Step I Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Started by amavir281
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amavir281

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw that there was a similar thread for 2011 that had plenty of useful info so I figured its best to start one for 2012. 👍
 
Thanks a lot for the help. Best post around here in months, quite honestly. And congrats on the exam. I've gotta ask though: did you secretly think you were going to get higher than 265? Or were you really just not sure?

I've also gotta ask: what happened on NBME12? Was that exam particularly easy or something? Or was it just a question-allotment that hit your strengths?

I notice you finished the last ~10 blocks of UWorld at ~84% @ 1.5 wks-out. What did you get on the UWSAs?

-------

Sorry for the 21 questions. I'd really appreciate the advice/help though.
 
Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the help. Best post around here in months, quite honestly. And congrats on the exam. I've gotta ask though: did you secretly think you were going to get higher than 265? Or were you really just not sure?

I've also gotta ask: what happened on NBME12? Was that exam particularly easy or something? Or was it just a question-allotment that hit your strengths?

I notice you finished the last ~10 blocks of UWorld at ~84% @ 1.5 wks-out. What did you get on the UWSAs?

-------

Sorry for the 21 questions. I'd really appreciate the advice/help though.

Hey phloston how were the UWSA in your opinion? do they overestimate ones resutls? how did you end up doing on them
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Short review. Took the Step 1 yesterday. Very few long stems, no unnecessary vitals. Basic anatomy. No complicated molecular biology. No WTF questions. Mostly stupidly direct questions (along the lines of, what is the virulence factor of an organism causing sepsis in asplenia). Very little to think through, if it was a mesothelioma then the patient was a retired construction worker and the specimen had thickened pleura and EM showed long tonofilaments. Had exact repeats from the NBMEs and even the Free150. Was a boring 8hrs, I had more fun doing NBME12+UWSA1. Anyway, I'm done. Hopefully the result will be out on 7th November. Of course going by what people have said, the easier the exam the less generous the scoring so I'm going keep shut until it's out.

So those who are worried about the kind of questions on the exam, visit India for a soothing experience. If you can stand the sound of the construction work that was happening next door.
 
Took the exam today!! And I am having so many mixed feelings!! Some questions were so easy it was as if they are just checking to see if I am awake!! And some questions are so tricky, that it makes you think if you have prepared for this exam properly! Right now I feel like I might have passed BARELY. I had a lot of marked questions in each block. So that is never a good sign! I didn't feel like there were that many "experimental" questions. Every question was based on something that I should have known, it wasn't something completely random that I hadn't heard in my life before. That being said, that doesn't mean that I was able to get the correct answers for all the questions!! So now the horrible wait begins...I can't wait to get the result. I keep thinking I failed!! As of now, all the hopes of getting an average score are gone, right now I am just hoping that I passed!!!
 
I took the exam yesterday, here are some thoughts:

1) A lot of the questions appear very difficult on the surface (I was asked why heparin is used when starting warfarin - but none of the answers were "because protein C has a short half life" but indirectly it was in one of the answers), but the concept is tied up in the one of the answers. I promise!

2) The anatomy is tricky. I think I had a total of about 15-20 anatomy questions total ranging from which lymph nodes does this cancer go to? To here is an MRI of a leg - identify this muscle. Know your brachial plexus, 3 of my questions were directly from lesions to the arm.

3) There was a lot of Pharm on my test - I would guess 10 per section. A lot of it was straight forward. Which is this drug? Some of it more difficult - here is a micro question what is the MOA of the drug used to treat it?

4) My microbiology was very interesting. I would say there were about 2 "what is its envelope / DNA structure type questions" a lot of them were "What is this?" Some of them were quite difficult and were not the traditional appearance but they always gave you enough information that if you understood the characteristics about the bug then you could determine the cause (only 2-3 really tricky ones total).

5) Physiology - you better know this inside and out. This, in my opinion, was where they really challenged you. They will give you a syndrome and ask what will happen to 3 of the variables (such as LH, FSH, Est for a woman) - and they will give you all 8 possibilities as answers. You really just need to know the answer can't really use process of elimination to help yourself there.

6) Heme / Onc REALLY STRAIGHT FORWARD everything was 100% text book case and they would ask "which chromosome" or for a renal cell CA I was asked "which Gene?"

