USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to everyone getting scores today!!!!! Received good news and hope you all do too!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for one of these posts, but I'm just wondering if I took Step 1 yesterday (Tuesday, 4/17), then when could I expect to see my score? Thanks!

Sorry for one of these posts, but I'm just wondering if I took Step 1 yesterday (Tuesday, 4/17), then when could I expect to see my score? Thanks!
Based on what I've witnessed, I would think on the 9th, but I don't know many people who took the exam on a Tuesday. So I'm not sure if it gets rolled into the previous week's "batch" or not, so maybe someone with more experience can comment. :oops:

EDIT: upon further research, trend seems to be Thursday through Saturday exams get is the 3rd Wednesday after, whereas Sunday through Wednesday seems to be 4th Wednesday. Obviously there's always exceptions, but the 9th seems like a good bet!

Reactions: 1 user
Based on what I've witnessed, I would think on the 9th, but I don't know many people who took the exam on a Tuesday. So I'm not sure if it gets rolled into the previous week's "batch" or not, so maybe someone with more experience can comment. :oops:

EDIT: upon further research, trend seems to be Thursday through Saturday exams get is the 3rd Wednesday after, whereas Sunday through Wednesday seems to be 4th Wednesday. Obviously there's always exceptions, but the 9th seems like a good bet!

Very helpful; thank you so much!

My average NBME: 258, UWSA1: 262, UWSA2: 258.

Actual score: 248. My goal was 250, so I'm a little sad that after everything I gave up for this test the few senseless mistakes I made cost me the goal. But I'm glad it's over. Good luck to everyone still studying
Hey that is an amazing score! Don't let those two points from your goal get you down. All doors are open for you with that score! Congratulations and go celebrate!

My average NBME: 258, UWSA1: 262, UWSA2: 258.

Actual score: 248. My goal was 250, so I'm a little sad that after everything I gave up for this test the few senseless mistakes I made cost me the goal. But I'm glad it's over. Good luck to everyone still studying
Good score!! Congrats!!!

Did anyone who took their test on 3/31 (Saturday) happen to get their scores? I'm drowning in anxiety and I don't even know if the score will come for sure today.

Members don't see this ad :)
My average NBME: 258, UWSA1: 262, UWSA2: 258. Edit: UWorld- 86%

This is a great score. I would be thrilled! Two points will not mean anything. I know it’s disappointing when you have a goal but in my mind you made that goal because who knows what questions they did or did not throw out. On a different day they could have thrown out what you needed. Celebrate that score. The world is your oyster.

If there's any advice I can give people waiting for scores...it's trust your practice scores...all my friends told me the same thing and I kept telling them I failed...felt like I had missed around 100 questions...actually had a point in the test where I put my face in my hands and started bawling (the proctors were probably wondering what's wrong with me!!)...I scored around 228-235 on NBMEs, 243 on UWSA2 (over predicted for me). Real deal: 230....missed about 20 really easy questions due to nerves which may have pushed it up a bit but I am so happy to be done with the test and get a decent score!! Trust yourself and you will succeed!!! Good luck to all!!!!!

Wanted to share my practice test experience for step 1 as I know this was some info I was searching for while studying:

Form 13 (baseline early before studying): 192
Form 19 (beginning of dedicated period - 4 weeks out): 240
UWSA1 (3 weeks out): 258
Form 17 (2.5 weeks out): 261
Form 18 (2 weeks out): 240
Form 15 (1.5 weeks out): 242
Free 137 questions %: 87
UWSA2: 258
uWorld first pass: 88% (I think? May be lower but definitely >85%)

Real score: 254

Wanted to share my practice test experience for step 1 as I know this was some info I was searching for while studying:

Form 13 (baseline early before studying): 192
Form 19 (beginning of dedicated period - 4 weeks out): 240
UWSA1 (3 weeks out): 258
Form 17 (2.5 weeks out): 261
Form 18 (2 weeks out): 240
Form 15 (1.5 weeks out): 242
Free 137 questions %: 87
UWSA2: 258
uWorld first pass: 88% (I think? May be lower but definitely >85%)

Real score: 254

Nicely done! Seems like NBMEs are bad predictors..

My average NBME: 258, UWSA1: 262, UWSA2: 258. Edit: UWorld- 86%

Do you think you're practice scores underpredicted because the test wasn't representative of them, asking a greater frequency of questions beyond your knowledge base, or because you were nervous and under performed relative to your knowledge level? Still a great and competitive score, though!

Nicely done! Seems like NBMEs are bad predictors..
For sure. Especially form 19 (I only missed 9 questions on it which is somehow a 240?).
I think the consensus in the step 1 internet ether is that the UWSA's are best (especially #2).Good luck!

