Official 2014-2015 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

Started by gutonc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Buffalobills, Kozela, Furisemider, Gimmecardiology, How are you guys? Coming 2 weeks seem very very crucial. Good luck to all of us. I am anxious but can't do anything.....
Hanging in there. Real nervous but whatever. I really don't mind earning 200000$ and having a chill life. That's the best 2nd option I have ever gotten in my life 🙂
 
Hanging in there. Real nervous but whatever. I really don't mind earning 200000$ and having a chill life. That's the best 2nd option I have ever gotten in my life 🙂
Not bad, still checking my e-mail 20 times a day, hope dies last, so still waiting for some miracle. At least one thing I am happy about - I did not send any money to Rush, ha-ha.
 
How many interviews do my fellow IMGs have?

I am an IMG on J1 visa, 3 publications (on pubmed), 3 posters, USMLE scores 223/251/233 in a strong and well known community program.
Applied to a total of 110 programs
3 interviews (>10 rejections, maybe more)...

Should I be expecting a few more interviews or we are at the peak?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many interviews do my fellow IMGs have?

I am an IMG on J1 visa, 3 publications (on pubmed), 3 posters, USMLE scores 223/251/233 in a strong and well known community program.
Applied to a total of 110 programs
3 interviews (>10 rejections, maybe more)...

Should I be expecting a few more interviews or we are at the peak?
You should feel good.... I got no interviews and I applied to 110 programs too.... img/gc/university program mid tier/ scores 251/241/235 /good research ongoing/ one poster/multiple publications/basic science experience.....
 
How much more competitive can it be? This doesn't make any sense... what else is there to do if you have good scores and research.....
 
How much more competitive can it be? This doesn't make any sense... what else is there to do if you have good scores and research.....
It is not necessarily truly competitive, it is bias as well in my experience - bias mainly against those trained in a community program and then against IMG. This is my 3rd year trying. Credentials: IMG, GC, 254/237/196, Masters in Research, Univ affiliated program, 2 years of dedicated research with 6 paper publications, 3 additional papers in press/revision (mainly first author papers), about 15 abstracts, award, involved in multi-site trials; great letters from reputed person etc, but so far only have 5 interviews. For me, it is just so sad that people in the field of science (I mean PDs) are so afraid to drift away just a little bit from orthodox tradition - i.e., those who have ivy league names after them can sell them almost in any academic program regardless if they are interested in research or not, while someone who is genuinely interested in research (especially in this era of funding) is not getting a chance despite maximum effort, just because he had to train in a University affiliated program because he was an IMG and took whatever he got for residency. Hope it helps.
 
Apparently the place I went to med school sent out interviews a few days ago and did not invite me... I had kinda thought the fact I went to med school there would have helped me get an interview / out of courtesy? Guess not...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apparently the place I went to med school sent out interviews a few days ago and did not invite me... I had kinda thought the fact I went to med school there would have helped me get an interview / out of courtesy? Guess not...
Can always write to the PD and express your interest to return to the area. PD may not be from the same medical school as yours = no love I guess 🙂
 
Hanging in there. Real nervous but whatever. I really don't mind earning 200000$ and having a chill life. That's the best 2nd option I have ever gotten in my life 🙂

Well , from personal experience I can tell you that hospitalist is far from chill and you would earn every cent of that 200K. 😉 So better don't lose faith and it's gonna be all right.
 
Can always write to the PD and express your interest to return to the area. PD may not be from the same medical school as yours = no love I guess 🙂
A friend of mine (AMG, grad of a prestigious med school in manhattan, graduated 1yr ago) met w the Pulm Med PD at his own uni program told him that he will not be able to offer him an iv. reason #1 : there are already a bunch new grads this year who want to apply to their own program. reason #2: His papers are not first author.
 
