Official 2016-2017 Internal Medicine Residency Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if anyone who has interviewed at Rush for IM or any current residents have a sense of the fellowship match list? I haven't been able to find it anywhere on their website.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on cancelling an interview 2 weeks away from today (so 13 days by the time they see it in the morning)?

Their online thing says 7 days prior is a lock-out period, but I've heard two weeks bare minimum from administrators at my school, and even then it's kinda a dick move. From what I see, all their dates are full, don't know if they have people on waitlists (thought that would help ease my anxiety). Good program, I'd like to visit, and would probably rank them modestly well, I am just burnt out. Trying to relax a little more going into Christmas.

I've heard 10 different answers from 10 different people. Some PD may say 4 weeks, some may say 2 weeks, and I've even heard some say 2 days. Personally I would think 2-3 weeks (for the courtesy other applicant/interviewee that may have to buy a plane ticket) but that's my $0.02.

Thoughts on cancelling an interview 2 weeks away from today (so 13 days by the time they see it in the morning)?

Their online thing says 7 days prior is a lock-out period, but I've heard two weeks bare minimum from administrators at my school, and even then it's kinda a dick move. From what I see, all their dates are full, don't know if they have people on waitlists (thought that would help ease my anxiety). Good program, I'd like to visit, and would probably rank them modestly well, I am just burnt out. Trying to relax a little more going into Christmas.

Just call and cancel. 2 weeks is still a good amount of time. They can get someone to fill the spot because I'm sure someone is on the waitlist and wants the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

UMMMMM has anyone seen this instagram act?! "overheard during the interview season" hahaha
FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get your comment on loma Linda. What do you mean?
Loma Linda is associated with the Seventh-day Adventist church which discourages the use of caffeine. He or she heard that they don't allow caffeine in the hospital. However, I'm pretty sure this is false. I have several friends there so I can confirm or disprove this if anyone is concerned about it.

Loma Linda is associated with the Seventh-day Adventist church which discourages the use of caffeine. He or she heard that they don't allow caffeine in the hospital. However, I'm pretty sure this is false. I have several friends there so I can confirm or disprove this if anyone is concerned about it.
Not sure about LLU but the Adventist hospital I sometimes have to round at has some of the best hospital coffee I've ever had.

No bacon in the cafeteria though.

Currently being placed on WL for a program. I sent a letter of interest before I got the WL email. Should I send another one or just wait? thanks!

Currently being placed on WL for a program. I sent a letter of interest before I got the WL email. Should I send another one or just wait? thanks!

They already know you're interested

Dealing with this first hand now as Chief Resident I would agree with alot of responses above, however I have noticed considerable amount of disrespect and poor planning when it comes to cancelling interviews. There is no hard and fast rule about a deadline of when to cancel, but ultimately you should cancel as soon as you know that you will be unable to not make the interview. I was in all of your positions recently, and I always tried to shoot for at least 2-3 weeks.

Do and don'ts:

1) Do not cancel < 5 days away unless there has been an emergency in your life, or drastic changes. Many programs have arranged schedules, coordinating hotels, etc. This is poor planning if you simply "forgot to cancel."
2) If there has been an emergency and you need to cancel in that amount of time, would not only send an email to the Program Coordinator but also follow up with another form of communication. Such as a phone call.

Anyone interviewing at Alameda able to switch interview dates? I'm locked in for January 5th... please... in dire need! Any other week please! PM me if possible.

Anyone with interview invite from UF told to wait for an email from Thalamus and never received that follow up email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with interview invite from UF told to wait for an email from Thalamus and never received that follow up email?

Not sure which UF you're talking about, but UF-Gainz doesn't use thalamus.

Not sure which UF you're talking about, but UF-Gainz doesn't use thalamus.

Actually it was UF-Jacksonville email said be on the look out for thalamus but i never got that follow up email for thalamus however the scheduler on eras showed up and i booked using that one.

Hi everyone! Hope interviews are going well. Quick question:

Just wondering if anyone has received post-interview emails/postcards from specific programs? I’m not sure if they are being selective or if they are just sending them to everyone the interviewed. How does one interpret this “interest”???

Just wondering if anyone has received post-interview emails/postcards from specific programs? I’m not sure if they are being selective or if they are just sending them to everyone the interviewed. How does one interpret this “interest”???
You hit delete, or throw it in your fireplace, and forget that it ever happened.

