You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread
Started by amavir281
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was really bored so I looked back in the thread to correlate 2 digit to 3 digit numbers.
75: 188-192
...
83: 228-232
84: 233-237
85: 238-242
86: 243-247
87: 248-252
88: 253-257
89: 258-262
90: 263-267
91: 268-272
92+: Insufficient data; 275 is a 92
From what I can tell it's 5 three digit scores = a given 2 digit score. However it seems to only apply for a given time period. I've seen scores such as a 246 be reported as both as an 86 and an 87. The guys saying 87 took the test in late August vs the guys saying 86 who took it in June.
75: 188-192
...
83: 228-232
84: 233-237
85: 238-242
86: 243-247
87: 248-252
88: 253-257
89: 258-262
90: 263-267
91: 268-272
92+: Insufficient data; 275 is a 92
From what I can tell it's 5 three digit scores = a given 2 digit score. However it seems to only apply for a given time period. I've seen scores such as a 246 be reported as both as an 86 and an 87. The guys saying 87 took the test in late August vs the guys saying 86 who took it in June.
Last edited:
I was really bored so I looked back in the thread to correlate 2 digit to 3 digit numbers.
75: 188-192
...
83: 228-232
84: 233-237
85: 238-242
86: 243-247
87: 248-252
88: 253-257
89: 258-262
90: 263-267
91: 268-272
92+: Insufficient data; 275 is a 92
From what I can tell it's 5 three digit scores = a given 2 digit score. However it seems to only apply for a given time period. I've seen scores such as a 246 be reported as both as an 86 and an 87. The guys saying 87 took the test in late August vs the guys saying 86 who took it in June.
Amazing work!! 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need some more advice...I have done Pathoma once, and I was wondering, do you think doing Pathoma again will be more helpful or doing Goljan audios will be more helpful for the exam?? I am sorry if this has been discussed already!!
When is your exam?
If your exam is on the 19th, don't even think about touching anything other than FA, UWorld and the NBMEs.
Put Goljan and other resources aside. It's too late for learning concepts. Sit down. Memorize FA. Finish / do your incorrects in UWorld if you haven't already, and complete all of the NBME exams. Living and breathing FA for the final two weeks is essential because most of your high-yield points are right there.
I would also recommend the ijn method of PrntScr-imaging all of your incorrect NBME questions into a Powerpoint for last-day blitz-review.
Put Goljan and other resources aside. It's too late for learning concepts. Sit down. Memorize FA. Finish / do your incorrects in UWorld if you haven't already, and complete all of the NBME exams. Living and breathing FA for the final two weeks is essential because most of your high-yield points are right there.
I would also recommend the ijn method of PrntScr-imaging all of your incorrect NBME questions into a Powerpoint for last-day blitz-review.
If your exam is on the 19th, don't even think about touching anything other than FA, UWorld and the NBMEs.
Put Goljan and other resources aside. It's too late for learning concepts. Sit down. Memorize FA. Finish / do your incorrects in UWorld if you haven't already, and complete all of the NBME exams. Living and breathing FA for the final two weeks is essential because most of your high-yield points are right there.
I would also recommend the ijn method of PrntScr-imaging all of your incorrect NBME questions into a Powerpoint for last-day blitz-review.
can your print screen uworld Qs? i have tried a couple of times and it terminates my exam!
Yes you can, use something other than the standard method.
There was some bloke on this thread some time ago who said he had taken pictures with his camera, printed them, and then taped them into his FA. That's a bit overkill though if you ask me. The fact that the UWorld app doesn't allow keyboard functions (e.g. PrntScr) is just extra incentive to annotate and learn ultra-well from that QBank on the first pass. I believe UWorld Qs, including their self-assessment exams, however, should be exhausted in their entirety (including however many passes one chooses to do on the QBank) by 10-14 days-out from the exam, at the most. The final days should be for just FA + the NBME assessments. On the other hand, if you're time-constrained and need to use the last days to get UWorld done, then so be it.
on a mac?
