Official 2016-2017 Anesthesia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mybubbles627

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like last year I made a googlesheet with a bunch of information to help each other gather our competitiveness along with interview invites/dates etc. Hope you guys like it!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C7sWqh0XY9w89S-cTS0PcGfchrEeIaIvgxnNH99-SVA

BE RESPECTFUL OF THE SPREADSHEET OR I WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE SETTINGS SO PEOPLE WILL NEED PERMISSION TO EDIT IT.

PLEASE FILL OUT APPLICANT INFORMATION, INTERVIEW OFFERS, and INTERVIEW DATES.
- If someone posts an offer without putting dates they will be deleted
- If someone has multiple offers without applicant information they will be deleted
- This spreadsheet is only actually helpful if it is complete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to tell you guys good luck! Enjoy interview season and fourth year!

Reactions: 1 user
Question on people's opinions. I'm currently doing a rotation at a "top 10" (sometimes on "top 20" lists) gas program.

I've already got 4 letters of recommendation, but all from community docs (2 anesthesia, 1 family med, 1 icu).

My question is, would it be worth holding back one of those letters in case I get a letter from someone at this program where I'm rotating? I would just end up submitting that last letter a couple weeks after submitting my app. I just don't know how much a letter from a big name program could/would help my app?

Question on people's opinions. I'm currently doing a rotation at a "top 10" (sometimes on "top 20" lists) gas program.

I've already got 4 letters of recommendation, but all from community docs (2 anesthesia, 1 family med, 1 icu).

My question is, would it be worth holding back one of those letters in case I get a letter from someone at this program where I'm rotating? I would just end up submitting that last letter a couple weeks after submitting my app. I just don't know how much a letter from a big name program could/would help my app?

I've been told that LOR in this field aren't super helpful as long as you meet the quantitative requirements you can get interviews and that's where you make your mark for a program. That being said, many people submit their application on 9/15 with one or no letters yet submitted. Having three already in is going to be more than the vast majority. Holding on the 4th for a while won't hurt you.

Yeah uhh I think those are the school the person applied to....

Probably. One of those programs is my home program, and I can't imagine they would take away students for an interview before inviting home students.

Probably. One of those programs is my home program, and I can't imagine they would take away students for an interview before inviting home students.

For what it's worth, last years sheet only showed one school giving interview invites on 9/16 (loyola) none on 9/15 and only a few others before 9/20. Don't get too anxious peeps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratualtions!!!

It's crazy to see most of the Step 1 scores (so far) on the spreadsheet seem to be 240s and 250s. But I'm guessing that's representative of SDN rather than the general applicant pool to anesthesia since I thought the average for anesthesia was around 230 give or take. I would think there are US MDs getting interviews at decent places with 210s and 220s, but most of them probably aren't going to be contributing to the SDN spreadsheet or even know it exists.

Dropping in to say good luck to you all. Interview season was a blast- exhausting, but so much fun.

One piece of advice for the men that'll I'll pass on from the PD at my medical school: invest in good shoes. Nothing looks sillier than a killer suit with 5 year old cracked and scuffed captoes.

One piece of advice for the men that'll I'll pass on from the PD at my medical school: invest in good shoes. Nothing looks sillier than a killer suit with 5 year old cracked and scuffed captoes.

lol I matched to my #1 in danskos

Dropping in to say good luck to you all. Interview season was a blast- exhausting, but so much fun.

Never figured out why that mattered when you're gonna be in scrubs and sneakers all day

I wear my Allen Edmonds with my scrubs. They match my bow-tie.

The clothes make the man

SgVWao0.png

Reactions: 1 users
Do a lot of interviews have to change into scrubs for the interview? I didn't realize that was a thing, but I kind of love it. Anesthesiology, you are my people.

Do a lot of interviews have to change into scrubs for the interview? I didn't realize that was a thing, but I kind of love it. Anesthesiology, you are my people.

Sinai does scrubs for the whole day but if you don't bring your own you will be given paper scrubs. Changed into scrubs at Rochester and Brigham but changed back after we finished visiting the ORs. I think there were others but don't remember off the top of my head.

For those of you with offers already, have you been receiving them through the built-in ERAS scheduler?
Just wondering.

Sinai does scrubs for the whole day but if you don't bring your own you will be given paper scrubs. Changed into scrubs at Rochester and Brigham but changed back after we finished visiting the ORs. I think there were others but don't remember off the top of my head.
Mayo Clinic and UAB are two others that also have you change into scrubs.

For those of you with offers already, have you been receiving them through the built-in ERAS scheduler?
Just wondering.
Not me. I got a message through ERAS saying to email them with my preferred dates.

2nd invite today! First was from my home institution, which is through Thalamus, and for today's invite, I was given 3 dates and had to reserve directly with the admin.

Crap, I was counting on my suit to cover up some tattoos. :/ Do we get to wear the scrub jacket too?

Crap, I was counting on my suit to cover up some tattoos. :/ Do we get to wear the scrub jacket too?

There are make up options to hide tattoos. You cannot wear long sleeved shirts underneath scrubs in the OR areas.

↑ C'mon man. You're a hologram! The possibilities are endless for you. :laugh:

Seriously though, wouldn't you rather have it to be known at the interview than a problem for 4 years of residency?

Last edited:
For those of you who are getting a lot of interview invites, are your dean's letters in yet? I haven't gotten anything outside of my home program yet, and I applied to a lot of the programs that are sending out invites, and my scores / grades are in line with people who *are* getting invites, and now I am afraid that I screwed up something royally in my application. But maybe it's because my Dean's letter won't go out until October 1st?

For those of you who are getting a lot of interview invites, are your dean's letters in yet? I haven't gotten anything outside of my home program yet, and I applied to a lot of the programs that are sending out invites, and my scores / grades are in line with people who *are* getting invites, and now I am afraid that I screwed up something royally in my application. But maybe it's because my Dean's letter won't go out until October 1st?

No one's dean's letter goes out until October 1st. Most invites that get sent out this early are from home sites, away rotations, and from specific programs that send out early invites. Having nothing at this point means nothing.

Reactions: 1 users

IDK if I count as getting a lot of interviews, but I have 3 so far and MSPE is not out yet

Is it an issue if I only have two letters in right now? I'm waiting on my attending who has assured me that he'll get my third in by the end of this week, but I'm not entirely confident in his statement

IDK if I count as getting a lot of interviews, but I have 3 so far and MSPE is not out yet
I just emailed our program director here- she double checked, and my Step 1 scores hadn't been assigned to any programs yet. FIXED NOW. I'm a maroon. I'm glad I emailed to ask, though.

I just emailed our program director here- she double checked, and my Step 1 scores hadn't been assigned to any programs yet. FIXED NOW. I'm a maroon. I'm glad I emailed to ask, though.
Wow thanks to you I double checked if I assigned my USMLE transcript and I forgot... I'm an idiot. Hopefully this doesn't affect anything being late a few days.....

Wow thanks to you I double checked if I assigned my USMLE transcript and I forgot... I'm an idiot. Hopefully this doesn't affect anything being late a few days.....

If I could help but one fellow applicant, sirrah, then my suffering was worth it.

A little bummed I only have 2 right now. Was hoping to get some love from UAB, UVA, and Mayo but hopefully those will come later in the season. Maybe the supposed regional bias is playing a factor.

It is too early to make any assumptions. Yes, check once to make sure you actually submitted what you thought. Then take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy 4th year.

Be patient, it is still very, very early.

My ERAS shows that all my documents as "available" for all programs. Is anyone else seeing this?

For those who received II's from Texas Tech, did you also receive an 'application received' email or just solely the invite? I got the former without the latter and trying to delineate whether or not that's their way of saying 'thanks for your interest. we will keep you in mind.' -type of thing.

Thanks!

... If programs invite you to interview they will be specific and clear about it.

Come on.

Of course lol. I apologize if I was unclear. I have already received II's. What I'm trying to figure out is if those who got interviews from that program also got that email or if they only got the interview invite. If they only got the II (and no arbitrary "thank you for your application" email), than it would seem to me that they reviewed my application and decided not to send me an interview at this moment in time. Which is fine either way. I just figured I'd ask since this would be the place to do so.

You guys barely finished submitting eras and you're worried about getting interviews already? It takes time to read apps when you have hundreds of them sitting in front of you.

↑ C'mon man. You're a hologram! The possibilities are endless for you. :laugh:

Seriously though, wouldn't you rather have it to be known at the interview than a problem for 4 years of residency?

I've never gotten flack for them in my home program, and I feel pretty confident that most of the places where I applied are fairly socially liberal, but I feel like an interview is NOT the time to be waving your freak flag, you know? My extracurriculars (LGBTQ aplenty) are already going to scare off the more conservative programs.

Not sure how this works. Do schools send out one mass email to everyone they are inviting for first round interviews? Do they do a certain number every few days? Basically, should I be worried if a school I was very interested in has sent out invites and I didn't get one?

Looking at the dates on the spreadsheet, it looks like some programs do all at once, and some do a few each day.