This site has been a great support - so I made a login to add my one of only 2 invites so far 🙁
Mount Sinai Urban Community - got it on 8/21 (Dates are 9/10, 9/17, 10/1, 10/8, 10/22, 10/29)

I have amended the list below.
And before anyone asks - IMG/ Mid-Tier Uni affiliated program / GC / Chief Year / 1 publication/ Kick-ass letters and hospitalist leadership roles (the last 2 don't count but I threw it in there to make myself feel better about myself)



AMG Invites for 2014-2015

University of Rochester 7/21
University of Pittsburgh 7/23, 8/11
Baylor College of Medicine 7/28 (only one date offered 9/26)
University of Hawaii 7/28
UMass 7/29
Cleveland Clinic 7/29 ( 9/5, 9/12)
Columbia-NYP 7/31
Vanderbilt - 8/1
Beth Israel (NYC) - 8/1
Medical College of Wisconsin - 8/4
Yale- 8/5
UF-Jacksonville - 8/5 (Wed and Fri in late Aug, Sept, early Oct. Several dates )
George Washington University - 8/5
Univ of Vermont - 8/5
Univ of Oklahoma - 8/5 (Tuesdays and Fridays in Sept and one in Oct - 9/2, 9/9, 9/13, 10/4)
Texas Tech-Lubbock - 8/5 (sat 9/6, 9/20)
St. John's-Detroit 8/8
UT Southwestern - 8/11
University of Washington - 8/11, 8/13
Emory (Clinical) - 8/11
Baylor Dallas - 8/12 (only for 9/26)
University of Wisconsin- 8/12 (9/3, 9/10, 9/16)
Cedars-Sinai - 8/13 (9/11, 9/18, 10/20, 10/27)
University of Cincinnati- 8/13 (9/11, 9/25, 9/30)
Johns Hopkins- 8/13 (9/29, 10/6, 10/10, 10/17)
NYU - 8/13 (9/12, 9/19, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31)
Methodist Houston - 8/13 (9/25, 10/2, 10/3, 10/9, 10/10, 10/16).
Brigham and Women's - 8/15 (9/9, 9/22, 10/1, 10/14, 10/20)
U Chicago - 8/15, 8/19 (dates 10/1, 10/7)
Wash University St Louis - 8/15
Mayo Clinic - 8/15 (dates: 10/1-10/3; 10/8-10/10)
Stanford - 8/15 (dates: 9/10, 9/24, 10/1, 10/15)
UCLA - 8/15
University of Maryland - 8/15
Mount Sinai (investigator) - 8/18 (9/9, 9/12, 9/29, 10/6, 10/20, 10/27)
University of Indiana - 8/18
Tufts - 8/18
Duke - 8/19 (9/3, 9/10, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/15)
BIDMC - 8/20 (9/23, 10/6, 10/9, 10/16, 10/21)
MGH - 8/20 (9/20, 10/6, 10/20)
Loyola - 8/20 (9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15)
UNC - 8/20
University of South Florida - 8/20
Louisville -8/21 ( Sept 12, 16, 19, 22, 23 & 26)
Summa Health - 8/12
Mount Sinai Urban Community - 8/21
Kaiser SF - 8/21
University of Michigan - 8/22
Northwestern 8/22
University of Illinios Chicago – 8/22 (10/13, 10/14, 10/17, 10/31)
Northwestern – 8/22 (9/22, 9/29, 10/1, and 10/6)
Texas Heart – 8/22

IMG Invites for 2014-2015
University of Pittsburgh 7/23
Geisinger - 8/3
Emory Research Track - 8/6
St Josephs Mercy Oakland MI - 8/5
University of Cincinnati, OH - 8/7, 8/11
Beth Israel, NYC - 8/7
St. John, Michigan - 8/8
Henry ford - 8/11
Loma Linda - 8/11
Medical college of Georgia - 8/11
East Tennessee University - 8/11, 8/18
Texas Tech University - 8/11
UTSW - 8/11
Emory (Clinical) - 8/11
NYU - 8/13 (9/12, 9/19, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31)
Cleveland Clinic - 8/13 (9/12, 9/26, 10/3)
Johns Hopkins- 8/13 (9/29, 10/6, 10/10, 10/17)
Cedar Sinai - 8/13
Kaiser Permanente, LA - 8/13
St. Vincent's Indiana - 8/14
Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center - 8/14
Creighton University – 8/14
University of Maryland - 8/15
Brigham and Women's - 8/15 (9/9, 9/22, 10/1, 10/14, 10/20)
Tufts - 8/18
University of New Mexico - 8/19
Duke - 8/19 (9/3, 9/10, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/15)
University of Buffalo - 8/19
BIDM - 8/20 (9/23, 10/6, 10/9, 10/16, 10/21)
University of Minnesota - 8/20
Weschester NYMC - 8/20
Boston University - 8/20 (9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/20)
University of Iowa - 8/20
UC San Diego - 8/20
Tulane University – 8/21 (10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28)
KP - SF - 8/21
UC Irvine - 8/22
Northwestern – 8/22 (9/22, 9/29, 10/1, and 10/6)
Univ of CT-Hartford program – 8/22
Cooper University – 8/22 (9/19, 10/2, 10/10, 10/17)
Texas A& M – 8/22 (9/22, 9/29, 10/6)
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center – 8/22 (9/29, 10/8, 10/23, 10/28)
Texas Heart – 8/22/14
Mount Sinai Urban Community - 8/21 (Dates are 9/10, 9/17, 10/1, 10/8, 10/22, 10/29)

