Gern Blansten

Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician
You will get a letter for the basic if you’re in the top 10% but I have no idea if anyone submits this.
Anyone that gets this and does not submit it is "leaving money on the table." It is an award/recognition that one should be proud of. As mentioned, you don't know a percentile for the Basic exam unless you are top 10% or lower 6-8% (meaning you failed).
I personally believe that ITE scores do have an influence on how many interviews for fellowship that you will get. When it is time to apply, you will likely only have your CA-I score back, so it tends to have a far bigger weight than maybe it should. Late in the process, you will likely get your CA-II score back in time for it to be considered in your application.
A really high percentile on the ITE will get you way more interviews and a single digit percentile may hamper your efforts. A fail on the Basic is a tough obstacle to overcome, but not impossible. If you are pursuing Critical Care, all will be well no matter what you get on anything. Cardiac, pedi, and pain are significantly more competitive. A program with a good track record of fellowship placement is a big help. Programs that have drawn good candidates from programs tend to continue that pipeline in subsequent years, in my experience. Fellows who go out and are rock stars at their fellowships will really open up the eyes of the fellowship directors to strongly consider future candidates from that program, in hopes that the same skill set will be there. Conversely, I think someone who performs poorly can sabotage residents behind them for the same reason. Fellowships and private practice groups remember people that do an awesome job for them and they remember the ones who suck.

Reactions: abolt18

Gern Blansten

Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you!
I meant I got a letter of recommendation from the PD during my away. The other student didn't do an away. That's why I'm salty. I guess they were such a rockstar they didn't need the away. But it just hurts when I had residents, alumni, and even other PDs who knew that program telling me I would likely match there. You're right though. I guess I was in a favorable position to match but they were so popular they filled up higher than the spot I was ranked. I just feel stupid as hell for getting my hopes up so high by listening to all those people.

Don't get me wrong though. Im not ungrateful for where I matched. I'm very happy about it.
That's the way the match goes sometimes. They likely really did believe you would match there and likely had no intention of deceiving you. Some years, a program may go to 75 to get their program filled and then only go to 35 the next year. Each year is a different beast and every time you think you have it figured out, it will turn you on your head. Whether or not someone did an away is only a small part of the total equation. A good away rotation will not make someone's 220/3rd quartile class rank become more attractive than another's 255/1st quartile class rank. The truth is, the 255/1st quartile person did all of their work on the front end while the 220/3rd quartile student is playing a game of catch up that they will (almost) never win. You should not begrudge that person or that program for choosing the other candidate over you. That is just how life sometimes goes. The only exception to the above rule that I have seen is the super cute female with low scores/class rank that can occasionally leapfrog over the AOA/250 step I student.

Reactions: studentofsdn
Jul 11, 2018
you guys make me nervous... I"m a DO that will be applying this Fall. 238 on STEP 1 and 652 on COMLEX. Do I need to do aways for all 6 months? How many applications should I send?

xClashx

5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2013
Status
Medical Student
you guys make me nervous... I"m a DO that will be applying this Fall. 238 on STEP 1 and 652 on COMLEX. Do I need to do aways for all 6 months? How many applications should I send?
Do 1-2 aways. Apply as broadly as possible (60-70 programs or so, that have taken DOs in the past, also depends on ur step 2 score). Ppl will tell u not to, but an opportunity to interview at a place u may not think you had a shot at but get still get it, is priceless.

Reactions: Nonam22
Jul 11, 2018
How receptive are PDs to light-hearted jokes? Nothing inappropriate. I got one of those 'We love you, please keep us in mind when you prepare your rank list" email, I wrote a response back saying 'thank you with a small joke relating to some of the jokes that the PD made during the interview day.' After I sent it I felt like I might have earned myself a DNR. The PD seems like a really cool guy though, made a lot of jokes during the interview day and they are hilarious.

Oh well, time to read up on the SOAP process
did u have to soap? stats?

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
There is no US-based applicant that should do so many aways - there are huge diminishing returns and your time is better spent doing something else. 1-2 is fine for you, those with lower stats (Step < 230, Comlex < 600) could consider a 3rd but even then not necessary.

Make sure you do your away at a program you are competitive at with a history of taking DOs, otherwise it’s a total waste of a month.

Jul 11, 2018
There is no US-based applicant that should do so many aways - there are huge diminishing returns and your time is better spent doing something else. 1-2 is fine for you, those with lower stats (Step < 230, Comlex < 600) could consider a 3rd but even then not necessary.

