Official 2013-2014 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea its in Annals of Plastic Surgery. All of my research came from a summer research experience between first and second year when I was still interested in surgery lol. Would this hold me back?

I see a certain net benefit. You have proven that you are an effective researcher who can follow a project through to publication, albeit in a different specialty. I doubt many programs will begrudge the fact that you were uncertain what you wanted to do in first year. Do you have any IM research?

Members don't see this ad.

Good to know, thanks. Does that include "elites" like MGH, UCSF? Maybe it's an ego thing, but I'd be upset at myself if I screwed myself out of those programs just because I decided on IM late or didn't do as well on Step 1 as I wanted.

Hard to say, I think you'll probably be interviewed at some of the "elites" if only because it sounds like you're doing quite well at a top-tier school, but the process is a little random and hard to predict. It'll probably boil down to how good your letters are and if there are any random extracurriculars that make you sound interesting.

I'll be the first IMG to post my stats:

230/240/CS cleared
YOG 2010
Research: 1 publication low impact journal, submitted 2 abstracts for a National U.S. Conference, working on another publication for a good impact journal
8 weeks of externship experience at University hospitals
3 LOR's from a Professor, Associate Professor, and Assistant Professor that are decent from MGH

I'd like to stay on the east coast or down south in Florida? My dream is NYU or Mount Sinai but being an IMG I think that's out of the question??

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea its in Annals of Plastic Surgery. All of my research came from a summer research experience between first and second year when I was still interested in surgery lol. Would this hold me back?

No. This is IM. The simple fact that you did research would be enough. If you've also published, you're golden.

some pretty terrible advice being thrown around here so I'll give a more contemporary perspective...

IM has become way more competitive than when these guys were applying due to the fact that some other specialties have become unstable and therefore less popular and the growing number of US MD grads. Highly desirable locations have become extremely competitive and that competition has trickled down to formerly less competitive programs.

Step 1 - 228
Step 2 CK - To be taken later this month
School - Middle of road state school
Class Rank - Bottom 1/2
Grades in Clerkship - Honors in IM and Psych, high pass in everything else
AOA - No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars - Research done at major cancer center with a resulting poster and several presentations; president of an organization and started a student-run free clinic
Letters - Should be getting very good letters from chair of department of medicine, residency program director and another medicine attending from a respected institution
Where I'm applying - All over without a regional preference:

Brown
Georgetown
George Washington
NYU
Montefiore
Beth Israel Deaconess
Tufts
Mayo
UVA
Yale
UIC
Rush
University of Chicago
UPMC
Wake Forest
UNC
Emory
University of Colorado Denver
University of Florida
University of Miami
Baylor (Houston)
UTMB
OHSU
University of Arizona
University of Missouri Columbia
USC
UC-Irvine
UCSD

you need to expand your list significantly. it looks like you're just picking programs at random. being in the bottom half of the class with a 228 step 1 from a middle of the road state school means that your sweet spot is going to be mid-tier programs, likely in a less desirable location. of course this depends on whether or not you blow CK out of the water which would of course give you a boost.

to be more specific...(and to be clear i'm not discouraging you from applying anywhere, applications are cheap and you never know what might happen...what i'm suggesting is that you expand your list)

BID? they're not even going to look at your application. if you want to be in boston you'd be getting more bang for your buck by applying to BU. though likely still a reach with your stats it's more realistic.

NYU took half it's class from NYU this year and was able to pick up stellar applicants who wanted to stay in NYC but did not match at the other 3 manhattan schools. Monte will also be a bit of a reach for you. I would recommend applying to NS-LIJ and RWJ which are near NYC and more in-line with your stats.

GW and Gtown are good choices. do you have anything against the philly programs? you might want to take a look at Jefferson and Temple.

overall i think this list needs some work and you need to focus your applications on mid-tier university programs.

I'll be the first IMG to post my stats:

230/240/CS cleared
YOG 2010
Research: 1 publication low impact journal, submitted 2 abstracts for a National U.S. Conference, working on another publication for a good impact journal
8 weeks of externship experience at University hospitals
3 LOR's from a Professor, Associate Professor, and Assistant Professor that are decent from MGH

I'd like to stay on the east coast or down south in Florida? My dream is NYU or Mount Sinai but being an IMG I think that's out of the question??

no chance at either NYU or Sinai as an IMG who graduated 3+ years ago. you need to be a little more realistic. if you want to be at a university hospital in the northeast then you should look at places along the lines of downstate, stony brook, drexel. otherwise your best bets will be community programs like beth israel, st. luke's, etc.

again, not discouraging you from applying wherever you want but you need to have tons of more realistic places or else you'll be in danger of not matching

yeah that's what I thought, anything I could do to get a shot at those places or its impossible? a friend of mine matched last year at Yale in Anesthesia and he was an IMG, but he had a lot of publications though.

some pretty terrible advice being thrown around here so I'll give a more contemporary perspective...

