Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jekyll75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since no one else started the thread i thought it was a bit overdue... If anyone knows how to make one of those fancy googles spreadsheets please do and post it !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I've posted this in last year's thread:

It's an exciting time for all of you. I remember mine like it was yesterday. Best of luck to all of you.

You should open a section in the Google doc for the current, or recent past residents to comment on certain programs, anonymously. Use objective measures like experience in subspecialities: Peds, OB, Neuro, CT, Pain. Average hours worked. Average ITE percentiles. Political environment.

I know many posters will be happy to chime in anonymously and the info obatined this way is much better than "put on our best face on interview day" info.

Edit (10/20/18)
I forgot to add this one other tip: specifically ask the program on their Pain and CT match rate (people applied vs people that got spots) into fellowship.

It really tells A LOT about the program and cuts through their interview day fluff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Been waiting on this. Don't know the best way to go about setting up the new doc, but glad someone at least started the conversation

Members don't see this ad :)
I've posted this in last year's thread:

It's an exciting time for all of you. I remember mine like it was yesterday. Best of luck to all of you.

You should open a section in the Google doc for the current, or recent past residents to comment on certain programs, anonymously. Use objective measures like experience in subspecialities: Peds, OB, Neuro, CT, Pain. Average hours worked. Average ITE percentiles. Political environment.

I know many posters will be happy to chime in anonymously and the info obatined this way is much better than "put on our best face on interview day" info.

if i figure out how to make one like the 2017-2018 one ill add that in there. @The Duck Knows can you please guide me through how to create one similar to yours? or if anyone one else is willing to take on this project please do so . i have no idea where to start

hey guys

maybe try copy/paste the old template into a new sheet, it should keep the functions and whatnot.

2018-2019 Anesthesiology Application Thread

A'ight, well, here's my rough attempt. Tbh just copy/pasted from last year's, deleted old comments, tried to update some google forms. But if someone else has advice/wants to help, plz do...:rofl:
..... winner, where you able to add the recommendations that @dchz had ?
pnznkqgsrgw4tx0qdpxr.jpg

Attachments

• pnznkqgsrgw4tx0qdpxr.jpg
    pnznkqgsrgw4tx0qdpxr.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 159
..... winner, where you able to add the recommendations that @dchz had ?
pnznkqgsrgw4tx0qdpxr.jpg

There's a tab on last year's titled "Resident impressions" that hopefully can do that. I tried to update the google form so I'd receive the info and can update from there.

Hey guys so im adding letter to the places i want to apply but im still waiting on one letter from an attending that told me itll take him a month or so to do. i got this message from eras when i was assigning letters. does it mean that i cant add letters to a program after i apply to it ?

"LoR selections will be locked upon applying to a program or when assigning a LoR to a program you previously applied to. Once a LoR selection is locked you will not be able to change it. You may only change your selection prior to applying to a program. Keep in mind that you may only assign up to 4 LoRs to any given program."

2018-2019 Anesthesiology Application Thread

A'ight, well, here's my rough attempt. Tbh just copy/pasted from last year's, deleted old comments, tried to update some google forms. But if someone else has advice/wants to help, plz do...:rofl:

isnt it supposed to be an open document that we can edit as needed?

Hey guys so im adding letter to the places i want to apply but im still waiting on one letter from an attending that told me itll take him a month or so to do. i got this message from eras when i was assigning letters. does it mean that i cant add letters to a program after i apply to it ?

"LoR selections will be locked upon applying to a program or when assigning a LoR to a program you previously applied to. Once a LoR selection is locked you will not be able to change it. You may only change your selection prior to applying to a program. Keep in mind that you may only assign up to 4 LoRs to any given program."

yeah i believe once you assign and submit, nothing further can be sent

Haha, my bad. Told you I didn't know what I was doing. Looks like when I copied it forward the protection ranges came with it. I might have fixed it (?) so try again now

Is there a list of top tier, middle tier, and low tier programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
isnt it supposed to be an open document that we can edit as needed?

yeah i believe once you assign and submit, nothing further can be sent

Are you saying that once your sign and submit you can’t take those letters off but you can still add a letter if you need it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you saying that once your sign and submit you can’t take those letters off but you can still add a letter if you need it?

I'm believe you can't do anything else. They sent an email today saying once you submit, the only thing you can change is your personal info (i.e address, name, etc).

from last year's thread...

None that I've found. Here are the minimum LOR requirements listed by state for just about every program that isn't Ivy League or located in California, New York City, Miami, Dallas, Chicago or Boston. Albany was the only one I saw with a maximum of 3.

Alabama At least 2
Arkansas No requirements?
Loma Linda ?
Colorado ?
U of Florida 3 letters
Medical College of Georgia 3 letters
Iowa 3 letters
Indiana 3 or 4
U of Kansas (KC) 3 letters
U of Kansas (Wichita) 3 letters, CV
U of Kentucky (Lexington) 3 letters, ERAS CV
U of Louisville 3 letters
LSU Shreveport 3 letters
Ochsner at least 3
Tulane at least 3
LSU New Orleans 3 letters
Lahey at least 3
UMMS Baystate 3 letters
U of Mass 3 letters
Maryland 2 letters
Maine 3 letters
Wayne State 3 letters
William Beaumont 3 letters
U of Michigan 3 letters
Henry Ford ?
Detroit Medical Center ?
U of Minnesota 3 letters
U of Missouri Columbia 3 letters
Washington University/ B-JH Missouri 3 letters
U of Missouri Kansas City ?
St. Louis University 3 letters
Mississippi 3 letters
U of North Carolina ?
Wake Forest 3 letters
Nebraska 3 letters
Mary Hitchcock New Hampshire 3 letters
New Mexico 3 letters
U of Rochester ?
Buffalo ?
SUNY Upstate 3 letters
Albany Medical Center Max 3, 2 must be anes
Doctors Hospital Ohio ?
Ohio State Columbus 3 letters
Cincinnati 3 letters
Case Western/Cleveland Clinic 3 letters
U of Toledo 2 letters
Case Western Metrohealth no requirement
Oklahoma no requirement
Oregon 3 letters
Geisinger Danville PA 3 letters
Penn State Hershey 3 letters
Drexel 3 letters
U of Pennsylvania ?
Thomas Jefferson 2 letters
UPMC Pittsburgh 3 letters
Temple 2 letters
Allegheny Health Pittsburgh 3 letters
South Carolina 3 letters
Tennessee Knoxville at least 3
U of Texas Galveston ?
Texas Tech Lubbock 3 letters
U of Texas San Antonio ?
Texas A&M 3 letters
Baylor minimum 3
U of Texas Houston ?
U of Utah minimum 3
U of Virginia Charlottesville 3 letters
VCU Richmond ?
Vermont at least 3
Virginia Mason Seattle minimum 3
U of Washington Seattle minimum 3
U of Wisconsin Madison ?
Medical College of Wisconsin Milwaukee 3 letters, 2 anes
West Virginia 3 letters

from last year's thread...

It looks like these are letters of recommendation total but not number of letters from anesthesiologist? Because I’m getting one general surgery letter one anesthesiology letter and one internal medicine letter. I was hoping to get an anesthesiologist to write me a letter for that one program in specific

I'm believe you can't do anything else. They sent an email today saying once you submit, the only thing you can change is your personal info (i.e address, name, etc).

I actually just called the helpdesk and they told me that you cannot unassign letters once submitted , but you can add letters. So for example if you assign three letters of recommendation Do I program and then verify them, you cannot take those letters off anymore but you can add additional letters to be sent to the program

Reactions: 1 users
It looks like these are letters of recommendation total but not number of letters from anesthesiologist? Because I’m getting one general surgery letter one anesthesiology letter and one internal medicine letter. I was hoping to get an anesthesiologist to write me a letter for that one program in specific

From my own research, I've seen most places want one anesthesia letter, and I recall only a couple wanting two.

Are there any programs that require chair letters?
ive been checking on ERAs comments and the frieda comments but i haven't come across any that do. i have come across a couple that have cut offs like 225 and 220 though

I just saw some programs require 3 LORs from Anesthesia :(. Ill only have one as my away is late in sept-oct.

I just saw some programs require 3 LORs from Anesthesia :(. Ill only have one as my away is late in sept-oct.

Who ??? I don’t think I’ve seen that yet at the ones I’ve applied

I don't know how reasonable your residents/attendings are but if I were in your situation I would sit down and talk to them about your current situation to see if they would let you go down to the OR to hang out for a week so you could get a letter in before September 15th.

I don't know how reasonable your residents/attendings are but if I were in your situation I would sit down and talk to them about your current situation to see if they would let you go down to the OR to hang out for a week so you could get a letter in before September 15th.

I didnt plan on getting 3 LORs from anesthesia. I already have one anesthesia letter, one from a doc i spent 6 months with, and one from MICU rotation. The 4th letter i was going to get from my away in Oct end. So id have 2 anesthesia, one ICU, one from FM

I didnt plan on getting 3 LORs from anesthesia. I already have one anesthesia letter, one from a doc i spent 6 months with, and one from MICU rotation. The 4th letter i was going to get from my away in Oct end. So id have 2 anesthesia, one ICU, one from FM
Ah I misread your post, I thought you meant you won't have any anesthesia letter until late September. Yeah 3 Anesthesia letters is overkill, which program is this?

Ah I misread your post, I thought you meant you won't have any anesthesia letter until late September. Yeah 3 Anesthesia letters is overkill, which program is this?

I messaged the program and they stated it was an old requirement. Only need 1. So as far as I know, there are no other programs that require 3 anesthesia LOR.

I messaged the program and they stated it was an old requirement. Only need 1. So as far as I know, there are no other programs that require 3 anesthesia LOR.

I remember at least a few programs saying they actually preferred you dont have all 3 letters from anesthesia because it shows you aren't a well versed applicant, didn't put effort into non-anesthesia rotations, etc. Med school is meant to gain a broad base of fundamental medical knowledge no matter what specialty you ultimately wish to pursue; you will have the rest of your life to focus on nothing but anesthesia.

On the other hand there are also a couple programs (like the one in question, evidently) that view it as a sign of being particularly dedicated to anesthesia and therefore a positive.

If we could get some comments from the residents about their program in the excel sheet that be great !!

is Loyola anesthesia program officially backing out ? i got a weird eras message about it

How are yall picking programs to apply to? I am only familiar with a few programs, trying to apply to around 40 DO friendly programs with 15 top, 15 mid, 10 "safeties." Any suggestions for safeties? Really no regional restriction. Should I apply to more?

How are yall picking programs to apply to? I am only familiar with a few programs, trying to apply to around 40 DO friendly programs with 15 top, 15 mid, 10 "safeties." Any suggestions for safeties? Really no regional restriction. Should I apply to more?

I will tell you the response you'll get from more seasoned posters on the anesth thread:

"look at the current residents in the program and if you see 1-2 DO's per class, go ahead and apply."

Not many people here are going to have a comprehensive list for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Just took level 2 pe...pretty sure I'm going to fail since I forgot to do omm on a patient and only did 2 treatments. My score will come out beginning of October. Will programs know about a failure if I submit eras on Sept 15?

I will tell you the response you'll get from more seasoned posters on the anesth thread:

"look at the current residents in the program and if you see 1-2 DO's per class, go ahead and apply."

Not many people here are going to have a comprehensive list for you.
I know the typical response and that's the general method I use to pick my programs. What I am curious is how do you know if a program is "mid tier" or "bottom tier?" My bottom tier list currently has:
Geisinger, AGH, Hershey, Beaumont Michigan, UCLA-Harbor, Drexel, Rush. I am pretty sure some of them are not considered 'bottom tier' but I really have no clue how to categorize them.

I know the typical response and that's the general method I use to pick my programs. What I am curious is how do you know if a program is "mid tier" or "bottom tier?" My bottom tier list currently has:
Geisinger, AGH, Hershey, Beaumont Michigan, UCLA-Harbor, Drexel, Rush. I am pretty sure some of them are not considered 'bottom tier' but I really have no clue how to categorize them.

Google search will also tell you this is a pretty subjective and not altogether easy question to answer.

Google search will also tell you this is a pretty subjective and not altogether easy question to answer.
I guess that was a piss-poor attempt on my part trying to facilitate some discussion in this thread haha. I guess I'll track down some real life attendings to look at my list for input.

Last edited:
I guess that was a piss-poor attempt on my part trying to facilitate some discussion in this thread. I guess I'll track down some real life attendings to look at my list for input.

Hey man don't get all butthurt because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Also, if you leave here thinking you're the first person to facilitate this "discussion" you are sadly mistaken. I have tried it, there are numerous other threads from this year alone of people who have tried it, and if you look at subsequent years you will see that this is an ongoing discussion that as I said is not so easy to answer, with disagreement over what exactly constitutes low, mid and upper tier between the "real life attendings" on this forum.