7) Images - I think there were only 1/2 where I had to really look at the image to see what was happening. Most of the time the images were not necessary. For instance, a woman with heavy menstrual bleeding would have a picture of hypochromic anemia ----duuuuuuh. Or post transplant pneumonia....

8) Heart sounds - Absolutely cool. It was nice that they showed the carotid arteries move on every pulse (ie. systole no guessing which one is S1 or S2). I ended up taking this test at the end of my 3rd year and I can tell you - it was way easier on this test than in real life. 2nd - I had 3 and my friend had 4 and in the n=7 population, neither one of us needed the image. We had a diagnosis straight from the question stem.

9) When given a weird experiment that some scientist did make sure you take a second and ask yourself "what the eff are the asking?" Don't just jump straight to the data. I had 1/2 where the first time I read it I was thinking...the heck?!?!? But if you take an extra minute and really figure out what the test is looking at the answer just jumps out at you. Dont worry you will have time at the end to finish questions.

10) There will be questions that when you look at them you will think to yourself - yup no idea. There were some on my test that asked "which p450 isoenzyme is used for this" and the answers were "2d6,2d9,3a4, etc." Or here is a disease that I'm sure you have never seen before but none of the other ones make sense so I'm going to guess that. In the end, I really doubt those count significantly towards your score so dont freak out when you dont know the weird hormone elevation when a person has a strange disease.

Overall I think the HARDEST part of the test was endurance. Its an 8 hour test and there towards the end I could definitely feel my brain starting to rot. Make sure you save some break time for the end. And relax, the test is a lot easier than you think it is - most of the questions have simple answers written in strange ways. Don't freak out when the text book answer isn't there.

NBME 11: 6 weeks out 255
NBME 13: 4 weeks out 263

I took the test my school offered pre-studying 4 months out - and got a 186. I only studied for this test for dedicated full time for 7 weeks. I felt that was more than enough - way more than enough.
I'll post my score when I get it back. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

For those who don't want to read any further into the future. -269 was my score.
 
Last edited:
I took the exam yesterday, here are some thoughts:

1) A lot of the questions appear very difficult on the surface (I was asked why heparin is used when starting warfarin - but none of the answers were "because protein C has a short half life" but indirectly it was in one of the answers), but the concept is tied up in the one of the answers. I promise!

2) The anatomy is tricky. I think I had a total of about 15-20 anatomy questions total ranging from which lymph nodes does this cancer go to? To here is an MRI of a leg - identify this muscle. Know your brachial plexus, 3 of my questions were directly from lesions to the arm.

3) There was a lot of Pharm on my test - I would guess 10 per section. A lot of it was straight forward. Which is this drug? Some of it more difficult - here is a micro question what is the MOA of the drug used to treat it?

4) My microbiology was very interesting. I would say there were about 2 "what is its envelope / DNA structure type questions" a lot of them were "What is this?" Some of them were quite difficult and were not the traditional appearance but they always gave you enough information that if you understood the characteristics about the bug then you could determine the cause (only 2-3 really tricky ones total).

5) Physiology - you better know this inside and out. This, in my opinion, was where they really challenged you. They will give you a syndrome and ask what will happen to 3 of the variables (such as LH, FSH, Est for a woman) - and they will give you all 8 possibilities as answers. You really just need to know the answer can't really use process of elimination to help yourself there.

6) Heme / Onc REALLY STRAIGHT FORWARD everything was 100% text book case and they would ask "which chromosome" or for a renal cell CA I was asked "which Gene?"

7) Images - I think there were only 1/2 where I had to really look at the image to see what was happening. Most of the time the images were not necessary. For instance, a woman with heavy menstrual bleeding would have a picture of hypochromic anemia ----duuuuuuh. Or post transplant pneumonia....

8) Heart sounds - Absolutely cool. It was nice that they showed the carotid arteries move on every pulse (ie. systole no guessing which one is S1 or S2). I ended up taking this test at the end of my 3rd year and I can tell you - it was way easier on this test than in real life. 2nd - I had 3 and my friend had 4 and in the n=7 population, neither one of us needed the image. We had a diagnosis straight from the question stem.

9) When given a weird experiment that some scientist did make sure you take a second and ask yourself "what the eff are the asking?" Don't just jump straight to the data. I had 1/2 where the first time I read it I was thinking...the heck?!?!? But if you take an extra minute and really figure out what the test is looking at the answer just jumps out at you. Dont worry you will have time at the end to finish questions.