IM has become way more competitive than when these guys were applying due to the fact that some other specialties have become unstable and therefore less popular and the growing number of US MD grads. Highly desirable locations have become extremely competitive and that competition has trickled down to formerly less competitive programs.

you need to expand your list significantly.

This is the kind if nervous nelly crap I'm on about. I'm also always amused that it is just assumed by so many people that everyone just wants to be in Boston or NYC - places you couldn't pay me enough to train in. . The poster you are talking about is going to get interviews at most of that list. He could expand if he really wanted to, round it out with a total of thirty programs. Cut a few add a few but he definitely does not need to expand his list significantly. A handful of reaches is fine. He's got more than enough safety programs on the list but to make the comment "terrible" advice is being given is to have your head too far up your ass, pull it out and repeat, "IM is not Ortho until it sinks in". Even if there has been a slight uptick in competitiveness in the elites including the top 10 and more idiots want to go to NYC or Boston does not mean the game has changed considerably or at all anywhere else.

Last edited:
yeah that's what I thought, anything I could do to get a shot at those places or its impossible? a friend of mine matched last year at Yale in Anesthesia and he was an IMG, but he had a lot of publications though.

Probably an impossibility.

It's getting much harder to find academic programs in generally for IMGs and NYU and MSSM are just too competitive. Plenty of community shops in NYC and Boston.

Florida will be a bit easier. You've got a shot at USF, UF, and UMiami.

Step 1: 250s
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking in late august
School: unranked school in NE
Class Rank: 1st or 2nd quintile (TBD)
Grades in Clerkship: H in IM, Medicine AI, and ob-gyn, HP in the rest; all H's except for 1 HP in first two years
AOA: no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: several pubs, 1 of which is first author; several posters; several abstracts, some of which are published in journals; a case report, a review. worked in several different labs (continued working on 1st author paper from undergrad university as MS1, did 2 month away research at US Top 20 for MS2 summer, joined a lab at my school in MS3). pretty good ECs: founded a student organization that did a medical mission abroad, IMIG exec board, good teaching experience including teaching for kaplan during MS1, blablabla
Letters: let's assume average letters (i honestly have no idea)

My school doesn't sit down with those matching into IM to discuss future goals/plans (they only do that for people applying to more competitive specialties).. so I'm really not sure what my targets/reaches are. I know the (-) AOA and (-) pedigree is going to hurt me quite a bit. I'm not limiting myself geographically.

What are the types of programs that are my reaches/targets?

Do I have a chance at MGH/JHU/UCSF? What about Pritzker/UMich/Mayo/Vandy/UCSD/etc.?

ps. anyone know of a good place to get a list of IM programs that I can refer to when choosing where to apply? My school is of absolutely no help.

Thanks!

This is just my own opinion and others may disagree:

Probably no chance at UCSF, they're super picky. I think MGH is also less likely to invite you, but they're not as bad as UCSF. Of the three, I think that JHU is the most likely since your scores are good and I'm under the impression that they tend to invite more cause of Baltimore. They're all probably reaches though.

Pritzker - Unlikely, they seems to like local (?)
UMich/Mayo/Vandy - Decent chance
UCSD - Probably a good chance

Location of the programs can greatly influence how competitive they are, which is why I think UMich/Mayo/Vandy are a bit more likely that Pritzker to extend an invite because AA/Rochester/Nashville aren't as glamorous as Chicago. This is in spite of the fact that their academic "reputations" are fairly comparable, and some would argue that those three are "better" that UChicago but I think people like to split hairs too much.

In terms of choosing where to apply, I think you end up just going by word of mouth or what you read on SDN. Just be careful with SDN because people can say whatever they want on the internet without any real culpability. Other programs you can consider which are also strong academically, just off the top of my head: University of Wisconsin, Pitt, UTSW, UNC. There are many others, of course.

If you take Step 2 CK and do well on it before your app gets read, that might help too, though your 250 on Step 1 coupled with relatively strong grades is probably good enough already. Your ECs are a wildcard, I can see you getting some interviews if they sound interesting enough on your app.

Last edited:
This is just my own opinion and others may disagree:

If you take Step 2 CK and do well on it before your app gets read, that might help too, though your 250 on Step 1 coupled with relatively strong grades is probably good enough already. Your ECs are a wildcard, I can see you getting some interviews if they sound interesting enough on your app.

Thanks for the quick response.

