or higher. 5 of them were on the first page and only one on the second page. Some of the 260+ scores were posted by people with fewer than 20 posts, which in my mind calls their validity into question. In those two pages there were far more 230s and 240s than there were scores of 260+.

While 211 may have been the mean the last time the NBME reported percentiles, the mean reported on my test is 218 and the SD is 23. While you might be able to extrapolate that the NBME is not normalizing the data, I wouldn't necessarily agree. We don't know what changes have been made to the scoring in recent years, but it seems that changes certainly are made as they hold up scores in June every year to review questions, etc.

slightly above avg med student. never honored anything in my life
MCAT: 28
NBME2 (9 days out): 236

Studied 34 days 12-14 hrs a day. Used FA, UW, RR Path, and HY Cell and Molec (1st edition).

Goal: 230

Step 1 score: 240

I'm quite happy, and shall proceed to get crunk now.

Members don't see this ad :)
SoCuteMD:

The assumptions I make are better than the ones people make by using SD data to calculate percentiles. It is a useless exercise and shows a poor understanding of epidemiology. :laugh:

First, I want to dearly thank everyone on SDN for the advice and suggestions I received throughout my board prep time. I really think going on these forums elevated me to get the score that I wanted.

Here are my stats:

NBME 3 (taken about 10 days before exam): 244
(note: i didn't do as well on the NBMEs i took earlier, but don't remember my exact scores)

Qbank Avg: ~67%
USMLE World Avg: ~68%

Actual Step 1 Score: 249

Before I took the exam, I was shooting for anything above 240. After taking the exam, I felt that I didn't do as well and decided I would be really happy with anything above 230-235.

Thanks everyone once again!!!

Also, does anyone know what percentile approximately 249 is?

I know that the mean is 217 and the standard deviation is 23, so it has to be somewhere between the 84th and 95th percentile.

Also, does anyone know what percentile approximately 249 is?

I know that the mean is 217 and the standard deviation is 23, so it has to be somewhere between the 84th and 95th percentile.

No!

Let me give an example for someone who knows how to calculate StDev but doesn't understand what it means outside of a normal distribution.

What is the mean and st. deviation of {1, 5, 9}?

Answer: mean=5, stdev=3.2 . Since 68% or so of numbers should fall within +/- 1 st dev, you would expect 2 of 3 numbers to be between 5 plus or minus 3.2, or between 1.8 and 8.2.....Yet, only 1 of 3 numbers falls in that range right?? That is 33%, considerably less than 68%.

Lesson: Don't use St. deviation to calculate percentiles on non-normalized data! It is misunderstandings of statistics as shown above that allows researchers to cheat and fudge their data so easily, for real.

My school told us that about 5% of the class breaks 260 each year. I don't really trust them... does 5% sound right to you guys?

I guess that depends on your school, but that's about where we were this year, so 5% isn't a ludicrous number.

Just to put it in perspective, at my school in the past 4 yrs only 17 people have broken 260 (they give us this data). That is out of almost 950 students who took the test, so it's about 1.7%, not 5%.

Been waiting to put my scores up for far too long, browsing these forums for years.

QBank: 69 on last 300
NBME Form 3 (two weeks out): 450 = 206 I believe

Goal: Pass
Above 215, would be icing.

Actual: 235

Not spectacular compared to some of the super stars on here, but I'm quite pleased and proud of myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
before i took the test i had a goal of 230+ that was shortly circumvented by my very low scores on NBME, usmleworld and kaplan qbank.

usmleworld ~ 60% with about 90% complete
kaplan qbank ~ 65% with about 90% complete

NBME 4 - failed in feb
CBSAA (SP?) - failed in march
NBME 1 - 195 4 weeks
NBME 2 - 219 2 weeks
NBME 3 - 219 1 week

By the time I took NBME3 I pretty much had no hope that I would get 230. At that point I was just content with getting 219, which I would be perfectly fine. I was just very glad at the prospect of passing the test. In any case, I studied for a total of about 5 weeks.

In the last week I tried to read First Aid 3 times, review my pharm at least twice, and try to cover most of Golgan Pathology.

After I took the test, I felt that I had done similarly to NBME2 and 3. I felt that I had given it a very good shot and thought I knew most of the answers. I didn't have a clue on about 2-3 questions on every block but that was also how I felt during NBME2 and 3 therefore I just thought I would get a 220 if I was lucky maybe a 225.

3 weeks later.....

final step 1 score 248

I am utterly shocked. To say the least I would never have thought that I could get anything in that vicinity. Its about a 30 point jump from where I was. Not sure how I pulled it off. Would love to think it was that last week of cramming everything in but I am not really sure. I think if anything the last week of cramming was to make myself feel better. Good luck.

Goal 250

studied 6 wks using only 1.First Aid 2.Goljan Audio 3.USMLE World QBank

NBME form 2 (pre study): 230
NBME form 4 (3 weeks in): 242
NMBE form 1 (5 weeks in): 254

150 released Qs (3 days before): 94%

USMLE World: Random blocks of 50Qs. Avg 77% (60s early, 70s middle, 80s before exam)-100% complete. Range 52%-92%.