InstantShot.
Put Goljan and other resources aside. Living and breathing FA for the final two weeks is essential because most of your high-yield points are right there.
Isn't two weeks with only FA a bit of an overkill? It has only 600-odd pages. Maybe 7 ten-hour-days is more reasonable?
I was really bored so I looked back in the thread to correlate 2 digit to 3 digit numbers.
75: 188-192
...
83: 228-232
84: 233-237
85: 238-242
86: 243-247
87: 248-252
88: 253-257
89: 258-262
90: 263-267
91: 268-272
92+: Insufficient data; 275 is a 92
From what I can tell it's 5 three digit scores = a given 2 digit score. However it seems to only apply for a given time period. I've seen scores such as a 246 be reported as both as an 86 and an 87. The guys saying 87 took the test in late August vs the guys saying 86 who took it in June.
Wow, awesome stuff. Here's another challenge for the forum folks. Let us say three people score 250, 240 and 230 respectively on the exam. Out of the 322 questions approximately how many questions do each of the three get wrong?
Is this in any way predictable? Just curious.
In my opinion its impossible to predict outside of maybe reverse engineering the NBMEs and even that might be totally off. The fact that not every wrong is created equal makes it very hard to find something like this out.Isn't two weeks with only FA a bit of an overkill? It has only 600-odd pages. Maybe 7 ten-hour-days is more reasonable?
Wow, awesome stuff. Here's another challenge for the forum folks. Let us say three people score 250, 240 and 230 respectively on the exam. Out of the 322 questions approximately how many questions do each of the three get wrong?
Is this in any way predictable? Just curious.
Someone getting experimentals wrong isn't going to be the same as someone getting a non-experimental question wrong. I've also heard rumors that questions that are answered incorrectly by an overwhelming majority of people and questions that are answered correctly by an overwhelming majority are crossed off. Just rumors though, never anything concrete.
Plus nobody actually knows how many questions they got wrong in the first place.
Isn't two weeks with only FA a bit of an overkill? It has only 600-odd pages. Maybe 7 ten-hour-days is more reasonable?
I don't know what planet you've arrived from, but if you can fully internalize your multi-QBank-annotated FA in just a week, then that's just beyond me. Everyone is different, but I've probably doubled the length of my FA, given that every page is covered with my minuscule writing at this point. If you gave me two weeks at 10hrs/day, I think I might be able to do just a very cursory skim of it all.
Isn't the consensus to just annotate material from UWorld into FA? I'm sure if you count other qbanks... then that's quite a heavy load...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know what planet you've arrived from, but if you can fully internalize your multi-QBank-annotated FA in just a week, then that's just beyond me. Everyone is different, but I've probably doubled the length of my FA, given that every page is covered with my minuscule writing at this point. If you gave me two weeks at 10hrs/day, I think I might be able to do just a very cursory skim of it all.
Sorry I didn't mean to say that at all. What I meant to say was, wouldn't it be better to find a balance between good studying and getting burnt out?
I haven't done it yet, but I have kept aside exactly 7 days for the final FA revision including notes from only UWorld. I'm hoping I would have all the concepts internalized before that time so that final 7 days would be just to revise all the facts once again.
Have I overestimated myself? Is it difficult to do that in about 70 hours of desk time?
Sorry I didn't mean to say that at all. What I meant to say was, wouldn't it be better to find a balance between good studying and getting burnt out?
I haven't done it yet, but I have kept aside exactly 7 days for the final FA revision including notes from only UWorld. I'm hoping I would have all the concepts internalized before that time so that final 7 days would be just to revise all the facts once again.
Have I overestimated myself? Is it difficult to do that in about 70 hours of desk time?
Quite honestly, I would say that there have been enough people on this thread this year with 260+ who had executed one of a number of different tactics. You just need to find what's best for you.