A quick question to you and all the other SDN-ers (though this may be slightly off topic -- I apologize) -- does it matter that much that Step 2 scores are out before the apps get read? The whole point of taking it late august was so if the scores are good (250+) I can submit it in a reasonably timely fashion (maybe mid Sept)... and if not, I can just hold off until interview season is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 - 228
Step 2 CK - To be taken later this month
School - Middle of road state school
Class Rank - Bottom 1/2
Grades in Clerkship - Honors in IM and Psych, high pass in everything else
AOA - No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars - Research done at major cancer center with a resulting poster and several presentations; president of an organization and started a student-run free clinic
Letters - Should be getting very good letters from chair of department of medicine, residency program director and another medicine attending from a respected institution
Where I'm applying - All over without a regional preference:

Brown- Maybe
Georgetown- Maybe
George Washington- Yes
NYU- No
Montefiore- Yes
Beth Israel Deaconess- No
Tufts- Maybe+
Mayo- Maybe-
UVA- Maybe-
Yale- No
UIC- Yes
Rush- Maybe+
University of Chicago- No
UPMC- Maybe-
Wake Forest- N/A
UNC- No
Emory- No
University of Colorado Denver- Yes
University of Florida- Yes
University of Miami- Yes
Baylor (Houston)- Yes (because you're form texas?)
UTMB- Yes
OHSU- Maybe+
University of Arizona- Yes
University of Missouri Columbia- Yes
USC- Yes
UC-Irvine- Maybe+
UCSD- Maybe-

People can disagree, and definitely don't take what I say as truth and/or stop you from applying to places. It's your money and applying is cheap. You'll get into a solid mid-tier program.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Step 1: 247
Step 2 CK/ CS: Pending in Sept.
School: Lower-end private school
Class Rank: Top half to top third
Grades in Clerkship: High pass in medicine (first rotation), 1 other HP, 2 pass, 2 honors
AOA: Not sure
Research/ Publications: 1 paper accepted in journal, 2 first author abstracts, 1 poster, 1 presentation (all in plastic surgery though)
Extracurriculars: Nothing extraordinary, volunteer with at-risk kids, student free clinic, various interest groups, tutoring

I am very interested and passionate about teaching and I talk about it a lot in my PS.

Overview of where you want to end up:
I want to stay on the west coast and ideally in Socal. I know my HP in medicine will screen me out of the top places like UCLA, UCSF, etc. I am wondering what are my chances at other west coast academic institutions like USC, UCSD, the UCLA affiliates, UCI, UW, OHSU.

I am also applying to other bigger city institutions in Chicago, Boston, New York, etc. Is this worth it or should I just forget about them.

Thanks!

I really don't know how a HP in IM plays out in an otherwise good app. It did hurt a friend I know, though, who had very similar stats as you. I had a significantly lower step 1 score, but I think I managed some better interviews.

Yes- UCD, USC, UCI, UCLA Affiliates, OHSU, BU, UIC, Rush?, Loyola?, Tufts?
Maybe- UCSD, NYU (they got really picky this last year though), MSSM
Reach/No- UCLA, NW, UW, BID, Cornell
No- UCSF, UChicago, MGH, BW, Columbia

You're going to want to broaden your horizons a little.

Step 1: 250s
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking in late august
School: unranked school in NE
Class Rank: 1st or 2nd quintile (TBD)
Grades in Clerkship: H in IM, Medicine AI, and ob-gyn, HP in the rest; all H's except for 1 HP in first two years
AOA: no
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: almost entirely basic science research: several pubs, 1 of which is first author; several posters; several abstracts, some of which are published in journals; a case report, a review. worked in several different labs (continued working on 1st author paper from undergrad university as MS1, did 2 month away research at US Top 20 for MS2 summer, joined a lab at my school in MS3). pretty good ECs: founded a student organization that did a medical mission abroad, IMIG exec board, student clinic, good teaching experience including teaching for kaplan during MS1, blablabla
Letters: let's assume average letters (i honestly have no idea)

My school doesn't sit down with those matching into IM to discuss future goals/plans (they only do that for people applying to more competitive specialties).. so I'm really not sure what my targets/reaches are. I know the (-) AOA and (-) pedigree is going to hurt me quite a bit. I'm not limiting myself geographically.

What are the types of programs that are my reaches/targets?

Do I have a chance at MGH/JHU/UCSF/UPenn? What about NYU/MSSM/Cornell/Pritzker/UMich/Mayo/Vandy/UCSD/etc.?

ps. anyone know of a good place to get a list of IM programs that I can refer to when choosing where to apply? My school is of absolutely no help.

Thanks!

I agree with what HoldTheCoffee said for the most part, but I may be slightly more optimistic about your chances. Again, the below is just a rough guideline and is probably more conservative/harsh than reality.

Yes- UMich, Mayo, Vandy, UCSD (BU, OHSU, UUtah, UWisco, Dartmouth, Brown, UColorado)
Maybe+ NYU, MSSM, (UCLA, BID, NW, UPitt, Baylor, UNC, Duke, Yale, WashU, Emory, UVa)
Maybe- UChicago, Cornell, UPenn, JHU, (Columbia, UWash, UTSW)
Probably not- MGH, UCSF (BW)

There are a lot of places you're going to be competitive for, save the very top. So, if you do have a regional preference or some sort of geographical preference (large city, rural town, a coast, etc) this will significantly narrow your search and you will likely find great programs you have decent shot at.

