Official 2010 Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't seem to make a decision on my top few choices ... please help!

NYU, Brigham, Yale, Baylor, UMich, Cornell, Mt Sinai

I prefer to live in New York, but if the other programs are better I am open to moving anywhere. I wasn't too crazy about Cornell and Sinai after interviews ... do they deserve a chance? If anyone has any info/opinions on NYU, I'd love to hear them because I don't remember too much from my interview day there.

Thanks!

Interviewed at all except Baylor. My personal favorite of all these is UMich for sure - the best chair, fantastic reputation, beautiful facilities (the atrium!), great schedule, nice people, beautiful town.

Having said that, there's no reason for you to give up NYC! My favorite NYC was Cornell by far. Awesome facilities (east river view!), great residents, great chair/PD's, great housing, great part of town. Schedule's harder than Mt Sinai but beats Brigham's. Mt Sinai was a great program with the BEST resident advocacy if that's what you're after. Didn't like the part of town or facilities as much as Cornell. Close call though between those two. NYU is one of the great 4 programs in NYC so it's great too. In fact, it's probably the most well-rounded with no major weakness. Didn't like the facilities too much. Reputation's a very tiny bit lower than the other 3 of NYC but great nonetheless. Didn't like the leadership (PD needs to cut his hair or at least stop fiddling with it - very distracting! =). Anyway, nitpicking. B&W's harvard so if you value that above all else go there. But there's no reason program-wise to give up NYC for the others on your list.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is one of the great 4 programs in NYC so it's great too. In fact, it's probably the most well-rounded with no major weakness. Didn't like the facilities too much. Reputation's a very tiny bit lower than the other 3 of NYC but great nonetheless. Didn't like the leadership (PD needs to cut his hair or at least stop fiddling with it - very distracting! =).

I also feel that NYU is the most well-rounded program in NYC. The residents I talk to are incredibly happy and seem very down to earth to me. I didn't really pay much attention to the PD (or his hair for that matter), but I think he is very confident in what he does so I personally won't hold the hair issue against NYU.

In fact, I like NYU the most but then again, I have to agree that NYU's reputation is a little lower than other institutions. Nevertheless, they are able to send people to do peds fellowship in Boston or CHOP. Just my $0.02

I also feel that NYU is the most well-rounded program in NYC. The residents I talk to are incredibly happy and seem very down to earth to me. I didn't really pay much attention to the PD (or his hair for that matter), but I think he is very confident in what he does so I personally won't hold the hair issue against NYU.

In fact, I like NYU the most but then again, I have to agree that NYU's reputation is a little lower than other institutions. Nevertheless, they are able to send people to do peds fellowship in Boston or CHOP. Just my $0.02

Don't underestimate the hair, man. Deal breaker for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts on how to rank these:

1. OHSU
2. Wash U
3. Washington Seattle
4. Umich
5. Brigham
6. Columbia
7. Maryland
8. USC
9. Loma Linda
10. Irvine
11. Iowa
12. NYU

Thanks for your opinions!

Hi all, I hope everyone has made or is making their final decisions with some ease. As for myself, I have a dilemma I was hoping to get some advice or input for. I have a high priority to stay in the North Jersey/NYC area. North Jersey > NYC in preference. However, I also want the best possible training out of these options.

This is the list with preference to location.

1. UMDNJ - Newark
2. St. Barnabas
3. St. Joe's
4. SUNY down
5. Westchester
6. Penn State

Anyone to chime in on how to arrange this and still keep up program strength? Thanks all for your help and good luck in the coming week!

Don't underestimate the hair, man. Deal breaker for sure.

:laugh:

well...even the PD at Columbia didn't bother me that much, see? I'm very tolerant to lots of things. My philosophy is that you can be either incompetent or mean...just not both.

:laugh:

well...even the PD at Columbia didn't bother me that much, see? I'm very tolerant to lots of things. My philosophy is that you can be either incompetent or mean...just not both.

In that case, you may find residency is a trying time for you...

Motodroid, awesome list man! A lot of your list seems to depend on geography, do you want to live in the Midwest, Southwest, Northwest, Northeast? But still some stand above the rest in terms of quality of training, especially your top 7. I'm partial to the Cali schools cause I'm from here so based on geography I would've put them higher but in terms of training they don't compare to the rest. I had a previous post that my help. I don't know much about Iowa so I didn't rank them.

