Official 2007 USMLE Step 1 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meshuggener

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything to report, but can you folks please start sharing your NBME/QBank, etc. etc. plus real deal scores so we can see the comparisons!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Goal: 230

MCAT: 35
Basic Science Shelf given by our school: 205 (in April, before studying)
NBME 1: 216 after 1 week of studying
NBME 2: 230 after 2 1/2 weeks of studying
NBME 3: 236 after 4 weeks of studying
NBME 4: 245 after 5 weeks of studying (4 days before test)
Free 150: 89% (medfriends predicted a 253 from this), 3 days before test
Qbank: 100% complete, 67% (finished bank 3 weeks into studying)
USMLEWorld: 55% complete, 68%

Actual step 1: 255/99. Super excited and a little in shock still...I keep looking at the letter to make sure it's my name and the same score still!

Also, sorry if this posted more than once...the cat stepped on the computer and either posted or deleted the post the first time I wrote it and I can't figure out which.

Hey all, I also made a 23 on my MCAT twice (even after taking Princeton Review) so I told myself that I was going to do horrible on the step. I was really convinced I was just a bad standardized test taker.

Anyways, I studied for about 5 wks, nothing before that and I got my score and I made a 233/97. So I am pretty psyched. I can't complain considering 1) I didn't even know if I would pass and 2) If I did pass I was shooting for a 210 and 3)I'm just trying to do a Med Peds or Peds Residency.

I didn't do any NMBE tests bc I'm cheap and I thought if it gave me a bad score it would stress me out so I kind of just went in there and took it.

What I did do: 8 to 12hrs a day of studying with a couple half days off for de-stressing.
First Aide twice. Took about three weeks to finish it once and then 2 wks to finish it a second time.
Kaplan books just for biochem part to supplement first aid.
All of Goljan once.
Qbank 97% (62% average)

This is basically for all the pre-meders and M1s and M2s who think they are going to do horrible on the step bc they did bad on the MCAT, if you study your butt off you can pass the Step 1 and do a lot better than you think. I think it was more a test of discipline than aptitude for me, but that's just for me bc others could make the same score I did after 2 wks of studying.

Anyways congrats to all and THANK GOD it is DONE and I PASSED!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, is that 272 the highest score ever seen? I wonder if they scale the test so that at least one person gets a 280.

Happy happy!

USMLEWorld: 79% (63% complete, I got sick of doing them)
NBME 1: 246 (2.5 weeks before)
Free 150 Q's: 268 (1 week before)

Step 1: 269

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee

269 seems so puny now that UCLAstudent got a 272. At first I was impressed, but now I'm just like, "meh." I recommend suicide.

Wow, UCLAStudent, I bow down to you! :bow: Congratulations, girl! You rock!!!

Goal: 260+

Study Strategy:
Mid-March - Mid-May: Read Kaplan Lecture Notes (for everything but Path), BRS Pathology, and First Aid when not studying for classes; anything important in Kaplan or BRS not in First Aid was either tagged or written into First Aid
30 days, 10-12 hrs/day: First Aid + 100-200 Qbank questions/day + 1 NBME test/week
Advice to future test-takers: Pick your favorite resource for each subject. Too many resources can get confusing and you're not going to get much more out of a duplicate resource.
Echoing UCLAStudent - Goljan, not a necessity

Kaplan Qbank (100% complete): 85%
NBME 1 (4 wks): 250
NBME 2 (3 wks): 256
NBME 3 (2 wks): 265+
NBME 4 (1 wk): 265+

I've been debating weather to post my score, and I've decided only to say that I met my goal to give credibility to my study method and the NBME as a good score predictor.

Congratulations to everyone who surpassed their goals!!! :clap:

I've been debating weather to post my score, and I've decided only to say that I met my goal to give credibility to my study method and the NBME as a good score predictor.

You got < 272. You have disgraced your family.

269 seems so puny now that UCLAstudent got a 272. At first I was impressed, but now I'm just like, "meh." I recommend suicide.

Yeah, you're right, I don't know how I can live with the shame. Why me? WHY ME???

Goodbye cruel world.

Goal: 230+
Actual score: 233/97

Avg Kaplan qbank scores: 60-70%
NBME 150: 82%

Differential:
Got whooped in nutrition... good times.
* in CV, GI, GA/E, Heme/onc, Repro/Endocrine

Just a fun fact... C's on most of those exams/classes during the school year.