Last edited:
This is the kind if nervous nelly crap I'm on about. I'm also always amused that it is just assumed by so many people that everyone just wants to be in Boston or NYC - places you couldn't pay me enough to train in. . The poster you are talking about is going to get interviews at most of that list. He could expand if he really wanted to, round it out with a total of thirty programs. Cut a few add a few but he definitely does not need to expand his list significantly. A handful of reaches is fine. He's got more than enough safety programs on the list but to make the comment "terrible" advice is being given is to have your head too far up your ass, pull it out and repeat, "IM is not Ortho until it sinks in". Even if there has been a slight uptick in competitiveness in the elites including the top 10 and more idiots want to go to NYC or Boston does not mean the game has changed considerably or at all anywhere else.

It's also worth pointing out that at least half of that list (16-18 programs by my count) are in the "Definitely/Probably gonna get an invite" category for RedRaider. Sure, BI, NYU, UofC and UCSD are highly unlikely...but not completely out of the question.

This seems like a good time to chime in with my only useful comment (at least according to some people)...just apply. RedRaider's list only costs $532. Tack on another 22 programs (to make it an even 50) and you're still well under what it's going to cost to attend 2 or 3 interviews. Mix it up between aiming high (throw UCLA-Reagan and UAB in the mix), middle (SCVMC, CPMC, UT-Houston, Kansas, Nebraska, Indiana, Ohio State - based on your current apps) and low (LSU-NO, USF, UCLA-OV and Harbor, the Cali Kaiser programs) and see what happens.

Last edited:

oh sweet jesus I am officially having ridiculous anxiety because my stats are way crappier than everyone else! its going to be a long year!:eek:

I agree with what HoldTheCoffee said for the most part, but I may be slightly more optimistic about your chances. Again, the below is just a rough guideline and is probably more conservative/harsh than reality.

Yes- UMich, Mayo, Vandy, UCSD (BU, OHSU, UUtah, UWisco, Dartmouth, Brown, UColorado)
Maybe+ NYU, MSSM, (UCLA, BID, NW, UPitt, Baylor, UNC, Duke, Yale, WashU, Emory, UVa)
Maybe- UChicago, Cornell, UPenn, JHU, (Columbia, UWash, UTSW)
Probably not- MGH, UCSF (BW)

There are a lot of places you're going to be competitive for, save the very top. So, if you do have a regional preference or some sort of geographical preference (large city, rural town, a coast, etc) this will significantly narrow your search and you will likely find great programs you have decent shot at.

More or less agree with the above. I would move UCLA and Duke into the maybe- and UTSW into the maybe+ . It really depends on your school's history with the program. Are you sure you're not getting senior AOA? Your grades seem pretty good. Because if that's the case, you might get at least one interview at MGH/UCSF/BW even from an unranked school. By the way JHU is equivalent in terms of strength/reputation to the "probably not", but not sure if their interview invite is truly that much easier. Bottom line, apply those 30 programs and find out.

And step scores don't mean much once you're above 245 for IM, unless it's off the charts (270).

IM is NOT ortho

PM me your stats, I'll give you an honest assessment

This. LOL @ some of the responses here...3 people in the class above me matched at UCSF IM and they were hardly "SDN tier" applicants.

Let's be real...middle of your class @ a top institution with 230-235+ puts you in excellent shape to grab an upper-mid tier or an upper. If you think the adcoms read your apps as closely as you think, well you're wrong.

Let's not forget the interview is huge...can make up a lot of ground here if you grab an invite.

It's also worth pointing out that at least half of that list (16-18 programs by my count) are in the "Definitely/Probably gonna get an invite" category for RedRaider. Sure, BI, NYU, UofC and UCSD are highly unlikely...but not completely out of the question.

according to disorder, whose advice above is excellent and on point, that poster has about 11 places in the definitely/probably category (though i disagree about Monte which seemed to be quite competitive this year from my classmates' experience). the four you mentioned are almost certainly completely out of the question unless this person pulls off a 250+ on CK. are we looking at the same stats here?!

This. LOL @ some of the responses here...3 people in the class above me matched at UCSF IM and they were hardly "SDN tier" applicants.

Let's be real...middle of your class @ a top institution with 230-235+ puts you in excellent shape to grab an upper-mid tier or an upper. If you think the adcoms read your apps as closely as you think, well you're wrong.

Let's not forget the interview is huge...can make up a lot of ground here if you grab an invite.

nobody is disagreeing with the bolded statement. you go to a top tier school.... it's a whole different ballgame. those stats won't get you an upper tier invite from a middle-lower tier school. if you notice my advice takes into account step 1 score, class rank and med school rank and I have not responded to all those posts from people at top tier schools with 240+ step 1 and top/middle quartile rank because they'll be perfectly fine.