10) There will be questions that when you look at them you will think to yourself - yup no idea. There were some on my test that asked "which p450 isoenzyme is used for this" and the answers were "2d6,2d9,3a4, etc." Or here is a disease that I'm sure you have never seen before but none of the other ones make sense so I'm going to guess that. In the end, I really doubt those count significantly towards your score so dont freak out when you dont know the weird hormone elevation when a person has a strange disease.

Overall I think the HARDEST part of the test was endurance. Its an 8 hour test and there towards the end I could definitely feel my brain starting to rot. Make sure you save some break time for the end. And relax, the test is a lot easier than you think it is - most of the questions have simple answers written in strange ways. Don't freak out when the text book answer isn't there.

NBME 11: 6 weeks out 255
NBME 13: 4 weeks out 263

I took the test my school offered pre-studying 4 months out - and got a 186. I only studied for this test for dedicated full time for 7 weeks. I felt that was more than enough - way more than enough.
I'll post my score when I get it back. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

hi there ,hw much is the highest score in step 1 u shd get.
 
Ok, long time lurker on this forum, just got out of step 1 and thought I should retribute with my turn at the famous Step 1.
Background: IMG, hoping for a possible General Surgery residency
Study time: about a year low intensity, stepped up the pace drastically for about 2 months.
Did Kaplan Step 1 Classroom anywhere in the first semester.
Did DIT2012 last month.
UWORLD S1: 580/236 (Before final 2 months)
Kaplan Simulation: 78%
Kaplan Qbank average: 81% (finished about 50%)
UWORLD QBank first time, random pass: 96% completed, my steady average was 75% until the 2 last weeks, it which I bumped up to 79%.
NMBE13: 640/254 (1 week before)
UWORLD S2: (Weekend before test) 800/265

I just finished the real thing, didn't really feel it was too terrible, but subjective preliminary feelings after a test don't have any predictive value whatsoever. Have read plenty of stories of People walking out of Step 1 thinking they aced it and then getting a final score way below their simulations and averages. I can just cross my fingers and hope I didn't fall for too many of NMBE's tricks! All in all, it seemed like a long awaited end game after having the goal of the Step 1 for so long, finally getting to met the real deal!
I'll update once I get my score.


Ok, just got my score report on the real deal:
263/90
🙂🙂

VERY relieved, I was really hoping for anything > 260.
My advice for the last days before the test: Read FA cover to cover. If you can, more then once.
Keep up the good work all that have the test coming up, you're almost there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Another long time creeper posting for the first time 🙂

So I took the exam on 10/25 and was super confident walking out, but like so many before me as time passes my confidence is deteriorating so I will come here to have some one pat my back and tell me things will be Ok. I am really worried because my actual test felt so easy it is disconcerting.

BACKGROUND:

Exam prep: the usual suspects (FA, Pathoma, Kaplan videos, UW and Kaplan Qbank, homemade flash cards from basic science classes)

Pre-Test numbers:
UWQB- 64% overall (with a 70% last few weeks), all unused, random, timed
KaplanQB- 63% overall (with a 76% average in the last few weeks, but I finished this Qbank about a month before I finished UW, also random and timed)
NBME basic science exam given by school: 240
NBME 7 (2 months out)- 230
NBME 12 (2 1/2 weeks out)- 222 (yes, I cried)
NBME 11 (4 days out) 240
Kaplan full length practice (1 1/2 weeks out) 64% (supposed 238) ***one VERY important thing I learned from this full length that no one seems to talk about is break pacing and eating plan. Seems stupid, but it showed me that while my average was high for the first 6 blocks (60's and 70's), my block 7 average was 51%. I remember during block 7 going cross eyed trying to read the questions not because they were hard but because my brain was running on empty. I didn't take in anything with calories after my break after block 4. On the actual day of Step1 I made sure I had multiple vitamin waters, candy, and sugar free red bull. I had a little of each on all my breaks and it made a HUGE difference. I felt sharp all the way through block 7. Also had a solid breakfast day of. Something to consider.......

