Official 2008 Step 1 Score Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lipofuscin232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok since nobody has made one yet I figured I'd start it since scores should be posted in less than 5 min! Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

229/95... don't know if I should be happy or not after I saw all the stellar grades. I went to a public city college in the US, and a caribbean school that isn't one of the well known schools. I really wanted to do plastics or ortho.. am I completely ruined now :(

Hey there caribbean comrad - you got a very very solid score - I wouldn't give up on the ortho dream at all....averages for residents in ortho is ~ 234 - you got a few pts. below that - don't forget that 234 is an AVERAGE...so there are many orthos out there who get above and below a 234 - bring something else good to the table in a couple years and I doubt they'll hold getting a 229 against you. I'm aware of the "stigma" coming from a carib school, but in my opinion there's really no such thing, since its more of a personal matter....good board scores don't lie - many img's will blame not getting a residency in their area of interest on the fact that they came from a carib school, but I think it's a crock of BS - go be an ortho and represent carib nation...

I don't think so,u have step2 to reinforce ur application with.it's good.be thankful to GOD.

Hey there caribbean comrad - you got a very very solid score - I wouldn't give up on the ortho dream at all....averages for residents in ortho is ~ 234 - you got a few pts. below that - don't forget that 234 is an AVERAGE...so there are many orthos out there who get above and below a 234 - bring something else good to the table in a couple years and I doubt they'll hold getting a 229 against you. I'm aware of the "stigma" coming from a carib school, but in my opinion there's really no such thing, since its more of a personal matter....good board scores don't lie - many img's will blame not getting a residency in their area of interest on the fact that they came from a carib school, but I think it's a crock of BS - go be an ortho and represent carib nation...
Iam an IMG too, i got 218, 90, i think with this score i wouldnot have any problem going into internal medicine :confused:.

Members don't see this ad :)
only on sdn...:laugh:

Congratulations all! Your amazing scores will not deter me from merging this thread with the real official score thread, but I'll keep them separate while the scores keep coming in
Can we leave em separate? I sorta like seeing scores without digging through the clutter of the experiences. Last yr we had two threads too.
Nice work everyone btw.

Well folks. I'll be the first one to admit that I bombed it. 202. I'm so upset that I will probably not sleep for days and I'm on my surgery rotation so that makes matters even worse. Considering how bad I felt coming out of that exam, I guess I should be happy to have passed it at all. Oh well I didn't go to medical school to be any specific specialty at the time. I guess I should just be happy for the opportunity to be an MD at all. Goodbye anesthesia, hello family practice in Alaska. Congrats to all who did well, and my condolences to all who did not. I need a hug...:(

...to you. Don't be thrown off by the high scores posted here. Many MD's with happy and lucrative careers did not have top scores. You are half way to your MD. Your evaluations still mean something. Look ahead, do your best, and relax!

Finally saw my score today.
MCAT 1st time: 17
MCAT 2nd time: 19
undergrad gpa: 2.8

NBME 3 (1 month out): 460
NBME 4 (2.5 week out): 440
Step 1: 225

2 years ago US med schools would have laughed in my face and now I think I actually beat the national mean. Aint that a b*tch. Theres no point posting my exam experience because I have nothing new to say. You guys preparing for the exam know that high yeild stuff thats on the exam, know how to study, and know what materials to use. Time to get drunk and see some strippers!

Reactions: 1 user
Well folks. I'll be the first one to admit that I bombed it. 202. I'm so upset that I will probably not sleep for days and I'm on my surgery rotation so that makes matters even worse. Considering how bad I felt coming out of that exam, I guess I should be happy to have passed it at all. Oh well I didn't go to medical school to be any specific specialty at the time. I guess I should just be happy for the opportunity to be an MD at all. Goodbye anesthesia, hello family practice in Alaska. Congrats to all who did well, and my condolences to all who did not. I need a hug...:(
You'll want to look at this:
http://www.aamc.org/programs/cim/chartingoutcomes.pdf

My score was pretty awful, too, so I read through that document last night. Anesthesia is not out of the question for you. Just look at your range of Step 1 scores for anesthesia for 2007 Match. Granted, there are other factors, but if you can make a nice improvement on Step 2 and have a good third year, you'll be fine. Anything but the super hard fields are still within reason. Basically, the best programs in any field are hard to get into, but as a whole, you will find a spot somewhere in all but the super competitive fields. The hard data doesn't lie. I know SDN can make one feel inferior, but this site is incredible skewed. Pick your head up. :)

246/99

this never should have happenned to someone like me :)

1 pt higher than my last nbme (#6) in case future readers are questioning it's predictivity

PM me if you are specifically interested in anesthesiology (rather than listing it as an example of something you don't feel confident about anymore).