Goal = 230-235

Kaplan = 63%
NBME2 (2 weeks before actual test) = 226
NBME3 (3-4 days before actual test)= 234
Free 150 = 85% (1 week before actual test)

Actual Step 1 = 241/99

It may not be as impressive as all those 260+ people, but I am beyond thrilled with this score. I walked into the exam confident of 230-235, and walked out of the exam in complete shock, not even knowing if I passed. I'm glad to know I did even better than I expected.

Thanks to everyone who posted advice on here... it was very helpful!

Wow, UCLAStudent, I bow down to you! :bow: Congratulations, girl! You rock!!!

Goal: 260+

Study Strategy:
Mid-March - Mid-May: Read Kaplan Lecture Notes (for everything but Path), BRS Pathology, and First Aid when not studying for classes; anything important in Kaplan or BRS not in First Aid was either tagged or written into First Aid
30 days, 10-12 hrs/day: First Aid + 100-200 Qbank questions/day + 1 NBME test/week
Advice to future test-takers: Pick your favorite resource for each subject. Too many resources can get confusing and you're not going to get much more out of a duplicate resource.
Echoing UCLAStudent - Goljan, not a necessity

Kaplan Qbank (100% complete): 85%
NBME 1 (4 wks): 250
NBME 2 (3 wks): 256
NBME 3 (2 wks): 265+
NBME 4 (1 wk): 265+

Congratulations to everyone who surpassed their goals!!! :clap:

Were Kaplan and BRS Path your only resources?

It is crazy to hear people who earned 220 + saying that they did poorly! A 220 + is a great score (better than the average medical student!) From what I have heard if you are at or slightly over the national average then most programs are within reach with a solid performance during third year, and beyond a 230 you are set for most programs outside of the choice super-competitive programs in the Northeast and Cali.

Congratulations to everyone on this forum, and thank God that that stinking test is behind us!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is crazy to hear people who earned 220 + saying that they did poorly! A 220 + is a great score (better than the average medical student!) From what I have heard if you are at or slightly over the national average then most programs are within reach with a solid performance during third year, and beyond a 230 you are set for most programs outside of the choice super-competitive programs in the Northeast and Cali.

Congratulations to everyone on this forum, and thank God that that stinking test is behind us!

above 230 isn't good enough for northeast or cali programs? is that really true? i thought 230 was cut off for all major programs, including the "super-competitive" ones.

above 230 isn't good enough for northeast or cali programs? is that really true? i thought 230 was cut off for all major programs, including the "super-competitive" ones.

Cutoffs tend to be a closely-guarded secret. Don't let SDN gossip freak you out - especially if it's in the Step 1 forum but pertaining to residency applications!!

Got my score in the mail today!

Goal: 250+
NBME 2: 253 (4 weeks before exam)
NBME 4: 265+ (2 weeks before exam)
NBME 3: 257 (week of exam)

Actual score: 272/99

I'm SHOCKED! By the way, I didn't touch Goljan's audio lectures or book, so they're not necessary to do well! Good luck to all who are still waiting.

:bow:

You got < 272. You have disgraced your family.

Haha. I will immediately commit sepuku. UCLAStudent can be my second. :p

Seriously, I'm just not posting the exact number because I'm not telling my classmates and there might be some here. I prefer not to be known as a number or ranked among my other esteemed colleagues who scored in the same range.

Were Kaplan and BRS Path your only resources?

Kaplan and BRS Path were my review resources, but then I'd cross-reference with First Aid, and anything that was important that was in the first two and not in First Aid was added. Questions I got wrong on Qbank were also added into FA. So my First Aid eventually became my Bible.

Haha. I will immediately commit sepuku. UCLAStudent can be my second. :p

Seriously, I'm just not posting the exact number because I'm not telling my classmates and there might be some here. I prefer not to be known as a number or ranked among my other esteemed colleagues who scored in the same range.

Kaplan and BRS Path were my review resources, but then I'd cross-reference with First Aid, and anything that was important that was in the first two and not in First Aid was added. Questions I got wrong on Qbank were also added into FA. So my First Aid eventually became my Bible.

you just told your classmates you got a 260+

It was not about what score can get what residency, etc. for me. It was all about the score itself. A high score would have given me confidence and happiness that I could carry with me through the rest of med school. I could look back and feel happy that I accomplished something that only a handful of people could do. You can't be proud of something that thousands upon thousands of other people have. That's why I feel totally mediocre and unremarkable.

