Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2023-2024 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apps are visible ! The waiting game begins! đź‘€
I know, I am waiting for a program to at least acknowledge my app to ensure I did not screw something up lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not applying to PCCM (or fellowship for that matter) but I have a TON of friends who are. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are the group's thoughts on applying to both tracks (PCCM and CCM) in the same program? Being an IMG, want to keep options open, apply broadly, and would be okay with CCM only as well.

What are the group's thoughts on applying to both tracks (PCCM and CCM) in the same program? Being an IMG, want to keep options open, apply broadly, and would be okay with CCM only as well.
You can apply to multiple tracks in the same program. Just have an answer for when they ask about what you're actually interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
some people do 2 year CCM first and then they become competitive for the 2 year pulmonary fellowships.
While this is less than ideal as it becomes 4 years of training (and the 2 year pulmonary fellowships are far fewer and limited in geography), it is indeed a route some have taken if one cannot get into PCCM the first time around for whatever reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-traditional candidate. Applying to 70. Excluding those who have Cerner, Meditech, or Allscripts - because it is straight trash.
Nice, is there a spreadsheet of this database?

Nice, is there a spreadsheet of this database?
Lol, I wish! I looked up each program by hand for it's EMR. Been using Epic for years and it is the gold standard. I'm too tired and old to bother learning a new EMR - unless you pay me for it, and as fellowship pay is crap - not going to bother taking on more problems than its worth.

The Haiku mobile app allows me to place orders and see labs on the go. Never saw that with the Cerner or Paragon sites I've worked at. Someone tried to convince me that Cerner was better - hahaha, between "the dark side" and "the light side" and DC'ing meds to reorder them at a different dose was bizarro. Add in the lack of search capability - it makes for an awful time in doing good medicine with a detailed chart review.

Lol, I wish! I looked up each program by hand for it's EMR. Been using Epic for years and it is the gold standard. I'm too tired and old to bother learning a new EMR - unless you pay me for it, and as fellowship pay is crap - not going to bother taking on more problems than its worth.

The Haiku mobile app allows me to place orders and see labs on the go. Never saw that with the Cerner or Paragon sites I've worked at. Someone tried to convince me that Cerner was better - hahaha, between "the dark side" and "the light side" and DC'ing meds to reorder them at a different dose was bizarro. Add in the lack of search capability - it makes for an awful time in doing good medicine with a detailed chart review.
yeah once you go EPIC you're never going back.
if there's only one thing about EPIC i couldn't be without, it's the ability to simultaneously write your note while chart reviewing.
Allscripts cannot do that

No emails still. this isn't cool lol
Little early in the game my friend. Did get one message earlier from Virginia Commonwealth stating that they would not even begin reviewing applications until August 5th.

Nope. Unless Dr. Bob or someone tells me different, I'm not really expecting much until we get into August. Duke's secondary stated they would not send invites out until August 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked friends who applied last year and they did not start getting interviews until late August. One said the bulk of his invites were in September.

I think Wash U has sent out interview invites already… anyone?

I think Wash U has sent out interview invites already… anyone?
Do you have a friend who already got an invite? Even so, Wash U is a competitive program and its early in the cycle. Unfortunately, its going to be a long waiting game.

Edit: Ah.. I see somone put an invite in the excel sheet. Regardless, I stand by my previous statement. I wouldn't fret yet.

Last edited:
Do you have a friend who already got an invite? Even so, Wash U is a competitive program and its early in the cycle. Unfortunately, its going to be a long waiting game.
I do!

Edit: Ah.. I see somone put an invite in the excel sheet. Regardless, I stand by my previous statement. I wouldn't fret yet.
I feel so silly- my first time engaging with these forums (avoided in residency) can someone share the excel? or is this a private excel?

I do!

I feel so silly- my first time engaging with these forums (avoided in residency) can someone share the excel? or is this a private excel?
The link is on the first page of this thread.

Some movement today for the CCM folks.

Indeed, the excel sheet and the discord. For anyone who would like to worsen any existing neuroticism, you can find the discord link on the chat section on the excel sheet.