Rejections for 2014-2015
University of Washington - 8/4
University of Michigan - 8/7
Columbia - NYP - 8/8
U Chicago - 8/14
JHU - 8/14
University of Maryland - 8/15
Washington University - 8/19
Duke - 8/19
University of New Mexico - 8/20 (waiting list)
Boston University - 8/20
MGH – 8/21
Beth Israel Deaconese Medical Center – 8/21
New York Medical College – 8/21
Mayo clinic Rochester – 8/21
Copper University – 8/22
Georgetown University - 8/23
 
Northwestern vs u of Chicago, can't attend both interviews, any recommendations
Based on what you are looking for. For me, I am a better fit for Chicago. It all comes down to:
1. You clinical interests- procedures vs non-invasive
2. Your research interests- basic science vs clinical
GL
 
I interviewed at NW for residency and I liked it. I was under the impression that program was very cush. It is the same with fellowship? It is private hospital, does it affect autonomy. I know that u of Chicago has strong research but how about clinical training?
 
I interviewed at NW for residency and I liked it. I was under the impression that program was very cush. It is the same with fellowship? It is private hospital, does it affect autonomy. I know that u of Chicago has strong research but how about clinical training?
From what I have heard, Chicago has great clinical training program (They get TONS of patients and procedures). NW is private hospital and that does affect autonomy, but the are great at research. As I mentioned above, it's all about the fit!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know about Cleveland Clinic in regards to clinical research? Without knowing anyone there, it seems that they have a great basic research program with Lerner institute and obviously strong clinical training. I could not find much about academic clinical trials and most seem to be corporate sponsored. Is this impression accurate? Thanks!
 
Does anyone know about Cleveland Clinic in regards to clinical research? Without knowing anyone there, it seems that they have a great basic research program with Lerner institute and obviously strong clinical training. I could not find much about academic clinical trials and most seem to be corporate sponsored. Is this impression accurate? Thanks!
I have couple friends in the program. CCF is very much like Texas Heart. It's super busy and there are some opportunities to be involved with active research. Basic research (from what I have heard) is NOT the strong point for clinic. They have one of the sickest CICU though!
 
I have couple friends in the program. CCF is very much like Texas Heart. It's super busy and there are some opportunities to be involved with active research. Basic research (from what I have heard) is NOT the strong point for clinic. They have one of the sickest CICU though!

Which program is Texas Heart? Is it UT Houston? Baylor? Baylor/St Luke's? Thanks
 
IMG/US Citizen/ 225,200, Step 3 yet to be taken
No meaningful research. Community Program
Alleghany General Hospital 8/25
Interview Dates are 9/21- 9/27

How is this program? Competitive?
What are my chances there? How many do they interview?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UF Gainsville Mondays : 9/15, 9/22, 9/29, 10/6 ; Fridays 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10

Can anyone comment on the Florida Programs? Strenghts/weaknesses? Good/better/best? Would appreciate it.
 
IMG/US Citizen/ 225,200, Step 3 yet to be taken
No meaningful research. Community Program
Alleghany General Hospital 8/25
Interview Dates are 9/21- 9/27

How is this program? Competitive?
What are my chances there? How many do they interview?
It's not a bad program at all. They also have interventional and heart failure fellowships which means that you will see advanced heart failure patients and EP procedures too.
If they have invited you to the interview it means that they liked you!
 
Do you guys think some of these places will send out more invites? Or do most places send out invites only one time? Looking at the threads, it seems that some programs sent out invites in two waves. Is this an exception or a norm?