From my experience, the things that mattered the most (not necessarily in order):
- reputation of your med school / relationship of your school with the residency program
- AOA /Class rank
- Clerkship grades
- Step scores (in all honesty, if you go to a good school, then around 235+ is already good enough, if not then you need a higher score to compensate)
- Some programs seem to have regional preferences and this might also tie into the whole thing about your school's relationship with the program

Step 1: 256
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking in late September
School: Mid-tier/average state school (in the 50's on research and PC, whatever that means)
Class Rank: top 1/3 as of end of 2nd year (3.7 GPA); haven't gotten updated ranking yet
Grades in Clerkship: All honors 3rd year, including IM, except for one HP in OB/GYN; AI in October
AOA: no junior AOA, have a shot for senior
Research/ Publications: multiple presentations and 1 published abstract in another but related specialty; working on small IM project now
Extracurriculars: pretty average stuff - free clinic, president of IMIG, tutoring, etc.
Letters: I'm going to assume they are decent - all IM or Med/Peds faculty from 3rd year

Goals: Program in Southeast/lower Midwest that is strong in pulm/CCM and is inpatient/ICU/procedure oriented. Want to do Pulm/CCM for fellowship or be a baller hospitalist.

Any suggestions on places to apply, especially strong mid-tier programs with the above characteristics in the southeast or lower midwest?

Thoughts on chances at Vandy, UAB, Duke, UVA, UNC, Emory? Other suggestions for places to apply?

Thanks all.

Hey all,

I did a few searches, and couldn't find the proper place to post my question, and I was hoping for some insight. I'm a 3rd year DO student interested in IM or EM (for now)

My school only allows 2 weeks between our last day of class and our first day of rotations and I worked hard studying for the COMLEX and took it a few weeks ago and believe I scored well. However, started rotations last week, and I have my USMLE coming up on Saturday. I've been putting it on the backburner BIG time because of rotations and moving to a new state. I still have about 25% left of UWORLD, I took self assesment 1 and scored a 234 (which I would be very happy with), but I just took NBME 11 today and scored a 214.

To complicate it further my gf is also a med student who scores virtually identical to me on most exams, and she also has the USMLE scheduled Saturday. We are hoping to enter the Couples match (MD or DO), leaning toward IM/EM for me and Peds/IM for her.

My question is should we take the USMLE with hopes and high probability of scoring average (low 220's) OR say forget the USMLE because of underprepardness and just go all in with our COMLEX scores. I've heard a TON of stories that MD program directors prefer the USMLE (obviously), but would they prefer a high comlex, OR an average/maybe even slighly below average USMLE?

ANY insight you have would help me out BIGTIME. We've been stressing out about what to do. Feel free to tell me to "man up" and just take the USMLE if need be.

Thank you for an advice in advance.

Last edited:
From my experience, the things that mattered the most (not necessarily in order):
- reputation of your med school / relationship of your school with the residency program
- AOA /Class rank
- Clerkship grades
- Step scores (in all honesty, if you go to a good school, then around 235+ is already good enough, if not then you need a higher score to compensate)
- Some programs seem to have regional preferences and this might also tie into the whole thing about your school's relationship with the program

this is spot on

Hey all,

I did a few searches, and couldn't find the proper place to post my question, and I was hoping for some insight. I'm a 3rd year DO student interested in IM/EM (for now)

My school only allows 2 weeks between our last day of class and our first day of rotations and I worked hard studying for the COMLEX and took it a few weeks ago and believe I scored well. However, started rotations last week, and I have my USMLE coming up on Saturday. I've been putting it on the backburner BIG time because of rotations and moving to a new state. I still have about 25% left of UWORLD, I took self assesment 1 and scored a 234 (which I would be very happy with), but I just took NBME 11 today and scored a 214.

To complicate it further my gf is also a med student who scores virtually identical to me on most exams, and she also has the USMLE scheduled Saturday. We are hoping to enter the Couples match (MD or DO), leaning toward IM/EM for me and Peds/IM for her.

My question is should we take the USMLE with hopes and high probability of scoring average (low 220's) OR say forget the USMLE because of underprepardness and just go all in with our COMLEX scores. I've heard a TON of stories that MD program directors prefer the USMLE (obviously), but would they prefer a high comlex, OR an average/maybe even slighly below average USMLE?

ANY insight you have would help me out BIGTIME. We've been stressing out about what to do. Feel free to tell me to "man up" and just take the USMLE if need be.

you should PM sylvanthus ...he's a DO that matched into ACGME EM/IM

Step 1: 256
Step 2 CK/ CS: taking in late September
School: Mid-tier/average state school (in the 50's on research and PC, whatever that means)
Class Rank: top 1/3 as of end of 2nd year (3.7 GPA); haven't gotten updated ranking yet
Grades in Clerkship: All honors 3rd year, including IM, except for one HP in OB/GYN; AI in October
AOA: no junior AOA, have a shot for senior
Research/ Publications: multiple presentations and 1 published abstract in another but related specialty; working on small IM project now
Extracurriculars: pretty average stuff - free clinic, president of IMIG, tutoring, etc.
Letters: I'm going to assume they are decent - all IM or Med/Peds faculty from 3rd year

Goals: Program in Southeast/lower Midwest that is strong in pulm/CCM and is inpatient/ICU/procedure oriented. Want to do Pulm/CCM for fellowship or be a baller hospitalist.