I know several people that have matched in gas (even at big name programs) with below-average scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
227/95....
i doubt i'm competitive for any of the competitive specialities.
worked so hard and feel dumb...

250 -

dissappointed after scoring in the 260's on NBME - but I definitely felt like I scored in the 235-240 range coming out of the exam and felt horrible. so I'd take it. hopefully it doesn't stop me from getting competitive specialties

Congrats everyone!

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Even though you still have a great score, I understand how you feel. You deserved a superstar score but sometimes that is the luck of the draw I guess.

Hi, guys,
I was shooting for 240's but just got my score, 206/85. I am so numb to my feelings now since my rotation has already started so can't crash at this time. Man...what is my chance to get to UCSF Ob/Gyn program for this kind of score?? Is there ever a chance for me to go back to California????? I am just sooooo sad and felt dumb and angry at myself

This whole topic that keeps popping up through this thread that somehow a 2-f'ing-50 is not a stellar score is just ******ed to me. you just took a test that required the ability to do math! use this ability to understand that a 250 is >90th percentile! What in the name of Christ are you moaning about?

This whole topic that keeps popping up through this thread that somehow a 2-f'ing-50 is not a stellar score is just ******ed to me. you just took a test that required the ability to do math! use this ability to understand that a 250 is >90th percentile! What in the name of Christ are you moaning about?

Amen....amen....amen....thanks for stating this.....it does create some slight nauseating feelings in me reading the >90%ile moaners.....they should really go find themselves a corner and cry

Hey Brisket,

First congrats on a great score. Let me put my emotions this way - just like you i wanted to break out of the cycle of mediocre standardized test scores this time. I sucked on SAT, and MCAT. I really thought that a 260+ would bring me some relief.

I am totally fine with my score. But just this morning 3 of my friends from my school got 260's and one got a 269! we all have had similar test scores on exams and have similar knowledge base etc.

In the end TEST TAKING ABILITY IS A HUGE PART OF THIS TEST! people, if you can read fast and simultaneously process info, you can easily get 260+. Also, this test is about common sense too. I missed easy diagnosis because I overthought the scenario. To all the future test takers, manage time well, read fast, go with gut feeling ALWAYS.

I still believe that people who rock at reading comprehension can rock any standardize test be is SAT, MCAT, or Steps (in step I you need hard work and knowledge too to be in upper echelon). Anyways, read alot of books! (if a random highschooler is reading this - which would be kinda lame but still). I just wish English was my first language.

My score wasn't what I wanted but thanks to the magic and anonymity of the internet it's now a 262! Go me! :)

I was just saying I feel InternationlDoc for being a little disappointed. What rule is there that says you have to be ecstatic because you get a score that most people can't achieve and is good enough for residency? The guy was scoring 265+ and had a bad day on the real thing so he's disappointed. I'm sure he knows he still has a killer score, but still disappointed. It would be like someone who hoping for 240 and was scoring right in that range and then scored 225 on the real exam. Is that person not going to be just a bit disappointed even though he scored above average? Nobody is putting down anyone else's score, but I don't see the point in picking an arbitrary number above which nobody is allowed to admit disappointment in their score. I would imagine that if the guy Dwyane Wade scored only 260 he would be a bit disappointed. Not because it's not a good enough score, but because he scored 265+ on every NBME so he expects to score that well on the real thing. Just different expectations, that's all.

Thanks for understanding tfom -

people i am not a psycho thinking 250 isn't great. Its a damn good score. but look, I got a 32 on MCAT and that was I believe 87th percentile. not a 37 which was 95th or something -- see the difference?

250 is good. its 90th but its not 260.

again, not being obnoxious, but as i mentioned before, no matter how much work I put in, my lack of quick comprehension from a paragraph written on any subject will always make me underachieve - for example the long patient cases. Try to understand that. Infact, I knew that would be the limiting factor and it was on the exam day. I didn't lie about my NBMEs but honestly, all of them had short stems nothing like my exam with multilple lab values etc. Step 1 is becoming more of a comprehension - as in reading a paragraph and then narrowing down diagnoses. I'll hopefully become good at this.

the problem with that argument is that the difference b/w 225 and 240 is SO MUCH GREATER than that between a 250 and 265 and we must all realize that, right?

it reminds me of premed days when people were furious based on getting a 36 not a 42 - for all intents and purposes they are the same score. ie they both open the same doors, both look incredible, and at that point admissions will look off the mcat. in what specialty will a 250 vs 260 matter? unless u are an IMG in which case i am not up to speed on what it takes

but look, I got a 32 on MCAT and that was I believe 87th percentile. not a 37 which was 95th or something -- see the difference?

