Official 2010 Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody have thoughts on two these programs? location (for a single girl), lifestyle/how hard they work, fellowship placement, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Seemed like you didn't like the people at a lot of the programs you visited...interesting.

I would rank this list quite differently, but I guess that's why I think it's pointless for people to post their rank lists here and ask others to put them in their order. It makes no sense.

Oh well, good luck this year everyone! I know this is an exciting time of year for you all.

-Chef

The point is perspective. Ordering these places without reason is completely useless. They're all equally amazing. But giving reasons is what helps people. The order just makes it interesting.

Hey stimmed, did you mean killer in a good way or bad way for BWH?

Bad! It seems they're there past 7 most days! Yikes.

Very nice to hear a different applicant's perspective! Thanks for posting! Sometimes I feel that I actually learn a lot about programs from the people I met on the interview trail..:)

Just out of curiosity - since you will be going west, why didn't you interview at UCSF / Stanford? I thought that these two might have been the top of your list based on their geographic location...

Couples match.

anybody have thoughts on two these programs? location (for a single girl), lifestyle/how hard they work, fellowship placement, etc.

Don't know much about the programs, but Atlanta is a way better city than St Louis imo

Members don't see this ad :)
One last one, thanks guys. Not too concerned about location.

Oregon Health Sciences University
University of Washington
Virginia Mason
Wake Forest
Dartmouth
University of Chicago
University of Utah

University of Washington
Virginia Mason
Wake Forest
Dartmouth
University of Chicago
University of Utah

Know a few of the programs (away rotation/ interviews), can comment on some.

1. OHSU (rotated/interviewed here, solid/strong program, every rotation in house, no outsourcing, huge facility, you ride a ski tram up the hill Q AM ;), residents happy)
2. Utah vs. Virginia Mason (word of mouth, #1 on many other list)
3. U of Chicago vs. UW vs Wake vs. Dartmouth (location will play a big factor here, Seattle/Chicago are great cities to live in)

All are great programs, if location is not your preference, would call up/email residents on quality of life. Good luck!

Last edited:
This is for all the MS4s as a resident who knows some ill things from old friends. Take it or leave it. Just consider it a warning. Look into it and see how much it matters to you. Medical students interested in anesthesia should go to programs that support them, not ruin the residency life and career.

I'll keep it general. 2 are in Chicago.

This is for all the MS4s as a resident who knows some ill things from old friends. Take it or leave it. Just consider it a warning. Look into it and see how much it matters to you. Medical students interested in anesthesia should go to programs that support them, not ruin the residency life and career.

This is not very helpful. You're an anonymous poster, you might as well name the programs and tell us what you're referring to. Otherwise, this isn't helpful at all.

This is not very helpful. You're an anonymous poster, you might as well name the programs and tell us what you're referring to. Otherwise, this isn't helpful at all.

Agreed. Completely worthless. Kinda like me responding to pad my posts! :D

However AnesthesiaOn, thanks for stirring the turd during a time of high anxiety for us MS4's. :scared::rolleyes:

PM me if you want. Stirring your brain til March 15th is better than issues later per the accounts I've heard. It's important. These programs behind the scenes can F#&* you. Interview days are putting on a game. Did you ask about the 3 year grad rate? If it's not 100, then why? Think all programs should be required to publish this per ACGME. There's your clue.

Agreed. Completely worthless. Kinda like me responding to pad my posts! :D

However AnesthesiaOn, thanks for stirring the turd during a time of high anxiety for us MS4's. :scared::rolleyes:

Last edited:
i'm having trouble deciding between these 3, utsw, rush, st lukes. any help is appreciated. Im leaning towards utsw and rush.

University of Washington
Virginia Mason
Wake Forest
Dartmouth
University of Chicago
University of Utah

OHSU imo is the best program on this list - in terms of reputation, resident happiness - maybe not so much location compared to chicago and seattle

any thoughts on this list would be greatly appreciated....

Arizona
New Mexico
Mt Sinai
St Lukes/Roosevelt
Cornell
NYU
Pitt
Ohio State
Cincinnati
UIC
Rush
Maryland

my list for better or worse, location not an issue, interested in your thoughts.

dartmouth
mgh
u colorado
ucla
ucsf
stanford
ohsu
uw (seattle)
virginia mason

post not edited for spelling...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad! It seems they're there past 7 most days! Yikes. QUOTE]

I'm at the Brigham. We work hard, but we are definitely not in the hospital after 6pm most non-call days (including seeing preops for the next day). There are some residents on "pod-late" shifts that get to come in late (11am) with the understanding that they'll take care of cases that start in the afternoon/evening and help the non-call residents get out at the end of the day. Gotta love the rumor mill. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Wow, all you people with your amazing lists. Could someone help a regular person with a non-prestigious list? Thanks!