Quite honestly, I would say that there have been enough people on this thread this year with 260+ who had executed one of a number of different tactics. You just need to find what's best for you.
Okay, let us know how it works out for you.
I don't know what planet you've arrived from, but if you can fully internalize your multi-QBank-annotated FA in just a week, then that's just beyond me. Everyone is different, but I've probably doubled the length of my FA, given that every page is covered with my minuscule writing at this point. If you gave me two weeks at 10hrs/day, I think I might be able to do just a very cursory skim of it all.
Earth.
I appreciate the previous replies to my posts! But right now I am in a very freaked out mode...I took UWSA1 and got 540/228!! This was taken about 4 days after NBME 7, in which I got 219. I have the exam on the 19th. So I am really scared and am thinking of postponing the exam, since UWSA overpredicts by god knows how much!!
What should I do? At this point, I will be more than happy with the score of 225 on the real deal!! Any advice/feedback is as always, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Should I extend the exam? Or just review first aid as much as I can and take it? THANKS!!
What should I do? At this point, I will be more than happy with the score of 225 on the real deal!! Any advice/feedback is as always, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Should I extend the exam? Or just review first aid as much as I can and take it? THANKS!!
I appreciate the previous replies to my posts! But right now I am in a very freaked out mode...I took UWSA1 and got 540/228!! This was taken about 4 days after NBME 7, in which I got 219. I have the exam on the 19th. So I am really scared and am thinking of postponing the exam, since UWSA overpredicts by god knows how much!!
What should I do? At this point, I will be more than happy with the score of 225 on the real deal!! Any advice/feedback is as always, GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Should I extend the exam? Or just review first aid as much as I can and take it? THANKS!!
The decision to postpone the exam comes down to you. However be aware that your real score, with high probability, will be close to your NBMEs. If it were me, I would not sit the USMLE until I were happy with my NBMEs.
FYI - my first NBME was like 212 (about 4 weeks our or something), and my last was a 232 or something similar to that (1 week out) and I got a 244. Sure, NBME's are really all you have to go off of before the real thing, but they aren't the end-all be-all. However, you only get 1 shot at this, so be careful.
Can you tell me which NBME forms you took?? Thanks!
Is there a problem in postponing the exam for you? I'm getting the impression that you want someone to tell you to go ahead and take the exam even if you are not completely happy with the NBME scores.
Is there a problem in postponing the exam for you? I'm getting the impression that you want someone to tell you to go ahead and take the exam even if you are not completely happy with the NBME scores.
Haha, yeah that is pretty much summing it up!! I guess I was just looking for an outsider to give positive feedback so that I can gain some confidence. Or someone that has had similar NBME scores and then took the exam and passed or did well!! I know its weird, but I guess that's what happens to your when the exam is in a week!!

FYI - my first NBME was like 212 (about 4 weeks our or something), and my last was a 232 or something similar to that (1 week out) and I got a 244. Sure, NBME's are really all you have to go off of before the real thing, but they aren't the end-all be-all. However, you only get 1 shot at this, so be careful.
Great thank you for your reply! That is definitely helpful to know!! And congratulations on the amazing improvement!! 👍
If you look at my thread history, I pretty much said that same exact thing. I was 4 days out of my test and I was worried about taking an NBME and losing confidence. The fact of the matter is, NBMEs are good practice and a decent indicator of your score.Thanks! So I am debating whether I should take another NBME...but am worried of getting a low score and completely loosing the little confidence that I have!
It boils down to the Step 1 score being extremely important and you have to do what it takes. Clench your teeth and take an NBME. If its bad postpone the test, simple as that. In the big scheme of things going through the headache of postponing and not finishing on time is nothing compared to the hassle of dealing with a bad score.
Its also an easier choice if you don't have any scheduling issues (no deadline or rotations coming up), but nonetheless you do what you have to do.
