Official 2012-2013 Cardiology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ah.. finally looks like nobody is applying this year ?
except me

Alright.. here goes
Having looked at the electronic LOR upload I keep wondering how to convince the "busy" chief of cardiology to login to ERAS, create a profile/ account and upload my LOR as a PDF. wonder if he knows what a PDF is? ...
I know I know his secretary will do that for him ..
but just wondering.. thinking of going the good ole way of paper LOR

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a dumb question, but looking at different program websites it seems they want us to fill out the ERAS application and a CV? I don't see any place in ERAS where there's an option to upload a CV. Anyone know something I don't?

I'm almost sure you just apply through ERAS and thats it. Shouldnt have to send anything additional to fellowship programs outside of ERAS.

This may be a dumb question, but looking at different program websites it seems they want us to fill out the ERAS application and a CV? I don't see any place in ERAS where there's an option to upload a CV. Anyone know something I don't?

Yeah ... keep in mind that some programs have outdated websites, on some of them looks like nobody touched the website since June 2001.

ERAS can generate CV based on information you provide.
possibly they go back since ERAS version 0.0.0.1 when you can't generate CV
Also some programs don't participate in ERAS those may be asking for CV to be " faxed"

This is it. Programs started downloading applications. Some have even closed their application receipt. Game's on. Good luck everyone.

Good luck everyone. Couple of places did download my application already. Cardiology coordinators working on Sundays? Strange but I guess this cycle is going to be crazy as the usual 7 month cycle has been shortened to just 5 months.

Can you move this thread to the main list, down looks like people aren't realizing it is this year's thread.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's at the very top of the main Cards page. If you're viewing it on the mobile app, that's just the way it works and there's nothing I can do about that. If it isn't "stickied" it is likely to fall off the front page. I think the real problem is that not that many people are posting on it. It's still early. Relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is it. Programs started downloading applications. Some have even closed their application receipt. Game's on. Good luck everyone.

Didn't realize that they were closing their applications so early... I'm submitting apps now. Which programs have already closed their application receipt?

Long time lurker, applying for fellowship this year. Applied to ~40 programs, crazy that programs already started downloading applications though I'm sure we won't hear until August at the earliest. Looking forward to experience the randomness of this process!

Hopefully, this thread stays active throughout interview season

None of them.

try to apply to Hospital of St Raphael, CT or to Rosalind Franklyn. IL

they were open on July 1rst, not anymore...

I'm sure there's more out there..

If they're closed it's because they're not accepting apps this year (either they pre-matched or won't have spots this year), not because they got all the apps they need/want on July 1.

University of Maryland send me a political rejection. "Do not accept/consider H1B but will consider if you change to J1"

Same here, Univ of Maryland..visa issues with H1 applicants, 25 dollars down the drain!

St Raph. program is closed, they are not taking first year fellows this year.
Rosalind Franklin IM has been going into so many troubles wouldn't be surprised if they closed their fellowship too

Guys, what do think about the current match season.. With cards reimbursement going down, will it bless competitive..
Also do you guys mind to post your credentials just to see how competitive we stand atleast amongst ourselves....
Starting with myself
IMG/J1 visa/Mid tier university program
12 pubs (9 case reports, 3 original studies- all in mid tier journals, nothing ofcourse in JACC or such)
Posters at ACC/AHA/AMA/ACP 1 in each of them..
Good board scores..
Applied to 80 programs..

Yup. A lot of programs have downloaded apps on first day.

FYI, University of Rochester has started sending out interview invites

Have you guys got all the LORs? I had 3 LORs when I applied... waiting for the 4th (& probably one of the most important ones)... from my PD!!

Question: Do programs look at all LORs prior to sending out interview invites? or do they look at letters during/after the interview?

Have you guys got all the LORs? I had 3 LORs when I applied... waiting for the 4th (& probably one of the most important ones)... from my PD!!

Question: Do programs look at all LORs prior to sending out interview invites? or do they look at letters during/after the interview?

Yes, LOR are critical to look at before inviting any one for interview and are looked at interview also. Try to get the application in before the deadlines for programs.

Does Univ of Roch call visa-seeking people? Is it J1 only?

Yes, LOR are critical to look at before inviting any one for interview and are looked at interview also. Try to get the application in before the deadlines for programs.

Some places e.g. Duke, want ALL documents incl app and LORs to get there by the deadline. So pay attention to the requirements.

Last edited:
I keep checking my emails like a freak.. but no emails from myeras! stinks

Can I apply these days or it is now late?

No you are still good. Most places have deadline of July 31. But before applying, look it up as ERAS is not going to refund your money if you apply late. IMHO July 31 is still safe for most programs.

Agree, go ahead and apply ASAP.

Thanks a lot. Applying - 60 programs.

Applied mid last week and so far nothing. Will keep every one posted.

I don't think there is going to be any movement until mid- to late-aug as programs are not going to look until your file is complete. so I guess bulk of the movement is going to happen during that time frame as programs need to go over applications as well. SO once the files are complete, it is easier for programs to throw the applications together one time to the ceiling and see which ones stick and offer them interviews :D

How many programs is everyone applying to? I have applied to 21 and it seems like too few when I hear numbers like 60+, 80+. Should I be applying to more programs?

Depend upon each individual and credentials etc 10-20 program are generally sufficient.

Why is it that all programs have not downloaded applications at this point?

How many programs is everyone applying to? I have applied to 21 and it seems like too few when I hear numbers like 60+, 80+. Should I be applying to more programs?

I did ~40 (don't even remember anymore)... I wish I was in your shoes!

Numbers don't matter as long as you match into the program of your choice. Interviews invites depend upon your credentials not the number of programs you have applied to. So relax and go with your initial gut feeling.

LOL. It's not about being in my shoes. I just didn't know what arbitrary (or scientifically calculated number by SDN community) number of programs would be considered safe number to apply to for cardiology. My 21 came from - 20 via ERAS - as the fees become quite steep after that and 1 outside ERAS.

Thanks!