Any suggestions on places to apply, especially strong mid-tier programs with the above characteristics in the southeast or lower midwest?

Thoughts on chances at Vandy, UAB, Duke, UVA, UNC, Emory? Other suggestions for places to apply?

Thanks all.

Definitely also apply:
UTSW
WashU
+/- Baylor
Why not Hopkins? You're not a slam dunk there, but maybe enough of a chance that I'd consider them

Also of possible interest, but probably more "safety" like for a guy with your stats:
San Antonio
SLU
MUSC
VCU
Wake
Maryland
Indiana

Last edited:
Hey all,

I did a few searches, and couldn't find the proper place to post my question, and I was hoping for some insight. I'm a 3rd year DO student interested in IM or EM (for now)

I think you need to take the USMLE

Does anyone else have any opinions on my questions? Thanks!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Step 1: 247
Step 2 CK/ CS: Pending in Sept.
School: Lower-end private school
Class Rank: Top half to top third
Grades in Clerkship: High pass in medicine (first rotation), 1 other HP, 2 pass, 2 honors
AOA: Not sure
Research/ Publications: 1 paper accepted in journal, 2 first author abstracts, 1 poster, 1 presentation (all in plastic surgery though)
Extracurriculars: Nothing extraordinary, volunteer with at-risk kids, student free clinic, various interest groups, tutoring

I am very interested and passionate about teaching and I talk about it a lot in my PS.

Overview of where you want to end up:
I want to stay on the west coast and ideally in Socal. I know my HP in medicine will screen me out of the top places like UCLA, UCSF, etc. I am wondering what are my chances at other west coast academic institutions like USC, UCSD, the UCLA affiliates, UCI, UW, OHSU.

I am also applying to other bigger city institutions in Chicago, Boston, New York, etc. Is this worth it or should I just forget about them.

Thanks!

You talk as if you went through last year's season.

School reputation is HUGE.

If you didn't come from a top 15 school, your app would be mediocre at best and wouldn't have a chance at cracking the top 10 save maybe UMich.

Thank your lucky stars you can ride on the coat tails of your school's reputation.

Does anyone else have any opinions on my questions? Thanks!

What additional information do you want? you didn't have any more questions in your post.
I think you were given some pretty solid advice already.

Last edited:
Step 1: 254
Step 2 CK/ CS: Haven't taken yet
School: No name Southern public school (though seems to have pretty good connections with some well respected Southern residencies)
Class Rank: top 25%
Grades in Clekship: H's in all but HP in OBGYN and PSYCH
AOA: Possibly senior AOA
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Currently involved in an IM quality improvement project but unlikely to be published by interview season. Average extracurriculars. High school science teacher/science department chair for one year before medical school that may look good on the CV
Overview of where you want to end up: Primarily in the South but definitely open to other areas if I had a chance at a great program elsewhere. Very interested in places like Vandy, UTSW, UNC, Duke, Emory, UAB, and Wash U. Chances with those? Also, chances at places like Mayo or Hopkins (if any shot at all)? Any suggestions of places to add? I realize I have decent stats, but my main concern is the lack of a good medical school on my CV and also the lack of publications. All help greatly appreciated.

School: No name Southern public school (though seems to have pretty good connections with some well respected Southern residencies)
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: Currently involved in an IM quality improvement project but unlikely to be published by interview season. Average extracurriculars. High school science teacher/science department chair for one year before medical school that may look good on the CV
Overview of where you want to end up: Primarily in the South but definitely open to other areas if I had a chance at a great program elsewhere. Very interested in places like Vandy, UTSW, UNC, Duke, Emory, UAB, and Wash U. Chances with those? Also, chances at places like Mayo or Hopkins (if any shot at all)? Any suggestions of places to add? I realize I have decent stats, but my main concern is the lack of a good medical school on my CV and also the lack of publications. All help greatly appreciated.

I had similar stats as you, and came from a no-name school as well. AOA will definitely help you for the Duke/Vandy/Wash U. Without it, you stand a good chance at interviews but a mediocre chance at matching there (when I interviewed at Vandy, their list of current residents were all AOA, came from a top 20 school, or both - it's similar for Duke; I didn't apply to UTSW/Emory/UAB). You'll likely have a better chance with UNC, though, as they do get a little of the "little brother" association with Duke (UNC is a fantastic program, though!).

Other good programs in the south: UVA (location hurts them a bit), Wake Forest, VCU, MUSC. If you're willing to expand to other areas (Midwest-ish), I'd look at UPMC, Case Western, CCF, Ohio State, and Indiana. If you're willing to go even colder, I heard great things about Minnesota & Wisconsin, and why not try UMich.

My perception is that the programs in the south are a little easier to get interviews at because of the location. I think you have a pretty decent shot at interviewing at most of those places with your grades and step score. Based on your post, it sounds like even if your school isn't a big name, your colleagues have still gone to some good residencies so for what it's worth, at least some of those places respect your training. Duke and Hopkins would probably be reaches, but if you get AOA I would think that you would get one of them. You have a good chance at interviewing at Mayo.