1. Brigham
2. Wash U - the country's strongest program in academic anesthesiology, you can get a fellowship into anywhere from here
3. Washington Seattle - I've heard amazing things about this program's clinical training, faculty and hospital
4. OHSU - stellar clinical training and offers the anesthesia/critical care training if you're into that
5. Umich - some info on this school in previous posts
6. Columbia
7. NYU - Bellevue and Tisch are awesome hospitals, nice volume and variety
8. Irvine - on its way up, strong chairman
9. Loma Linda - Strong Peds
10. Maryland
11. USC - LA county hospital, So Cal, nice people

Anyone else have input on this list?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Motodroid, awesome list man! A lot of your list seems to depend on geography, do you want to live in the Midwest, Southwest, Northwest, Northeast? But still some stand above the rest in terms of quality of training, especially your top 7. I'm partial to the Cali schools cause I'm from here so based on geography I would've put them higher but in terms of training they don't compare to the rest. I had a previous post that my help. I don't know much about Iowa so I didn't rank them.

1. Brigham
2. Wash U - the country's strongest program in academic anesthesiology, you can get a fellowship into anywhere from here
3. Washington Seattle - I've heard amazing things about this program's clinical training, faculty and hospital
4. OHSU - stellar clinical training and offers the anesthesia/critical care training if you're into that
5. Umich - some info on this school in previous posts
6. Columbia
7. NYU - Bellevue and Tisch are awesome hospitals, nice volume and variety
8. Irvine - on its way up, strong chairman
9. Loma Linda - Strong Peds
10. Maryland
11. USC - LA county hospital, So Cal, nice people

Anyone else have input on this list?

Thanks. No real preference on where I go in the country.

From the midwest and go to school in the midwest but nothing holding me down to one spot. I am going to rank Brigham number one. I love Michigan. WashU was really nice (from interview day seemed residents were not as laid back as Michigan).

The pacific northwest is beautiful. I was a little bit afraid of seattle and traffic with different hospital locations. OHSU is great but they seemed on the higher end of hours (I got the impression they worked closer to 70 hours/week on average and they also seem to take 2 weekend calls per month). That said I love Portland as a city and the program itself was outstanding and will rank in my top 5.

The program that surprised me the most was Loma Linda. I didn't know much about it but came away really impressed with the program and people from there seemed to go to great fellowships. The location was nice, at least in the winter when I went compared to the midwest! I had a hard time getting a grasp on Irvine from my interview day. USC seemed pretty good for clinical, but very weak on research and did not seem to be working to improve that at all.

Maryland seems to be on its way up with their new chair. Residents seemed to enjoy there time there.

Columbia is great as I went there for undergrad and do enjoy NYC, just wish they would pay like you are living in NYC. Facilities did not seem as nice as other places.

Iowa was very impressive. Good hours, great case load, really top notch faculty, especially in pain from what I gathered. Only problem is location.

Okay, I'll bite. Torn between Stanford and OHSU. Opinions?

Did not interview at Stanford.

As for OHSU I like the program a lot. Great faculty and fantastic city. I think you probably will work more hours at OHSU as they def. seemed close to 70 when in the OR and 80 in the ICU. Call there seemed a little high to me and only 2 weekend fully off a month compared to many other programs having 3. I also wish on call days they would have you come in at 11am or 3 pm like many other programs instead of having a full day of cases. That said obviously a great city and program which will train you well and open up any door for you.

Thanks. No real preference on where I go in the country.

From the midwest and go to school in the midwest but nothing holding me down to one spot. I am going to rank Brigham number one. I love Michigan. WashU was really nice (from interview day seemed residents were not as laid back as Michigan).

The pacific northwest is beautiful. I was a little bit afraid of seattle and traffic with different hospital locations. OHSU is great but they seemed on the higher end of hours (I got the impression they worked closer to 70 hours/week on average and they also seem to take 2 weekend calls per month). That said I love Portland as a city and the program itself was outstanding and will rank in my top 5.