Diagnostic pre dedicated NBME 13 = 150 (I learned nothing first couple years)
In order:
UWSA1= 232
UWSA2= 226
NBME17= 209
NBME16= 225
NBME18= 242
UW% (1st pass random timed)= 66%
Kaplan Qbank (random timed, 2/3 through it)= 77%

Real Deal: 244

Wanted >250 but I guess a 94 point jump isn't bad.

Hard to say since I don't know what I got wrong. In my score report, I didn't star some subjects that I starred in 7 practice NBMEs, so I think there were some flukes. There were 3 questions I 100% knew the answer for, but was stupid.

My test didn't test anything that was completely foreign, so maybe it had a harsh curve. All the really weird/hard questions I got right, so if there are experimental questions, I probably got those right. The 13 I know I got wrong did not seem experimental.

NBME 19 was the most predictive test for me (I scored 250).
How many total questions could you remember?

For sure. Especially form 19 (I only missed 9 questions on it which is somehow a 240?).
I think the consensus in the step 1 internet ether is that the UWSA's are best (especially #2).Good luck!

I haven't done too well on the NBMEs, but my UWSA1 at 3 weeks out is similar to your's, and I'm hoping to break a 250. Cheers!

Just took the test today. Pretty easy to be honest especially if you have been studying for the first 2 yrs. My only gripe is that the easy questions are way too easy, so the high scores would probably depend highly on the relatively fewer hard questions.
Wish the test was moderately difficult throughout instead of very hard and very easy questions.
Hoping mid 250s to 260 based on practice tests.

Hey, congrats! Would you mind providing timelines for your practice exams?
Took 8 weeks of dedicated, first practice was 4 weeks in and then weekly from there on out. I actually got snowed out of my exam the night before, twice, so it ended up being longer than 8 weeks total (hence the kaplan bank). Was a brutal experience overall.

Just took the test today. Pretty easy to be honest especially if you have been studying for the first 2 yrs. My only gripe is that the easy questions are way too easy, so the high scores would probably depend highly on the relatively fewer hard questions.
Wish the test was moderately difficult throughout instead of very hard and very easy questions.
Hoping mid 250s to 260 based on practice tests.
How many questions do you think you got wrong? Mainly WTF impossible questions but questions that stumped you but which you could have prepared for?

Dang! Well, it worked out well, friend :). Out of curiosity, how far out were you when you got the 150?
Yeah thankfully. I'm interested in a surgical subspecialty so hopefully its close enough.
It was 8 weeks out, took it 2 days before dedicated lol

Congrats to everyone who got their scores today!!

I took the CBSE this afternoon, think it went decently well. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your score for CBSE? I was originally told we'd be getting it on the 25th but I've heard some conflicting information. Hoping we hear sooner!

Congrats to everyone who got their scores today!!

I took the CBSE this afternoon, think it went decently well. Does anyone know how long it takes to get your score for CBSE? I was originally told we'd be getting it on the 25th but I've heard some conflicting information. Hoping we hear sooner!
We took ours on a Monday and got it that Friday

Sent from my SM-G935U using SDN mobile

Took step this past Monday and can't stop obsessing over the questions I know I got wrong. Up to at least 12 with 5 truly dumb mistakes. I'm trying to distract myself with research but my mind keeps going right back to the test. Tips and tricks for quelling the anxiety until scores are out? Or does the obsessing just gradually die down?

got my score yesterday, these threads were useful to me so here's my progression

NBME 13 (school mandated, 5 mo. out) - 145
CBSE (3 mo out) 193
NBME 15 - 217
NBME 16 - 231
UWSA 1 - 245
NBME 17 - 245
NBME 18 - 234
UWSA 2 - 244
NBME 19 - 234
Free 120 - 82%

UW 1st pass - 66%
UW 2nd pass - 88%

Step1: 249

First emotion was relief as I was bracing myself for something in the 230's. Really elated with this score as my goal was always a 240+
I really struggled during first year, mostly scoring at average or slightly below in my exams. I was super discouraged after that first NBME. Worked my ass off for 6 months and I knew going in that I did everything I could and it feels great to see all that work pay off. Keep fighting the good fight everyone, hard work will be rewarded!

Reactions: 8 users
First post! Wondering what people think of this so far. Was my NBME 16 score a total fluke?

CBSE Midway thru MS2 195
CBSE Pre-Dedicated 230
NBME 15 238
NBME 16 252
68% of the way thru Uworld : 79% correct

I'm taking 17 on Friday, but just wondering what people's thoughts are. Exam in about 3 weeks!
What was the time course?

Took step this past Monday and can't stop obsessing over the questions I know I got wrong. Up to at least 12 with 5 truly dumb mistakes. I'm trying to distract myself with research but my mind keeps going right back to the test. Tips and tricks for quelling the anxiety until scores are out? Or does the obsessing just gradually die down?