Anyways, Actual Step 1 exam:
I was shocked. It felt so freakin' easy. WAY easier than any UW exam or NBME. It was very straight forward with lots of buzz words. Micro was almost a joke it was so easy. My exam was heavy on Path and Anatomy (good for me, both are my strong points), pharm was almost word for word out of FA, and the was next to no physio on my exam. The only section that was tricky was Behavioral Science (especially the ethics questions, I felt like there were no right answers) but I maybe had 10 behavioral questions total? And I only really had 3 WTF questions on the whole test. I also had a fair number of questions that required in depth knowledge of laboratory techniques likes PCR, blotting, creating c-DNA libraries, and a couple recombinant genetics monsters (again, not a problem, I learned most of this doing undergrad research, but heads up for anyone else who is not super familiar with how these work)

My strategy has always been to flag any question I am not 100% sure about in each section, count them up at the end of a section and assume I got all flags wrong. This gives me a rough idea of what my lowest possible score should be. I left the test with 43 flags out of 322. So I should be about 85% correct right?

I don't know what to think. There is no way that test should have been so easy. Now I am worried it is going to get wicked curved and I will end up sub 220.

Anyone else who has taken Step 1 have a similar experience? If so how did it turn out for you?

I'll report back in 3 Wednesdays
 
I dont like the inconsistency of this exam. Some say its straight-forward and word for word from First Aid and others say First Aid would just help you barely pass and there were a good chuck (40%) that was beyond First Aid/UWorld. To be honest I dont think the curve is much different. When I took the MCAT, I had a horrible test which was well beyond even a med student; I knew i did poorly so I signed up for another test after the grace period without preparing and got a super easy one. Scores came up and I got near perfect science scores on the second test and 10s on the first (I probably knew less material the second time around as well). I think standardized tests are so stupid-they are totally not standardized.
 
I dont like the inconsistency of this exam. Some say its straight-forward and word for word from First Aid and others say First Aid would just help you barely pass and there were a good chuck (40%) that was beyond First Aid/UWorld. To be honest I dont think the curve is much different. When I took the MCAT, I had a horrible test which was well beyond even a med student; I knew i did poorly so I signed up for another test after the grace period without preparing and got a super easy one. Scores came up and I got near perfect science scores on the second test and 10s on the first (I probably knew less material the second time around as well). I think standardized tests are so stupid-they are totally not standardized.

Haha, I know what you mean. I feel the same way. These exams are based so much on one's luck. But that's the way it is and we can't change it. Its one of those things in life that's not really fair, but we have no other choice.
 
Much of it is based on your own experiences and strengths, too. There were tests in school I thought were cake and others thought they were difficult, and vice versa.
 
So, at this point I have taken all NBME's- since June. (study time 9mths- yes, I know way too much!) NBME 11,12,13, and 7 within the past 2 months and only barely passing- but consistent. 1st round U world (50% overall) In summary, (Pushed test back- re-registered, and took a 3 week "re-group" break. Now, I have gotten back into it all) I have re-started world and I am half way done with it- over all average 65%. I am doing 2 blocks of 46 questions a day and getting about a 72% daily (timed/unused/all subjects). (I have completed in my 9 months: DIT videos and notes, FA-3 times (going on 4), goljan RR & audio, HY neuro, HY biostats, Pathoma video + book (x2), BRS pharm and micro notecards, plus self notes. Because I have already completed all NBME's and USMLE-SA's 1&2 - what should I do now for a practice test?? I thought about re-doing NBME 6 b/c that was taken back in June- or should I take USMLE SA-1, since that was taken in the spring? I am at a loss b/c I need to see where I stand, but I don't want to get false hope from a test I have already completed. I have put off taking any practices since my break b/c the scores are discouraging- but its that time again....& I would like to take 2 more practices before my test, during this final stretch. I just want to make sure I am still passing, b/c at this point I'm just ready to finish! Any help/advice/past similar experience is appreciated! Thanks!
 
I think its a quality over quantity problem. Instead of spreading yourself thin and doing loads of problems and reading tons of sources, try learning one source really well. Regardless if its First Aid, UWorld, Pathoma, or Golian--its all the same material and spending the time and learning it well will help you a lot. Just my 2cents.
 
That was the hardest test I have ever seen in my entire life. Less than 20% of my exam could be answered with either First Aid or Uworld. I averaged a 76% on Uworld and got a 247 on my last NBME and I am unsure if I even got above 210. It was more of an IQ test than a knowledge based exam.