The program that surprised me the most was Loma Linda. I didn't know much about it but came away really impressed with the program and people from there seemed to go to great fellowships. The location was nice, at least in the winter when I went compared to the midwest! I had a hard time getting a grasp on Irvine from my interview day. USC seemed pretty good for clinical, but very weak on research and did not seem to be working to improve that at all.

Maryland seems to be on its way up with their new chair. Residents seemed to enjoy there time there.

Columbia is great as I went there for undergrad and do enjoy NYC, just wish they would pay like you are living in NYC. Facilities did not seem as nice as other places.

Iowa was very impressive. Good hours, great case load, really top notch faculty, especially in pain from what I gathered. Only problem is location.

My thoughts....

1. Brigham
2. Wash U
3. OHSU
4. Columbia
5. U Mich
6. NYU
7. Loma Linda
8. Iowa
9. U Wash Seattle
10. USC
11. Irvine
12. Maryland

Good luck!

Curious how people would rank these. I have no personal location criteria.

BIDMC
Brigham
U Chicago
Dartmouth
Minnesota
U Wisconsin
U Washington
OHSU
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tufts

Any thoughts about UCLA and living in LA/Westwood? Trying to figure out where to put it on the list...

I think I have my top 6, but I have no idea where to put them. I'm a Western PA guy, but I wouldn't be upset with any of the locations here. Hopefully I'll get one of these, but I just want to match!:xf:

UPMC Mercy (I know they are merging with Presby)
West Penn
Loyola
Penn State
U Rochester
Thomas Jefferson

Can anybody provide their thoughts on Temple's - Philly - anesthesiology program (Reputation, sub-specialty rotations, overall feeling of the program, etc...)???

Also who would you guys rank higher, Temple or CCF (including the location factor). Thanks!

Can anybody provide their thoughts on Temple's - Philly - anesthesiology program (Reputation, sub-specialty rotations, overall feeling of the program, etc...)???

Also who would you guys rank higher, Temple or CCF (including the location factor). Thanks!

I think the reputation of Temple is okay, but it's not up there with cleveland clinic. Temple seemed to have really great Trauma, and the residents were overall very busy. They almost seemed a little too busy, to the point of being overworked. Location wise, it's in a rotten part of town (hence the great trauma experience). I absolutely despise driving in Philadelphia, and you'll have to at Temple. Exposure seemed good and the upper level residents seemed rightfully confident in their abilities.

Any thoughts on my list? No geographic constraints. Interested in ICU...
Thanks!

1. Stanford
2. Brigham
3. BID
4. Sinai
5. UCSF
6. MGH
7. Denver
8. Penn
9. Columbia
10. Cornell
11. Dartmouth

I thought UCSF is very strong in critical care. They have a Anesthesia Critical Care path too. Kind of surprised you didn't rank it higher.

Yeah not getting UCSF (and MGH for that matter) being so far down if you like ICU. What gives?

And I thought Denver's ICU experience sounded bad. I'm not even ranking them for that reason. Were you impressed?

I didn't look at many of the others.

Good luck to you.

any thoughts on the some programs in texas?

utsw
ut houston
baylor
utmb
san antonio

Here's how the Texas programs are on my rank list.

1. San Antonio
2. Scott & White
3. UT-Houston
4. UT-MB
5. Baylor

I didn't interview at UT-SW (they filled up and I didn't care to wait for a spot). I have heard not so good things about their program as well. Just like any other residents at Parkland, I have heard they get worked into the ground and are not happy. Also, Dallas is my least favorite of the big 3 Texas cities.

San Antonio is my number 1 for a few reasons (FYI, I rotated in SA). First off, I am from SA, so that helps. Their chair is really an incredible guy and they have basically a 100% pass rate for written and orals since he's been there. They have a good didactic program and a very strong clinical program. The residents get along very well and they are not overworked. They might have around 7 calls a lot of months, but they get internal moonlighting after 3pm ($50/hr). Most nights, residents are out before 4pm or 4:30pm including doing preops. They are a program in good shape, but are also on their way up. They have a top-notch pain fellowship, a new critical care fellowship, and a few others to come (possibly CT, OB, etc).

Scott and white is also a program on its way up also. I was totally shocked when I rotated there. The number of procedures the residents get is incredible. As a student, I got to do 15 epidurals (about 8 of those thoracic) in about a week. Many residents do >1000 epidurals and >400 blocks. They have sweet hours (internal moonlighting after 3:30pm for $60/hr I think) and spend a lot of time hanging out with each other...on the lake, etc. The hospital is private, so it's a different patient population than I'm used to. They have great teaching attendings and the latest equipment. The biggest problem most people have with the program is that it's in Temple, TX.

I had heard not so good things about UT-Houston. I was pleasantly surprised at the interview (and the interview dinner). The new chair is an awesome lady and is a great asset. The interview day we did a pig trachea lab, which was really fun. It is a pretty big program and the residents do work very hard, but I like the direction that the program is moving. The residents seem to get along well and pretty much all know each other even though it's a huge program. They also work at Hermann (which sees more traumas than any hospital in the country) which is a plus, and have tons of fellowships availible.

UTMB seemed like a nice program. They are almost back to 100% surgeries from the hurricane. They have a sweet intern year at St. Joseph's hospital (but it's in Houston). One issue is the facilities...even though a lot of the surgeries are back, it will take some time to get back everything else. They aren't the program they used to be, but they are ok. The chair kinda rubbed me the wrong way during the interview day...basically he was really cocky about how good the program is and saying everyone else is second rate. One other thing I didn't like (not really a huge deal) is that the resident lounge was full of CRNAs and attendings.

Baylor is a program where you'll get an awesome education. They rotate through top notch hospitals including Texas Children's, Texas Heart, and MD Anderson. That being said, they are really spread out. Their "home base" is Ben Taub (a MASSIVE county hospital) and they also go to the VA and some to the Methodist. The Methodist hospital is another issue...most people know that Baylor and Methodist severed ties a few years ago. I did not like that they've had an interim chair for the last 3 years. I did, however, really like the PD. They also have tons of fellowships availible.

Sorry if the post is a little haphazard...believe me, I was surprised at my rank list. I'm now tired of writing, but will clarify if anyone needs...

Yeah not getting UCSF (and MGH for that matter) being so far down if you like ICU. What gives?

I guess if the OP wants to have a hybrid / open model for ICU? since both B&W and Stanford don't have closed ICUs...just speculation.

Any thoughts on my list? No geographic constraints. Interested in ICU...
Thanks!

1. Stanford
2. Brigham
3. BID
4. Sinai
5. UCSF
6. MGH
7. Denver
8. Penn
9. Columbia
10. Cornell
11. Dartmouth

If you really intersted in ICU would move UCSG, MGH, BID, Penn in front of Brigham because as an ICU doctor I would not want open unit as they have in Brigham.

Curious how people would rank these. I have no personal location criteria.

BIDMC
Brigham
U Chicago
Dartmouth
Minnesota
U Wisconsin
U Washington
OHSU
Medical College of Wisconsin
Tufts

Depends what you like but here is how I would do it:

1. BIDMC (Favorite program on whole trail)
2. U Chicago (I really liked this program but maybe that was just me and Chicago is great place)
3. OHSU (Great location and can't beat pacific nw plus top of the line program)
4. Brigham (open unit in icu bit of a turn off, hours tough)
5. U Washington (impressed with this and once again pacific nw is great)
6. U Wisconsin (great program, will get solid training)
7. Dartmouth (heard good things about but did not interview here)
8. Tufts (don't know anything about this program)
9. Medical College of Wisconsin (don't know anything about this program)
10. Minnesota (don't know anything about this program)

Any thoughts on how to rank these:

1. OHSU
2. Wash U
3. Washington Seattle
4. Umich
5. Brigham
6. Columbia
7. Maryland
8. USC
9. Loma Linda
10. Irvine
11. Iowa
12. NYU

Thanks for your opinions!