No, I don't. Your 32 got you in to med school after all, didn't it?

The whole point of these standardized tests is that they are a means to an end. Did you take Step 1 so that you could brag about being in a certain percentile, or did you take Step 1 so that you would be qualified to apply for your residency of choice? I doubt many program directors are going to throw out your residency application because of your measly 250.

Man, some people need a little perspective.

i agree! we all do - minus the minority of non-toolish people on this site whose posts i enjoy reading, sdn is just such a lame crowd - myself included of course

no I understand dudette...

look I really was disappointed yesterday - but you guys are right. I dont see PDs throwing away my score. I am doing fine today. I posted that after the scores came out, but hey its all good. I don't want to turn in this thread into ME ME

again to all the posters -- Congratulation for being done with step 1 and amazing scores!

keep posting for future test takers

This is my very first SDN post!

MCAT: 26
NBME 1 (10 weeks out): 194
CBSE (5 weeks out): 210
NBME 3 (4 weeks out): 216
Free 150 (3 weeks out): 81% (wikitestprep - 225, medfriends - 241)
NBME 4 (2.5 weeks out): 224
NBME 6 (1.5 weeks out): 236
UWorld (100% completed): 68% (average of last 500)

Step 1: 241/99! :thumbup:

My goal was anything over 240, so I'm f-ing ecstatic! Thank God and the posters here on SDN for all the advice and support. :)

Hey Brisket,

First congrats on a great score. Let me put my emotions this way - just like you i wanted to break out of the cycle of mediocre standardized test scores this time. I sucked on SAT, and MCAT. I really thought that a 260+ would bring me some relief.

I am totally fine with my score. But just this morning 3 of my friends from my school got 260's and one got a 269! we all have had similar test scores on exams and have similar knowledge base etc.

In the end TEST TAKING ABILITY IS A HUGE PART OF THIS TEST! people, if you can read fast and simultaneously process info, you can easily get 260+. Also, this test is about common sense too. I missed easy diagnosis because I overthought the scenario. To all the future test takers, manage time well, read fast, go with gut feeling ALWAYS.

I still believe that people who rock at reading comprehension can rock any standardize test be is SAT, MCAT, or Steps (in step I you need hard work and knowledge too to be in upper echelon). Anyways, read alot of books! (if a random highschooler is reading this - which would be kinda lame but still). I just wish English was my first language.

with all respect, screw those guys with the 260s. it doesn't matter. their scores are stellar, and so is yours. a 250 is beautiful. you've broken your old "mediocre" mold by doing way way above average. you'll get the same interviews as people with 260s and 270s. it's like you have some weird blinders on that prevent your ability to see how damn good a 250 is. maybe it's a congenital defect. 250-osis.

edit: I posted this before reading the previous 20 posts or so. i think it was pretty well sorted a few posts back. oh well. i'm gonna go make love to a marmoset now. you know how it is.

Last edited:
Reporting in... 248/99

I feel so inadequate with all the 250+s out there :p

Congrats to everyone out there... now time to get some sleep

I haven't taken mine yet - next tuesday i get part one of my freedom - but I have to hand it all of you - all you guys and gals are bunch of bad @$$ b!!tches when it comes to thing - your scores are downright nasty - I saw a couple of 271's thrown in there - i didn't even know people actually came that close to 300 - crazy - though these scores are highly irrepresentative of the general population, I can't help but feel you have raised the bar for what I want to do to this test considering SDN is really the extent of my social network during these last couple months....Good luck to you all in becoming the neuropsychohepatologists you aspire to be..
You don't find it odd that there were 2 271's posted within a few minutes of each other, both from new members with 4 posts each. Alt+prnt scrn or BS.

No, I don't. Your 32 got you in to med school after all, didn't it?

The whole point of these standardized tests is that they are a means to an end. Did you take Step 1 so that you could brag about being in a certain percentile, or did you take Step 1 so that you would be qualified to apply for your residency of choice? I doubt many program directors are going to throw out your residency application because of your measly 250.

Man, some people need a little perspective.
Have you people seriously never heard of personal goals and satisfaction? It isn't like he is crying himself to sleep, he is just a little disappointed.