Unhappy Score: 239 or less
Neutral Score: 240
Very Happy Score: 250+

Actual Score: 240/99

I'm perfectly f**ing neutral. More goddamn neutrality in my life.

what a ****ing douchenozzle

First off, I had/still have no clue as to what the NBME 1,2,3 things are and I feel like a *****. But, my resources were Robbins Pathology (let the wisecracks begin), BRS Path, Lippincott's Pharm and Biochem, Kaplan QBank (100% complete, 78% overall average), Kaplan QBook (I recommend this one), FirstAid (mixed emotions about this book, but good to have), Clinical Micro made ridiculously simple, and Pre-Test Pharm and Path (another great couple books to test your understanding).

USMLE Step 1 score: 270/99

I am going to credit the Big Guy upstairs, and I'd say my secret is Spree and Sweet-Tarts (I ate an entire movie theater-sized box of each over the course of my breaks). Needless to say, I amost s*!t myself. Especially since I was totally a head case after being dumped the week of the exam and having my family turn into a 3-ring circus. And for those of you wondering, I really like pathology.

I studied pretty much around the clock for almost 3 weeks after sporadically studying throughout our spring quarter.

NBME Form 2: 205 (beggining, 3 weeks out)
NBME Form 3: 224 (1 week out)
UW: 67% overall (started in low 50s ended in 70s)

USMLE: 242/99
COMLEX: 651/93

I was pretty shocked to see my score go up that much from the nbme 3 I took one week out, but from what I have seen, 3 underestimates more then the others. I have to give big ups to the goljan path book. Its long, but it incorporates everything together nicely. I think it is a solid resource to start with for a first run through the info, but probably to lengthy to read multiple times. I feel like I got a lot of the random questions right because of the extra tidbits in that book. After I took the test I remember thinking "Holy Sh#t, I just Sh#t the bed on that one." I was in a funk for about a week because I thought I flushed all that hard work down the toilet with a bad showing at the test. This test can belittle you in a way you have never felt before, and I am only saying this to warn future takers you might feel awful after you take the test, but trust all the hard work you did and dont let it get you down.

my first post, i <3 u guys!

comlex: 688
usmle: 252
kaplan q bank: 97% complete, ~73% correct

for comlex:
first aid 2x
kaplan comlex review books (anat, pharm, microbio/immuno, path, biochem/genetics all 2x)
step up 2x

for usmle (had it a week after comlex so i just went over what i thought would be high-yield stuff, which was):
first aid 1x
kaplan comlex review books (pharm, microbio/immuno, biochem/genetics all 1x)
step up 1x

hope this helps (i studied 6-10 hrs a day for ~40 days). i wanted to get through first aid and step up 4x each, but the kaplan books made this impossible (at least for me, i'm a lazy bum). best of luck to everyone else, way to rock the boards for everyone who's posted!

MCAT: 36S
NBME 1: ~209
NBME 2: ~215
NBME 3: ~215
Kaplan: 65% (60% complete)
USMLEW 67% (85% complete)

Step 1 Score: 231/96

Not sure how I should feel, but kudos all around.

Goal was 220. Exceeded goal. Nuff said

Here is what I used:

First Aid- went through twice
Read Rapid Review Pathology once in depth, skimmed BRS Path
Qbank: 55% done, average score was like 60%
NBME I: 232

Didn't do the 150 free questions or tried to use the Goljan lectures. Did some questions from the Qbook and read through most of the cases in First Aid Cases. Time to go celebrate!

First off congrats to everyone, it seems like everyone is 250+ this year. Which makes me sort of worry how my score is 242/99. I can't complain about my score it would be ungrateful but do you guys think it's a type of score that would make me competitive in some of the top medicine programs or other residencies like ENT, Rad-Onc.:confused:

First off congrats to everyone, it seems like everyone is 250+ this year. Which makes me sort of worry how my score is 242/99. I can't complain about my score it would be ungrateful but do you guys think it's a type of score that would make me competitive in some of the top medicine programs or other residencies like ENT, Rad-Onc.:confused:

I don't know if it will "make you" competitive, but if you are otherwise competitive it will compliment that very nicely.

ENT and RadOnc are very competitive and they're looking for a lot more than high scores.