Reactions: 1 users

Got a letter yesterday from someone that interviewed me. It feels nice, but it still doesn't change how I rank them. Based on the letter it sounds like I'll match there if my rank list doesn't land me somewhere higher.

I got a phone call from PD saying they'd love to have me. Still wish theyd give me a guarantee but I'll take it. Stuck thinking between they can't, won't, or didn't want to give me a more definite.

I got a phone call from PD saying they'd love to have me. Still wish theyd give me a guarantee but I'll take it. Stuck thinking between they can't, won't, or didn't want to give me a more definite.

This is as definite as it's going to get and regardless it shouldn't sway you and you should rank them based on how much you like them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I got a gift box in the mail with a bunch of paraphernalia from the school. I still wish they'd give me a guarantee that they'll rank me first but I'll take it.

I've interviewed at 11 institutions so far, and haven't received a single post-interview communication, for context. I also haven't sent any thank you emails. Anyone else go the not-sending-thank-you-notes route?

I've interviewed at 11 institutions so far, and haven't received a single post-interview communication, for context. I also haven't sent any thank you emails. Anyone else go the not-sending-thank-you-notes route?

Definitely not sending thank you notes. Most programs have said not to, so I am going the no communication route.

Reactions: 5 users
Also stopping after 10.

I'm stopping at 8. There's not really a point in me doing more. I'm a US grad, no red flags, decent steps, good letters of req, average grades. I can already tell which programs I would rate higher than others prior to the interview. The interview day/tour doesn't really change anything. Y'all going on 10+ interviews are crazy.

I'm stopping at 8. There's not really a point in me doing more. I'm a US grad, no red flags, decent steps, good letters of req, average grades. I can already tell which programs I would rate higher than others prior to the interview. The interview day/tour doesn't really change anything. Y'all going on 10+ interviews are crazy.

Meh. I have friends who matched far down their rank lists (one person at number 9), even in IM, and were extremely unhappy. It's not a terrible idea, if you're feeling paranoid, to go on a few extra interviews (a few. Seriously.) to find more places you would be happy at. My home institution's IM program was, in my opinion, not great, so I didn't exactly have anything to fall back on.

Meh. I have friends who matched far down their rank lists (one person at number 9), even in IM, and were extremely unhappy. It's not a terrible idea, if you're feeling paranoid, to go on a few extra interviews (a few. Seriously.) to find more places you would be happy at. My home institution's IM program was, in my opinion, not great, so I didn't exactly have anything to fall back on.
Let's put this anecdotal report into perspective, though.

"Of the U.S. seniors who matched, 53 percent obtained their first choice for training and 79.2 percent obtained one of their top three choices."
http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-r...largest-on-record-as-match-continues-to-grow/

Reactions: 1 users
Let's put this anecdotal report into perspective, though.

"Of the U.S. seniors who matched, 53 percent obtained their first choice for training and 79.2 percent obtained one of their top three choices."
http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-r...largest-on-record-as-match-continues-to-grow/
Your point is well taken, but remember that, while your chances of matching are very high, matching itself is a binary proposition for any one person. You can't 98.8% match, it's either 0 or 100.

I agree though that you're as safe as can be with 10, as is just about any other reasonable AMG candidate (decent scores and LORs) that doesn't give off a serial killer vibe on interview day.

But I would argue for more interviews for another reason...you never know what's out there. My #1 (where I matched) was a place I threw an app in on once I'd been invited to another nearby program (that I was convinced was going to be my #1...it was #8) and I was able to make 1 trip for both places (and be home for a few days around Christmas). It was my 13th interview. If I'd stopped at 10, or 12, I never would have seen the place.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it just me, or does Yale/New Haven have the least helpful website ever? I'm not sure if I'm just failing at navigating it, but I can't even find anything about rotations/scheduling.

Yeah it's not been updated. They had much much better info during interview day, like the new tracks, global health, research mentoring etc.

Yeah it's not been updated. They had much much better info during interview day, like the new tracks, global health, research mentoring etc.

That's annoying. Glad it isn't just me though - thanks for the reassurance.

How much better is it to "always" choose a university program over community...granted if the community is a stronger tier like Einstein PA, Cedars Sinai, or Methodist Houston? Something like UT-Chattanooga or UF-Jacksonville for example seem kinda inferior to the other ones?