Maine
Baystate
St luke's
Tufts
St Elizabeth's
U Rochester
Metrohealth
UH/Case
West Penn

Yeah my list isnt as great as you guys.....but any help appreciated

Brigham
SUNY Downstate
Maimonides
VCU
Drexel
Penn State
UCLA-Harbor

Brigham will be my #1...any other advice? From NY area so thinking downstate will be up there but any input is appreciated.

Just my 2 cents...but Mayo (Roch) has a great cardiac program.

High volume surgical caseload with varying degrees of acuity (some surgeons operate on patients who've been turned down elsewhere). Straight forward CABGs to robotic valves to LVADs & transplants. Only 3 fellows (1 is always on TEE) a year so many cases it's just the resident and the staff. ~20 cardiac anesthesiologists who are willing to teach. Opportunity to complete up to 6 months in CV as a resident (not including Thoracic)- 4 in the OR, 1 supervisory role (run 2 rooms with staff), and 1 TEE. Separate didactic program in place for CV rotation. Latest technology use with TEG capability in the OR stat lab, 3D TEE for all mitrals, transfusion algorithm.

Currently a resident here so of course I'm biased but there are a wealth of learning opportunities for those interested in cardiac anesthesia!!!

Hey guys, here are my places. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have heard recently that Penn State is malignant. Has anybody heard something similar?

In no particular order:

St Luke's Roosevelt
University of Kentucky
Henry Ford
Penn State
Maimonides
VCU
University Hospitals Case Western
WVU

THANKS!!!

High volume surgical caseload with varying degrees of acuity (some surgeons operate on patients who've been turned down elsewhere). Straight forward CABGs to robotic valves to LVADs & transplants. Only 3 fellows (1 is always on TEE) a year so many cases it's just the resident and the staff. ~20 cardiac anesthesiologists who are willing to teach. Opportunity to complete up to 6 months in CV as a resident (not including Thoracic)- 4 in the OR, 1 supervisory role (run 2 rooms with staff), and 1 TEE. Separate didactic program in place for CV rotation. Latest technology use with TEG capability in the OR stat lab, 3D TEE for all mitrals, transfusion algorithm.

Currently a resident here so of course I'm biased but there are a wealth of learning opportunities for those interested in cardiac anesthesia!!!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the info! Quick question - do the cardiac anesthesiologists / residents perform the TEE during these cases? Or do the cardiologists come in for that?

I would really appreciate thoughts/comments on the following anesthesia programs:

OHSU
Yale
WashU
Stanford
UCSF
Brigham
MGH

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
Like others on this forum, I am facing what seems like an impossible decision. Just wanted to get people's opinions on these three programs, location notwithstanding. Interested what perceptions are of national reputation, quality of training, etc. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info! Quick question - do the cardiac anesthesiologists / residents perform the TEE during these cases? Or do the cardiologists come in for that?

Seriously? I had never heard of cardiologists coming in JUST to do the Echo but I guess things are done differently everywhere. Sounds weird.

Wow, all you people with your amazing lists. Could someone help a regular person with a non-prestigious list? Thanks!
Maine
Baystate
St luke's
Tufts
St Elizabeth's
U Rochester
Metrohealth
UH/Case
West Penn

I happen to think University of Rochester is one of the country's top programs; it's rep suffers from what folks think is a bad location. They do a bunch of transplants and the residents seemed to be treated well - there's a preponderance of anesthesiology residents in the city's kickball league. The thing that bothered me a little there was the Chairman - who seems to be wonderful - admits he's not in there for the long haul, and is actively looking to retire. I have a friend there that is very happy. I think Scutwork.com just had a resident post an overall favorable but honest review.

St. Luke's seems to be a hot ticket; I know nothing about the program but the folks from my medical school that matched there seem happy.

Maine, I think, might be a gem if you are not looking to be a Chairman some day; it doen't seem to have the name to give a robust pedigree, if you're into that sort of thing. I did not interview there, but the folks from my class that interviewed there were impressed. And we have a slick attending that trained there, if he can be used as a measuring stick for the program.

