Official 2015 Rank Order List and "Help me rank" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been going back and forth between my top three for the past few weeks. I'm at my wit's end. I would really really really appreciate any guidance or opinions you guys could offer.

1) Penn/Brown 3) Yale

I was not impressed by New Haven and I'm pretty confident that my dislike of the place was enough to keep it at three. It's an incredible program, though. I had a good vibe from the Penn day and a mixed impression of Philadelphia, however, it is the closest program to friends/family. I'm not sure if I can handle a medium-big city program, though - the thought of philly traffic, crime, etc kind of worries me. But with Brown, the program I felt very good about during my day, the location also makes me unsure because of the freezing cold (I like the snow in smaller doses) and the small city (worried about dating scene/things to do). I would deeply appreciate any help. Good luck to everyone!!

i had a similar issue, and ranked Brown at 3 for similar reasons (cold, small city, but mostly because i don't have friends or family there and could see myself feeling a little isolated). my #1 is a program that i liked a lot but also had friends and family and could easily expand my social circle. i think that factor probably ultimately trumped everything else because happiness is important.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! Rare post for me.... Hoping for last minute advice. I have zero interest in academics, just want a program where I'll get good training, decent moonlighting, and a fun town to live in. Top three I'm torn between:

1. Mayo (big name, but wouldn't be too pumped about Rochester)

2. University of Arizona (Tucson was real cool, decent moonlight, and residents seemed happy) and

3. University of Oklahoma OKC (OKC would be fun, they have great moonlighting, but I've heard the program is very shaky right now, which has me nervous)

Hey there! Rare post for me.... Hoping for last minute advice. I have zero interest in academics, just want a program where I'll get good training, decent moonlighting, and a fun town to live in. Top three I'm torn between:

2. University of Arizona (Tucson was real cool, decent moonlight, and residents seemed happy) and

3. University of Oklahoma OKC (OKC would be fun, they have great moonlighting, but I've heard the program is very shaky right now, which has me nervous)

Hey u have any other interviews besides these?

Mayo certainly at too. I interviewed at OU but hated the faculty. PD seemed arrogant and residents seemed odd with ones I like to get along with. Tucson not sure of program but it's a good location though gets very very hot in summer

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is in his 3rd year and Tuscon and cannot wait to leave. He said everyone assumes that since IV season is nov-jan that the weather is incredible because when you are interviewing at places like michigan, new york, during that time, it is. However, from March to October, ESPECIALLY APRIL-AUGUST, it is DESERT! It's hot, humid, and since you are sweating constantly, you end up breaking out and getting acne like a teenager all over again.

Just my 2 cents. Plus Mayo's name will carry A LOT of weight. I would definitely put them as #1.

OKC is fun? I guess there's stuff there now, and it's economically booming (or was -- we'll see how that shakes out with lower gas prices). Not a town I'm a fan of, though -- weather is annoying (hot summer, surprisingly cold smells in the winter with snow/ice), and it's so freaking brown. I don't know a ton about their program except that historically it seemed to mainly be filled with people who attended medical school there, which is good and bad -- good that students stay, bad because it could be insular, which can be a big deal in a small program. They lost their inpatient unit years ago, but that's not necessarily a huge thing if the program can find other local inpatient options. I think they have lots of VA exposure. There are a few posters here who trained there who might be able to give you better information.

Hello everyone! I'm having some last minute ROL doubts about which of these programs to rank higher: SUNY Buffalo or Wayne State\DMC. I liked both and good good vibes from the PD and residents, both have a Child fellowship, both have ****ty weather and I'm not crazy about either city (but quality of the program trumps location).

Any thoughts?
And in case it's worth mentioning, I'm an IMG.

Reno vs UW Boise? Know this may be a long shot since these programs are smaller and not as well known.
Having a hard time, Idaho is going to give me a great first two years, but I have a spouse who is a teacher and moving after year two sounds not so great. On the other hand while Reno seems to really take care of their residents, and I like the area. I worry my education may be a bit lacking there. Any input?

Have my other 7 places locked in but having issues figuring out which of these I should pick over the other.

My friend is in his 3rd year and Tuscon and cannot wait to leave. He said everyone assumes that since IV season is nov-jan that the weather is incredible because when you are interviewing at places like michigan, new york, during that time, it is. However, from March to October, ESPECIALLY APRIL-AUGUST, it is DESERT! It's hot, humid, and since you are sweating constantly, you end up breaking out and getting acne like a teenager all over again.

Just my 2 cents. Plus Mayo's name will carry A LOT of weight. I would definitely put them as #1.

I really am baffled by how much folks on this forum emphasize weather in their decision-making.

Reactions: 1 user
I really am baffled by how much folks on this forum emphasize weather in their decision-making.

Ah, weather is a crucial part of day to day enjoyment of life. Of course a person's definition of good weather can vary. My sister just moved from Chicago to Phoenix, and I view that a weather downgrade.

I once saw a list of cities ordered by how many days a year they were between 55 and 75 degrees with no rain. I thought this was a good approach because “too hot” and “too cold” both suck. It went something like this:
LA, San D 50%,
Seattle 45%,
SF 35%,
Chicago 20%,
NYC,Houston 18%,
ATL 17%,
Phoenix, Vegas 16%,
Boston, Phili, San Antonio, Jack 15%,
Indianapolis 14%,
Wash DC 13%,
SLC, Denver 10%.
Most everything else hit the single digits.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah, weather is a crucial part of day to day enjoyment of life. Of course a person's definition of good weather can vary. My sister just moved from Chicago to Phoenix, and I view that a weather downgrade.