Score: 262/99:) --still in shock

Brief Outline of Study:

6wks 12-14hrs/day--- 2 days completely off, 2 half days.

1. Had FA basically memorized by the time I took the test

2.Listened (and took notes) to all 37 Goljan lecture at least 3 times (I had a player that could speed things up to 150% without much distortion, and after the first listen on regular speed, I would crank it up and skip his jokes).

3.USMLE World: Random blocks of 50Qs. Avg 77% (60s early, 70s middle, 80s before exam)-100% complete. Range 52%-92%.

Breif Overview of Exam: Had a good spread of almost eveything (All little heavy on Immuno and Neuro....amost no Embryo and Gross Anatomy) Breakdown: 65-75% of the Qs required 2 step thinking, 15-20% required 3 steps and a handful required either a 1 or 4 step thought process. The 1 steppers were actually fairly tough b/c they asked esoteric and detailed molecular things or odd psych diseases.

nbme 2--one month out: 209
nbme 3--two weeks out: 214
nbme 1--one week out: 232

Real thing: 241 yay :)

I used FA, BRS Path, BRS Physio, GOljan audio, Kaplan Biochem, and HY Neuro. Studied about a amonth but really two weeks intensely where I'd study 8+ hours due to lots of situations that occurred earlier. I suck at standardized tests so this was a nice boost for me!!!!! I felt like I failed the thing coming out.....I was frekaing out when I was checking my score thinking I was going to get a page or an email telling me I failed! So this ws a nice surprise!

USMLE: 229/95, I had honestly thought I failed.
COMLEX: 605/89
Everyone that I've heard from in my school has passed the USMLE. I think all DO's should take it. There are many ignorant people out there. By taking the USMLE, you show that we are all equals, and it doesn't matter what school you go to, only how much work you put into it.

I think all DO's should take it. There are many ignorant people out there. By taking the USMLE, you show that we are all equals, and it doesn't matter what school you go to, only how much work you put into it.

not really sure what you mean by this.. :confused:
DOs should take the USMLE if they intend to apply to an allopathic residency. There is no other reason to take it.. other than to waste several hundred dollars.

hey -- did anybody here take the practice test offered on the usmle site? it was only three blocks of 50 questions? Anybody have any idea how your percent on that correlates with actual later usmle scores? thanks!

USMLE: 229/95, I had honestly thought I failed.
COMLEX: 605/89
Everyone that I've heard from in my school has passed the USMLE. I think all DO's should take it. There are many ignorant people out there. By taking the USMLE, you show that we are all equals, and it doesn't matter what school you go to, only how much work you put into it.

Well considering the D.O. first time pass rate is below 70% and the M.D. first time pass rate is >90%, I don't think your argument holds any water. If the schools were the same like you claim, not only should the USMLE pass rate be equivocal, but the avg undergrad GPAs would be the same as would the avg undergrade MCATs. None of these are equal, so I don't think saying "we are all equals" is an accurate/precise statement. Are there some DOs that are brilliant and rock the USMLE? Sure. Are there MDs are idiots and bomb the USMLE? sure. But if you compare the avg DO student vs the avg MD student, there really is no saying "equal". Sorry.

Well considering the D.O. first time pass rate is below 70% and the M.D. first time pass rate is >90%, I don't think your argument holds any water. If the schools were the same like you claim, not only should the USMLE pass rate be equivocal, but the avg undergrad GPAs would be the same as would the avg undergrade MCATs. None of these are equal, so I don't think saying "we are all equals" is an accurate/precise statement. Are there some DOs that are brilliant and rock the USMLE? Sure. Are there MDs are idiots and bomb the USMLE? sure. But if you compare the avg DO student vs the avg MD student, there really is no saying "equal". Sorry.

Just a reminder, people. Let's keep the discussion civil. DOs who take the USMLE also have to take the COMLEX, so it's natural that some of them would focus more on the COMLEX than the USMLE. Allopathic students have the luxury of only studying for one set of boards. The pass rate for DOs has trended upwards in recent years and the pass rate for first-time testers from DO schools is 77%, not actually below 70%. (Link)

Got my score, 241/99.

Studied 4 wks, ~9hrs/day with Saturday and Wed off.
UWorld completed 67%, final three scores averaged 72%.
Went through FA x1.5

Pretty happy with score:D. Average in class, average MCAT, didn't kill myself trying to study for the test. Best resource = FA

Anyone studying that have questions for me, PM me :idea:

bleh

pre student usmle on paper (2 full forms)
166 Late April
158 Early May
NBME1 189
NBME2 212
NBME3 219
NBME4 210
(NBME scores are converstions)

Books used: FA for the USMLE 2005 - the last edition in the classical outline which i like better. BRS path and pharm cards. Any topic I didn't know out of FA was googled - i.e i know what actinic keratosis is but wtf does it look like...i google.