FWIW, I ended up getting a 242 on the NBME I took 4 days before my test and I didn't postpone, but my score comes out on Wednesday, so let's hope I made the right choice 😉
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread but was wondering if the same materials mentioned in the thread ( FA, USMLEWorld, USMLErx etc ) are good enough for FMGs taking Step 1. The Steps aren't integrated in our curriculum so we might need more than just concise books for understanding concepts.
Also I'm in the last few months of medical school, finish in December. So I'm more comfortable with the clinical subjects than basic sciences which were covered in Year 1 and 2. Is it advisable to take Step 2 first?
Thanks for your time and any help is appreciated, I don't even know where to begin to prepare for the boards.
There was another thread for FMGs/IMGs and Step 1 but the information seemed to be out of date so if there's a recent one, post the link please?
Also I'm in the last few months of medical school, finish in December. So I'm more comfortable with the clinical subjects than basic sciences which were covered in Year 1 and 2. Is it advisable to take Step 2 first?
Thanks for your time and any help is appreciated, I don't even know where to begin to prepare for the boards.
There was another thread for FMGs/IMGs and Step 1 but the information seemed to be out of date so if there's a recent one, post the link please?
I know folks that have taken Step 2 before Step 1. I'd recommend grabbing copies of Step 1 and Step 2 books and spending a day going through each one. Then decide what you feel more comfortable with/remember more of and go with that. The best option would probably be to take a practice test in each one and see what you score higher in, but that might be very taxing.Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong thread but was wondering if the same materials mentioned in the thread ( FA, USMLEWorld, USMLErx etc ) are good enough for FMGs taking Step 1. The Steps aren't integrated in our curriculum so we might need more than just concise books for understanding concepts.
Also I'm in the last few months of medical school, finish in December. So I'm more comfortable with the clinical subjects than basic sciences which were covered in Year 1 and 2. Is it advisable to take Step 2 first?
Thanks for your time and any help is appreciated, I don't even know where to begin to prepare for the boards.
There was another thread for FMGs/IMGs and Step 1 but the information seemed to be out of date so if there's a recent one, post the link please?
As far as resources go, FA, UWorld and a good Pathology resource (Pathoma/Golgan/BRS) are more than enough for anybody whos actually gone to medical school and has a decent grasp on the English language. They have 95% of the points you're going to encounter, but there will obviously be topics you've forgotten/not understood that you'll have to search online for or open another resource. Obviously if you find things aren't working you can turn to DIT or Kaplan Videos but the FA/Uworld/Pathoma trio is an excellent base.
I know folks that have taken Step 2 before Step 1. I'd recommend grabbing copies of Step 1 and Step 2 books and spending a day going through each one. Then decide what you feel more comfortable with/remember more of and go with that. The best option would probably be to take a practice test in each one and see what you score higher in, but that might be very taxing.
As far as resources go, FA, UWorld and a good Pathology resource (Pathoma/Golgan/BRS) are more than enough for anybody whos actually gone to medical school and has a decent grasp on the English language. They have 95% of the points you're going to encounter, but there will obviously be topics you've forgotten/not understood that you'll have to search online for or open another resource. Obviously if you find things aren't working you can turn to DIT or Kaplan Videos but the FA/Uworld/Pathoma trio is an excellent base.
Thank you so much! Ya I'll start with these and see how it goes.
What about Embryology, Behavioral sciences and all those other subjects? How much weight-age is given to that?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much! Ya I'll start with these and see how it goes.
What about Embryology, Behavioral sciences and all those other subjects? How much weight-age is given to that?
I forward Ronin786.
Everyone's exam is unique and different and there is no specific percentage/no of questions per se set by NBME for each subject/organ system.
That said, path, pharm nd physio cover quite a bit of step 1. Can't put a number though. Pure conjecture.
Ok thanks!
One more thing, I read somewhere on this forum that we wont know when the exam dates are until after we apply, so how do we estimate how much time to put aside?
Will 4-6 months do? That's with no rotations, just prep time for Step 1.