I'm with you. I couldn't stomach going on more than 7 and cancelled all of the places I wasn't really interested in going to. I think some people, especially those interviewing at the elite tier or those with red flags, it makes sense to go on a ton. But, personally, I felt I was very competitive for the programs I'm applying to and that they are a little less competitive to begin with (mostly mid-tier, academic, midwest). Some may disagree, but it really seems like the trend is becoming to wayyyyyyyy over apply/interview to the point of neuroticism. One person I met on the trail was going to 20+ interviews despite having offers at the big 4 -- not the kind of person who will fall to number 20, but the fear of not matching brings out the worst in us.

Your point is well taken, but remember that, while your chances of matching are very high, matching itself is a binary proposition for any one person. You can't 98.8% match, it's either 0 or 100.

I agree though that you're as safe as can be with 10, as is just about any other reasonable AMG candidate (decent scores and LORs) that doesn't give off a serial killer vibe on interview day.

But I would argue for more interviews for another reason...you never know what's out there. My #1 (where I matched) was a place I threw an app in on once I'd been invited to another nearby program (that I was convinced was going to be my #1...it was #8) and I was able to make 1 trip for both places (and be home for a few days around Christmas). It was my 13th interview. If I'd stopped at 10, or 12, I never would have seen the place.

I agree with this completely. At the same time, I felt like finances were a large competing interest. If I have a geographic area and programs I really like and know I would be happy at does it really make sense to throw that much money on a chance to find a hidden gem? In my case, I can't see myself living on either coast, though I'm sure there are plenty of places I would love out there. Spending $400 or better on flight/travel costs and wasting MS4 vacation time to sit through another interview day was a tough sell for me.

Since submitting my Eras application, I've had some additional research activity. Have a new publication and have been invited to a national conference to give an oral presentation of one of my abstracts.
I was wondering best way to let the programs know about this as I think it might help.
1. Should I email the PDs of my top programs directly and send an updated CV to the places I've already interviewed at ?
2. Should I bring it up on my upcoming interviews Or will it sound pretentious? And if I should any advice on how to bring it up ?
Thanks

How much better is it to "always" choose a university program over community...granted if the community is a stronger tier like Einstein PA, Cedars Sinai, or Methodist Houston? Something like UT-Chattanooga or UF-Jacksonville for example seem kinda inferior to the other ones?

Generally, university program > community program due to name recognition. But there are several exceptional community programs that rival university programs, including ones that you named.
But it really depends on your goals. Fellowship? Look at their fellowship match lists. Do they match in-house mostly or to other university programs? Competitive subspecialties or not? All of these will factor into your rank list, but you should really rank programs based on your "fit" and expected happiness with the program. Everything else will fall into line afterwards :)

Anyone have the 2017 fellowship match list for the Harvard boston programs?

Does anybody know why Emory didn't fill for IM last year? If I remember right they had something like 6 open spots after SOAP. Not really a question you can ask a program but I'm curious if anyone has any insight..

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Program-Results-2012-2016.pdf
For the same reason any person/program doesn't match/fill. They got cocky and overestimated their chances.

This post exists for some "well regarded" program every year since SDN started. 1 year is not a trend. If the same thing happens this year, next year's applicants should freak out. But one year is usually a fluke.

Does anyone who interviewed at MGH remember if they said they would or would not communicate post-interview?

Does anyone who interviewed at MGH remember if they said they would or would not communicate post-interview?

no post-interview communication unless it's in response to you asking a question about the program

no post-interview communication unless it's in response to you asking a question about the program
On my interview day they did not mention anything about post interview communication unless I zoned out. But if a policy was mentioned on another day then better to abide by it.

Interesting, cause during my interview day, if I recall correctly, they made no mention of it either way. MGH is notorious for post interview communication so I thought it was coming for sure but maybe this year will be different.

But as many have said in the past on these forums, it should NOT influence your rank list at all.

that's what they said on my interview day

QUESTION: For my top 3 programs, is it wise to e-mail the program directors to state i'll be ranking them high/first? how should i properly go about this...
thanks!

QUESTION: For my top 3 programs, is it wise to e-mail the program directors to state i'll be ranking them high/first? how should i properly go about this...
thanks!

From what i been told you should only send your number 1 program an email. Any other emails to programs telling them you are ranking them highly (but not 1) doesn't do a thing. Cauz ppl can send those kinds of rank highly emails to all their non-number one programs.