Goljian was my only savior in many of the questions and I would have honestly have failed if I hadnt memorized RR path before I memorized FA.

Yes, 90% of the NBME as well as UWorld can be answered using FA but don't think it will help you if you get a test like mine. I got a lot of step 2 material I did not expect to see on my exam, rare diseases, and a couple of normal findings.

I wish I didnt remember the test so well. I keep running the question in my head and the mistakes keep sticking out like a sore thumb. 🙁

I'll answer any questions if anyone wants.
 
That was the hardest test I have ever seen in my entire life. Less than 20% of my exam could be answered with either First Aid or Uworld. I averaged a 76% on Uworld and got a 247 on my last NBME and I am unsure if I even got above 210. It was more of an IQ test than a knowledge based exam.

Goljian was my only savior in many of the questions and I would have honestly have failed if I hadnt memorized RR path before I memorized FA.

Yes, 90% of the NBME as well as UWorld can be answered using FA but don't think it will help you if you get a test like mine. I got a lot of step 2 material I did not expect to see on my exam, rare diseases, and a couple of normal findings.

I wish I didnt remember the test so well. I keep running the question in my head and the mistakes keep sticking out like a sore thumb. 🙁

I'll answer any questions if anyone wants.

How can an exam that is intended for students at the end of second year of medical school have step 2 / clinical stuff? That doesn't even make sense.

I don't even think there is that much material outside of FA that can be tested from the first two years syllabus.

You posted this earlier in this thread:
I am taking my exam in a few days. I feel really burnt out and discouraged. I just took NBME 13 and didnt do as I had hoped for. I definitely know the material to do well, but I just keep making stupid mistakes. Hopefully, the NBMEs are not as accurate as people claim them to be. Here's to getting lucky with a good test! 🙂

I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe you didn't actually know the material well enough and that was the reason for the low score on the NBME?

Anyway, I hope your score doesn't reflect your impression at the end of the test and you end up scoring high. Do keep us updated.
 
That was the hardest test I have ever seen in my entire life. Less than 20% of my exam could be answered with either First Aid or Uworld. I averaged a 76% on Uworld and got a 247 on my last NBME and I am unsure if I even got above 210. It was more of an IQ test than a knowledge based exam.

Goljian was my only savior in many of the questions and I would have honestly have failed if I hadnt memorized RR path before I memorized FA.

Yes, 90% of the NBME as well as UWorld can be answered using FA but don't think it will help you if you get a test like mine. I got a lot of step 2 material I did not expect to see on my exam, rare diseases, and a couple of normal findings.

I wish I didnt remember the test so well. I keep running the question in my head and the mistakes keep sticking out like a sore thumb. 🙁

I'll answer any questions if anyone wants.

The NBMEs are fairly specific. Don't worry. You did better than you realize. In fact, you likely got very close to your NBME score, if not having surpassed it.

How can an exam that is intended for students at the end of second year of medical school have step 2 / clinical stuff? That doesn't even make sense.

I don't even think there is that much material outside of FA that can be tested from the first two years syllabus.

You posted this earlier in this thread:


I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe you didn't actually know the material well enough and that was the reason for the low score on the NBME?

Anyway, I hope your score doesn't reflect your impression at the end of the test and you end up scoring high. Do keep us updated.

It's well-known that they throw ungraded Step1 questions on the 2CK exam to see which subjects students flake on over time (I've read an article online that specifically talks about this). Chances are, the ungraded experimental questions on Step1 aren't obscure molecular biology ones (I believe these are the real deal), but instead 2CK material, where they want to see how the MS1/2 curriculum is evolving to incorporate clinical material. That's why some people come out saying they didn't know anything, that "I now just hope I got even a 210," and in turn get above their projected score.

--> Btw, I say all of this now, but after my exam and I'm freaking out, I'll hope my own words are true.
 
That's why some people come out saying they didn't know anything, that "I now just hope I got even a 210," and in turn get above their projected score.

--> Btw, I say all of this now, but after my exam and I'm freaking out, I'll hope my own words are true.
And those that didn't come out thinking/saying that? What time will I know whether or not my score is coming out today?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll explain myself better because I don't want to freak people out. The exam was similar to the MCAT in respect that you needed to know the bare minimum knowledge and apply it in unusual situations to figure out the answer. I was able to get a lot of my answers correct because i thought, choices A-C doesnt make sense and E has to be the answer because why else would they had that information. I had NO idea that E causes the disease and its beyond the scope of step 1 to know that but it is in the scope of step 1 to know what answer choice E is and its not hard to reason it out with your limited knowledge.

