*~*~*~* Official 2016-2017 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I'm new to SDN but I'm on the waitlist for Michigan and UDM. I'm also waiting to hear back from Minnesota is regards to my interview last month.

Anyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I just have a couple questions and I know SDN community is suuuuuper helpful with things like this so I thought i'd give it a shot!

I'm currently in the middle of completing a masters program right now and just started my second semester. I finished my first semester (Fall 2016) with a 4.0 in 13 hours so I thought I would take my chances and apply this cycle. (I'm super proud of this btw!) However, I am a suuuper late applicant because AADSAS had to wait on my grades from the Fall semester of my program to get verified and by the time everything was sent out and my grades were finalized with schools it was mid January... so I haven't received any interviews yet. (I have had 3 rejections before my Masters grades were received - but I expected that).

My questions are should I even be hopeful for any interviews this cycle? Or should I just go ahead and start prepping for next cycle already? Some background info.. the reason I am in a Masters program is because my undergraduate grades aren't competitive enough to get me into dental school alone. (My first two years I did horrible because of family issues and sicknesses, so I then transferred to a school closer to home and finished my last year and half with straight A's in those last 3 semesters before I started this master's program). Since my first two years were absolutely horrible in undergrad my BCP GPA on AADSAS is a 3.13... which is the reason I am currently in this masters program. Also, my DAT scores are AA 20/TS 19. Should I consider retaking the DAT as well?

I figured I would wait it out till the end of this cycle to see if I get any interviews but I'm already just thinking a step ahead in case I don't get any this interviews or acceptances cycle. Main concern.. should I retake the DAT? And since I'm done with my Masters in June, what do you guys suggest to do with my gap year if I have one? Any other advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Everyone in this thread is so awesome and I'm incredibly happy for those of you who have gotten in this cycle! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just have a couple questions and I know SDN community is suuuuuper helpful with things like this so I thought i'd give it a shot!

I'm currently in the middle of completing a masters program right now and just started my second semester. I finished my first semester (Fall 2016) with a 4.0 in 13 hours so I thought I would take my chances and apply this cycle. (I'm super proud of this btw!) However, I am a suuuper late applicant because AADSAS had to wait on my grades from the Fall semester of my program to get verified and by the time everything was sent out and my grades were finalized with schools it was mid January... so I haven't received any interviews yet. (I have had 3 rejections before my Masters grades were received - but I expected that).

My questions are should I even be hopeful for any interviews this cycle? Or should I just go ahead and start prepping for next cycle already? Some background info.. the reason I am in a Masters program is because my undergraduate grades aren't competitive enough to get me into dental school alone. (My first two years I did horrible because of family issues and sicknesses, so I then transferred to a school closer to home and finished my last year and half with straight A's in those last 3 semesters before I started this master's program). Since my first two years were absolutely horrible in undergrad my BCP GPA on AADSAS is a 3.13... which is the reason I am currently in this masters program. Also, my DAT scores are AA 20/TS 19. Should I consider retaking the DAT as well?

I figured I would wait it out till the end of this cycle to see if I get any interviews but I'm already just thinking a step ahead in case I don't get any this interviews or acceptances cycle. Main concern.. should I retake the DAT? And since I'm done with my Masters in June, what do you guys suggest to do with my gap year if I have one? Any other advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Everyone in this thread is so awesome and I'm incredibly happy for those of you who have gotten in this cycle! :)
Depends on where you applied, but I'd prepare to apply for the next cycle.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that and I hope you'll hear good news from other schools soon. However, I guess most of the schools are almost done with extending interviews, and are reviewing applications of those who they've interviewed so far to offer acceptances or make their waiting lists. At least this is true about the 22 schools I applied to. I guess there's a little chance at this time of the cycle to get an interview. I would start preparing for the new cycle because as you mentioned your undergrad GPA isn't competitive. I'd say to take the DAT again and do great so that it compensates for your GPA. Don't rush and spend enough time on taking the test. I took it in mid July and yet I got many interviews and acceptances.
If you do not have enough dental experience, then try to see if you can volunteer at a local dental office and you might be able to work there after a few months of gaining enough training. If you are more interested in research then you may consider an RA position in a research lab. Meanwhile, do some community service. I'd suggest volunteering at American Red Cross local office, because it has very flexible hours. However, it really is up to you and what you truly enjoy.
PM me if you have any questions or need help with your DAT.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone heard from stony brook recently? Interviewed in December and still haven't heard

