Official 2008 Step 1 Score Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lipofuscin232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok since nobody has made one yet I figured I'd start it since scores should be posted in less than 5 min! Good luck everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

IM is definitely still within your reach. The average for IM was 222 which isnt a whole heck of a lot away from your score. In terms of percentiles: prolly close to 40th percentile

10th percentile- 194
20th percentile- 203
30th percentile- 210
40th percentile- 216
50th percentile- 222
60th percentile- 227
65th percentile- 230
70th percentile- 233
75th percentile -237
80th percentile- 240
84th percentile- 244
88th percentile- 247
90th percentile- 250
93rd percentile- 254
95th percentile- 258
96th percentile- 260
97th percentile- 263
98th percentile- 267
98.7 percentile- 271
99th percentile- 273
Did you just convert std dev and mean to percentiles?

Did you just convert std dev and mean to percentiles?

I kinda doubt the true distribution is a perfect Gaussian curve. There's gotta be some left skewing, heh.

Also, is there a significant difference between a 247 and a 254 in the eyes of a competitive residency program? (yes, i know, it's a stupid question. =P)

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the normal Gaussian distribution and the mean/Std to figure out all of those percentiles. I would bet the scores are a normal distribution.

They're actually not, that was the consensus last year. They're close, but not really. Take a look at Charting Outcomes in a big specialty like Internal Medicine. The curve drops off precipitously when you get to like 240.

Then look at something like Derm which is even more skewed to the right.
Even there you see that scores in fact do have a bit of drop off as they get higher.

I feel for internationaldoc. you guys all need to get off his back. people have their own personal goals.

They're actually not, that was the consensus last year. They're close, but not really. Take a look at Charting Outcomes in a big specialty like Internal Medicine. The curve drops off precipitously when you get to like 240.

Then look at something like Derm which is even more skewed to the right.
Even there you see that scores in fact do have a bit of drop off as they get higher.

Erm, maybe I'm looking at different data (2007 charting outcomes), but it seems like Derm skews to the left with internal slightly left.

congrats.. did you just keep trying to open oasis?

called up a buddy o' mine in the middle of his IM rounds, he checked my score for me then, ECFMG overnighted my score report.

nice of them, even though they were USELESS on the phone working out the Oasis bugs

I side with LadyWolverine on this one. Personal goals are one thing, but if you achieve a score that is leagues above the national average, a score that assures you numerous interviews at even the most competitive residency programs in the country, then it doesn't make sense to lament that score on a public board where countless people performed at or below your "disappointment". it's just gratuitous blah. sure, i'm sad that i didn't get a handjob from Natalie Portman today, maybe even a little disappointed, but you don't see me on NataliePortman.com complaining about it, do you (actually I may have done this, but that's beside the point)? wait, what was the point of this? oh yeah, don't complain about a 250! yes, there is a rule. I just made it up. you're not allowed to complain about a 250. there. now go forth and don't break the rules. oh, and don't go swimming until 30 minutes after you've eaten!
I do agree with you that expressing your disappointment on a board may not be the best thing, but I give everyone a day of stupidity after they get their score because most people aren't in the proper state of mind regardless of whether it is a good or bad score.

first of all - everybody was checking their scores and posting them at around midnight yesterday, so for 2 posts of the same score to appear almost simultaneously is not unheard of.

secondly, i don't think that being a 1000+ poster doesn't make anyone more reliable and trustworthy than a 4-poster. A pathologic lier is a pathologic lier no matter what.
My first post was my score even though I was reading the Step 1 forum on SDN throughout my prep. I never posted because (1) I knew i would spend more time posting and checking for responses, and less time preparing (2) I knew that I had nothing noteworthy to contribute since I hadn't taken the damn thing. And then when I got my score the first thing I did was post it, so that I could legitimize any advice I give.

So give the 271 guys a break - if anything, comments like this deter them from posting their experience and advice, which will benefit many SDNers.
I am not saying it is not true, just a little pessimistic all things considered.

They're actually not, that was the consensus last year. They're close, but not really.

You may be right because it seems surprising to me that over 150 people would score 273 or above. Regardless it gives people an idea of where they stand.