Having random knowledge of a lot of stuff did help me but only very very little. Like knowing what Bechet's disease was on the answer choices allowed me to cross it out right away or because they are talking about a super rare congenital dermatological disorder I knew I was able to answer what protein was missing. Would it be possible to answer it without knowing that super rare disease? Yes, but what's the point of studying? You only needed very little medical knowledge, understand a few concepts were essential the most important part of the test.

I think FA is a good way to organize your thoughts and jot down your notes, but I think what helped me the most was understand symptoms (e.g. sharp pain = inflammation) and not just appendicitis = sharp pain.

Btw I had a good number of straight histopathology with very little clinical information, 7 murmurs (none of the usual ones), 6 EKG readings (FA was ok for this), and 2 listening to heart sounds.

I lost a TON of my questions from ANATOMY. Fortunately it wasnt a huge part of my test, but again <20% can be found in FA.
 
The NBMEs are fairly specific. Don't worry. You did better than you realize. In fact, you likely got very close to your NBME score, if not having surpassed it.
.

Hey Phloston ...Do you have a rough idea about how many questions can we do wrong and still make it to 265 on the real exam ??.

By the way ... I am new poster from India and I took my exam today in New Delhi .I ended up marking around 26 questions in entire exam and I checked the answers and I think I did around 11 of them wrong ...🙂 .
 
Hey Phloston ...Do you have a rough idea about how many questions can we do wrong and still make it to 265 on the real exam ??.

By the way ... I am new poster from India and I took my exam today in New Delhi .I ended up marking around 26 questions in entire exam and I checked the answers and I think I did around 11 of them wrong ...🙂 .

lol missing only 11 would be like 280+
 
Hey Phloston ...Do you have a rough idea about how many questions can we do wrong and still make it to 265 on the real exam ??.

By the way ... I am new poster from India and I took my exam today in New Delhi .I ended up marking around 26 questions in entire exam and I checked the answers and I think I did around 11 of them wrong ...🙂 .

It really depends on the person. Some people mark liberally while others don't. Everyone also guaranteed gets a fair number of questions wrong that he or she hadn't marked. But yeah, if you did in fact get 11 wrong on the whole test, you're talking an easy 270+. My exam is in 5 weeks. If I come out of the exam having only marked 26, I'd be very very happy. So I hope things went well for you.

lol missing only 11 would be like 280+

Crazy enough, I actually do think that's a bit of an over-statement. Although none of us really know, my guess would be that a 280+ would be no more than one wrong per block (so 7 or fewer wrong on the whole test).
 
It really depends on the person. Some people mark liberally while others don't. Everyone also guaranteed gets a fair number of questions wrong that he or she hadn't marked. But yeah, if you did in fact get 11 wrong on the whole test, you're talking an easy 270+. My exam is in 5 weeks. If I come out of the exam having only marked 26, I'd be very very happy. So I hope things went well for you.

.

Thanks Phloston , Exam it self was not very hard ...there were 2 questions on concepts which I have not seen before and was not able to narrow down to two choices, I made two really stupid mistakes and rest of them were easily down to two choices .

there was a lot of molecular on my exam which could be easily deduced if you know basic concepts on translation/ transcription. there were some graphs and few Biostats question which were tricky .some repeat questions from kaplan qbank and uworld too .
it was more like nbme 13 perhaps a little easier than that. 🙂
 
Last edited:
lol missing only 11 would be like 280+

there was a IMG dude on an Orkut community for Usmle ( thats the Google old social network) sometimes back ..He did 276 on step 1 .I remember him saying that he made around 6 known mistakes in exam ..So not sure how accurate your statement would be . 🙂
 
there was a IMG dude on an Orkut community for Usmle ( thats the Google old social network) sometimes back ..He did 276 on step 1 .I remember him saying that he made around 6 known mistakes in exam ..So not sure how accurate your statement would be . 🙂

Lol...Pholston and others know the dude. I'm assuming it's Pollux. Look up his post and it might be him.
 