Also I think FrisbeeDoc's list looks pretty good in terms of suggestions of places to consider.

Step 1: 220s
Step 2 CK/ CS: 230s/Pass all 1st attempt
School: IMG; 1 year after graduation
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: just one poster presentation
USCE: 2 months observerships; currently doing another one
Overview of where you want to end up: I would like to apply in Texas and Illinois. Do I have any chances?

Step 1: 220s
Step 2 CK/ CS: 230s/Pass all 1st attempt
School: IMG; 1 year after graduation
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: just one poster presentation
USCE: 2 months observerships; currently doing another one
Overview of where you want to end up: I would like to apply in Texas and Illinois. Do I have any chances?

Look at a map of the US. Go 2 states to the right and left of each of those places. Draw a straight vertical line through the Eastern and Western-most points on the map. Apply to all the programs between those lines. You're likely to get enough interviews to feel comfortable. If not, apply to all the community programs in the Northeast.

You talk as if you went through last year's season.

School reputation is HUGE.

If you didn't come from a top 15 school, your app would be mediocre at best and wouldn't have a chance at cracking the top 10 save maybe UMich.

Thank your lucky stars you can ride on the coat tails of your school's reputation.

Haters_Gonna_Hate_03.jpg

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why SDN is viewed as malignant by the majority of students^^

Anyways, according to your logic, anything outside of top 10 is mediocre. I think you're also forgetting that some of these folks with stellar apps have the social skills of a potato...the interviews matter. No, I did not go through last year's seasons, but I have many friends who are either residents/fellows or on IM boards who have shared their insight. Not the same as going through it, I agree. I never said I want to go to a top 10 either...I said top 50. Big difference. I'm not the type to need my ego stroked to sleep at night

nobody is disagreeing with the bolded statement. you go to a top tier school.... it's a whole different ballgame. those stats won't get you an upper tier invite from a middle-lower tier school. if you notice my advice takes into account step 1 score, class rank and med school rank and I have not responded to all those posts from people at top tier schools with 240+ step 1 and top/middle quartile rank because they'll be perfectly fine.

Yeah definitely. I mean reputation matters a lot period (unfortunately IMO)...just look at the fellowship match. Can be the best man for the job, but if you came from a "weaker" program you aren't landing that GI spot.

Here are my top 20 choices...I am applying to 65 programs though. So these are just my hopefuls, any advice?
*Yes I realize my clinical grades are meh. I think our school tosses out 7-8% honors only, about 50% pass, the rest HP. So whatever...*

Step 1: High 230s
School: Top 15
Grades: All HP (medicine included), and Pass in surgery. Sub-I next up
Research: 2 pubs pending, 2 posters, many research projects w/ abstracts but nothing on pub med yet...conferences etc.
Service: Organized a good size fundraiser for heart dz
Extra curriculars: been told they are unique and "attention getting"

Will I be able to land some of these?

Univ Alabama Birmingham
Mayo (Minn and AZ)
UCSD
Stanford
Univ Colorado @ Denver
Univ Iowa
Wake Forest
UNC
Duke (lol auto reject I bet)
Univ michigan
Dartmouth
Case Western
Ohio State
OHSU
Vanderbilt
Univ tennesee
Baylor
UTSW (faculty phone call to director)
Univ Washington
Washington U in STL
Univ Virginia

Here are my top 20 choices...I am applying to 65 programs though. So these are just my hopefuls, any advice?
*Yes I realize my clinical grades are meh. I think our school tosses out 7-8% honors only, about 50% pass, the rest HP. So whatever...*

Research: 2 pubs pending, 2 posters, many research projects w/ abstracts but nothing on pub med yet...conferences etc.

Univ Alabama Birmingham
Mayo (Minn and AZ)
UCSD
Stanford
Univ Colorado @ Denver
Univ Iowa
Wake Forest
UNC
Univ michigan
Dartmouth
Case Western
Ohio State
OHSU
Vanderbilt
Univ tennesee
Baylor
Univ Washington
Washington U in STL
Univ Virginia

You will get invites from most of them.

in this case i agree. being from a top 15 school is key and if you're right about the small percentage of honors i'm sure your school makes that very clear in the MSPE and is already well known by most of the residency programs.

applying to 65 programs is extreme overkill though. i think you should trim it down pretty significantly (cut it in half). you must have some preference regarding where you would rather live or can take a cursory look at the program websites and eliminate some. Your top 20 list isn't exactly reaching for the stars... in fact many people wouldn't call half those programs "top 50" (which you mentioned was your desire) so you aren't exactly in danger of applying top heavy to too few programs.

I had similar stats as you, and came from a no-name school as well. AOA will definitely help you for the Duke/Vandy/Wash U. Without it, you stand a good chance at interviews but a mediocre chance at matching there (when I interviewed at Vandy, their list of current residents were all AOA, came from a top 20 school, or both - it's similar for Duke; I didn't apply to UTSW/Emory/UAB). You'll likely have a better chance with UNC, though, as they do get a little of the "little brother" association with Duke (UNC is a fantastic program, though!).