I do agree with you that expressing your disappointment on a board may not be the best thing, but I give everyone a day of stupidity after they get their score because most people aren't in the proper state of mind regardless of whether it is a good or bad score.

Fair enough. I'll concede the point.

244/99

I think my opinion and assessment of the test mirrors international docs. I was very disappointed in my score because I was consistently in the 80s in UWorld before I took the test.

I felt the new format disproportionately affected me - I was finishing my UW blocks with about 1-2 min left each and I needed about 3 minutes more to finish/be satisfied with my answers to each block on the real test... then between each block, I figured out 1-2 questions that I had to guess on due to lack of time (without looking at FA of course, didnt bring it to the test).

I walked out of the test very disappointed and I would have retaken it again the next day without hesitating. Of course, I would have been content with anything above 240, but it's disappointing to get a score that is not consistent with your performance on Uworld and the NBMEs.

Last edited:
congrats to everyone!

in the end personal goals are what will motivate us and get us through our long careers. having personal goals, pursuing them is admirable, but its always good to prepare yourself mentally for a wide range of possibilities. after i finished my test, i knew that even though i had performed well on practice exams, anything could happen. we dont have power over the score report so i was prepared to not blame myself for the result whatever it was. some of my friends who scored awesome 2-3 weeks out on practice tests and then got a similar score on the real deal felt that they "let themselves down" or "dropped the ball" because with that extra 2-3 weeks of studying they couldn't improve.

no need to blame yourself InternationlDoc...you are a very smart student who has achieved a lot. I have no doubt that you will continue to hone your skills and will achieve what u have been dreaming about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. I don't see anyone telling Tiger Woods to get a life when he's mad at himself for missing an eagle shot. Or yelling at a track athlete for losing a ncaa race even if he's still faster than 99.99% of people in the world. Some people compete against themselves to achieve their personal best. If you fall short of your best, it's understandable to feel disappointed, especially when you put in a ridiculous number of hours. Some people get pissed when they lose a pickup basketball game. Really... it's quite okay. If you're feelings get hurt over this kind of stuff, you probably shouldn't read this thread... this is SDN and you really ought to know better.

The question is does Tiger sit down at a table with a bunch of people who also missed that shot and had scores higher than his and complain about his own performance?

Not saying that Tiger should feel "good" just because he did better than everyone else, but to those three other people he's [imaginarily] sitting with discussing the round of golf in this example - well they feel worse about themselves even if they achieved personal bests.

244/99

I felt the new format disproportionately affected me - I was finishing my UW blocks with about 1-2 min left each and I needed about 3 minutes more to finish/be satisfied with my answers to each block on the real test...

Can you explain what you mean by "new format"? Was the UW interface very different from the real thing?

267/99

NBME scores reported in USMLE 3 digit format:
NBME form 1 (after 2 of 6 weeks studying): 244
NBME form 2 (after 3.5 of 6 weeks studying): 252
NBME form 4 (after 5 of 6 week studying): 265+ [800 on form]
NBME form 3 (after 5.5 of 6 weeks studying): 259

150 question test given at Prometric: 93% correct

Kaplan Qbank Overall (50 subject specific question and 50 random questions per day): 79% correct, 100% completed

Secret to success: took a half day on Fridays and went out to dinner/got a drink

What I would change if I did it all over again: nothing. I don't regret using Qbank vs. USMLE World, I don't think Goljan is that helpful (I listened to most of his lectures during my lunch breaks but didn't read his book).

Total study time: 6 weeks, 9am to 12am every day except Fridays it was 9 to 4pm.

This test isn't a test where your scores are predetermined before you even sit down (e.g. SATs and aspects of the MCAT). If you study hard your first two years and fully commit to engorging yourself with the boards mentality you can, and will, do well on this test. People say the first two years don't matter, but they really set you up to excel on step 1. 2nd year is most important (neuro, path). Set a schedule, stick to it, and set limits, meaning get to bed every night at a decent hour and value your sleep and nutrition.

Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks for understanding tfom -

people i am not a psycho thinking 250 isn't great. Its a damn good score. but look, I got a 32 on MCAT and that was I believe 87th percentile. not a 37 which was 95th or something -- see the difference?