- NBME 7 2.5months out 82% ~ 510/224
- UWSA 2 1.5 months out 82% ~ 770263
- NBME 13 2 weeks out 92.5% ~ 650/257
- NBME 2, 4, 5, 6 (offline) in the following days ~ between 90-95%. I couldn't replicate strict test conditions for various reaons.
- NBME 11 9 days out 98% ~ 720/273
- NBME 3 8 days out 92.5%. Again, couldn't replicate testing conditions.
- NBME 12 and UWSA1 5 days out 97.5% ~ 710/271 and 86% ~ 800/265+ (was quite burnt out)
- Free150 1 day out 94% ~ 268 (couldn't give it very serious attention, being just 1 day out)

Score: 259/89. So much for score prediction. That's why I'm pretty bummed I only got 259 even though I got a 259. I'm happy I broke 250. Sure, I wish I'd done much better but it is what it is, and it is still a good score.

Funny part is I didn't think the test was hard at all, and had no mistakes on any questions I could remember. If the scores really are adjusted, I guess getting an easy test is a double edged sword, you can score high but you can't score high

Thank you for all the help and advice floating around on this forum. Sorry to let you down Phloston, I guess I'm not 260+/270 material haha.
 
- NBME 7 2.5months out 82% ~ 510/224
- UWSA 2 1.5 months out 82% ~ 770263
- NBME 13 2 weeks out 92.5% ~ 650/257
- NBME 2, 4, 5, 6 (offline) in the following days ~ between 90-95%. I couldn't replicate strict test conditions for various reaons.
- NBME 11 9 days out 98% ~ 720/273
- NBME 3 8 days out 92.5%. Again, couldn't replicate testing conditions.
- NBME 12 and UWSA1 5 days out 97.5% ~ 710/271 and 86% ~ 800/265+ (was quite burnt out)
- Free150 1 day out 94% ~ 268 (couldn't give it very serious attention, being just 1 day out)

Score: 259/89. So much for score prediction. That's why I'm pretty bummed I only got 259 even though I got a 259. I'm happy I broke 250. Sure, I wish I'd done much better but it is what it is, and it is still a good score.

Funny part is I didn't think the test was hard at all, and had no mistakes on any questions I could remember. If the scores really are adjusted, I guess getting an easy test is a double edged sword, you can score high but you can't score high

Listen man, solid score. You and I both are the type to freak out because we're always pushing ourselves. Regardless, after about 3-4 days go by, you're going to realize that you'll still land a great residency, and you will be happy. Remember, on a deeper level, it's the internal validation you've acquired from having put so much dedication forth that truly builds your professional character, and I don't doubt that your career will unravel favorably for you.

On the other hand, I do recall you having spoken of a "formula" for calculating NBME scores. Had you used that for NBMEs 11 and 12, or had you sat those exams on the actual website?

Your exam experience reminds me of NBME5. I thought I practically got a 100 on it and only got a 257. In that sense, sitting the USMLE is essentially an inevitable catch-22: easy or hard I don't think we'll ever be in a position to relax.

Once again, keep your head up, and great job.
 
It's like this, put into context of residency application, I'm very happy. It might change if I don't get any interviews, but that remains to be seen - being an FMG complicates everything immeasurably. But I guess those 2 270 scores gave me the idea that I would break 260 and hence predictably I was disappointed to see that I didn't because I really did study for this exam. Anyway, on to Step 2, hopefully the trend that people outdo Step 1 by 10-20 points holds good for me.

I sat 7, 11, 12 and 13 online. Even with the number correct*1.39 formula you get the same 3 digit scores for all of them. The older NBMEs don't follow this formula from what I've seen you post.
 
- NBME 7 2.5months out 82% ~ 510/224
- UWSA 2 1.5 months out 82% ~ 770263
- NBME 13 2 weeks out 92.5% ~ 650/257
- NBME 2, 4, 5, 6 (offline) in the following days ~ between 90-95%. I couldn't replicate strict test conditions for various reaons.
- NBME 11 9 days out 98% ~ 720/273
- NBME 3 8 days out 92.5%. Again, couldn't replicate testing conditions.
- NBME 12 and UWSA1 5 days out 97.5% ~ 710/271 and 86% ~ 800/265+ (was quite burnt out)
- Free150 1 day out 94% ~ 268 (couldn't give it very serious attention, being just 1 day out)

Score: 259/89. So much for score prediction. That's why I'm pretty bummed I only got 259 even though I got a 259. I'm happy I broke 250. Sure, I wish I'd done much better but it is what it is, and it is still a good score.