I waited too late to study so I didn't buy kaplan or UW - I studied in one month and by the time I thought to buy them it was t-3weeks and I didnt want to blow $500 to depress myself.

o/t........Which was scarey because I got a Q on my test that asked "which malignancy does this lesion predispose to?" And it was like a bald man's head with the worst actinic keratosis EVER - i wanted to pour ice water on the screen - the erethema and crusting was DISGUSTING!!!

USMLE 244/99

emotion: happy for three weeks
now upset that i still have to work
I want to be a obgyn! hyuk!

YAY I get to post here!
MCAT 34
Free 150: 79% (3-4 weeks out)
NBME 3: 510 (2 weeks out)
UW: 50% complete, 67 avg at end, but occasional blocks of 50 in the 50s!!!
Kaplan: Used 350 questions from friends subscription ~68 avg

Used: kaplan organ systems, but avoided pharm like the plague until the last week.
First Aid 2x.
Poster Presentation 2 Hours away the sunday before the boards. Wasn't able to focus on test for that fri, sat or sun!!
Last week it was GOLJAN, GOLJAN GOLJAN (didn't get the audio until then)

Sad: >220
Realistic Goal: 220+
Dream Goal: 230+
Told people I would get a tattoo and run naked through the streets goal: 240+
This morning I didn't know if I failed or not!!!

Step 1 Score: 247!!!!!!!:eek::hardy::eek:

YAY I get to post here!
Told people I would get a tattoo and run naked through the streets goal: 240+

If you're a girl,we expect some pics :D (although what are the odds of that seeing as how your name is Rugby?)

If you're a girl,we expect some pics :D (although what are the odds of that seeing as how your name is Rugby?)
if rugbymd is a girl I really don't think I'd want to see naked pics......Its tough enough to look at pictures of female rugby players w/ their clothes on....

if rugbymd is a girl I really don't think I'd want to see naked pics......Its tough enough to look at pictures of female rugby players w/ their clothes on....

Good point, although I'm glad you said that and not me.

Here are mine:

Stats:
Form 1- 226
Form 2- 240
Form 3- 236
Form 4- 244 (6 days before exam)

Kaplan Q bank: 69%, finished all of it, avg 72% in last 2 weeks
USMLERx: did 1500 questions, avg. 75%

Step 1: 245/99

Happy with score, thought would do a bit better. Good luck to everyone!!!!!!

Here are mine:

Stats:
Form 1- 226
Form 2- 240
Form 3- 236
Form 4- 244 (6 days before exam)

Kaplan Q bank: 69%, finished all of it, avg 72% in last 2 weeks
USMLERx: did 1500 questions, avg. 75%

Step 1: 245/99

Happy with score, thought would do a bit better. Good luck to everyone!!!!!!
sorry to hear you wish you would do better, but that score is never going to hold you back.

MCAT 39
NBME 1 -6 weeks 247
NBME 2 -3 weeks 261
NBME 4 -2 weeks 259
NBME 3 -1 week 261

USMLE step 1 262

whew
I look at this and I see a squandered opportunity to have taken the test after NBME 2 and had a 3-week vacation.

Well I guess I will post my scores as well.

GOAL = 230+

NBME 1 = 228 June 6th
NBME 2 = 214 June 8th
NBME 4 = 224 two weeks out
NBME 3 = 230 One week out

STEP 1 = 243/99:D:D:D:D

I was extremely happy although I think I could have gotten to 250 if I had studied a little more seriously, and not so much in front of the tv:rolleyes:. Regardless I surpassed my goal!
Some of the scores on here are absolutely insane and I congratulate everyone on such outstanding performances.

Well Rugby is a chick, and a babe too- but I didn't run naked in the streets last night- so no pics!!! (I bet the various PDs and admins that lurk would love to pick a doc that posts naked pics on SDN. Its like the definition of professionalism!)

Thanks!

I got more vacation than I can handle since I'm doing a light year of research. But yes I don't think much changed in the last 3 weeks.

Hi board score + year of research = uber competitive res. Question on my mind is which one?

MCAT: 29S
LSAT: 157
GRE: 1380
Bar Exam: 95%

NBME 1 209
NBME 2 224
NBME 4 226
NBME 3 228

Step I: 225/94 (I guess my exam was a bad one?)

MCAT: 32
Goal: 230ish
NBME 3 (2.5 weeks b4 exam): 209
USMLE free Qs (2.5 weeks b4 exam): 245
Kaplan Qbank: started in 50s, ended in high 70s, 100% done
Step 1: 242/99 :D

This is way better than I every hoped to do, so I am ecstatic!!! :D:D:D

MCAT: 29S
LSAT: 157
GRE: 1380
Bar Exam: 95%

NBME 1 209
NBME 2 224
NBME 4 226
NBME 3 228

Step I: 225/94 (I guess my exam was a bad one?)

That's a great score. From what I've been told, that score won't keep you out of the running for any EM residency.

Well Rugby is a chick, and a babe too- but I didn't run naked in the streets last night- so no pics!!! (I bet the various PDs and admins that lurk would love to pick a doc that posts naked pics on SDN. Its like the definition of professionalism!)
sorry bout that....allow me to put my foot back in my mouth

AHH feels good to be done, took the beast today. Will I get my score online? I am confused.