I'd keep those three high on my list if I were you; I think you've got a pretty nice list, by the way.

dc

Any thoughts on UW and Virginia Mason? I liked Seattle but I'm not sure how highly I should rank these programs compared with other top-tier residencies.

Like others on this forum, I am facing what seems like an impossible decision. Just wanted to get people's opinions on these three programs, location notwithstanding. Interested what perceptions are of national reputation, quality of training, etc. Thanks in advance.

For reputation, Duke may have a slight edge over OHSU/Michigan.

However, OHSU would me be my #1.

Last edited:

Maine
Baystate
St luke's
Tufts
St Elizabeth's
U Rochester
Metrohealth
UH/Case
West Penn

Dan's advice is right on. Interviewed at some above.

St. Lukes vs. Maine vs U Roch would be my top 3

Maine was my personal favorite last year (can see myself with the people up there + childhood trips at Acadia National Park). Have a friend at U Roch, loving it up there. Solid. Location not as good as NYC or Portland but close to canada/niagra.

Hey guys, here are my places. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have heard recently that Penn State is malignant. Has anybody heard something similar?

In no particular order:

St Luke's Roosevelt
University of Kentucky
Henry Ford
Penn State
Maimonides
VCU
University Hospitals Case Western
WVU

THANKS!!!

1. St Lukes vs. VCU
2. U of Kentucky (met PD + his kids at a hotel in New Mexico during my UNM interview, very nice down to earth guy)
3. Case UH vs. Penn State

any thoughts on this list would be greatly appreciated....

Arizona
New Mexico
Mt Sinai
St Lukes/Roosevelt
Cornell
NYU
Pitt
Ohio State
Cincinnati
UIC
Rush
Maryland

Interviewed in the Mountain/SW last year, they were some of my favorite programs/location. Your list is going to hard to rank....

1. UPMC vs. NYU vs. Sinai vs. Cornell (all offer great training, Pitt is probably more well rounded, I could be wrong... Pitt's Critical Care is awesome, bigD can help you on this) For me: NYU slightly>UPMC>Sinai>Cornell. Hard choice here. If you're out-going urban single, NYC/Pitt over Arizona/New Mexico
2. Arizona (good impression last year) vs. UNM (one of the friendliest/best faculty/staff/interview experience/ can ski at the near by moutain) Something about the southwest...really pretty, gorgeous color...full of interesting cultures...enchanting... UNM's residents seem happier. Both 40-50% married?? UNM residents bought kids to dinner. - that was my impression last year.
3. Chicago programs vs. Ohio programs vs Maryland.

Wow, thanks guys. So Case UH and Penn State are not of the same caliber as Rochester/St Luke's/Maine?

Wow, thanks guys. So Case UH and Penn State are not of the same caliber as Rochester/St Luke's/Maine?

Hello Ship, not "caliber" per se...but other multiple "soft" factors. This is coming from ONE RESIDENT'S PERSPECTIVE. Did not apply/interview at Penn State. But went to check out case/slr/maine. Good friend at Roch. Good luck. I would really look into "location". SLR probably have the best location out of the whole bunch.

Hello Ship, not "caliber" per se...but other multiple "soft" factors. This is coming from ONE RESIDENT'S PERSPECTIVE. Did not apply/interview at Penn State. But went to check out case/slr/maine. Good friend at Roch. Good luck. I would really look into "location". SLR probably have the best location out of the whole bunch.

Agree w/lfe's message here.

YOU have to form your own perspective, based on those "soft" factors. Your list is good enough so that you can (generally) rest assured of a good to great education in anesthesiology. So what else do you want BESIDES that training? Family? Sun? Got a wife/hubby to make happy? I'd factor those in heavily if I were you.

...as a former Upstate NYer, I would happen to put Rochester as best location, although Pittsburgh is growing on me FAST ;)

dc

Interviewed in the Mountain/SW last year, they were some of my favorite programs/location. Your list is going to hard to rank....