Make sure you do your away at a program you are competitive at with a history of taking DOs, otherwise it’s a total waste of a month.
Im from Az so my dream is to get into Uofa Tucson so I am planning on rotating there. although they aren't HUGE in taking DOs.. they have so i have heard to do rotations at reach programs, is that smart?

Apr 25, 2018
I’m a us md (well established school), 238 step 1, did 2 aways, no red flags .. didn’t match. Take that info and do with it as you please.

nimbus

10+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2006
Status
I’m a us md (well established school), 238 step 1, did 2 aways, no red flags .. didn’t match. Take that info and do with it as you please.
hear me out:

DO 4th year
60k student loans as of end of MS3 (45k from Med school living expenses) (other 15k from undergrad - all subsidized so no interest has accrued on it)
I’ve been able to live off of an average 15k/year (I live in the midwest) through out Med school.
This year, I plan on taking the full ~35k in loans offered since I don’t know what to expect during interview season and moving expenses for residency.

Now, I need a new car for residency. Current one is dead. I paid cash for it so I have no experience with financing or leases. Even though residency apps and travel is expensive, I don’t anticipate spending 35k this year. I expect to have 10k left or so, in addition, I can still take out an additional 10k for this school year. Essentially I can have up to 45k during MS4 year.

The question is should I use the excess ~20k on the purchase of my car? Rather than taking out another loan with a bank or car company? Yes my loans will have an average of 6% but I am refinancing my loans next year with hopefully an interest of ~3%. Credit score is 775. No credit card. No other loans, debts etc. Single, no kids.

I would be graduating with ~100k in debt which I plan on starting to pay off in residency. Is it better to have my loans coming from one place rather than dealing with the stress of car financing and etc. Plus will the car be cheaper paying cash?
I know this question is common but given my plan to refinance, would it really make a significant difference whether I take out a car loan or use the cash from my final year? Also arent student loans more flexible in payments (10 -20 yr repayment plans) vs a standard car loan (over 5-6 years)? I see it as if I’ll be paying back about your the same amount but over a longer period of time which will be more manageable as a resident.
USMD, no red flags with 238 not matching didn’t make any sense.

AdmiralChz

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Attending Physician
Im from Az so my dream is to get into Uofa Tucson so I am planning on rotating there. although they aren't HUGE in taking DOs.. they have so i have heard to do rotations at reach programs, is that smart?
Looking at their website (which isn’t the best), I only see 1 obvious DO in their entire program. If that’s the case, this program is probably a reach for you (I know next to nothing about southwest programs, however).

If that’s a target program for you, definitely do an away. But your second away needs to be at a program with a more established history of taking DOs.

abolt18

I regret nothing. The end.
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Looking at their website (which isn’t the best), I only see 1 obvious DO in their entire program. If that’s the case, this program is probably a reach for you (I know next to nothing about southwest programs, however).

If that’s a target program for you, definitely do an away. But your second away needs to be at a program with a more established history of taking DOs.
When I interviewed there, I was among multiple DOs at the interview day and I thought at that time there were at least 3 DOs in the program. My stats were only a little higher than the individual asking and I got an interview there without an away, so... It's a wash I guess.

UnoMas

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
did u have to soap? stats?
No, 250+
When I interviewed there, I was among multiple DOs at the interview day and I thought at that time there were at least 3 DOs in the program. My stats were only a little higher than the individual asking and I got an interview there without an away, so... It's a wash I guess.
Same. I was with a few other DO students on my interview day, they have at least 3-4 DOs on their roster I think, I remember there was at least 2 at the dinner. The website is probably not up to date. Good program, DO receptive.

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student

Here’s a link to the one I just made, cheers!

abolt18

I regret nothing. The end.
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I will say, starting that thread in the medical student forum instead of the anesthesia forum will work against you. You will lose out on insights that many on this board would otherwise provide, who don't wander over to that forum. It may be of value to you too see if a mod can move that thread into the anesthesia forum instead.

21Rush12

Searching a cave behind a waterfall
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I will say, starting that thread in the medical student forum instead of the anesthesia forum will work against you. You will lose out on insights that many on this board would otherwise provide, who don't wander over to that forum. It may be of value to you too see if a mod can move that thread into the anesthesia forum instead.
Thanks for the heads up, I’m using mobile app and I messed up, I definitely want the anesthesia board insight!

Ready_User_1

ASA Member
Mar 31, 2018

Good luck young padawan

Reactions: 21Rush12