250 is good. its 90th but its not 260.

again, not being obnoxious, but as i mentioned before, no matter how much work I put in, my lack of quick comprehension from a paragraph written on any subject will always make me underachieve - for example the long patient cases. Try to understand that. Infact, I knew that would be the limiting factor and it was on the exam day. I didn't lie about my NBMEs but honestly, all of them had short stems nothing like my exam with multilple lab values etc. Step 1 is becoming more of a comprehension - as in reading a paragraph and then narrowing down diagnoses. I'll hopefully become good at this.

You should have done Qbank-- talk about long, obnoxious, and sometimes irrelevant question stems. If you could get through a 50 question set of Qbank with time to spare, there is no way you would have had trouble on test day.

Can you explain what you mean by "new format"? Was the UW interface very different from the real thing?

The user interface of USMLE World is the exact same as the real test. The new format is 7 sections of 48 questions, versus the 50 question per section format of before. There are also now "media clips" which recently have inlcluded the APTM auscultation points on a chest figure, overwhich you click and listen to the different heart sounds. Mine had the loudest blowing murmur I've ever heard over the mitral valve so clearly mitral regurg was the answer (as an example).

........Total study time: 6 weeks, 9am to 12am every day except Fridays it was 9 to 4pm.............
wow, you really studied FIFTEEN hours a day? :eek: (except Fridays)

talk about stamina/endurance...... no wonder you got such a high score.

Congratz to you.

Thanks for the words of encouragement UditNarayyan (actually, you really like his singing; your screenname?). SeventhSon, I had the same feeling leaving. I knew I underperformed. But you know its all fair. Again I repeat this, but really my test had longer questions, but not necessarily hard questions. It just required me to read fast and process it fast (the labs, the fluff etc). Trust me, the dude in my class with 269 scored lower than me on practice NBMEs, but I know he is a superior test taker. Thats where it came into play and he had the higher score.

As Doctors we are supposed to be very good in reading comprehension (research studies, complicated Hx on charts whatever) and are constantly time limited. All i am emphasizing is that even though what Ivy83 says is true, that you can bust your ass and study for this test, I really believe that a 260+ score requires superior test taking skills + reading speed + a general reading comprehension etc <-- I do not possess great reading comprehension (I had a verbal score of 9) and am a very slow reader. Reading comprehension + knowledge base (your M1, M2 years) + decent speed reading = 260+

I am not an IMG, but am an international Student studying in the US. I'd imagine that many IMGs/FMGs get excellent board scores, but I bet that almost all the high 260's and 270's are the US graduates --- why? think about it.

Last edited:
As Doctors we are supposed to be very good in reading comprehension (research studies, complicated Hx on charts whatever) and are constantly time limited. All i am emphasizing is that even though what Ivy83 says is true, that you can bust your ass and study for this test, I really believe that a 260+ score requires superior test taking skills + reading speed + a general reading comprehension etc <-- I do not possess great reading comprehension (I had a verbal score of 9) and am a very slow reader. Reading comprehension + knowledge base (your M1, M2 years) + decent speed reading = 260+

I am not an IMG, but am an international Student studying in the US. I'd imagine that many IMGs/FMGs get excellent board scores, but I bet that almost all the high 260's and 270's are the US graduates --- why? think about it.

I got a verbal score of 8 bud (granted I did well on the other sections) Step 1 doesnt take exceptional reading comprehension but rather exposure to a large number of questions and excellent pattern recognition. All of these vignettes follow a pattern leading you to the Dx. You know you're getting the material down when you read the stems and know the answer before you even look at the answers. 2250 (QBank) + 800 (4 NBMEs) + 150 (test ctr) + 200 (BRS ?'s) = 3500 practice questions in 6 weeks on top of 50 flash cards before bed each night. After that, if you dont feel like a well oiled machine going into the test then you may never be prepared. This is what it takes