You don't find it odd that there were 2 271's posted within a few minutes of each other, both from new members with 4 posts each. Alt+prnt scrn or BS.

Haha, gotta love the "long time lurker, first time poster" with 270+. I don't agree with everyone on here, but at least most people contribute something to the forum before pulling down their epants and flopping their epenis on the table.

Wow a lot of great scores. However I am really dissappointed with my score and can;t get over it. Especially after I scored a 236 ( nbme 3) and (227 NBME 5) I got a 213/88 and would like to know what my future holds. How do I figure out my percentile? Please help? i was looking to apply to IM....hmm I am really depressed. I need some advice

hey all,
just thought i'd drop back in now that scores have come back.

252/99 :thumbup:

congrats to everyone who passed this beast.

Have you people seriously never heard of personal goals and satisfaction? It isn't like he is crying himself to sleep, he is just a little disappointed.

I side with LadyWolverine on this one. Personal goals are one thing, but if you achieve a score that is leagues above the national average, a score that assures you numerous interviews at even the most competitive residency programs in the country, then it doesn't make sense to lament that score on a public board where countless people performed at or below your "disappointment". it's just gratuitous blah. sure, i'm sad that i didn't get a handjob from Natalie Portman today, maybe even a little disappointed, but you don't see me on NataliePortman.com complaining about it, do you (actually I may have done this, but that's beside the point)? wait, what was the point of this? oh yeah, don't complain about a 250! yes, there is a rule. I just made it up. you're not allowed to complain about a 250. there. now go forth and don't break the rules. oh, and don't go swimming until 30 minutes after you've eaten!

Last edited:
Wow a lot of great scores. However I am really dissappointed with my score and can;t get over it. Especially after I scored a 236 ( nbme 3) and (227 NBME 5) I got a 213/88 and would like to know what my future holds. How do I figure out my percentile? Please help? i was looking to apply to IM....hmm I am really depressed. I need some advice

IM is definitely still within your reach. The average for IM was 222 which isnt a whole heck of a lot away from your score. In terms of percentiles: prolly close to 40th percentile

10th percentile- 194
20th percentile- 203
30th percentile- 210
40th percentile- 216
50th percentile- 222
60th percentile- 227
65th percentile- 230
70th percentile- 233
75th percentile -237
80th percentile- 240
84th percentile- 244
88th percentile- 247
90th percentile- 250
93rd percentile- 254
95th percentile- 258
96th percentile- 260
97th percentile- 263
98th percentile- 267
98.7 percentile- 271
99th percentile- 273

Not to quote every post you have on this thread, but finally someone who can see both sides of the argument. It's all about perspective. People who are scoring in the 225-240 range would react differently to a 237 compared to a 227 but have the same initial reaction to any score between 250-265 (elation). People scoring in the 250-265 range react differently to a 262 compared to a 252 but would feel like any score in the 225-240 range is the same (depressed). Just perspective.

Seriously. I don't see anyone telling Tiger Woods to get a life when he's mad at himself for missing an eagle shot. Or yelling at a track athlete for losing a ncaa race even if he's still faster than 99.99% of people in the world. Some people compete against themselves to achieve their personal best. If you fall short of your best, it's understandable to feel disappointed, especially when you put in a ridiculous number of hours. Some people get pissed when they lose a pickup basketball game. Really... it's quite okay. If you're feelings get hurt over this kind of stuff, you probably shouldn't read this thread... this is SDN and you really ought to know better.

For perspective, in the 2005 NRMP Charting Outcomes document, I think I counted 5 TOTAL >270s.

For 2 of them to be posting on the board seems highly unlikely. Big grain of salt guys.

Man do I feel old!

For perspective, when I took Step 1 about 10 years ago, 235 was 90th percentile and 250 was 99th percentile. Times sure have changed!

first of all - everybody was checking their scores and posting them at around midnight yesterday, so for 2 posts of the same score to appear almost simultaneously is not unheard of.

secondly, i don't think that being a 1000+ poster makes anyone more reliable and trustworthy than a 4-poster. A pathologic lier is a pathologic lier no matter what.
My first post was my score even though I was reading the Step 1 forum on SDN throughout my prep. I never posted because (1) I knew i would spend more time posting and checking for responses, and less time preparing (2) I knew that I had nothing noteworthy to contribute since I hadn't taken the damn thing. And then when I got my score the first thing I did was post it, so that I could legitimize any advice I give.

So give the 271 guys a break - if anything, comments like this deter them from posting their experience and advice, which will benefit many SDNers.

Last edited: