Official 2017-2018 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

Started by ShiShiMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just certified my rank list! So close! Less than 30 days guys!

Question: do we get an email like when we matched for residency or do we have to log in to NRMP to see? Tried looking through last year's thread and didn't find an answer.
 
Just certified my rank list! So close! Less than 30 days guys!

Question: do we get an email like when we matched for residency or do we have to log in to NRMP to see? Tried looking through last year's thread and didn't find an answer.

you get an email with a similar heading "Where Did I Match? 2016 Medical Specialties Matching Program"
 
Not sure how it would really help, especially since most if not all interviewers rank immediately after they interview you and often have meetings at the end of the day/week of interviews. I know that programs are not allowed to ask you how you rank them but you are allowed to share that information if you wish so maybe share with the top program? I think real updates (publications, boards, etc.) are still worth sharing now but anything else is questionable IMO.

I remember that we both had slow, anxiety-provoking starts to the season so I'm rooting for you. I really hope we will all be celebrating in a month. Good luck to everyone! :luck:
Thanks man. appreciate it. best wishes to u too
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any thoughts on University of Chicago vs. Dartmouth vs. Baylor Houston?

All three are great programs. Personally I think Baylor and University of Chicago are in much better geographical location. Lebanon NH is in a very small town with a fairly homogenous population. Not much to do outside of work, unless you're into outdoors/hiking etc.
 
This forum has been very helpful in getting updates and sharing experience. I believe, we had more genuine and enthusiastic participation this year than in any other years. I am certifying my list today. Sending positive vibes and good energy to everyone who is reading this. May all of ur wishes come true. Until we catch up again on Dec 6.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lurker here wanted to share my general thoughts and though it may not be helpful for this cycle, hopefully can be helpful for the future.

I know this might be a stupid question, but what are some of the most important factors to consider when you make the rank order list?
Because almost every program I go to, I really like them all, and they all seem good...

As cliche as it sounds, go for what fits you best professionally and personality. IM was easy, go to the biggest name possible to help for fellowship. For fellowship, choose a program that'll give you the training you want for your career (academic, clinical, broad training or very specific) and ideally a program that fits your personality. I know some who went to a big name program but don't mesh with the personalities or culture there and aren't particularly happy. Those who say to suck it up a few years, I'd disagree, some of the above mentioned individuals have developed a distaste for medicine and/or changed their career plans due to their feelings. Unfortunately, with the competitiveness of GI, you may not get much say in the matter, but at least it's a start.

I'm in the same boat.

Questions I grapple with:
1. Do I go for the big fancy name that will require me to publish, publish, publish.....
2. Do I go for the cush program and accept that I may not be an academic.
3. Do I go for the big city? or small town?

etc etc.

I'm lucky that I have a significant other who will narrow my search down. There's no way my wife will agree to rank a rural program high on the list. I guess in the end it's different for everyone.

Academics is not end-all-be-all that some may think. A majority of physicians are private practice, yet in medicine, particularly during training in academic centers, there certainly is a push of academics>private practice. There's sometimes a sense that academic medicine is superior or that research is all that matters, call it ivory-tower medicine, but many times it is unrealistic or just insignificant in the real world.

besides the thank-you email, are you guys sending a follow up email this week before ROL to express interest? Not sure if this is going to help?

Telling your #1 program can help, maybe it won't move you from the bottom to the top, but it could be a tie-breaker. Programs want people who want to be there as they'll likely be happier. However, take whatever a program says with a grain of salt. A non-response could be their policy, which is respectable as to not interfere with the match process. There may be a generic responses, then there could be responses that put the match in their favor. There are programs out there who game the system, subtly get applicants to rank them #1 or try to find out how the applicant ranks them, then use that info to make their own rank list handpicking the incoming class or making sure they don't go far down their list for bragging rights. All of which abuses the spirit of the match, imo.
 
......There are programs out there who game the system, subtly get applicants to rank them #1 or try to find out how the applicant ranks them, then use that info to make their own rank list handpicking the incoming class or making sure they don't go far down their list for bragging rights. All of which abuses the spirit of the match, imo.

100% agree.
 
Guys, i received an email from ERAS on December cycle ERAS opening. Can you help me understand this better?
 
Guys, i received an email from ERAS on December cycle ERAS opening. Can you help me understand this better?

It means the NRMP gave ERAS a heads up that you might need to apply again. Haha jk. The December cycle is just ERAS for different fellowships. Mostly peds. They just send it to everyone who has an ERAS fellowship account.
 
It means the NRMP gave ERAS a heads up that you might need to apply again. Haha jk. The December cycle is just ERAS for different fellowships. Mostly peds. They just send it to everyone who has an ERAS fellowship account.
thanks man
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best of luck everyone! Whatever happens on Wednesday, remember one thing! It's never over. I met so many fellows on interview trail who worked as hospitalists for years while working on GI research projects and finally got the fellowship.
 
Best of luck everyone! Whatever happens on Wednesday, remember one thing! It's never over. I met so many fellows on interview trail who worked as hospitalists for years while working on GI research projects and finally got the fellowship.
Never say never. If there is some pgy 3 looking at this post and thinking you can get gi after going into hospitalist year(if you don't match), the struggle involved in matching in gi after going out of training is tremendous(especially if you need visa). Good back up options are chief year, hepatology n various other non accredited fellowships and reapply next year. Taking hospitalist job is better on bank balance but it significantly makes it tougher to enter gi.
 
Its the night before usually.
Good luck!
I wonder if they know now or if they'll know in the next few hours. Not that they'll share that info with us anyways but just curious.

Nevermind, looks like we all find out at the same time for fellowship according to the NRMP site.
 
Last edited:
Never say never. If there is some pgy 3 looking at this post and thinking you can get gi after going into hospitalist year(if you don't match), the struggle involved in matching in gi after going out of training is tremendous(especially if you need visa). Good back up options are chief year, hepatology n various other non accredited fellowships and reapply next year. Taking hospitalist job is better on bank balance but it significantly makes it tougher to enter gi.
I agree partly with this. Nothing will help unless you use the transition years ( hospitalist or non-accredited fellowship) productively in building relationships and getting solid research outputs. I have worked with hospitalists who say "they are interested in GI" but don't bother to put any effort during the transition years and end up not matching. Similarly, I know people who did non accredited hepatology fellowships who failed to match. Personally for me, the years I spent in J waiver affected the types of program and numbers of program that interviewed me. But when I went for the interview, I did not notice that I was treated differently for not being a fresh grad or for being a hospitalist. There are 160+ GI progs with different selection criteria. Majority prefer fresh grads but there are progs that like candidates with more experience. I also think preferably for non accredited fellowships over hospitalist. But the notion that 1-2 yr of hospitalist will totally ruin your chances is not true (provided you work hard during those years).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats everyone!!!

Silent follower here of the thread. Any small tid bits of advice to throw down to the peons who will undergo the match in 12 months?

I am particularly wondering now in retrospect if you felt there was a significant amount of regional bias based on where you got interviews. Also, anything you realized was important with regards to selecting a program that you didn't realize beforehand? Personally, I am now feeling very much like I would rather not go to a small program as I think I might get burned the hell out by a say a q2 call for 12 months.
 
Congrats to all who matched.
I unfortunately did not match. I hope this post will allow other people to see that there are also people here on SDN who did not match.
Reply to the post above: Miami filled all their positions.