1. UPMC vs. NYU vs. Sinai vs. Cornell (all offer great training, Pitt is probably more well rounded, I could be wrong... Pitt's Critical Care is awesome, bigD can help you on this) For me: NYU slightly>UPMC>Sinai>Cornell. Hard choice here. If you're out-going urban single, NYC/Pitt over Arizona/New Mexico
2. Arizona (good impression last year) vs. UNM (one of the friendliest/best faculty/staff/interview experience/ can ski at the near by moutain) Something about the southwest...really pretty, gorgeous color...full of interesting cultures...enchanting... UNM's residents seem happier. Both 40-50% married?? UNM residents bought kids to dinner. - that was my impression last year.
3. Chicago programs vs. Ohio programs vs Maryland.

I will think hard on all you have said-

Good question! Many of the anesthesiologists are able to perform Echo but only a few "officially read" the TEE. Generally, a Mayo cardiologist performs the pre- and post-bypass TEE and completes an official read placed in the chart. While on TEE as a resident you learn from the cardiologists here at Mayo (tops in the Echo world) and you can obtain images and views as the in-room resident at any time! At first, I wondered why the cardiologists came down for the official read but then I understood that these guys provide pre-surgical care and see them after they have been surgically palliated.

FlacoFlo,
So a Cardiologist comes to the OR during the case to 'officially read' the Echo? Sorry if I seem confused...I just did a month-long Cardiac anesthesia rotation at my school and here the residents/fellows do the TEE while the Cardiac attending reads the Echo (and teaches us). While my home program is an academic powerhouse in its own right, it's certainly not of the caliber of Mayo, just different styles I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Some private practices have cardiology read the echo despite the presence of experienced CT anesthesia traied attendings. I think it all depends on local custom.

FlacoFlo,
So a Cardiologist comes to the OR during the case to 'officially read' the Echo? Sorry if I seem confused...I just did a month-long Cardiac anesthesia rotation at my school and here the residents/fellows do the TEE while the Cardiac attending reads the Echo (and teaches us). While my home program is an academic powerhouse in its own right, it's certainly not of the caliber of Mayo, just different styles I guess.

FlacoFlo,

Sdp,
Yes a Cardiologist is present in the OR to officially read the TEE. Our cardiac attendings are all adept at interpreting the TEE and obtaining all standard views. It's likely political, but from the resident perspective we get the opportunity to learn from the cardiac anesthesiologists & the cardiologists. Therefore, the cardiac anesthesia fellows and residents come away with a firm understanding of perioperative TEE!

No problem, happy to answer your questions! I remember what it's like to be in medical school and evaluating potential residency programs!!!

any thoughts on the some programs in texas?

utsw
ut houston
baylor
utmb
san antonio

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this as well.

Southwestern seems to have well rounded clinical experiences. Their intern year looks painful and I've heard mixed things about the moral of the residents.

Houston has excellent resources but the residents seem worked to death. The people were very friendly but students from the school have mentioned to me that the departments looking to move toward move academically oriented residents. I feel like if you trained there you could handle anything when you left.

Baylor seemed financial unstable, without moonlighting and the residents pay ~$150/mo in parking. Texas Heart Institute and Texas Childrens are pretty awesome. The people seemed really nice.

UTMB seems great, people are happy, but they look like they lack in transplants and trauma. Shriner's is on the way back and the residents say the teaching is incredible. Many people say this is the best program in Texas. Intern year seems like the best thing since sliced bread. Biggest con is Galveston.

San Antonio had really great people, with an awesome chair, but nothing really stood out about the clinical experience they offered. I feel like this program is up and coming with a lot of potential.

Scott & White has great people with exceptional regional, and great moonlighting. If you like Temple, TX, this program would be great for you. One of the guys there was either the old chair or PD at UTSW.

Someone else chime in...

from looking around i did see a thread from 2 years ago that houston's ITE board pass rate for their CA 3's was 60% or something which was shockingly low....i don't know how things are now but i don't remember this being mentioned as a problem when i interviewed there...theres great moonlighting opportunities but i keep hearing that their residents get killed there (not necessarily in terms of # of calls but long long days)...

i also saw some threads saying that utsw intern year wasnt too bad...but when i interviewed there, interns admitted that they worked pretty hard...then again its intern year...

i thought that baylor seemed to have a solid program with a strong emphasis on academics...but they have an interim chair and thanks for reminding me about the ridiculous parking...

utmb i had heard was the best program in texas....at least it was before the hurricane rocked galvesteon....seemed like moral was highest there...however they seem to be lacking trauma...

san antonio seemed to be solid all around...think they are really targeting top applicants and trying to make a move up...i agree it could be the darkhorse...

scott and white has great clinical experiences but don't like the fact that its in temple...but thats my personal preference...

hello again,

just wanted to repost and see if anyone has thoughts on the following programs. I know that some of these have already been discussed on the thread, but i'm having trouble finalizing my list.