Doesn’t seem updated
The excel sheet should be taken with a grain of salt as the application cycle goes forward. Previous years, there was some concern that people were falsely placing interview invites. In addition, the absence of an invite on the sheet obviously does not mean that invites were not sent out, given our relatively small cohort on SDN.
However, it appears that UPMC and Dartmouth have sent out invites for CCM.

Last edited:
“
ERAS/SF Residency/Fellowship Applicants: Virtual Interview Perceptions Survey
The form ERAS/SF Residency/Fellowship Applicants: Virtual Interview Perceptions Survey is no longer accepting responses.
Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake.”

Can someone post the updated form for this year if there is one?

Can someone re-share a new link to access the discord group? Link in the excel file is not working anymore. Thanks!

I heard today that my home program only got like 300 something apps. We got around 1000 last year, anyone else hearing lower numbers on their end?

I heard today that my home program only got like 300 something apps. We got around 1000 last year, anyone else hearing lower numbers on their end?
Nope, but I hope its true lol

For those of you getting the early invites from wash u and pritzker. Do you mind sharing your stats so the rest of us can properly seethe with invy lol.

For those of you getting the early invites from wash u and pritzker. Do you mind sharing your stats so the rest of us can properly seethe with invy lol.
Hello B-lymphocyte. I have both interviews. Top 10 residency (not top 4 though), average to slightly above average step scores, presented at chest second year and published in Lung (but the same project) uhmmmm- what other stats you lookin for?

More invites came out today based on the excel sheet. Hopefully some more activity this week

Looking at previous sheets, anyone feeling the DO bias?

I will add, again, that the applicants I know from our chiefs/the year above me did not get almost any interviews till September and all matched to good to great programs. So I do think it's a fairly heterogenous process although I do totally get the anxiety and I am waiting myself lol.

Looking at previous sheets, anyone feeling the DO bias?
There is some degree of it, but it seems to diminish if you have gone to a larger academic program and/or have more research.

Nope. Unless Dr. Bob or someone tells me different, I'm not really expecting much until we get into August. Duke's secondary stated they would not send invites out until August 15th.
This is a busy time of year for programs. We're trying to get our new class settled, doing all the annual upkeep as far as ACGME reporting, etc.
August is when we can really turn our attention to applications.

Indeed, the excel sheet and the discord. For anyone who would like to worsen any existing neuroticism, you can find the discord link on the chat section on the excel sheet.

Oh, discord? Yikes. That would just add even more craziness to the waiting game.
Hopefully you get some good memes out of it.

The excel sheet should be taken with a grain of salt as the application cycle goes forward. Previous years, there was some concern that people were falsely placing interview invites. In addition, the absence of an invite on the sheet obviously does not mean that invites were not sent out, given our relatively small cohort on SDN.
However, it appears that UPMC and Dartmouth have sent out invites for CCM.

I noticed a lot of innacuracies with my program last year; things getting posted about interview offers that wasn't right. When I noticed errors I corrected them.
Comments... well those I left alone, even if I disagreed with them :cool:

The number is a little lower than last year but not a 2/3rd drop like that. Maybe a 5-10% drop from the same time in the cycle last year.

Getting sick of the waiting 🥲

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi,

I am an PGY 3, applying PCCM this year. Due to COVID-19 and VISA delays, I started residency in August 2021 (will finish in July 2024, 35 mos). I reflected this in my ERAS CV (but I did not include it in the section where we have the space to explain if/why training was delayed). I was on night call and this thought just occurred to me and I feel like my floor beneath me collapsed. Almost every program I applied requires full 3 years of residency (per Frieda). I did not get that Duke supplementary that everyone else did and I am now in complete panic about whether I have ruined my chances… any advice appreciated.

rejection from Yale today.

Cook county notified that they received application and currently reviewing.

rejection from Yale today.

Cook county notified that they received application and currently reviewing.
If Yale had offered me an interview I would have been concerned for them.

Notification from cook county.

Got my first interview today. By far my first choice. So i'm pretty excited.

Reactions: 2 users
Notification from cook county.

Got my first interview today. By far my first choice. So i'm pretty excited.
Congrats! I’m just slowly going crazy watching my hopefuls send out invites and skip me