Hey man don't get all butthurt because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Also, if you leave here thinking you're the first person to facilitate this "discussion" you are sadly mistaken. I have tried it, there are numerous other threads from this year alone of people who have tried it, and if you look at subsequent years you will see that this is an ongoing discussion that as I said is not so easy to answer, with disagreement over what exactly constitutes low, mid and upper tier between the "real life attendings" on this forum.
ok

What did the email say? I didn't get any email from ERAS.

So the response I got while I was assigning ladders or is that the program is no longer participating. That was yesterday. Also the best way to determine and program is DO Friendly S to look at how many DO’s they have her class and overall. It’s time-consuming no doubt. It took me a good two hours to just look at the places I would want to go because I am regionally constrained . In my opinion, the best way to rank Tier is the following: immediate university programs> large community/University affiliated programs > local community . If you are further trying to decide between programs look at fellowships . That’s just my two cents, I’m sure everybody has their own way of thinking. There used to be a list of programs that were “friendly“ but I think it’s outdated

So the response I got while I was assigning ladders or is that the program is no longer participating. That was yesterday. Also the best way to determine and program is DO Friendly S to look at how many DO’s they have her class and overall. It’s time-consuming no doubt. It took me a good two hours to just look at the places I would want to go because I am regionally constrained . In my opinion, the best way to rank Tier is the following: immediate university programs> large community/University affiliated programs > local community . If you are further trying to decide between programs look at fellowships . That’s just my two cents, I’m sure everybody has their own way of thinking. There used to be a list of programs that were “friendly“ but I think it’s outdated

Thanks for the helpful, non-snarky response. I guess I just worry about not applying to enough safe programs for a successful match due to failure on my part being not able to tell what tier a program is in

So this is what I have so far as my 'mid-tier' program list

1. CCF
2. UColorado
3. Loma Linda
4. U Indiana
5. U Wisconsin
6. U Oregon
7. UTSW
8. UF Gainesville
9. Temple
10. U Minnesota
11. UVA
12. U Cincy
13. Wake Forest
14. St Louis U
15. Cooper
16. Case Western/UH
17 UT Houston

"Bottom-tier"
1. Geisinger
2. AGH
3. Penn State Hershey
4. Beaumont Michigan
5. UCLA- Harbor
6. Drexel
7. Rush

Any idea/input would be greatly appreciated. Again, I understand there is no such thing as a safety program, just trying to cast a wide net and save some money at the same time

Thanks for the helpful, non-snarky response. I guess I just worry about not applying to enough safe programs for a successful match due to failure on my part being not able to tell what tier a program is in

So this is what I have so far as my 'mid-tier' program list

1. CCF
2. UColorado
3. Loma Linda
4. U Indiana
5. U Wisconsin
6. U Oregon
7. UTSW
8. UF Gainesville
9. Temple
10. U Minnesota
11. UVA
12. U Cincy
13. Wake Forest
14. St Louis U
15. Cooper
16. Case Western/UH
17 UT Houston

"Bottom-tier"
1. Geisinger
2. AGH
3. Penn State Hershey
4. Beaumont Michigan
5. UCLA- Harbor
6. Drexel
7. Rush

Any idea/input would be greatly appreciated. Again, I understand there is no such thing as a safety program, just trying to cast a wide net and save some money at the same time

No problem. Look at your scores to guide your choice in what you consider safety programs. If you were a average applicant I would at least do 30 places if you are above average then you can definitely scale it back. If you’re below average bump it up to at least 40. If you are a do add 10 to the above idea. This is what I was told by a 4th year last year !

Programs filter based on geography, so the majority of your interviews will come from places in states surrounding your school or where you list your permanent address. Apply to all those, they will be the highest yield in terms of getting your application looked at. After that, it's hit or miss whether a program will even review your application. No program sits and looks at 1000 applications. They filter them down to a reasonable number based on geography and scores, then look at the applications from there.

Lets say you are from PA. You apply to all the PA programs, MD, WV, and a smattering of NY and Northeast programs. Lets say you apply to 30 programs. You'll probably get more than enough interviews with that strategy. But if you pick 30 programs that are all over the map of the US, with 5 in CA, 2 in Arizona, 10 in Florida, etc etc... you probably won't get nearly as many interviews and would have to apply to far more. Because programs in the SE are looking more apt to look at your app if you are from the SE. Programs out West are more likely to look at your app if you have a link to the west. Programs know students choose their residency largely based on their own geographic preferences. So programs use the students biases to try to maximize the number of "matchable" people on their list.

Apply smartly based on geography and you won't have to apply to 100 programs.
Just found this in the EM forum. Hope someone else also finds this helpful