Drinking, drugs and bedroom sports ftw

Reactions: 2 users
Took Step 1 yesterday...not sure what to think...

Practice scores were:

Uworld (1st pass random, timed) = 82%
Baseline NBME 18 (7 weeks out) = 211
NBME 13 (5.5 weeks out) = 232
UWSA1 (5 weeks out) = 260
NBME 15 (4 weeks out) =242
NBME 19 (3 weeks out) = 238...made quite a few dumb mistakes
NBME 16 (2 weeks out) = 252
NBME 17 (1.5 weeks out) = 248
UWSA2 (1 week out) = 249

Overall I thought it was a pretty fair test, I feel that my test scores were significantly worse than my Uworld qbank % based on what I have seen others post around here and I think that was largely a function of me overthinking NBME questions and changing answers. I tried not to do this on the real exam but at the same time I honestly felt most questions were pretty easy, which probably means the curve will be brutal. Praying a broke a 250 but am not too confident in it, this will be a long ~3 weeks. Goodluck to everyone else still studying

How often do you guys fluctuated on uworld? Tend to have a great streak of 70+ but then I hit a bump of getting below 60 and get really frustrated and start getting the easiest questions wrong.

How often do you guys fluctuated on uworld? Tend to have a great streak of 70+ but then I hit a bump of getting below 60 and get really frustrated and start getting the easiest questions wrong.
Happens to me too. Don't think of it as "Damn I just got a 60, FML I'm going to drop out and work at McDonalds." Think of it as "Thank god I found out that I didn't know something before the real deal." Just learn from the Q and you'll do better next time.

Reactions: 6 users
First CBSE was 3 months ago. And then about a week between each of the last 3 tests
Im not sure what a "fluke" is. Sure, luck can play a few points in either direction. The measurement error on the real exam is 6 points. Unless you cheated on that nbme, i would feel great about it. Obviously take another

Thanks for the optimism :)
I'm just doing 40-80 Uworld incorrects a day to stay fresh and reading up on topics related to any questions I get wrong.
Beyond that, I'm going through some flashcards for the memorization heavy topics I'm weak on (biochem, neuro and antibiotic pharm).
Antibiotic pharm was very basic on my exam. Neuro wasn't heavily covered in my exam, but you never know. Most of my friends ended up with a sort of abstract element of biochem being emphasized... for me, I had about 6-8 questions on inborn errors of metabolism (*palm to face*)! I didn't have it at the time, but some of my friends used the 'doctors notes medical biochemistry poster' and thought it was extremely helpful for them and their ability to remember all the important parts of biochem (including inborn errors of metabolism) and how all the reactions relate to each other, so you may want to check that out. Apparently, visual learning is a big deal. Hope that helps!

I have been lurking on this page for awhile And posts here helped me. Though my score isnt great at all, I m thankful I passed. I was originally scheduled to take the step 1 on the 5th of March but My nbmes were stuck on 200 for a long time and so I had to extend my exam by three weeks.
During the extension I focused on first Aid and my saved notes on uworld. I believe that boosted my score. Not the greatest score but I just want to encourage anyone whose scores have plateaued. You can definately improve. If need be please try and extend your exams till you fall in the score range you can live with. Trust your Nbmes. They are predictive of your strengths and weaknesses.

IMG
Initial goal score 240
Nbme 18 (9/1/2017) - 200 (pre-dedicated)
Took a six week break to prep for my final med school exams
Nbme 19 (11/16/2017)- 200
Nbme 17 (2/19/2018) - 200
Nbme 16 (3/17/2018) - 217
Nbme 15 (3/24/2018) - 228
Actual step 1 score (3/26/2018) - 228.

Reactions: 2 users
Took Step 1 yesterday...not sure what to think...

Practice scores were:

Uworld (1st pass random, timed) = 82%
Baseline NBME 18 (7 weeks out) = 211
NBME 13 (5.5 weeks out) = 232
UWSA1 (5 weeks out) = 260
NBME 15 (4 weeks out) =242
NBME 19 (3 weeks out) = 238...made quite a few dumb mistakes
NBME 16 (2 weeks out) = 252
NBME 17 (1.5 weeks out) = 248
UWSA2 (1 week out) = 249

Overall I thought it was a pretty fair test, I feel that my test scores were significantly worse than my Uworld qbank % based on what I have seen others post around here and I think that was largely a function of me overthinking NBME questions and changing answers. I tried not to do this on the real exam but at the same time I honestly felt most questions were pretty easy, which probably means the curve will be brutal. Praying a broke a 250 but am not too confident in it, this will be a long ~3 weeks. Goodluck to everyone else still studying
Similar practice test scores. Felt the same too. Exam was very easy. Hoping that's because of prep and the curve still holds

Similar practice test scores. Felt the same too. Exam was very easy. Hoping that's because of prep and the curve still holds

Hopefully we both did well. Yeah I don't want to say I thought it was easy and then get back a bad score but it was significantly more straightforward than I have been told. I am hoping that was just because I was prepared and the exam played to my strengths but who knows. I've been looking up questions that I wasn't sure on and seemed to guess correctly on most which is a good feeling

I don't wanna ruin the flow of people chatting who just got scores back or just took step.