One more thing, I read somewhere on this forum that we wont know when the exam dates are until after we apply, so how do we estimate how much time to put aside?
Will 4-6 months do? That's with no rotations, just prep time for Step 1.
Ok thanks!
One more thing, I read somewhere on this forum that we wont know when the exam dates are until after we apply, so how do we estimate how much time to put aside?
Will 4-6 months do? That's with no rotations, just prep time for Step 1.
How much prep time one needs, depends on the individual- his target score, time he can afford, level of knowledge and so on and so forth. So, go through FA, take a NBME, identify your weak areas and you'll have a pretty good picture of how much time you need to study to get to whatever score it is you have in mind.
You can schedule the test anytime of the year except the first 15 days of Jan. Register on ECFMG-- http://bit.ly/BmVtD, take a 3 month eligibility period, pay, submit your form 183/186( http://bit.ly/PvJKVi ). You shall receive the scheduling permit from ECFMG within 21-25 days. Once you have the permit, schedule your exam via prometric ( http://bit.ly/X9rWPw )on a date within the 3 month eligibility period you applied for. If for some reason you are unable to take the exam within this period, you can then apply for a "one time" extension for the "next consecutive" 3 month slot, for $65.
How much prep time one needs, depends on the individual- his target score, time he can afford, level of knowledge and so on and so forth. So, go through FA, take a NBME, identify your weak areas and you'll have a pretty good picture of how much time you need to study to get to whatever score it is you have in mind.
You can schedule the test anytime of the year except the first 15 days of Jan. Register on ECFMG-- http://bit.ly/BmVtD, take a 3 month eligibility period, pay, submit your form 183/186( http://bit.ly/PvJKVi ). You shall receive the scheduling permit from ECFMG within 21-25 days. Once you have the permit, schedule your exam via prometric ( http://bit.ly/X9rWPw )on a date within the 3 month eligibility period you applied for. If for some reason you are unable to take the exam within this period, you can then apply for a "one time" extension for the "next consecutive" 3 month slot, for $65.
Thanks 🙂 This really helped
Yeah, they are- In India 6 outta the 8 prometric centers have opened up early 2013 slots. I am guessing from this post- http://bit.ly/SVkLdc that others shall follow suit in the next day or so.
Last edited:
So I just took NBME 12 (as suggested), got 231 which is an improvement from the previous NBME. Exam in a few days, I just want to get an average score 225. Do you think I am safe to go in with this NBME 12 score and score in the 220's???? THANKS for all the feedback, it has been really useful! Exam anxiety is starting to kick in!!!!!
So I took my exam yesterday, and since this forum helped me a lot, I wanted to give some feedback. I put in more details when I get my scores in a couple of weeks, but to those that are studying right now I wanna say this: FA/UW/Pathoma is a perfect combination. Read every commentary, take your time to read FA again and again, and then that definitely is enough for a good score.
Last edited:
So I just took NBME 12 (as suggested), got 231 which is an improvement from the previous NBME. Exam in a few days, I just want to get an average score 225. Do you think I am safe to go in with this NBME 12 score and score in the 220's???? THANKS for all the feedback, it has been really useful! Exam anxiety is starting to kick in!!!!!
No, generally you want your NBMEs to be averaging at least 250 to score a 225 on the real deal.
No, generally you want your NBMEs to be averaging at least 250 to score a 225 on the real deal.
LOL that's pretty messed up man!! Why would you hit a man when he is down??
Just got my score. 23x/84
I was supposed to begin studying back in March while doing rotations, but I only got through Genetics, Biochem and Patho. Then I took a 3 week vacation after the year ended and started back up in July. I took too long finishing up First Aid for the first pass, as I only got through it with around a month left before the test and I hadn't started Uworld. I took UWSA with around 15% of UWorld done and got a 234, then I took NBME 11 with 40% done and got a 235. I took NBME 13 just 4 days before my test after finishing 75% and got a 242.
