Official 2012-2013 Cardiology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear from Winthrop?

Members don't see this ad.

any news from USC guys? What is taking them so long?
After this week, there are 3 more days left in the interview season!!! Do you guys think that programs will interview in November?

Members don't see this ad :)
any news from USC guys? What is taking them so long?
After this week, there are 3 more days left in the interview season!!! Do you guys think that programs will interview in November?

Harbor UCLA is...maybe USC will too

Global message from USC (OMG they're really behind...)

"Dear applicants,

I apologize for the delay, we are behind in sending out invitations for
interviews. We will be sending out invitations by next Tuesday through
Interview broker. Our Interview dates will be October 13 and 27.

Thank you for your patience.
Sarah"

Follow up with an actual interview to USC they have two dates on Saturdays this month. Use an online scheduling system.

Hey guys, just curious. I am not sure the saying " this year applicants seem to get more IVs than in the past" is it true?

Hey itsmemaryjane,

I wonder what kind of cardiology related training are you doing right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick fast!--Academic program in a great location or University program in a bad location? ("Great" and "bad" can mean whatever you want)

I did residency in southern california and I have a lot of southern california interviews. Any thoughts on how the southern california programs rank amongst each other. Namely Scripps, Cedars, UCLA, UCI, USC. Thanks!

Anybody interviewed at Danbury?

Last edited:
I did residency in southern california and I have a lot of southern california interviews. Any thoughts on how the southern california programs rank amongst each other. Namely Scripps, Cedars, UCLA, UCI, USC. Thanks!

I am (almost) in the same boat. Haven't been to USC or Harbor yet, though

I think Kaiser deserves a mention in there, def above UC-I.

I'm having a hard time between Cedars and UCLA. It seems to come down to clinical vs research, or is that the totally wrong impression?

Can some one please give feedback on how is the Mount Sinai Florida program?
Thanks a lot.

Is Kaiser LA a good program?

I thought the Kaiser program was clinically strong--they have high procedural volumes and seems like a fair amount of autonomy. Being a Kaiser referral center, they see alot of pathology. Weakness are heart failure/assist device/ transplant and CT--although they go to Harbor for a rotation to work with Budoff.
In the end, it is a community program and many ppl who leave there go into the Kaiser system or private practice. They did say that you can do clinical research with the Kaiser database and they have a fair amount of resources (help with writing proposals, x hrs with a statistician) built into encouraging research. Small fellowship, but fellows were probably the most laid back (in a good way) that I met on the interview trail.

Can program directors see where else we are interviewing?

May be against the rules, but a number of programs flat out ask for your interview list. Kind of an awkward question.

May be against the rules, but a number of programs flat out ask for your interview list. Kind of an awkward question.

Yeah, that is very unprofessional. I had one interviewer ask me if I was their first choice, and then when I said I wasn't sure, he asked me where else I was interviewing and proceeded to run down the other places.... I had no idea Mayo programs were so crappy ;)

during UCLA-Harbor I got pimped on the harders ECGs, heart sounds, physical exams, CXRs, chest CT and echos!!!!!!! The interview ran 50 mins!!!!

Dear PC , Gutonc , others
Does receiving a positive response from PD &/ chair after interview mean anything ? or is it just customary..
ty

UT memphis- I could not search in NRMP for ROL, does that mean they are not participating in match this year?

All the best for the match everyone. T-15 min.....

Does receiving a positive response from PD &/ chair after interview mean anything ? or is it just customary..
ty

The answer to this question, in my case anyway, was no. I was told by a program that they were very impressed with me, that I was a strong candidate, and that I would be ranked very highly, but I did not end up matching there.

I am very happy with my 2nd choice though!

The answer to this question, in my case anyway, was no. I was told by a program that they were very impressed with me, that I was a strong candidate, and that I would be ranked very highly, but I did not end up matching there.

I matched lower on my rank list, and most of the programs higher on rank list told me the same things, some even contacting near match deadline and writing a letter saying they will rank me high etc.... I guess I did the same thing while interviewing when I was telling every program that I loved their program and will rank them high :laugh:..
You know only when you match!!

I matched lower on my rank list, and most of the programs higher on rank list told me the same things, some even contacting near match deadline and writing a letter saying they will rank me high etc.... I guess I did the same thing while interviewing when I was telling every program that I loved their program and will rank them high :laugh:..
You know only when you match!!

Same with me. Never trust vandy, tufts and such places!

These things are not mutually exclusive. "Rank you very highly" is just as subjective (and complete bulls**t) on the part of applicants as it is for programs.

Guess how many programs that ranked you highly (but you didn't rank above your #2) are worked up about you not matching there? HINT: It's a number between 0 and 0. You need to roll the same way.

Their "we will rank you highly" meant exactly the same thing to you as your "I will rank you highly" meant to them which is, "not #1."

ty

These things are not mutually exclusive. "Rank you very highly" is just as subjective (and complete bulls**t) on the part of applicants as it is for programs.

Guess how many programs that ranked you highly (but you didn't rank above your #2) are worked up about you not matching there? HINT: It's a number between 0 and 0. You need to roll the same way.

Their "we will rank you highly" meant exactly the same thing to you as your "I will rank you highly" meant to them which is, "not #1."

This is true, but you should look at what I was responding to. I was responding to the question of if receiving a positive response from a program mean anything. And as you pointed out, it means the same thing it means when we say it... Jack. :banana:

This is true, but you should look at what I was responding to. I was responding to the question of if receiving a positive response from a program mean anything. And as you pointed out, it means the same thing it means when we say it... Jack.

But you missed my point. Which was simply that nobody lied to you.

You may have over-interpreted what a program said, but that does't mean anyone led you astray.

Thanks for your response. All is well that ends well. Some gamesmanship is there for sure from both programs and applicants. I guess we applicants are more sensitive as we are the ones moving etc. either way its 3 yrs only, and since this was the bottleneck in regards to opportunities , it wld be easier to be where you want to be from now onwards. thanks everyone for their help and participation in this forum.

Just to put a positive spin on things...I was told by my number one ranked program that they have ranked me high enough to match there. I eventually did match there. I think "we will be ranking you highly" just means that you have a good chance of being ranked at best. However in my case I received a phone call from the program and a follow up email to let me know that they are interested.

I think when programs respond to thank you emails with a "we are interested too response" or "will be ranking you highly" response it is just a courtesy response. Congrats to all those who matched!:thumbup:

So how about the leave something for the next group. Leave your insights and views on the different programs you went to.