I got a verbal score of 8 bud (granted I did well on the other sections) Step 1 doesnt take exceptional reading comprehension but rather exposure to a large number of questions and excellent pattern recognition. All of these vignettes follow a pattern leading you to the Dx. You know you're getting the material down when you read the stems and know the answer before you even look at the answers. 2250 (QBank) + 800 (4 NBMEs) + 150 (test ctr) + 200 (BRS ?'s) = 3500 practice questions in 6 weeks on top of 50 flash cards before bed each night. After that, if you dont feel like a well oiled machine going into the test then you may never be prepared. This is what it takes

I agree with Ivy. You dont need superior reading/comprehension ability...I don't, I definitely don't. I am also a slow testtaker but with enough practice you will be able to refine your test taking skills and will develop a broad content base (do the questions timed, random and take them seriously, don't just click away without thinking because on the real deal you will get more nervous and probably end up psyching yourself out). You don't need superhuman skills to get the score you want, but you do need to pay good attention to your MS 1 and 2 classes and then have a serious plan for your full time review.

The question is does Tiger sit down at a table with a bunch of people who also missed that shot and had scores higher than his and complain about his own performance?

You've never seen Tiger / Jordan / Kobe etc go on National TV and complain about how pissed off they are because they scored 40 points in a losing effort? You don't think Lance Armstrong wouldn't moan for a day or two if he placed 2nd in the tour?

Let's stop pretending half of the people on here giving internationaldoc a hard time didn't come here for the sole purpose of bragging about their 250 scores to feel good about themselves (at the expense of many lurkers with lesser scores). And that's okay. It's human nature. So is internationaldoc's response.

I don't believe that the majority people come here to brag about their scores to make themselves feel good. Most of us (myself included) post scores and study strategies because we 1) are excited that this phase of our training (suffering) is over, and we want to share our excitement, and 2) want to leave behind some information that, hopefully, the next generation of Step 1 takers will find useful. I know that I, for one, benefitted immensely from reading about the study strategies of past test-takers.

It is never acceptable to brag, or to belittle someone else's performance. But the vast majority of posts on these "Step 1 results" threads consist of nothing more than excited students sharing their results in a very civil and non-boastful manner.

As for disappointment with performance/percentiles, I still stand by what I said in my previous post. I care much less about my percentile on a test than I do about reaching my ultimate career goals. Thus, I cannot understand why someone would be disappointed in themselves for performance on a particular milestone if it really doesn't affect the outcome in the long-term.

Last edited:
I am sure someone answered this, but what does the two digit score mean?

Not much. Some state licensing boards have a rule on the book about having a "two digit" score for passing vs. the more common three digit passing score so NBME just goes ahead and gives you a "two digit" form of your score. Last year a high 230 was enough to get a "99" two digit score and everything above that was gravy.

It is absolutely NOT a %.

I don't believe that the majority people come here to brag about their scores to make themselves feel good. Most of us (myself included) post scores and study strategies because we 1) are excited that this phase of our training (suffering) is over, and we want to share our excitement, and 2) want to leave behind some information that, hopefully, the next generation of Step 1 takers will find useful. I know that I, for one, benefitted immensely from reading about the study strategies of past test-takers.

I'm not talking about sdn but rather this thread, which is specifically designed as a "yay my hard work paid off!!" thread. If people were solely interested in giving advice, they would have stayed in the experiences thread. Notice how almost every score is above 240? This thread is nothing more than a circle jerk for the top 25% of step1 takers.

Like I said, that's perfectly okay. If anything it is probably much more polite and considerate the vent your happiness here than to do it in front of classmates who may have scored poorly.

Thanks for understanding tfom -

people i am not a psycho thinking 250 isn't great. Its a damn good score. but look, I got a 32 on MCAT and that was I believe 87th percentile. not a 37 which was 95th or something -- see the difference?

But what you're forgetting is that many people take the MCAT but don't score well enough to get into med school. I remember that it has kind of a bimodal distribution with a big hump at like 18 or something. You're competing against a much, much stronger pool of applicants for the Step 1. So getting a 222 means you're an average medical student - good for you! A 250 is 5 points higher than the mean for plastics, so good for you.