1. OHSU vs. Brigham
2. MGH vs. UCSF vs. Stanford
3. Yale vs. WashU

Any thoughts on things to consider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
1. cornell vs columbia vs nyu
2. upenn
3. georgetown
4. UIC vs UT houston vs St Lukes*** need help here esp
5. Jefferson vs Yale vs Maryland

my list for better or worse, location not an issue, interested in your thoughts.

dartmouth
mgh
u colorado
ucla
ucsf
stanford
ohsu
uw (seattle)
virginia mason

post not edited for spelling...

hey smelly :)

looks like no one offered their thoughts so I thought Id chime in for ya...

1. MGH
2. Stanford
3. UCSF
4. OHSU
5. Virginia Mason
6. Colorado
7. Darthmouth
8. UCLA
9. U of Wash

IMO the Top 5 on this list would be very difficult to separate, they are all awesome programs. Just my two cents....good luck!

any thoughts on the some programs in texas?

utsw
ut houston
baylor
utmb
san antonio

didn't apply to many Texas programs but many in my class ended up in the big cowboyland.

UTMB-Galvy (only Tex place I applied and canceled interview 2nd to hurricane...sad...I really wanted to check this place out) Great past reviews. You can catch last minute cruises here on weekends but ocean water is brown. Scott and White = hot ticket among my "MARRIED" classmates last year. probably the best resident life. UTSW = residents work very very very hard, great training. Maybe our texan residents can chimed in. UT-houston - some "surgery residency" problem couple of years ago??? did that cleared up? San Antonio is awesome, know a vascular surgeon there, used to be my medical student surg advisor - he did his cases in cowboy boots :)

Last edited:

1. MGH
2. Stanford
3. UCSF
4. OHSU
5. Virginia Mason
6. Colorado
7. Darthmouth
8. UCLA
9. U of Wash

IMO the Top 5 on this list would be very difficult to separate, they are all awesome programs. Just my two cents....good luck!

agreed here, TOP 6 is easily number one on many lists.

1. OHSU wins (location/resident life/personal biased)
2. MGH vs. UCSF
3. Colorado vs. Stanford vs. Virginia Mason
4. UW vs UCLA
5. Darthmouth

1. cornell vs columbia vs nyu
2. upenn
3. georgetown
4. UIC vs UT houston vs St Lukes*** need help here esp
5. Jefferson vs Yale vs Maryland

1. NYU=Columbia > cornell
2. Upenn
3. GTown
4. St Lukes=UIC > Houston
5. Jefferson=Yale > Maryland

1. MGH
2. Stanford
3. UCSF
4. OHSU
5. Virginia Mason
6. Colorado
7. Darthmouth
8. UCLA
9. U of Wash

I have run into the difficult task of trying to separate out the top 5. So if I may ask what was your reasoning for the order you picked? Why MGH over Stanford, ect...

I have my own thoughts and opinions after interviewing but it is interesting to see other perspectives.

Thank you again for your reply.

PM me if you want. Stirring your brain til March 15th is better than issues later per the accounts I've heard. It's important. These programs behind the scenes can F#&* you. Interview days are putting on a game. Did you ask about the 3 year grad rate? If it's not 100, then why? Think all programs should be required to publish this per ACGME. There's your clue.

Did anyone find out which Chicago programs this poster was talking about?

I can't seem to make a decision on my top few choices ... please help!

NYU, Brigham, Yale, Baylor, UMich, Cornell, Mt Sinai

I prefer to live in New York, but if the other programs are better I am open to moving anywhere. I wasn't too crazy about Cornell and Sinai after interviews ... do they deserve a chance? If anyone has any info/opinions on NYU, I'd love to hear them because I don't remember too much from my interview day there.

Thanks!

1. MGH
2. Stanford
3. UCSF
4. OHSU
5. Virginia Mason
6. Colorado
7. Darthmouth
8. UCLA
9. U of Wash

Wow, i certainly did not have a good vibe at UCLA, but its hard to imagine them being below UVM, Colorado, and Dartmouth on the list. And I would pick Stanford over MGH any day. Although my #1 on the list would be OHSU.