Other good programs in the south: UVA (location hurts them a bit), Wake Forest, VCU, MUSC. If you're willing to expand to other areas (Midwest-ish), I'd look at UPMC, Case Western, CCF, Ohio State, and Indiana. If you're willing to go even colder, I heard great things about Minnesota & Wisconsin, and why not try UMich.
Thanks so much for the advice and other programs to consider. It appears I have a good bit riding on the AOA decision.

in this case i agree. being from a top 15 school is key and if you're right about the small percentage of honors i'm sure your school makes that very clear in the MSPE and is already well known by most of the residency programs.

applying to 65 programs is extreme overkill though. i think you should trim it down pretty significantly (cut it in half). you must have some preference regarding where you would rather live or can take a cursory look at the program websites and eliminate some. Your top 20 list isn't exactly reaching for the stars... in fact many people wouldn't call half those programs "top 50" (which you mentioned was your desire) so you aren't exactly in danger of applying top heavy to too few programs.

wut? :laugh:

Now I really know you can't be taken serious.

Univ Alabama Birmingham
Mayo (Minn and AZ)
UCSD
Stanford
Univ Colorado @ Denver
Univ Iowa
Wake Forest
UNC
Univ michigan
Dartmouth
Case Western
Ohio State
OHSU
Vanderbilt
Univ tennesee
Baylor
Univ Washington
Washington U in STL
Univ Virginia

I think the most "reachiest" ones on this list are Stanford, Duke, and UW. Otherwise, I think you have a good shot at most of the other ones. Also, 65 might be a bit overkill... might want to talk to an advisor and cut it down to 30 or so at most. But it's your money and if applying to 65 gives you peace of mind, all the more power to you.

Haters_Gonna_Hate_03.jpg

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why SDN is viewed as malignant by the majority of students^^

Anyways, according to your logic, anything outside of top 10 is mediocre. I think you're also forgetting that some of these folks with stellar apps have the social skills of a potato...the interviews matter. No, I did not go through last year's seasons, but I have many friends who are either residents/fellows or on IM boards who have shared their insight. Not the same as going through it, I agree. I never said I want to go to a top 10 either...I said top 50. Big difference. I'm not the type to need my ego stroked to sleep at night

What?

I said YOUR app was mediocre at best If you didn't come from a top 15 school. They're are plenty of good schools/residency programs? Your post was unclear. I also agree that interviews mattered quite a bit more than I expected. I also never said you wanted to go to a top 10 although you might have a shot at a couple.

My main point was that IM ain't all sunshine and rainbows for the mediocre applicant outside a top 15/20 med school. UCSF is a damn fine match and my school matches one applicant per 5 years If that. And yes, they have to be in our top ten at least. So, great, your school has a rep with top tier IM places. Be thankful because I sure as hell would be.

What?

I said YOUR app was mediocre at best If you didn't come from a top 15 school. They're are plenty of good schools/residency programs? Your post was unclear. I also agree that interviews mattered quite a bit more than I expected. I also never said you wanted to go to a top 10 although you might have a shot at a couple.

My main point was that IM ain't all sunshine and rainbows for the mediocre applicant outside a top 15/20 med school. UCSF is a damn fine match and my school matches one applicant per 5 years If that. And yes, they have to be in our top ten at least. So, great, your school has a rep with top tier IM places. Be thankful because I sure as hell would be.

WTF? That's a damn shame it matters that much...I know people who are IMG and are absolutely excellent. I did not mean to come off as a tool bragging about my school- because if anything I am guilty about the unfair advantage. I've always been the type to earn things...no respect for free handouts.

Sorry about the miscommunication earlier friend.

WTF? That's a damn shame it matters that much...I know people who are IMG and are absolutely excellent. I did not mean to come off as a tool bragging about my school- because if anything I am guilty about the unfair advantage. I've always been the type to earn things...no respect for free handouts.

Sorry about the miscommunication earlier friend.

No harm done, all is well.

However, those who are IMG's should be well aware of the challenges they will face before entering medical school.

No harm done, all is well.

However, those who are IMG's should be well aware of the challenges they will face before entering medical school.

They should come to UK/ Ireland - our match rates are excellent.

yet to take CK
bottom half
Honors one rest HP including IM

Looking east texas and southeast US

Are these in reach?
Scott and White, UT Houston, UT galveston, UTenn-Memphis, Knoxville, South Alabama, LSU?

Any chance at UAB, UNC with 240+ on step 2?

yet to take CK
bottom half
Honors one rest HP including IM

Looking east texas and southeast US

Are these in reach?
Scott and White, UT Houston, UT galveston, UTenn-Memphis, Knoxville, South Alabama, LSU?

Any chance at UAB, UNC with 240+ on step 2?

I would guess you could get any of those- I do not know anything about Scott and White though. A US-grad with 225+ is an appealing IM applicant

Status
Not open for further replies.