- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties
- Pulmonary / Critical Care Medicine
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship 2024-2025 Cycle
Started by criticalenthusiast
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
criticalenthusiast
New Member
Looking for PCCM fellow applicants to connect.
I will be applying this year. I had applied to Cardiology before, and had been interested in PCCM for a long time, but not been exposed to much pulmonology so did not apply. Doing a PGY-4 Chief Resident year this year too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
as in the cardiology threads, play up your interest in pulmonary hypertension and the whole heart lung connection. any scholarly activity you can do about pulmonary hypertension could help bridge the gap between cardiology and PCCM when you are writing your personal statements.
You'll have a much better time in pulmonary i'd bet.
unless you're into advanced cardiology stuff like interventional, LVADs, transplant, arrhythmia/EP stuff...
let's just say it is easier for the "pulm crit doctor to pretend to be the general cardiologist than it is for the general cardiologist to pretend to be the pulm crit doctor"
You'll have a much better time in pulmonary i'd bet.
unless you're into advanced cardiology stuff like interventional, LVADs, transplant, arrhythmia/EP stuff...
let's just say it is easier for the "pulm crit doctor to pretend to be the general cardiologist than it is for the general cardiologist to pretend to be the pulm crit doctor"
I was never interested in interventional stuff. I submitted several research items to CHEST, but again they were cardiology-oriented. Pulm HTN was something that I will look into!as in the cardiology threads, play up your interest in pulmonary hypertension and the whole heart lung connection. any scholarly activity you can do about pulmonary hypertension could help bridge the gap between cardiology and PCCM when you are writing your personal statements.
You'll have a much better time in pulmonary i'd bet.
unless you're into advanced cardiology stuff like interventional, LVADs, transplant, arrhythmia/EP stuff...
let's just say it is easier for the "pulm crit doctor to pretend to be the general cardiologist than it is for the general cardiologist to pretend to be the pulm crit doctor"
Is there a spreadsheet for this year yet?
Wait. No. What? It's starting already?
But... I'm not prepared...
But... I'm not prepared...
I just applied, what do you mean another cycle is starting? Wait is fellowship starting soon? I'm still sleep deprived!Wait. No. What? It's starting already?
But... I'm not prepared...
Have heard from several colleagues that Pulm/CC is getting saturated especially CC. Hard to find jobs in desirable and even some non desirable areas.
my colleagues from a few yeras back and recent fellow graduates all tell me NYC is fairly saturated. there are crit care only jobs available
Pulmonary and Crit jobs in NYC are very limited unless you can academic faculty somewhere
Pulmonary only jobs (outpatient + inpatient but no critical care) are present in private practice but very limited.
Pulmonary and Crit jobs in NYC are very limited unless you can academic faculty somewhere
Pulmonary only jobs (outpatient + inpatient but no critical care) are present in private practice but very limited.
D
deleted1190329
When you are on J1 visa, what do you expect?
But I doubt there is less job opportunities overall for CCM. Look into doccafe.
But I doubt there is less job opportunities overall for CCM. Look into doccafe.
Ask and you shall receive:
2024-2025 Spreadsheet!
2024-2025 Spreadsheet!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1190329
How does the supply increase by 32%? Where is the old PCCM physician who are retiring in the next few years? It is not even factored in.
Where is the population rise in correspondence with this?
Where is the population rise in correspondence with this?
D
deleted1190329
SCCM | SCCM Critical Care Workforce Update 2023
As an update to a 2019 workforce report, three committees from the Society of Critical Care Medicine evaluated critical care medicine’s continued emergence from the COVID-19 pandemic, changes in the critical care workforce, and pitfalls exposed by the pandemic.
For all those looking to enter Pulm/CC there are some warning signs about market saturation. By 2036 there will be 4100 excess pulmonary / critical care docs compared to number of jobs available.
They said the same thing about EM. Things fluctuate. PCCM will be fine. People and hospitals will always need intensivists. That's one supply that hospitals will not skimp on.
apatrickeisenberg
New Member
I am a DO with an average CV; I know Harvard and Yale are not giving me a look this year, but I was curious about everyone's thoughts about applying to programs that historically have not had a DO, whether it is a prestigious program or not. I don't want to waste money applying to programs that won't interview me solely because I am a DO.
criticalenthusiast
New Member
How are we doing with the applications?
I am applying w/ 3 LORs (1 PD, 1 hospitalist, and one PCCM) -- will that be good enough or do I really need to find a 4th LOR?