Dang look at youuuu. Have you decided where you will be going? :eek:

Haha I pretty much have it narrowed down to two but I'm leaning heavily towards one due to a very appealing offer I received. Waiting on a potential counter-offer since both schools want me to attend their programs. Definitely going to update in the "Going to ___ school and turning down whichever school(s)" thread (after next week) :D

Reactions: 1 users
Rejection from Touro w/o interview...looks like the schools I haven't heard from all cycle are starting to come forward :whistle:

Haha I pretty much have it narrowed down to two but I'm leaning heavily towards one due to a very appealing offer I received. Waiting on a potential counter-offer since both schools want me to attend their programs. Definitely going to update in the "Going to ___ school and turning down whichever school(s)" thread (after next week) :D

Counter-offer? What is this, shark tank? I'm looking forward to what each school will say/offer. LOL

Rejection from Touro w/o interview...looks like the schools I haven't heard from all cycle are starting to come forward :whistle:

WOWZAH. Touro interviewed a lot of applicants, I'm surprised you were rejected without one. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys has anyone heard from USC recently?! I am praying for a interview but have heard nothing

Accepted to Buffalo!!!!

My top choice!

Reactions: 11 users
Interview #4 USC. Will be declining this one. Waitlisted at UCSF

May I ask what dates were offered for the interview? And ur gpa & DAT?

March 7,8 and 21
GPA (science, overall): 3.62, 3.73
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 18/17/18/ General Chemistry: 15

Rejected from BU and Stony. Time to ***. 4 waitlists. I might be a reapplicant sighs.

I don't know why I still haven't received a rejection from BU yet when they have finished conducting interviews. They probably don't know that I exist.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when NYU and USC typically send acceptances? On the NYU waitlist and haven't heard anything from USC. Thanks!

Hi :) Congrats on the acceptances- especially Penn- that is such amazing news! Do you by chance have the link to this thread you are talking about? I'd be interested in checking it out and I can't find it. Thank you!

Does anyone know when NYU and USC typically send acceptances? On the NYU waitlist and haven't heard anything from USC. Thanks!
If you constantly update your applicaton and call every week since the beginning of January for NYU, then you should expect to be taken off the waitlist this month. If you waited patiently without bothering NYU, then expect movement in the waitlist starting April and you could be accepted from the waitlist anytime before the day classes start.

March 7,8 and 21
GPA (science, overall): 3.62, 3.73
DAT (AA/TS/PAT): 18/17/18/ General Chemistry: 15
Are you out of state? Also if you dont mind me asking, whatre your demographics?

If you constantly update your applicaton and call every week since the beginning of January for NYU, then you should expect to be taken off the waitlist this month. If you waited patiently without bothering NYU, then expect movement in the waitlist starting April and you could be accepted from the waitlist anytime before the day classes start.
I hope that you are right!

this might be a stupid question lol, but how do you send schools academic updates? By mailing an official transcript? Can I just email the admissions committee an unofficial transcript?

this might be a stupid question lol, but how do you send schools academic updates? By mailing an official transcript? Can I just email the admissions committee an unofficial transcript?

You email them the grades you got. If they ask for transcripts you should email them a copy of the unofficial.
Schools won't ask for official transcripts till you are accepted.

anyone else feeling emotionally drained from waiting for a response :(

Reactions: 10 users
I'm beyond emotionally drained. I'm in emotional turmoil

Reactions: 5 users
Progress so far:

UNE: Waitlisted
  • Interviewed 10/6
  • Decision notified 1/5
Rutgers: Waitlisted
  • Interviewed 1/13
  • Decision notified 1/27
BU: Alternate
  • Interviewed 2/7
  • Decision notified 3/3

... really hoping for these to turn into positive outcomes!

Reactions: 7 users
Progress so far:

UNE: Waitlisted
  • Interviewed 10/6
  • Decision notified 1/5
Rutgers: Waitlisted
  • Interviewed 1/13
  • Decision notified 1/27
BU: Alternate
  • Interviewed 2/7
  • Decision notified 3/3

... really hoping for these to turn into positive outcomes!
They will!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from Maryland or gotten waitlisted since 1/20?