237/99 DO student

I'm the pretty laid back, light studying type. However, I'm very serious about doing an allopathic residency so I knew I had to do well on step 1. I started working on step 1 on January 1st, doing 50 Kaplan Qbank questions a day. This really helped get my knowledge base up. I did much, much better in my 2nd year classes than 1st year. Dr. Goljan is our pathology professor so that was an invaluable help. He also provided us with a biochem review. It was a printable pdf with lots of great graphs and charts, very easy to read and understand. Also, the previous year he had given a 12 hour biochem review, which was filmed and made available for download. I watched the review while riding down to Florida for Spring Break, and read through the hard copy of the review the 4 days prior to the test. Biochem was an admitted weakness for me before studying, but by the use of these materials I performed better on biochem than any other section. His Rapid Review biochem is very similar to what he created for us to print. I used FA mostly for micro and pharm and it was pretty helpful for the depth and breadth of the test. The last month of study I began using UW, which helped prepare me better for the test and question style than Kaplan and helped interconnect my thinking. I took the UW practice test 8 weeks out and scored 213 and NBME 3 6 weeks out with a 214.

My essential review materials:
FA (I'm not as big of a fan of it as most people, I need a little more of a story to my facts)
Rapid Review Path (Goljan)
Rapid Review Biochem (Goljan)
Rapid Review Laboratory Medicine (Goljan)
Usmle World
Kaplan Qbank

Dr. Goljan provided the biochem and the laboratory medicine source materials free of charge to his students at OSU.

Haha thanks...I'm a giant nerd at heart. While all your fathers were playing catch with you or showing you how to ride I bike, I was saving the world one princess at a time. Even if she was in another castle...

Happy to represent Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine:

USMLE- 246/99

COMLEX- 729/98

COMLEX was a bit more difficult than USMLE, and scores showed that slightly. Very pleased with scores. Now I can be an ungual plastic surgeron like I dreamed of when I was 35 wks gestation.

Congratulations everyone.

OUCOM 2010

Happy to represent Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine:

USMLE- 246/99

COMLEX- 729/98

COMLEX was a bit more difficult than USMLE, and scores showed that slightly. Very pleased with scores. Now I can be an ungual plastic surgeron like I dreamed of when I was 35 wks gestation.

Congratulations everyone.

OUCOM 2010

Actually if you calculate your COMLEX "percentile" it's higher than your USMLE "percentile." So in reality you did better on the COMLEX!

Don't be fooled by the 2-digit score.

Congrats on the scores.

USMLE: 232/97
COMLEX: 649/92

I'm not sure what to make of this. It seems I did much better on COMLEX, 93rd percentile vs. 67th percentile for the USMLE, if I'm doing my math correctly. I'm having a hard time believing that the tests were that dissimilar in difficulty, or that the disparity between the test taker pools was that large.

USMLE: 232/97
COMLEX: 649/92

I'm not sure what to make of this. It seems I did much better on COMLEX, 93rd percentile vs. 67th percentile for the USMLE, if I'm doing my math correctly. I'm having a hard time believing that the tests were that dissimilar in difficulty, or that the disparity between the test taker pools was that large.

It's not going to matter. Most allopathic PD's don't sit there and try to calculate your percentile grade to see where you stand. They'll look at your USMLE score and decide whether you get an interview. Some may even think you scored in the "97th percentile." Don't say anything. Just accept their compliment..:laugh:

I wouldn't send my COMLEX score if you're applying to allopathic programs. What for? To them it's going to look like you did worse on the COMLEX.

Actually if you calculate your COMLEX "percentile" it's higher than your USMLE "percentile." So in reality you did better on the COMLEX!

Don't be fooled by the 2-digit score.

Congrats on the scores.

Thank you for your comment, and for the congrats!

However, percentile does not reflect how well you did against the test itself. Percentile is how well you did against fellow test-takers; objective performance against the exam is different.

As detailed by both NBME and NBOME, the two-digit score, while not a percent (nor a percentile) is a number derived as a measure of one's objective performance against the exam itself. This is the number used by some institutions to see if objectively (again, against each test respectively), a candidate performs satisfactorily based on the standards of the exam.

On my exams, I did not do as well based on the COMLEX standard as I did against the USMLE standard, achieving 98 vs. 99, respectively. I merely mentioned this point above because to me the COMLEX was more challenging than the USMLE.