Depends on the program. Some do explicitly ask for four. Others only want 3. Some want PD letters and some do not.I am applying w/ 3 LORs (1 PD, 1 hospitalist, and one PCCM) -- will that be good enough or do I really need to find a 4th LOR?
criticalenthusiast
New Member
I am applying with 4 LOR (1 PD and 3 PCCM). I am from primary care program and visa seeking so it will be tough one 🙁I am applying w/ 3 LORs (1 PD, 1 hospitalist, and one PCCM) -- will that be good enough or do I really need to find a 4th LOR?
I think it is better to have 4th LOR just to make it stronger. May be add another PCCM LOR if you think they know you well.
criticalenthusiast
New Member
Any opinion on Step scores? @Doctor Bob
Last edited:
Depends on the program. Some do explicitly ask for four. Others only want 3. Some want PD letters and some do not.
Hmmm. I am getting a 4th LOR obtained by August is I am doing a Chief Year at an external institution from my home residency program.
On the one hand, if they've never taken a DO before there may be an internal reason. On the other hand, someone always has to be the first.I am a DO with an average CV; I know Harvard and Yale are not giving me a look this year, but I was curious about everyone's thoughts about applying to programs that historically have not had a DO, whether it is a prestigious program or not. I don't want to waste money applying to programs that won't interview me solely because I am a DO.
If you're a DO looking at places that have never had DOs before, then you ought to have a compelling reason to put your money there: it's the program closest to home, etc.
There's no benefit to having more letters than a program is asking for. If a program wants 3 letters, assign that many. The rest aren't going to be looked at.I am applying with 4 LOR (1 PD and 3 PCCM). I am from primary care program and visa seeking so it will be tough one 🙁
I think it is better to have 4th LOR just to make it stronger. May be add another PCCM LOR if you think they know you well.
By the fellowship application stage, the step scores are starting to be a bit useless. Residency programs don't care what your MCAT scores were.Any opinion on Step scores? @Doctor Bob
What does matter about them is trends: did you fail any? Did you always just barely pass? Were the scores well above average? It gives an idea of how you do test-taking wise, and perhaps your test prep as well. But... really, they are data points that are fixed for you now. Nothing you can do about them, nor can you affect the importance that programs put on them.
What programs are known for being clinically rigorous and diverse (decent exposure to non-MICU such as CTICU, SICU/Trauma, etc, ECMO, transplant)
On the flip side
Which programs are known for being academic powerhouses in PCCM (more so on the CCM side)
On the flip side
Which programs are known for being academic powerhouses in PCCM (more so on the CCM side)
criticalenthusiast
New Member
Makes sense. Thanks for your valuable insight 🙂On the one hand, if they've never taken a DO before there may be an internal reason. On the other hand, someone always has to be the first.
If you're a DO looking at places that have never had DOs before, then you ought to have a compelling reason to put your money there: it's the program closest to home, etc.
There's no benefit to having more letters than a program is asking for. If a program wants 3 letters, assign that many. The rest aren't going to be looked at.
By the fellowship application stage, the step scores are starting to be a bit useless. Residency programs don't care what your MCAT scores were.
What does matter about them is trends: did you fail any? Did you always just barely pass? Were the scores well above average? It gives an idea of how you do test-taking wise, and perhaps your test prep as well. But... really, they are data points that are fixed for you now. Nothing you can do about them, nor can you affect the importance that programs put on them.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many experiences do yall have on ERAS. I don't have many and don't want to add fluff.
and how do people feel about adding an important hobby to their experiences rather than justlisting it under "hobbies & interests" section
and how do people feel about adding an important hobby to their experiences rather than justlisting it under "hobbies & interests" section
hello all, kind of a silly question, but for the section for LOR where it asks for specialty, I had assumed it was the specialty I was applying to but is it actually referring to the specialty of the LOR writer? If thats the case I have them all listed as PCCM; doubt this will actually matter but just wanted to ask to be sure.
also, other question again regarding LORs: I have my 4th letter uploaded however its still being processed by EFDO. It wont be avalible to assign till monday at the earliest according to the EFDO office. I was still planning on assigning it once its available, but should I also email the programs letting them know a 4th letter has been uploaded? My understanding is that the programs download the applications once and then never look back to see if anything was added.
also, other question again regarding LORs: I have my 4th letter uploaded however its still being processed by EFDO. It wont be avalible to assign till monday at the earliest according to the EFDO office. I was still planning on assigning it once its available, but should I also email the programs letting them know a 4th letter has been uploaded? My understanding is that the programs download the applications once and then never look back to see if anything was added.
hello all, kind of a silly question, but for the section for LOR where it asks for specialty, I had assumed it was the specialty I was applying to but is it actually referring to the specialty of the LOR writer? If thats the case I have them all listed as PCCM; doubt this will actually matter but just wanted to ask to be sure.
also, other question again regarding LORs: I have my 4th letter uploaded however its still being processed by EFDO. It wont be avalible to assign till monday at the earliest according to the EFDO office. I was still planning on assigning it once its available, but should I also email the programs letting them know a 4th letter has been uploaded? My understanding is that the programs download the applications once and then never look back to see if anything was added.