Funny part is I didn't think the test was hard at all, and had no mistakes on any questions I could remember. If the scores really are adjusted, I guess getting an easy test is a double edged sword, you can score high but you can't score high

Thank you for all the help and advice floating around on this forum. Sorry to let you down Phloston, I guess I'm not 260+/270 material haha.
great score.
I just wanted to ask if you think burn-out was a huge factor for the score descrepency between nbme and the real deal?
 
I would break my alcohol abstinence for that score, congrats.
Haha thanks. I would've thought one would say they would abstain from alcohol forever for that score. But you're doing that already, and it's no small feat I'm sure.

great score.
I just wanted to ask if you think burn-out was a huge factor for the score descrepency between nbme and the real deal?
Well honestly, I don't know. The burn-out I mentioned 5 days before the exam was for that assessment, because I did both of them back to back - 8hrs of questions. I couldn't really study that last week before the exam, I was sick of looking at FA. But the Free150 the day before predicted 268 so I felt I was still on track. During the exam I went over marked questions 4-5 times and the entire block twice. I don't know what kind of mistakes I made, because like I said, there were none in the questions I could remember. At the end of the day the scoring system is an enigma. My personal experience didn't fit the trend, that's all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since people are asking about my study plan, here it is:

May, Jun, Jul: KLN + videos alongside internship work (0-4hrs study time/day)
Aug: First pass of FA alongside KLN adding in details I thought were important, and RR + Pathoma videos. Inserted a few pages on 2nd messengers, cerebellar architecture and function, brain stem sections and lesions, Alzheimers, etc. A lot of it turned out to be in excess of requirements. A little bit of UWorld subjectwise.
Sep (1st half): UWorld timed random.
Sep (2nd half): FA review (2nd pass). I made notes of all points I couldn't remember, and tagged pages that I deemed important. All of this was used for the selective 2nd review. Also flipped through BRS anatomy and physiology, Netter's clinical anatomy, Snell neuroanatomy.

Oct-exam: Offline NBMEs, FA 2nd review (selective), UWorld marked+incorrect

UWorld:
Aug: I did 21 subjectwise + 25 random UWorld questions while doing general topics from FA, and 23 subjectwise while doing systems (2 systems together). I would do them the day after reading that topic. Did about 7-8 blocks of this.
UWSA2 before "properly" starting UWorld.
Sep:2 weeks of UWorld timed, random. 2 blocks a day for the first 2 days and then 3 blocks a day.
UWSA1 with NBME12 5 days before exam.

I noted down all my UWorld errors but I noted down the mistake in thought process and correct process rather than the errors/correct answers. I also made 2 sets of screenshots of my NBME incorrects - 1 set with answers marked and a brief explanation.

Other resources used: TeamRads, Queen's university radiology, bioon.com neuroanatomical gross sections.
 
Thanks, that's useful.
How did you organize your study day in the last weeks? I'm assuming you combined UW with FA review so I was wondering which one you preffered to do in the morning and approx. how many hours/day you dedicated to each.
 
Any suggestions for avoiding burnout?

I'm running into this "problem" at the moment, which isn't convenient because I'm 5 weeks-out.

I've found that, similar to just committing to going to the gym, for instance, committing to just having a physical presence in the library for a minimum of 8 hours per day is a good starting point. Taking action to avert the burnout is more important than just thinking about how to avoid it. This past week has been rough for me, and I've only been getting in around 6-7 hrs/day of real studying. I'm trying to get back into gear though because this is no time to flake.

In terms of maintaining social sanity at the moment (considering I have no external time to see friends), I make it an obligation to introduce myself to three new people every day at the library. When I get to ~2.5 weeks-out, I'll transition into minimum 10-hr days. And I don't believe in tapering off. When you ran the mile in high school, did you slow down toward the end?
 
I think it's unavoidable for any sane person. The best thing to do is to reschedule your test at an earlier date so that you avoid taking the exam after you peak.

But you can't do that when you're less than a month away from exam day. Or a week away like I was. Not without spending a lot of money, and being fortunate enough to find an available date anyway.