My overall Uworld % on timed random was 71% so I was expecting a bit higher, but in the end I think I messed up on too many of the easy questions since I didn't memorize every word in FA.
In either case, Uworld/FA/Pathoma is more than enough to score good on this test.
Its quite clear from my score profile that anatomy really hurt me. Cell bio, Nervous System and Gross Anatomy really took me down. Hopefully its a good enough score though, and at least I can stop worrying about what questions I got right or wrong.
I was supposed to begin studying back in March while doing rotations, but I only got through Genetics, Biochem and Patho. Then I took a 3 week vacation after the year ended and started back up in July. I took too long finishing up First Aid for the first pass, as I only got through it with around a month left before the test and I hadn't started Uworld. I took UWSA with around 15% of UWorld done and got a 234, then I took NBME 11 with 40% done and got a 235. I took NBME 13 just 4 days before my test after finishing 75% and got a 242.
My overall Uworld % on timed random was 71% so I was expecting a bit higher, but in the end I think I messed up on too many of the easy questions since I didn't memorize every word in FA.
In either case, Uworld/FA/Pathoma is more than enough to score good on this test.
Its quite clear from my score profile that anatomy really hurt me. Cell bio, Nervous System and Gross Anatomy really took me down. Hopefully its a good enough score though, and at least I can stop worrying about what questions I got right or wrong.
Last edited:
hey congrats!! awesome score. when did u take the exam? trying to figure out when my result will come out
I took my test on the 24th of September. I've come to understand that if you take your test on a Weds, Thurs or Friday then you count 3 Wednesdays. If you take it on a Monday or Tuesday then you count 4 Wednesdays.hey congrats!! awesome score. when did u take the exam? trying to figure out when my result will come out
Ronin, thanks so much for having helped out on this forum. Congrats on your exam.
Given your NBME scores, how do you compare the difficulty of NBME11 and 13 with your actual exam?
Given your NBME scores, how do you compare the difficulty of NBME11 and 13 with your actual exam?
I felt NBME 11 was easier than NBME 13 but I felt that neither of them really compared to my exam.Ronin, thanks so much for having helped out on this forum. Congrats on your exam.
Given your NBME scores, how do you compare the difficulty of NBME11 and 13 with your actual exam?
For me the test felt exactly like it was a Uworld test. I don't know if that was good or bad, but I know I missed something like 7-10 easy questions, and I think those made all the difference. I kept on putting off little things till the end saying that I would forget them and in the end I didnt even get to them.
For example, Lymph Nodes, Differences in old people, Stages of the sleep cycle. Stuff that I definitely should have gotten, but I kept postponing them. I don't know if I didn't give UWorld enough time, but if I had 1 wish I'd go back and memorize the crap out of FA.
BTW since I don't want to go around asking the Resident forums, how competitive would you guys say this score is? Sticking around SDN and IMGs will give you no idea what a good score is lol. I'm a USIMG and I'm interested in Anesthesia. Aye or nay?
I felt NBME 11 was easier than NBME 13 but I felt that neither of them really compared to my exam.
For me the test felt exactly like it was a Uworld test. I don't know if that was good or bad, but I know I missed something like 7-10 easy questions, and I think those made all the difference. I kept on putting off little things till the end saying that I would forget them and in the end I didnt even get to them.
For example, Lymph Nodes, Differences in old people, Stages of the sleep cycle. Stuff that I definitely should have gotten, but I kept postponing them. I don't know if I didn't give UWorld enough time, but if I had 1 wish I'd go back and memorize the crap out of FA.
BTW since I don't want to go around asking the Resident forums, how competitive would you guys say this score is? Sticking around SDN and IMGs will give you no idea what a good score is lol. I'm a USIMG and I'm interested in Anesthesia. Aye or nay?
don't worry about it man
my friend is a US IMG too and matched in Mayo clinic with slightly less score than urs
ur in good shape, provided that u get USCE
oh and congratulations on ur score 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For example, Lymph Nodes, Differences in old people, Stages of the sleep cycle. Stuff that I definitely should have gotten, but I kept postponing them. I don't know if I didn't give UWorld enough time, but if I had 1 wish I'd go back and memorize the crap out of FA.
