Official 2013-2014 Pulm/CCM fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tried to register for a token. Was met with "The ERAS Fellowships 2014 application is temporarily unavailable. Continue to check back. "

Frustrating.

Good luck everybody.

Remember that this is about selecting the best program for YOUR career.

If you're not interested in spending your life as a physician scientist, doing at least an extra year of fellowship, with lots of research, applying for grants, and are willing to work for peanuts until your funding hits, then don't be sad when places like UW, UCSF, Hopkins, Penn, Michigan, and Colorado say, "No".

Make a list of this things you want to do, want to see, want to be trained in, and go looking for places that will give that to you. If your interest is more critical care than pulm, it won't matter too, too much where you do your training, honestly.

Make sure places can cash the checks their asses are writing to you when you visit. If it's not happening when you interview, assume it not happening during your fellowship. Look at their product, and see if the fellows they are producing is what you see yourself as generally - ie. if no one is staying on in academics and that what you want to do, pay attention to that.

Lots of you will, no doubt, be interested in "interventional pulmonary" but don't get too caught up on the fancy bronchs. You need to be a good basic bronchoscopist before doing anything fancy. If the program struggles to get you 100 bronchs that is a problem. Expect to do EXTRA training (an additional 6 months to a year) if you want to do a lot of interventional pulm these days.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my ERAS token first thing on June 18th. Then the site crashed for one day; then delayed a whole weekend. Oops, my bad, hope it wasn't me--if so, that's probably not a good sign. But anyway, good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
ERAS should waive the fee for the first 10 programs for the added stress and delay. A whole WEEK to redo the system, really?

Last edited:
I agree. The fact that you have to pay for a "token" is bogus anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been cracking me up watching all the wadded up up panties in these threads.

Just so theres no confusion, my panties aren't wadded up. They are bunched tightly into my crevasse from which they poke at me until I relent and complain on the internet about stuff I have no control over.

myERAS is back up and running, woohoo! *folds up panties and puts them away*

Hey guys,

Does any one know if there are any restrictions to get the fellowship for someone who has a work authorization permit or employment authorization document (EAD). Basically you don't need any visa sponsorship and it's a transition to green card holder.
Thanks

Hey guys,

Does any one know if there are any restrictions to get the fellowship for someone who has a work authorization permit or employment authorization document (EAD). Basically you don't need any visa sponsorship and it's a transition to green card holder.
Thanks

Doesn't sound like there should be, but I'd check with whoever is helping you with your immigration. If you don't have a lawyer, might be worth paying the hour of time to find out.

Does it make any difference to apply on July first ot later as long as I'm applying before July 15th??!!!
Many people told that you should apply on the first day!!!
Any idea ?!!!!

Does it make any difference to apply on July first ot later as long as I'm applying before July 15th??!!!
Many people told that you should apply on the first day!!!
Any idea ?!!!!

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

No one will read your application on the first day.

No one will read your application on July 15.

Get your stuff in and done the first few weeks on July and you'll be fine.

There is no strategy to submitting your application.

I actually sent an E mail to ERAS and they said programs cannot download your application before July 15th...

The information in ERAS was a little confusing that's why I wanted to make sure ..

one of my attendings uploded an LOR for me today... but I can't see it.
When I'm supposed to see it in the ERAS ?
Thanks

one of my attendings uploded an LOR for me today... but I can't see it.
When I'm supposed to see it in the ERAS ?
Thanks

ERAS for fellowship works the same way as it does for residency...you don't actually see the document and you'll note it in ERAS when you apply to programs.

We can't trouble shoot ERAS for you.

If I recal correctly, ERAS will make note that you have uploaded a letter but there can be a delay between it recognizing that one has been uploaded to the point were it is available.

I remember it all being pretty straight forward. Wait a couple days then try again.

Hey guys,

I did an outside elective rotation during my residency... where do i put it in the ERAS application? Volunteer or work experience?

Thanks

Hello,
I have a question regarding publication, one of my research was accepted as a poster presentation at ATS 2013, Should I just include it in the poster column or also include in the online publication section ( since the abstract is available online in the ATS website ) ?

Hello,
I have a question regarding publication, one of my research was accepted as a poster presentation at ATS 2013, Should I just include it in the poster column or also include in the online publication section ( since the abstract is available online in the ATS website ) ?

Poster section.

Hey guys,

I did an outside elective rotation during my residency... where do i put it in the ERAS application? Volunteer or work experience?

Thanks

Not totally sure, but I would assume under "work experience" since it's clinical by their definition. I also incorporated it into my PS.

Any advice as to weather or not to waive my right to view my LOR? Will it look bad if I choose not to waive? Thanks :):) and good luck to everyone!

Any advice as to weather or not to waive my right to view my LOR? Will it look bad if I choose not to waive? Thanks :):) and good luck to everyone!

Yes, it will look bad if you dont waive it. Just like it did the last time.

Doesn't mean you can't see them. I saw 3/4 fellowship letters and all of my residency letters and waived my right to see them.

a fellow told me that I can apply to programs in California then do the California letter later if i got an interview... is that correct or I have to do the California letter first?

Thanks

I do not think you need the PTAL to train as a Fellow in California. They will require you to get a physician and surgeon license...

Hi everyone,
I have what may be a dumb question, there must be an obvious place to get an answer to this. How many rec letters are needed? All I've heard is hear-say of 3-4, and looking at program websites, I don't see actual requirements for the application

Hi everyone,
I have what may be a dumb question, there must be an obvious place to get an answer to this. How many rec letters are needed? All I've heard is hear-say of 3-4, and looking at program websites, I don't see actual requirements for the application

ERAS gives you the option to add four letter to the application you send. Just add all four of your letters. Programs that only want three will just download the first three letters so make sure your IM PD letter is the first you attach and that number two and three are letter you either know to be good or think will be.

ERAS gives you the option to add four letter to the application you send. Just add all four of your letters. Programs that only want three will just download the first three letters so make sure your IM PD letter is the first you attach and that number two and three are letter you either know to be good or think will be.

aah. tricky. Thank you so much jdh71.

Have y'all got all of your LORs uploaded? I am still pending two. :(