I wrote pulm crit for LOR specialty
Apps submitted [emoji50][emoji100]good luck everyone
Hey all, I was informed by a PD of a program that I applied to that my post-graduation ACGME training program, i.e. my residency is not filled out under my education section. Speaking to ERAS it seems unlikely that I would be able to edit my app at this stage; any advice regarding the situation? I was debating if I should reach out to programs that I applied to and letting them know. The PD had mentioned that it was clear that I had gone to residency and completed my training from my letters, but that I technically show up as not having completed residency under the education section.
When do we sign up for thalamus?
Hey all, I was informed by a PD of a program that I applied to that my post-graduation ACGME training program, i.e. my residency is not filled out under my education section. Speaking to ERAS it seems unlikely that I would be able to edit my app at this stage; any advice regarding the situation? I was debating if I should reach out to programs that I applied to and letting them know. The PD had mentioned that it was clear that I had gone to residency and completed my training from my letters, but that I technically show up as not having completed residency under the education section.
Ask eras to uncertify your application, add in residency program and recertify it
I dont think they can. I also made a mistake to certify before I fully updated my inform. Called AAMC, myERAS. They said no. One of their suggestions was to apply again next year 😵Ask eras to uncertify your application, add in residency program and recertify it
Hey all, I was informed by a PD of a program that I applied to that my post-graduation ACGME training program, i.e. my residency is not filled out under my education section. Speaking to ERAS it seems unlikely that I would be able to edit my app at this stage; any advice regarding the situation? I was debating if I should reach out to programs that I applied to and letting them know. The PD had mentioned that it was clear that I had gone to residency and completed my training from my letters, but that I technically show up as not having completed residency under the education section.
This is a lot more common than you'd expect. I think I got 4 or 5 this year that didn't have a residency listed. Searching through the rest of the application makes it clear that they've done residency but yea, it's a bit more work on my part. Depending on how a program reviews apps, this could be something that creates a flag and the app gets put in the "needs further review" pile, or it could create a flag and the app gets put in the "no" pile. Everyone does application reviews differently.
All the nerves of this waiting game 😅😅 what’s the earliest that programs start sending out interviews? From the past cycles
Can't speak for everyone. I send out my first wave around the first week of August.
This is a lot more common than you'd expect. I think I got 4 or 5 this year that didn't have a residency listed. Searching through the rest of the application makes it clear that they've done residency but yea, it's a bit more work on my part. Depending on how a program reviews apps, this could be something that creates a flag and the app gets put in the "needs further review" pile, or it could create a flag and the app gets put in the "no" pile. Everyone does application reviews differently.
Can't speak for everyone. I send out my first wave around the first week of August.
Would not having one's medical school transcript processed put you in the "needs further review" pile?
Would not having one's medical school transcript processed put you in the "needs further review" pile?
For me, no. At the fellowship application level, the medical school transcript is somewhat irrelevant. If your performance on exams and throughout residency was good, then how you did at the granular level in medical school doesn't matter.
Maybe there are places that use this information in their decision making but I would imagine it's not common.
"B- in histology? pfft.. rejected!"
reg_medical
New Member
While reviewing my CV (well after I had certified and submitted it), I noticed that my program name appears slightly different on the ACGME list than how I had written it in my CV. The word "Health" is inappropriately placed in my version; otherwise, it is the same. I had always seen people call my program with the name I submitted. Little did I know if I needed to recheck it. I am now anxious about making this irreversible mistake and await my fate. Any idea if ERAS can allow for a correction?
On average how many interviews do programs give out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
criticalenthusiast
New Member
Is it normal to send out Virtual house for all applicants or to only applicants who are considered for interview?
criticalenthusiast
New Member
I guess 10 for every spotOn average how many interviews do programs give out?
criticalenthusiast
New Member
You don't have to, you can directly login by clicking on 'sign in with AAMC account' and use your eras credentialsWhen do we sign up for thalamus?
Is it normal to send out Virtual house for all applicants or to only applicants who are considered for interview?
all applicants
D
deleted1190329
Well that number is for Residency. But for fellowships they generally interview at least 40 candidates for 3 spots. Sometimes 30 candidates for 2 spots.I guess 10 for every spot
Similar threads
- Replies
- 209
- Views
- 80K