Congratulations on your score. I'm an IMG and I would be really happy with anything around 235 and above.
what if you take it on a sunday?
Count three Wednesdays.what if you take it on a sunday?
And thanks for the wishes guys. This forum was a great help. I was surprised that the actual waiting for the score was much harder than studying. I was pretty much unable to focus or do anything these past 3 weeks.
I don't know about Sunday, but I know that if you take it Monday or Tuesday, you need to wait four Wednesdays, but if you take it Wed-Fri, it's only three Wednesdays. Luckily, I'm taking mine on a Friday. That also means after I finish the exam, I won't go out partying or anything 🙂
I pretty much forgot about this topic and coming back here to follow up with my score. I got my score back on July 11th but was already in the swing of my OB/Gyn clerkship and things were in a whirlwind of clerkships since then, so it kind of slipped my mind.
Here is what I did for prep and how I felt about the test on test day:
Scores leading up to the test:
How I felt about test day:
Actual results: 265
Thanks for the help I received from reading these forums for prep and gl to everyone still going to take it and those already in their clinical years.
Here is what I did for prep and how I felt about the test on test day:
Well, I really listened to the 3rd years at my school who said to "focus hard" on 2nd year material. Particularly, I put a lot into path and micro (path is weighted more at my school anyway so I guess it was a good investment 😀 ).
I bought the Rx question bank early in 2nd year. I don't hear that much talk about it, but it is really nice because it forces you to pay attention to little details in first aid through the year. I also read FA and RR through my 2nd year with my classes. I added little notes to FA of stuff I thought seemed generally important and not something real specific for the topic or whatever the lecturer thought was important.
The only thing I really added extra during the school year was behavioral sciences because my school does a horrible job on BS/epidemiology.
I did DIT (and I know I might get flamed for this, but...), which I felt really just reads you FA. I think that is good though because it really forces you to pay attention to those little details in FA that your brain has a tendency to start skimming through. I again made little notes in FA of stuff they really emphasized and marked down anything that they said was "4 or 5 star topics". While I did DIT I started Uworld. I also did Anki flash cards, that program is amazing--I wish I had found it in second year. There is a FA HY with DIT updates on the shared decks. I added some of my own decks as well (like sphingolipidoses and lots of other biochem and embryo stuff which just seems to be recall).
At the end of DIT I did my first NBME, then spent the next 7ish days really hitting my lowest 7 subjects hard and doing more Uworld. Took my Next NBME and did the same thing (lowest 5 or so subjects) with more Uworld.
Then I did a 1 week read through of FA (that was Jenkin's advice to do a pretest week go through of FA--Seemed like pretty solid advice to me), paying attention to my notes and what not. I also took little notes of the "lower yield" stuff and things that didn't really seem to "stick" on paper and started off each day with reading the prior 2 days notes.
Finished that then did the free 150. The last 2 days I've been reviewing my marked questions in Uworld. I marked anything I got wrong, pictures (too keep them fresh in my mind), ethics questions and anything I felt like I didn't understand why I got right.
Day before I'm looking over my tabs in FA of stuff I've marked as "5 stars" and some of the tables I've tabbed (like the PTH/Ca/PO4 table in bone, etc).
Scores leading up to the test:
NBME 11 4 weeks out-254 (640)
NBME 12 2.5 weeks out-273 (720)
Overall Uworld--79% (random, timed, first time)--261 prediction
Finished Uworld @1.5 weeks out (my last 10 tests, which were random, timed, first time)--84%--265+
Free 150 3 days out (today)---95% which according to medfriends is 270 +/-11.
How I felt about test day:
I feel really good right now. I don't know if that is good or bad, lol.