Minor point about scores, I know, but perhaps it's good to be clarified vis a vis the many questions people have posted on SDN regarding two-digit scores.

(Of course, I don't mean to deny that it's nice to have a higher percentile for residency application purposes, but I was referring to performance on the tests themselves, and as you mentioned above, directors will often look at your score without investigating percentile. All in all, it's splitting hairs, and I am grateful for both scores.)

Last edited:
I created a spread sheet through excel using the data from charting outcomes in the match 2007 and created the following percentiles for various scores of the 14,352 U.S. allopathic students in the match. This does not include do, fmg, img(lankysudanese says fmg img are the same, so if they are, sorry if my ignorance offends you..) and this doesnt account for retakers, those who didnt go into the match, those who didnt get ranked, etc.
<180=0-1.1%
181-190=1.1%-8%
191-200=8-18.8%
201-210=18.8-32.7%
211-220=32.7-48.8%
221-230=48.8-66.8%
231-240=66.8-82.3%
241-250=82.3-93.3%
251-260=93.3-98.5%
260+=98.5-100%
obviously, if you add in all the other variables/students not included in these numbers, it is very likely that the respective percentages would go up considering u.s. allopathic historically score higher. anyway, heres some idea of percentages based off real data, enjoy!

EDIT: i also got a 244/99, took nbme 6 about two weeks out and got 240, so its about what i was expecting/hoping for.

Last edited:
wow, so scores >265 are actually more like 99 percentile? thanks for your table!

I would say high 250's is probably 99th percentile after you add in all the other students not included in my table.

I studied for 4 weeks after my med school finals were over (more like 3.5 since the last few days I was starting to lose focus), Got absolutely NO sleep the night before, and got a 247. I couldn't be happier, especially since my standardized test scores have always been a cut below my GPA.

Thank you for your comment, and for the congrats!

However, percentile does not reflect how well you did against the test itself. Percentile is how well you did against fellow test-takers; objective performance against the exam is different.

As detailed by both NBME and NBOME, the two-digit score, while not a percent (nor a percentile) is a number derived as a measure of one's objective performance against the exam itself. This is the number used by some institutions to see if objectively (again, against each test respectively), a candidate performs satisfactorily based on the standards of the exam.

On my exams, I did not do as well based on the COMLEX standard as I did against the USMLE standard, achieving 98 vs. 99, respectively. I merely mentioned this point above because to me the COMLEX was more challenging than the USMLE.

Minor point about scores, I know, but perhaps it's good to be clarified vis a vis the many questions people have posted on SDN regarding two-digit scores.

(Of course, I don't mean to deny that it's nice to have a higher percentile for residency application purposes, but I was referring to performance on the tests themselves, and as you mentioned above, directors will often look at your score without investigating percentile. All in all, it's splitting hairs, and I am grateful for both scores.)

I don't think the two digit score can be used as a reference point to compare the COMLEX AND USMLE.

hey guys. is anyone else getting the "invalid document request" error when trying to open up your score report on the nbme website? i was able to see it earlier, but for the last 24-36 hours, i've been getting the error. any ideas?

hey guys. is anyone else getting the "invalid document request" error when trying to open up your score report on the nbme website? i was able to see it earlier, but for the last 24-36 hours, i've been getting the error. any ideas?
I'm getting that too.

Check again tomorrow. NBME was conducting some sort of maintenance/update on their website as of last Friday night thru Saturday... my guess is the error you are seeing is related to that. Just wait a little and it ought to be resolved.

Performance profile and results:
UW self-assessment (11 days out): 232
NBME 3 (5 days out): 242
NBME 6 (2 days out): 248
UW Qbank (50% completed): 69% correct cumulative, random timed mode only
Kaplan Qbank (33% completed): 68% correct cumulative, random timed mode only
Step 1 results (June 08): >= 250 :D

I am extremely happy with my results. My original goal was 230+, then I sorta started to look at 240 as a goal... Needless to say I am stoked

--------
(Edit P.S.: My MCAT was by no means stellar. Had an 8 in VR, which supposedly predicts Step 1. So much for that.)

Last edited: