Official 2016-2017 Anesthesia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the etiquette regarding cancelling an interview? If they are on Thalamus, do you just take yourself off the calendar, or is it required that you contact the program coordinator and program director? How much time in advance is considered acceptable?

I think it's proper etiquette to email the program coordinator after canceling on thalamus/eras/broker/etc. I think 2 weeks in advance is often the quoted time for giving notice, however sometimes circumstances happen. If it is less than 2 weeks, call the coordinator and explain your situation and more often than not they are sympathetic.

Members don't see this ad.

Heard close to zip from the CA programs. I am not from the area, but would like to move there for family reasons. Not sure what to think at this point...
Just my experience from last year, I interviewed at close to every socal program and most I heard from around late October early November. The program I eventually matched at (and my eventual #1 rank) was a California program and I didn't get invited to interview here until mid December. So my advice is just hang tight and don't read into things too much. Late invites don't mean lower chances.

What is the etiquette regarding cancelling an interview? If they are on Thalamus, do you just take yourself off the calendar, or is it required that you contact the program coordinator and program director? How much time in advance is considered acceptable?

The sooner the better. Remember, there is a long line of other candidates who would love to use that spot and the sooner the program knows they have an opening, the sooner they can invite someone else to interview. Don't sit on interview offers that you don't intend to use. And most of the program directors across the country know each other, it is a small enough community that you don't want your bad manners to get mentioned through the grapevine somehow.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my first rejection today from Oregon...still mostly silence from most programs. Standing with 3 interviews and 1 waitlist...Time to panic?

hey guys. new to the gas forum. I'm a 3rd year interested in anesthesia. do any of you mind sharing an ideal timeline? Like what months should I be doing my sub I's/auditions/electives ideally? When should I be lining up interviews? If it's too much, do you linking me to a thread or site where I can read more about it?

hey guys. new to the gas forum. I'm a 3rd year interested in anesthesia. do any of you mind sharing an ideal timeline? Like what months should I be doing my sub I's/auditions/electives ideally? When should I be lining up interviews? If it's too much, do you linking me to a thread or site where I can read more about it?

Hey bud! I'm just a 4th year here so of course not through the entire process yet (everyone else has probably different opinions!).
1. Took step 2 CK in July and got results back in August before the September 15th ERAS opening. I had a 228 on step 1 and 256 on step 2, and AOA but so far, I'm not sure if it has made a difference in how many interviews I've gotten (17 in total so far for me). I think step 1 still trumps all. Haven't gotten the "top-tier" interviews but got enough where I'll be happy where ever I go and will match (NRMP data don't fail me!). Maybe these scores/EC's, etc will matter more during the rank time. We will see.
2. Step 2 CS is most likely you can take whenever. Never got mentioned so far. Maybe a few places want it for ranking but haven't heard. So up to you. Probably best to take it around your step 2 CK just to get it over with to be honest.
3. Sub-I in anesthesia I did at my home institution in August and was fine. Did 2 aways rotations after that. Honestly, aways are not necessary for anesthesia unless you are really interested in a certain program or wanna really try to get an in for a "reach" program. In those cases I think it is worth it.
4. I would say 90% of my interview invites came in by mid October. I got off waitlist at a couple more competitive places after that. If you had to pick a month to take off for interviews, I'd say November. But I have about 3-4 interviews throughout November, December, and January. I actually have 7 interviews in January but I probably will drop a few depending how burnt out I feel haha. I saw all places had interview spots in November/December but a small amount of places didn't have interview spots in January. But whatever is most convenient to you in those months should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey bud! I'm just a 4th year here so of course not through the entire process yet (everyone else has probably different opinions!).
1. Took step 2 CK in July and got results back in August before the September 15th ERAS opening. I had a 228 on step 1 and 256 on step 2, and AOA but so far, I'm not sure if it has made a difference in how many interviews I've gotten (17 in total so far for me). I think step 1 still trumps all. Haven't gotten the "top-tier" interviews but got enough where I'll be happy where ever I go and will match (NRMP data don't fail me!). Maybe these scores/EC's, etc will matter more during the rank time. We will see.
2. Step 2 CS is most likely you can take whenever. Never got mentioned so far. Maybe a few places want it for ranking but haven't heard. So up to you. Probably best to take it around your step 2 CK just to get it over with to be honest.
3. Sub-I in anesthesia I did at my home institution in August and was fine. Did 2 aways rotations after that. Honestly, aways are not necessary for anesthesia unless you are really interested in a certain program or wanna really try to get an in for a "reach" program. In those cases I think it is worth it.
4. I would say 90% of my interview invites came in by mid October. I got off waitlist at a couple more competitive places after that. If you had to pick a month to take off for interviews, I'd say November. But I have about 3-4 interviews throughout November, December, and January. I actually have 7 interviews in January but I probably will drop a few depending how burnt out I feel haha. I saw all places had interview spots in November/December but a small amount of places didn't have interview spots in January. But whatever is most convenient to you in those months should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I PMed you if you don't mind.

MS4 as well. Agree with above note. Just wanted to add that you should try to get your anesthesia rotations (including ICU/pain if you do it) early in the year so that you can get letters. October and November are probably the most active interview months; I took both off so I could stack interviews there. Plan on going on 10-12 interviews. Since you're DO, you'll probably have to apply to a few more programs than MD to get there, but you'll be fine. Required reading: Charting Outcomes 2016, 2016 Program Director Survey, 2016 Applicant Survey Report, and the Interview Impressions tab on the 2016 and 2017 Anesthesia Applicant and Interview Sheets. Those resources will answer questions that you didn't know you had and give you an idea of what programs to apply to.

Reactions: 4 users
Is the post interview communication done without prompting or is that all replies for thank you emails?

has anyone had this happen??:

scheduled for an interview only to later get canceled and declined?

I'm surprised that happened. Are you sure it wasn't a mistake on the programs end of things? I don't think they do that generally unless your application is red flagged for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
doesn't seem like a mistake - they just said they got hit with too many applications and to not contact them about it...?

doesn't seem like a mistake - they just said they got hit with too many applications and to not contact them about it...?

So just to get this straight.... They invited you to interview, you scheduled one. Then they turn around and say "just kidding you can't come.".... If this is true and I'm understanding it correctly I feel like that's probably a sign you don't want to go that program to begin with. That seems like an incredibly rude thing to do on their end and is not the type of treatment I would want as a resident.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

you got it exactly right, stunned me as i was reading that email. you're right -- i was bummed initially but i should have no reason to be. will keep checking in on this thread if similar incidents happen to other applicants

At least it's not like medicine where they invite more applicants than they have spots

Did they confirm that they were cancelling an already scheduled interview? I had a bizarre experience with one of GS programs.

If I remember it correctly, I believe that particular GS program sent me an invite and cancelled that invite within the same day or so and suggested that I might want to put myself on their waiting list. Well, I believe I did that and forgot about them for several weeks. I assumed that they had noticed my strong cardiothoracic surgery interest and had changed their mind about me. I have to admit that I did find this practice of sending and cancelling invites rather odd but I didn't take it too closely to my heart.

Anyway, a few weeks later, I received an email from that very GS program that had cancelled a invite on me earlier asking me, and rather harshly, why I had not scheduled my interview with them yet. :) I thanked them and forwarded to them their own email where they had cancelled my invite to interview with them. They apologized very nicely and said that they had been swamped with emails and such and that it was an honest mistake. I accepted, thanked them and interviewed with them. Nice people, strong university program, beautiful city, but I matched to my top choice, an amazing CT I6 program.

Just wait and see... Good luck!

Last edited:
you got it exactly right, stunned me as i was reading that email. you're right -- i was bummed initially but i should have no reason to be. will keep checking in on this thread if similar incidents happen to other applicants

consider naming and shaming under an anon account post-match, please

At least it's not like medicine where they invite more applicants than they have spots

If I remember it correctly, one of the CT I6 programs sends out 4o invites, interviews 20 for one spot.

Last edited:

That is most likely a glitch. The decline emails get sent in a large batch and you likely accidentally got included in it. You should definitely call them and verify. If you have a scheduled interview, you likely were not an intended recipient of that email blast. If it is truly a mistake, they likely have no idea you received the email because it was probably sent to a couple hundred people.

Reactions: 2 users
Any military foos in here? Good luck to you all in the civilian match! I don't envy my classmates having to travel the country for interviews, but two places to train in the Army does not offer much choice.

US IMG here 239/239, have 8 anesthesia interviews. I know the majority of interview invites have gone out, but is it too late to email programs asking for interview or to be scheduled incase of cancellations? Not sure if I should be worried with only 8 interviews.

US IMG here 239/239, have 8 anesthesia interviews. I know the majority of interview invites have gone out, but is it too late to email programs asking for interview or to be scheduled incase of cancellations? Not sure if I should be worried with only 8 interviews.

Can't hurt to circle back to programs at this point expressing interest (don't straight up ask for an interview, be marginally more creative). Only send one e-mail though and move on. Maybe you'll get lucky!

NO! I sent an email to a top 10 program which was sitting on my application. I got an interview in minutes. I'd say half of my top 10 invites have come through BECAUSE I sent a well-crafted email to residencies explaining why I like their program. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
NO! I sent an email to a top 10 program which was sitting on my application. I got an interview in minutes. I'd say 2/3 of my top 10 invites have come through BECAUSE I sent a well-crafted email to residencies explaining why I like their program. Good luck!
I probably should have sent some emails, but never felt motivated enough to do it. Was already turning interviews down.

I agree with above, no harm in sending out a single short email to a program that you are really, really interested in. I picked up a couple of solid late interviews that way. Especially into January, people will start cancelling interviews and a few more spots will open up, so you might potentially put yourself in position to pick up one of those spots when they become available.

Just keep in mind that 8 interviews is probably more than enough if you are a breathing, walking, talking human being who can show up on time to an interview and interact with other humans. Don't do this out of insecurity, 8 interviews is enough. Just do this to go after places you are really interested in. Worst possible outcome: they ignore/delete your email and you are no worse off than where you started.

Interview invites still going out. Can confirm that I have rec'd 2 in the last week or so at fairly reputable places.
Absolutely - now is the time quite a few people start to cancel later interviews (please do so as early as you can to allow someone else to come check our program out!) and we try to fill that open spot ASAP.

bump.

The rank list tab in the spreadsheet is helpful/interesting (if real)

*Sigh* In the IV impressions tab, a lot of schools have been deleted (MGH, BWH, NYP Columbia and Cornell, UCSF). Typical

*Sigh* In the IV impressions tab, a lot of schools have been deleted (MGH, BWH, NYP Columbia and Cornell, UCSF). Typical
Yeah, I noticed that too. I tried to look back at the 2015-2016 spreadsheet, and a few of the same programs were missing.

Is there a way to see the previous versions of the spreadsheet?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I tried to look back at the 2015-2016 spreadsheet, and a few of the same programs were missing.

Is there a way to see the previous versions of the spreadsheet?
I have an older version (from maybe a week ago) that seems to have interview impressions on MGH, BWH, Cornell, UCSF, but I don't see interview impressions for NYP Columbia. PM me and I can give you what I have. (I'd post it publicly but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that or not since it got changed).

I have an older version (from maybe a week ago) that seems to have interview impressions on MGH, BWH, Cornell, UCSF, but I don't see interview impressions for NYP Columbia. PM me and I can give you what I have. (I'd post it publicly but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do that or not since it got changed).

Just post it. Not sure why someone would do that unless theyre jealous or trying to hide something

Cornell:
+
Cornell Really good at regional & pain; Rotate at Memorial Sloan Kettering so see really complex cancer pts; Hospital for Special Surgery for regional
Global health track/elective; Lots Research opps available if you want. Offer Poznak research scholarship (similar to Apgar of Columbia);
CBY1 year transitional-style, includes 3 mo of anesthesia, 1 mo med, 3 mo surg; protected didactic time every afternoon

-
Long hours, 6/7 mo's of ICU, expensive Resident housing available although still pricey.

Other
Most residents (not just anesthesia) all live in hospital housing - so most of their call is homeCall; also some faculty/nurses live there;

Columbia
+

Columbia Biggest strength of the program is their cardiac and ICU exposure as well as Peds, OB, and Neuro. They do basically everything cardiac and they have multiple closed ICU's run by anesthesiologists. Also really good for transplants of all types. Great place to go if you're interested in fellowship. None of the graduating class went into private practice. 2 in academics the rest did fellowship. They have a strong research institution and offer 2-3 Apgar scholarships for that (do 2 more years of residency, get extra $15k/year for all of residency + guaranteed fellowship + dedicated research tract). Keep a lot of their graduates for fellowships but the name recognition caries everywhere. Closed ICU. No night float after CBY, just short call system 1-7 (and overnight calls). Subspecialty cases starting in CA-1. A lot of autonomy. Most residents get all their numbers by the CA-2 year. Great Peds exposure and training starting in PGY1. New chair is there to help make the program more resident friendly. Also, this is a quantenary center so you see and do the craziest of the crazy stuff on the sickest of the sick. Also, you have the Columbia name, which carries you basically anywhere you want to go. ~100% board pass rate (large number of faculty are involved in the ABA). Cab rides reimbursed (up to $20?) if going home after 9pm. Built in PGY1 more like a TY.

-
You'll be setting up your own lines, often turning over your own room. starting your own ivs, drawing your own blood for labs in preop. Housing is offered first year and is relatively inexpensive but most don't use it. PD said on interview day that avg work hrs are 56/week. Fairly large program. They have 1-2 short calls per week and 1-2 long calls a month . Residents don't have as close a relationship with PD as other programs. Terrible cafeteria and food options in the WaHi area. Didactic curriculum could be stronger. Facilities are old and hospital runs inefficiently.

MGH
+
Great overall exposure, diverse case load, amazing resources. Really enjoyed most residents at dinner. Interviewers were super nice and got impression faculty/program interested in helping you get to where you want to be. High expectations of residents, lots of autonomy. Early exposure to subspecialties. 2 months of cardiac and 2 months of thoracic. Shriner's hospital provides pediatric burn experience. Can do peds rotation at Boston Children's and OB at Brigham if desired.Tons of cool electives.
-
Got the impression you will not be coddled at all. Seems like less formal didactics, more in OR, but also have to be self directed, seek out teaching. Changing PDs. Not everyone goes to Boston Children's 3 x 20 min IV w faculty 4 x 20 min IV w faculty

BWH
+
Residents nice, seemed happy and good friends. Faculty seemed very interesting, cool to talk to. Felt very supportive. Have a computer system where they note who got out late the day before and make them the first priority for getting relieved the next day. Protected didatic time every Wednesday morning 9am-12pm with grand rounds 7am-9am!

-
No liver transplants, weak ICU, 24hr call CA1/2 yrs, in-house regional experience, no housing stipend, low trauma volume

UCSF
+
3 25 min interviews. medicine heavy PGY-1 year. Residents reported working more hours in their program vs others. Said average out 5-5:30, occasionally later. A couple residents came later to dinner (7PM) on account of late cases. Despite that they reported being happy with the program overall, although all of them reported SF being a determining factor in choosing the program. They also reported that next year expected $16k stipend on salary for living. <<<agree w/above. Residents work a lot, but seemed very happy/normal.

-
Rotate at multiple hospitals that requires commuting by car within city. Cost of living (even with stipend it is still hard if you don't have housemates)

After looking through the revision history on the spreadsheet, it looks like someone went through and deleted Cornell, Columbia, MGH, BWH, UCSF and Duke (there may be more) from the spreadsheet on January 7, starting around 12:05 AM.

F****n gunner...

So if you want to see the previous info for any of those programs, pull up one of the versions before January 7th.

After looking through the revision history on the spreadsheet, it looks like someone went through and deleted Cornell, Columbia, MGH, BWH, UCSF and Duke (there may be more) from the spreadsheet on January 7, starting around 12:05 AM.

F****n gunner...

So if you want to see the previous info for any of those programs, pull up one of the versions before January 7th.

What I don't understand about all of this is that if I were trying to match into BMS, I would certainly prefer if all of their negatives were well known. It's gotta be either residents or underclassmen trying to project those programs' images, right? Every place has positives and negatives; why not share them there so that future applicants can make more informed decisions about where to apply?

What I don't understand about all of this is that if I were trying to match into BMS, I would certainly prefer if all of their negatives were well known. It's gotta be either residents or underclassmen trying to project those programs' images, right? Every place has positives and negatives; why not share them there so that future applicants can make more informed decisions about where to apply?

Because if you're putting out all of your negatives and no one else does, how does that make you look? Same reason for why students all want their schools to be pass/fail and keep all negative comments out of their mspe. I don't blame anyone. That's why you need resident dinners to try to get the details. You also need to read between the lines. When you see extremely tired residents coming late to the dinner or not at all, that says something. The whole feel of a program should be what you base your decision on. "Ranking" and "reputation" is all crap imo and we'd probably all be better off without it like they do in EM.

It's gotta be either residents or underclassmen trying to project those programs' images, right?

I doubt it, given the timing of the deletions. Someone went in and deleted all of the information (positives and negatives) about many programs within a few minutes of each other.

The only explanation that makes sense is that it's an applicant who's trying to obscure information about competitive programs on his/her rank list from other applicants.

Because if you're putting out all of your negatives and no one else does, how does that make you look? Same reason for why students all want their schools to be pass/fail and keep all negative comments out of their mspe. I don't blame anyone. That's why you need resident dinners to try to get the details. You also need to read between the lines. When you see extremely tired residents coming late to the dinner or not at all, that says something. The whole feel of a program should be what you base your decision on. "Ranking" and "reputation" is all crap imo and we'd probably all be better off without it like they do in EM.

I agree with most of this, but it's such a high-stakes process to be betting on based on a few hours of interaction, and from an applicant's point of view it's easy to justify things or to just give a program the benefit of doubt. For example, what if those tired residents were on cardiac or ICU or were finishing up a liver? And, some programs don't have dinners, or have faculty or chief residents present, etc. So it's helpful, in my opinion at least, to hear if others get the same vibes; and those vibes aren't always positive. Also, it seems like nearly every program (other than those listed above) have some very negative- but true- things written about them; why can't those "Top Tier" places :whistle:?

TLDR- I'm ranking by "feel", but I'm happier to know that others left their interviews understanding the same positives and negatives that I did.

I doubt it, given the timing of the deletions. Someone went in and deleted all of the information (positives and negatives) about many programs within a few minutes of each other.

The only explanation that makes sense is that it's an applicant who's trying to obscure information about competitive programs on his/her rank list from other applicants.
Ah, I see now. In the past it was just the negatives being scrubbed (hence my thoughts about outside influencers). Now, it's the entire reviews. Definitely lame.

Honestly, everyone should be going on their own feelings and impressions of programs. It's nice to have a spreadsheet like this, but how do you know who wrote what comments and what kind of day or state of mind they were in when they wrote it. What's going to be important for one person could be different for someone else.

Very strange for someone to go in and delete stuff in the spreadsheet though. Person must be bored.

Reactions: 1 users
Yesterday I was able to edit cells in the spreadsheet...now I can't edit it or post in the chat. Anybody know why? I noticed there hasn't been much activity on the spreadsheet and am wondering if this is why>>>sorry nvm just answered my own question

Last edited:
Congratulations everyone on matches! Hopefully everyone was happy with where they will be in a few months!

I wanted to just prompt the 4th yrs to add where they matched or continue to edit the spreadsheet. As a 3rd yr interested in Anesthesia resources like this are going to be extremely important over the next year.