1. OHSU (longer hours but portland is amazing and when you do have free time you will get to have a lot of fun)
2. Wash U (academically outstanding and great fellowship placement..seem a bit more serious)
3. Michigan (best chairman of any place and great place to train)
4. Columbia (good training but not a great fan of hospital...that said will not close any doors to you)
5. Brigham (obviously good program but one of the harder in terms of hours and as said in previous posts open ICU)
6. Washington Seattle (love the pacific nw and good cases, and can get any fellowship from here)
7. Iowa (some great faculty and amazing clinical exposure just have to be ok with living in Iowa)
8. Loma Linda (good program and great weather during winter)
9. Maryland (don't know much about)
10. NYU (Did not get great feel here, but you get paid pretty good at least)
11. Irvine (getting much better)
12. USC (good clinical...but if you want fellowship be careful)

Any thoughts about UCLA and living in LA/Westwood? Trying to figure out where to put it on the list...

cons: cocky residents. traffic sucks. air sucks, most attendings keep their distance from residents, expensive/cost of living

pros: hospital is brand new, equipment is top notch, fancy cases (their thing are liver transplants, which take 8-10 hours), weather is awesome year round

There have been a few comments on this thread about the long hours at Brigham. I loved the program when I interviewed and the residents seemed very happy with reported hours comparable to other programs (~58-62). Any more specifics on this?

Here's how the Texas programs are on my rank list.

1. San Antonio
2. Scott & White
3. UT-Houston
4. UT-MB
5. Baylor

Sorry if the post is a little haphazard...believe me, I was surprised at my rank list. I'm now tired of writing, but will clarify if anyone needs...

:eek: If you had not clarified, I would have suspected you were making this list up with ulterior motives ;)...pretty much the exact opposite of what I have heard/experienced.

I would appreciate some last minute advice. I am having trouble deciding what to rank number 1 - OHSU vs UVM/FAHC (from both of whom I have received favorable feed-back, whatever that is worth). I know there is a big difference in reputation, and I know what most people on this thread would chose; I like UVM for several reasons, the foremost being location (small, family friendly town; close to extended family for me) and atmosphere. My only worry is competitiveness in the job market after residency. It seems that residents at UVM do go on to great fellowships, but I just don't feel like I know enough about the job market to make an educated decision.
As far as OHSU goes, I agree with everybody else on this thread; my only worry there is hours (I have family so hours do matter somewhat).
Any input would help!
(Oh and for those of you that are bored, how would you rank the following: Mayo-Rochester, Iowa, UPMC, UNC, Dartmouth, Maine, Maryland, UPenn, UMiami, Stony Brook)
Thank you!

Sounds like you like the cold. The question is: what are you looking for from residency? It sounds like you already answered it, the best opportunity for job placement upon graduation. If that's the case go with the best program, with lots of interconnectivity, and suck up a few longer work hours. If you want to stay near extended family go that route. Both places are great, Portland does have more to offer culturally and socially. Burlington has it too, just on a smaller scale. Personal preference.

Question, why did you not like the UPenn, UPMC programs???

I would appreciate some last minute advice. I am having trouble deciding what to rank number 1 - OHSU vs UVM/FAHC (from both of whom I have received favorable feed-back, whatever that is worth). I know there is a big difference in reputation, and I know what most people on this thread would chose; I like UVM for several reasons, the foremost being location (small, family friendly town; close to extended family for me) and atmosphere. My only worry is competitiveness in the job market after residency. It seems that residents at UVM do go on to great fellowships, but I just don't feel like I know enough about the job market to make an educated decision.
As far as OHSU goes, I agree with everybody else on this thread; my only worry there is hours (I have family so hours do matter somewhat).
Any input would help!
(Oh and for those of you that are bored, how would you rank the following: Mayo-Rochester, Iowa, UPMC, UNC, Dartmouth, Maine, Maryland, UPenn, UMiami, Stony Brook)
Thank you!

And I thought Denver's ICU experience sounded bad. I'm not even ranking them for that reason. Were you impressed?

I didn't look at many of the others.

Good luck to you.

I guess the list is based both on how much I liked the ICU, but also how I liked the program in general. I thought Stanford's ICU sounded great, and as far as I understood they treat both medical and surgical patients...

As for Denver, I thought the ICU actually sounded pretty good (when discussing it with the attendings), but I thought the residents generally disliked ICU... So I kinda thought they gave a skewed negative impression.