After living in Portland for 4 years I'm sure you're just allergic to the sun.

So... you are not sure if you can handle medium-big city, but also worried about small city. And New Haven was not impressive. So what kind of location DO you like? What are the positive aspects of your interested programs?

Preferably not too hot, not too cold, not big, not small, no crime, low cost of living, at least 364/365 sunny days. (I'm just teasing, maui. I totally get it)

Members don't see this ad :)
In the past, you have expressed this sentiment a little more specifically - pointing out that weather in the midwest is really not that much worse than the north east (something about nobody playing golf in New York in January and summers being beautiful in both places). And I think thats a good point, that in the part of the country where about 1/3 or more of people live the weather is pretty bad for 5 or so months. And so to not go to Mayo because of the weather doesn't make sense if your other option is a much worse program in New York state. But I can totally understand somebody choosing somewhere warmer altogether!

it's really a big deal. Can be similar to family, and location (big city vs country). Especially if you're coming from somewhere where you've been spoiled all your life with gorgeous weather. Even a couple of hours of sunshine can make a drastic lifestyle difference and for some people it can really mean the difference between happy and miserable.

Last edited:
Reno vs UW Boise? Know this may be a long shot since these programs are smaller and not as well known.
Having a hard time, Idaho is going to give me a great first two years, but I have a spouse who is a teacher and moving after year two sounds not so great. On the other hand while Reno seems to really take care of their residents, and I like the area. I worry my education may be a bit lacking there. Any input?

Have my other 7 places locked in but having issues figuring out which of these I should pick over the other.

Hey....so with RENO, i would definitely rank it last and reason being is that there has been A LOT of changes in the faculty there. I know that just this October, their was not only a new PD from North Dakota, but also, the chairman is new as well. Whenever there are random unexpected changes in a program, it is never good. I would stir away from Reno. Plus I am not sure if you know this, but it is a community based program, and their IM and education is definitely lacking because beleive it or not, the amount of patients you actually see in a day is VERY minimum

Issue resolved - feel free to delete post.

Hey....so with RENO, i would definitely rank it last and reason being is that there has been A LOT of changes in the faculty there. I know that just this October, their was not only a new PD from North Dakota, but also, the chairman is new as well. Whenever there are random unexpected changes in a program, it is never good. I would stir away from Reno. Plus I am not sure if you know this, but it is a community based program, and their IM and education is definitely lacking because beleive it or not, the amount of patients you actually see in a day is VERY minimum

I'm really confused. Didn't you ask for help ranking this exact same program earlier in this thread? From my understanding the PD change was expected, I thought the chairman had been around a couple years.

Again, I'm really surprised you have such strong feelings towards this program when you didn't know where to rank it for yourself just a month or so ago. What changed?

Oh god don't look at your rank list. I had to forcibly tell myself not to rethink anything and just make sure it's certified. 3 more hours and we don't have any responsibility in this process anymore!

Reactions: 1 user
One hour to go and I'm still going back and forth on Dartmouth vs BU...

Down to the wire, but deciding between: Brown, Stanford, WashU, Northwestern

BU pros: Peds Psych inpatient exposure, excellent for CL
BU cons: kind of underwhelmed at my interview
Dartmouth pros: more research, cheaper than Boston, liked residents
Dartmouth cons: no inpatient child psych, would have to move if I decide on CL fellowship, kind of got a vibe that they don't really prioritize psychotherapy as much as the Boston programs

Yale vs Mayo, help!

Yale is an amazing program, I think we have significantly more diverse clinical and research opportunities. And I really like the location more than I did Rochester!

As a trainee at Yale, I can speak to how happy I am to have matched here. I am finishing my intern year here and have had nothing but positive experiences. The wide range of clinical exposure, world class and innovative didactics, in addition to a warm camaraderie remind me every day why I loved Yale in interview season.

I deliberately took a multi-hour postprandial nap to prevent myself from making a rash last minute change.

Good luck, all! Hoping for the best for everyone.

This is a great thread. Wanted to bump it for us 3rd years.

I am so glad this is done. Have my license, doing alright in residency and don't give an F anymore. Wooooweee

Few things have made me more miserable in my time in Chicago as a native Texan than this damn cold.
Same here, except CA instead of Texas. Can't wait 'till I'm back in a place where people panic when it dips below 60F.

Hello guys it is the first time I post here. I am medical student applied for internal medicine residency this year. I interviewed in
st joseph - NJ
memorial hospital of rhode island
uni of Toledo
uni of marshall
howard uni
uni of central florida
uni of Miami - Jackson memorial hospital
Virginia tech uni - carilion clinic
uni of buffalo - NY
hurley medical center
lahey clinic

I need your advice, because I am not sure how to rank there programs. I would really appreciate any help from anyone here. THANKS ALOT

Hello guys it is the first time I post here. I am medical student applied for internal medicine residency this year. I interviewed in
st joseph - NJ
memorial hospital of rhode island
uni of Toledo
uni of marshall
howard uni
uni of central florida
uni of Miami - Jackson memorial hospital
Virginia tech uni - carilion clinic
uni of buffalo - NY
hurley medical center
lahey clinic

I need your advice, because I am not sure how to rank there programs. I would really appreciate any help from anyone here. THANKS ALOT
This is a psychiatry forum, so you should ask in an IM forum.