I felt like the test was fair. Biochem, embryo and pharm really seemed on my test, to be simple first order questions. Either you had the knowledge there or you didn't. I definitely recommend Anki for these subjects. Sit down and make your own cards for it as you go through first aid then hit them hard. When you think you are finally comfortable with them and like 1.5 months between seeing cards, reset your deck and force yourself to go through again--no matter how tortuous. Those subjects really are just wrote memorization and knowledge vomiting. If you use Anki to know that stuff back to front and front to back you'll look forward to those questions.
The anatomy wasn't too bad. Definietly FA was sufficient for anatomy. The only thing I might have done differently with anatomy was memorize the individual roots that make up each nerve of the brachial plexus. There were a couple questions on that where knowing that would have solved the problem sooner. However, they gave you so many symptoms that if you knew your innervations from the BP you could reason through, albiet that took more time.
The neurology, which I was dreading despite my scores in practice material, was really straightforward. Nothing overly tricky. Seemed again, to be lots of 1, maybe 2 step reasoning. Some simple "identify this structure" type questions and 1 or 2 localize a lesion.
Behavioral science was also straightforward. There was really only 1 ethics question that I was somewhat indecisive about as a 50/50. The calculations were simple. They weren't tricky at all. They didn't rearrange the tables (like Uworld did) with disease/test columns. 2 questions were straight off an NBME or free 150. If you follow that Kaplan behavioral science guy's rules and do Uworld you should be pretty good for behavioral science.
Really there was only 5 or 6 questions I had that involved something I'd never heard of before. But after I calmed down, I realized they were just using unfamiliar things to test a easy concept. Like say for instance if you understood cancer promoters/initiators.
There was only 1 question of something that I knew I didn't cover in any of the review books, FA or DIT--but I remembered it from virology in undergrad.
It was true what they say about images on the exam. I don't think I had a single image question you couldn't have got from the passage, however I reviewed all my Uworld images and some select RR/FA images in the 2 days prior to the test. So all of them I recognized right away and felt good about just using the passage to confirm what I thought.
As far as strategy, I would read the last line of a question (unless it was really short), scan the answers then go back through and scan the passage. There were only a couple of times I really had to read the question thoroughly. In fact a couple of times the keyword giveaways were so ridiculously obvious I reread the question to make sure it wasn't some kind of trick.
In terms of overall difficulty, I felt it was way, way easier than Uworld. I felt like probably 50-60% of the test was on par with the free 150. The questions themselves were long and they love to add lots of vitals and lab values, but don't get bogged down in those. Very few times were they necessary and when they were, it seemed you knew what you needed to be looking for. For example MCV because you were suspecting B12 deficiency anemia or something. I never set out to memorize any normal values, but by time I had gone through all my review material, Rx and Uworld, I found it was pretty easy to know when a lab was off. That saved some time. I think I only had to open the lab values a couple times.
Timing wasn't bad at all. I think I picked up like 12-14 minutes of break time on the first two blocks. After those I took a short break and was feeling really jacked up still so I did two more blocks before taking a break to eat lunch. For the last 3 blocks I took 10 minute break between them, even though I didn't feel like I didn't need--I wanted to make sure my mind had a little break and wasn't going to get too fatigued. The check in time was slow at the test center. It seemed to take them a long time to mess with the computers, so if you are planning on using like 2 breaks with all your break time make sure you return a few minutes early to account for any delays in checking back in.
I pretty much just "browse" ate, food wise. I'd eat something little on each break. I just took a large variety of foods with me. Crackers, fruit, sandwich, snickers bars, granola bars, diet Mt dew and water. I figured it was better to have too much and a variety, than to crave something or be hungry.
Hopefully it went good, I'll post up the score here in a couple of weeks when we get it back for correlation purposes.
Actual results: 265
Thanks for the help I received from reading these forums for prep and gl to everyone still going to take it and those already in their clinical years.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 853