Oh there was a recent update to my score: 299/100 using only prayer, kaplan qbank, and first aid.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but man the longer this thread gets the less pleased I am w/my score. The way I look at it, regardless of what everyone says a good residency program is looking for, when we all apply, all the residency directors are gonna see everyone w/250/99's and that 249 that used to be stellar a year ago suddenly becomes slightly less than stellar, and all the competitive programs instead of going "wow", say "oh look another one". Then they'll see my crappy first year grades and my thrice broken nose, and there goes my EM spot.

I'm secretly hoping everyones lying, but then I really doubt people'd just randomly get on a board and post a high score for the hell of it.

sigh Sorry for ranting/kidding, I'm just bitter.

That being said dont take this the wrong way, congrats to everyone, we all worked really hard and everyone earned their scores. I couldnt want a better bunch of people to do well on step 1. Everyone here's been really nice and supportive.

usmle... umm yeah I passed =)

Thanks a lot SDN, I extensively read this site a week before my boards, only to realize that I definitely did not prepare enough.

I know what you mean, Roy7 -- I think anyone reading this has to realize there's a huge (self) selection bias at works. People are much less likely to post a plain old good, mediocre, or even failing score than they are to post a stellar score. Those of you who haven't taken the test yet...STOP reading this thread! It's just intimidating to see people's scores if you're just hoping to do reasonably well like I was. All you can do is study hard and do the best you can, so worrying too much about the numbers is just counterproductive. Do like I did and block SDN on your computer before the exam.

And now that I feel rather silly for posting..

MCAT: 37
To set the stage, I'm a slightly above average student with mostly A's and some B's. I didn't spend much time studying in the first 2 years except for the weekends before exams, but I did attend class regularly (at least 2nd year). I'm a good test taker, and I generally retain information fairly well.
3 weeks to study, used only FA, BRS Path, BRS Phys and of course UWorld which I've raved about in other threads
USMLE World: I was around 60% average with about 50% completed (my scores never really improved through the 3 weeks I used it)
No NBME's - I prefer to live dangerously...:cool: (but really, I didn't have time)
Step 1: 252/99 :D:confused::D Yeah, I'm as surprised as you are. Not that I'm complaining. :hardy:

Oh there was a recent update to my score: 299/100 using only prayer, kaplan qbank, and first aid.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but man the longer this thread gets the less pleased I am w/my score. The way I look at it, regardless of what everyone says a good residency program is looking for, when we all apply, all the residency directors are gonna see everyone w/250/99's and that 249 that used to be stellar a year ago suddenly becomes slightly less than stellar, and all the competitive programs instead of going "wow", say "oh look another one". Then they'll see my crappy first year grades and my thrice broken nose, and there goes my EM spot.

I'm secretly hoping everyones lying, but then I really doubt people'd just randomly get on a board and post a high score for the hell of it.

sigh Sorry for ranting/kidding, I'm just bitter.

That being said dont take this the wrong way, congrats to everyone, we all worked really hard and everyone earned their scores. I couldnt want a better bunch of people to do well on step 1. Everyone here's been really nice and supportive.

yea it sucks to not hit your goal. i know you studied for like 6 months for this test. you'll have no problem matching into EM though.

Roy7 ... 250 is not the cut-off score that top tier Program Directors look for ...
it's actually 230 ... and cheer up .... you are almost 1.25 SD above the mean, and the score is just one thing of a dozen that program directors look for .....
Good Luck and you 'll get into EM !

The way I look at it, regardless of what everyone says a good residency program is looking for, when we all apply, all the residency directors are gonna see everyone w/250/99's and that 249 that used to be stellar a year ago suddenly becomes slightly less than stellar, and all the competitive programs instead of going "wow", say "oh look another one". Then they'll see my crappy first year grades and my thrice broken nose, and there goes my EM spot.

Don't worry, despite this thread your score will still stand out. I also doubt that your score is any less stellar this year than last year.