But I had a quick content question.

I keep missing ASA tox questions because I never know if they want resp alk or meta acidosis. I know resp alk is first and metabolic acidosis comes after, but whats the real timeline? For the purposes of step, At what point/time after toxicity do I differentiate and choose an answer suggesting metabolic acidosis versus metabolic alkalosis? I've tried looking it up and can't find a solid answer

Respiratory alkalosis is pretty much immediate, metabolic acidosis triggers roughly around 12 hours post ingestion.

If the pH falls in the normal range, and you see low PCO2 and low HCO3, thats likely a combined disorder, since as a general rule compensation is never complete.

I don't wanna ruin the flow of people chatting who just got scores back or just took step.

But I had a quick content question.

I keep missing ASA tox questions because I never know if they want resp alk or meta acidosis. I know resp alk is first and metabolic acidosis comes after, but whats the real timeline? For the purposes of step, At what point/time after toxicity do I differentiate and choose an answer suggesting metabolic acidosis versus metabolic alkalosis? I've tried looking it up and can't find a solid answer
Yeah I also had this question when I was studying, I'm sure in reality it depends on a host of factors but Uworld says 12 hours so that is what I used as my threshold during studying

Respiratory alkalosis is pretty much immediate, metabolic acidosis triggers roughly around 12 hours post ingestion.

If the pH falls in the normal range, and you see low PCO2 and low HCO3, thats likely a combined disorder, since as a general rule compensation is never complete.
Yeah I also had this question when I was studying, I'm sure in reality it depends on a host of factors but Uworld says 12 hours so that is what I used as my threshold during studying

Okay I thought 12 hours too from the Q bank. But question 19 on free NBME has an ASA tox question, 3 hours after ingestion, and the answer is metabolic acidosis (dec HCO3, dec pH, dec CO2). Is there another way to tell what they're looking for on any particular question?

its frustrating to keep missing the same question when you literally have all the facts memorized correctly and just aren't sure what that particular question writer wants you to answer

Antibiotic pharm was very basic on my exam. Neuro wasn't heavily covered in my exam, but you never know. Most of my friends ended up with a sort of abstract element of biochem being emphasized... for me, I had about 6-8 questions on inborn errors of metabolism (*palm to face*)! I didn't have it at the time, but some of my friends used the 'doctors notes medical biochemistry poster' and thought it was extremely helpful for them and their ability to remember all the important parts of biochem (including inborn errors of metabolism) and how all the reactions relate to each other, so you may want to check that out. Apparently, visual learning is a big deal. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me directly! I'll be sure to give biochem one more quick pass before calling it a day :)

I have been lurking on this page for awhile And posts here helped me. Though my score isnt great at all, I m thankful I passed. I was originally scheduled to take the step 1 on the 5th of March but My nbmes were stuck on 200 for a long time and so I had to extend my exam by three weeks.
During the extension I focused on first Aid and my saved notes on uworld. I believe that boosted my score. Not the greatest score but I just want to encourage anyone whose scores have plateaued. You can definately improve. If need be please try and extend your exams till you fall in the score range you can live with. Trust your Nbmes. They are predictive of your strengths and weaknesses.

IMG
Initial goal score 240
Nbme 18 (9/1/2017) - 200 (pre-dedicated)
Took a six week break to prep for my final med school exams
Nbme 19 (11/16/2017)- 200
Nbme 17 (2/19/2018) - 200
Nbme 16 (3/17/2018) - 217
Nbme 15 (3/24/2018) - 228
Actual step 1 score (3/26/2018) - 228.
How did you feel post exam? Was it hard?...easy?

Thought I would share mine since this thread really helped me during dedicated.

UWorld 1st pass: 85%
NBME 13 - 242 (7 weeks out)
NBME 15 - 248 (5 weeks out)
USWA1 - 269 (4 weeks out)
USWA2 - 256 (3 weeks out)
NBME 16 - 242 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 17: 255 (2 weeks out)
NMBE 19: 257 (1.5 weeks out)
Free 120: 91% (1 week out)
NBME 18: 261 ( 4 days out)

Real Deal: 253

UFAPS + B&B + Zanki. Rx during MS1/MS2, UWorld during dedicated, Kaplan sprinkled around. Exam was tough, mixture of both UWorld/NBME style questions, marked ~15 each block. Good luck to everyone studying!

Reactions: 4 users