Brigham seemed to be "hybrid" or whatever that means, but from what I heard from residents/fellows they had a strong role in patient management.. maybe I am incorrect though!

Sounds like you like the cold. The question is: what are you looking for from residency? It sounds like you already answered it, the best opportunity for job placement upon graduation. If that's the case go with the best program, with lots of interconnectivity, and suck up a few longer work hours. If you want to stay near extended family go that route. Both places are great, Portland does have more to offer culturally and socially. Burlington has it too, just on a smaller scale. Personal preference.

Question, why did you not like the UPenn, UPMC programs???

Thanks VwB. I guess my real question is to WHAT DEGREE to I curtail my future options by ranking (and possibly matching to) a lesser known program...
As to UPMC, I absolutely loved the program/people. It is more a matter of location that precludes it from being #1. As to UPenn, the overall atmosphere/feeling just wasn't as good as at other places: the residents I met did not seem happy or excited to promote the program other than by way of the obvious 'it's great because it's UPenn' line.

If you're from a big city i.e Chicago/NYC/Boston/Atlanta then adjusting to LA shouldn't be a problem. Los Angeles has lots of bumper to bumper traffic, but visiting www.sigalert.com makes moving around the freeway easy. Though keep in mind that driving 20 miles can take you 15 minutes on a good day to 2 hrs on a crappy day and public transportation needs lots of improvement. Its a commuter city so you'll be driving a lot and gas is expensive

Cost of living is expensive, especially around Westwood. Most are able to afford living around the area by having roommates to split the cost. Though you can potentially get subsidize housing through UCLA, i think if you match you're suppose to immediately notify the program coordinator that you're interested in subsidize housing.

That said utilities and food are cheap. Southern California has lots of things to do from surfing, bike riding, snowboarding, hiking, hockey/baseball/basketball/soccer games and gawking at celebrities. People are relatively friendly and the weather is nice. I would have loved to have gone back to UCLA for residency

UT-Houston vs. St. Luke's-Roosevelt - Does anyone have any input? I have no preference towards either Houston or NYC, and am interested in opinions on the actual quality of the programs and the training they provide. Thanks

reposting because having a hard time with my "middle-of-the-list" programs:

northwestern
duke
yale

I too am having a lot of trouble with my middle.

U of C
WashU
Michigan
UPenn

You could also throw in U of Washington.

What did you guys think of these places. Any problems or negative things you remember?

They are all good so basically the negative things may make a difference.

If you don't want to post please PM me. Thanks!

Last edited:
You all seem to know the programs pretty well. If anyone you have advise on the rank order here let me know. This is what I have currently in order.

University of Washington - Seattle
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Virginia Commonwealth
University of Arizona, Tuscon
St Louis University
Case Western - Metrohealth
William Beaumont
University of Kansas - Wichita
Drexel
UMDNJ New Jersy Medical School
University of Kansas - Columbia
University of Arkansas - LIttle Rocke
LSU - Shreveport

hey guys,
i would like some opinions on this list, location doesnt matter to me. just want the best training i can get. pleaae rank these for me, thanks in advance.

in no particular order,

st luke's
albert einstein-montefiore
university of illinois-chicago
loyola
case western- UH
maine
umass

thanks again.

oh geez, crunch time all! remember, don't do any last minute changes...most people regret it!

Yup, Did you see the PowerPoint re: NRMP Ranking? Good Luck to ALL! :thumbup:
What is this Powerpoint of which you speak? Is it helpful and in the public domain?

Please help me out - how would you guys order these programs. Assume location doesn't matter but if it must be taken into account I suppose use a Midwestern bias.

U Chicago
U Wisconsin
Mt Sinai
Rush
NYU
St Lukes
Case UH
University of Illinois Chicago

Out of all of those UChicago by far has the biggest academic name.
After that it depends on the city. Do you like Chicago or NYC.

If it were me I'd do

UC
Mt Sinai
NYU
U wisc
Case
UIC
St. Lukes/Rush

Please help me out - how would you guys order these programs. Assume location doesn't matter but if it must be taken into account I suppose use a Midwestern bias.

U Chicago
U Wisconsin
Mt Sinai
Rush
NYU
St Lukes
Case UH
University of Illinois Chicago