They won't care about your first year grades (and if I recall, they aren't that crappy)

Just thought I'd share. I never thought I'd even pass Boards as the exam date approached, but I just kept pushing through and I made it in the end :)

NBME2 (2 weeks before exam): 195
NBME3 (1 week before exam): 209
NBME4 (4 days before exam): 214

UW ~35-40% complete: avg ~55%

Goal: #1, pass, if possible national avg, and 220+ would have made me content

USMLE Step 1: 233/97 :hardy:
Totally exceeded my expectations! Not a 240+ or anything, but i'm completely happy with it. Didn't even think breaking 230 was within possibility. I think what helped was that I studied and crammed super hard 5-6 days before the exam, pretty much non-stop. Really solidified a lot of subjects. Couldn't have managed without FA, Goljan RR, Goljan Audio to accompany, MMRS. Thought the exam itself was not bad at all. Some difficult things, but found myself being able to answer or narrow down answers for most of the exam. I didn't focus to much on things I didn't know, just moved on. A thorough review, particularly in your weaker areas, seemed to be key. Made stupid mistakes that I can still remember, but what can ya do.

you just told your classmates you got a 260+

They know/expect that much, but at least a handful of people in my class got 260+ and I see no reason for us to rank ourselves in number order. We all kicked ass. :D

Goal: Beat my NBME Test 3 score.

MCAT: 27
NBME 1: 226
NBME 3: 232
USMLE: 237/99
COMLEX: 674/94

Studied a lot of Goljan and did lots of questions - UW and all of QBank. I can't say I'm disappointed, but breaking 240 would have been nice...:rolleyes:

They know/expect that much, but at least a handful of people in my class got 260+ and I see no reason for us to rank ourselves in number order. We all kicked ass. :D

My school told us that about 5% of the class breaks 260 each year. I don't really trust them... does 5% sound right to you guys?

My school told us that about 5% of the class breaks 260 each year. I don't really trust them... does 5% sound right to you guys?
if your at one of the schools w/ like a 35+ mcat avg...then I guess its possible...but otherwise.....thats likely a bunch of crap...

though w/o having a normal or known distribution of scores its really all speculation

if your at one of the schools w/ like a 35+ mcat avg...then I guess its possible...but otherwise.....thats likely a bunch of crap...
I think 5% is likely at any allopathic school. With a normal distribution, it would be 96th - 97th percentile. That means 3-4% of test takers get 260 or higher, but since FMG's and DO's traditionally score lower, 5% at an allopathic school seems about right.
though w/o having a normal or known distribution of scores its really all speculation
yep...and who cares, because above 250 it probably doesn't matter.

Yay - it's over

For those who are like me

original MCAT 23 --> bumped to 30 after second time taking it (bleh - sucky standardized test taker!)

Studied for 7 weeks
Did 94% of Kaplan - getting like 65-70% by the end
Did 30% of UWorld - scoring in 65-68% range
NBME 1 - 204 (6 weeks out)
NBME 2 - I think I got like a 230 (2 weeks out)
NBME 4 - 232 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 3 - 235 (1 week out)
150 questions - 80 something - can't remember

Real thing - very similar to the pattern -

Used:
Goljan Audio
Goljan RR
FA (upside down and sideways)
HY cell/mol bio
RR biochem
BRS flashcards (pharm/micro)
HY Neuro
HY Embryo

I think that's it - do lots of quetsions, take lots of practice tests - I could have taken the damn thing like 2 weeks before I did b/c my score kinda plateaued.

I studied for like 7 hours for the first 4 weeks, then cranked it up to 10-12 for the last 3 weeks.

Good luck to everyone next year.

I think 5% is likely at any allopathic school. With a normal distribution, it would be 96th - 97th percentile. That means 3-4% of test takers get 260 or higher, but since FMG's and DO's traditionally score lower, 5% at an allopathic school seems about right.
yep...and who cares, because above 250 it probably doesn't matter.

gotcha....though for some reason I thought that the avg and sd that we usually see quoted is derived from US MD students only....anyway...doesn't really matter

btw...it feels pretty good to break some traditions..;)

Just wanted to chip in for all the medical student subculture out there-- the ones who have agonized whether or not med school was for them all along, who thought it was insanely boring, who crammed before every test because they were motivated by neither fear nor interest in the material....

I started studying around the end of May. I studied, all told, for about 15-20 days. Lots of breaks. Never more than 4 hours a day, mostly by the pool. Visited family, enjoyed my life, took some trips during Boards Break. All of this was necessary to keep me both sane and enrolled.

Study materials: First Aid, once. Secrets, 0.75. Qbank: 15%.
Score: 218/90.
And I will never have to crack one of those damn boring books again.

Still in school, actually enjoying third year. So assuming anyone who fears the professional school mentality as much as I do is actually on SDN, and actually read all the way to end of this thread-- take heart. If I can do it, you can do it.

PS MCAT 39T
Phi Beta Kappa
graduated summa
2 Master's degrees
at top 5 med school
not sure I will go into the Match