USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Foot Fetish, Oct 15, 2017.

1. DubbiDoctor

Pre-Medical
    We're all waiting for your 265+ performance! When you take a NBME tell us what you get.

mistafab likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. anonymousdoctobe

Medical Student
    anyone know where in Zanki are the cards for Joint pathoma video? its not in MSK deck

4. Fission Chips

Medical Student
    Yes... with the caveat that sometimes it is really difficult to figure out what they are asking due to the poor writing of the questions. So maybe take a few % away from those IMO. I'm sure people will disagree, but I thought they could be more clear in what they were looking for in their actual question. I'm sure a 98% is pushing 280, but I have absolutely nothing to back up that claim lol.

5. Barry'sAneurysm

Barry'sAneurysm SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
  6. Barry'sAneurysm

Medical Student
    I think if you miss 5 questions (98%) on the whole exam you are probably up at like 285-290, uncharted territory. I have scoured these forums trying to find a conversion for percentages for the high-end scores, and it's really all over the place. If I had to make a guess, it seems very very roughly like on the real exam-

95%+ correct -----> 270s
    90%+ correct ------>260s

Of course this depends a lot on how hard the form was and if the ones you missed were experimental or whatnot.

7. Reperfused

Medical Student
    I got 220 on NBME 17 one day. Then after one day’s gap, I got exactly 220 again on UWSA1.
    Is this even possible? Aren’t UWSAs suppose to overpredict? After having done first pass of UW (which was system based btw), I found UWSA1 extremely hard! Specially since I had been focusing more on NBMEs recently and we all know they’re cakes.

mistafab likes this.
  8. starlite911

Medical Student
    A little late to the party -- exam is next Friday!

CBSE 10 weeks out: 210
    NBME 16 6 weeks out: 225
    NBME 17 4 weeks out: 230
    UWSA 1 3 weeks out: 258
    NBME 18 2 weeks out: 267

Hoping to hit 250+ on the real thing, although my last score has me thinking about the 260s :rolleyes:

#957 starlite911, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. Foramenlacerum

your progression is super impressive GOOD LUCK

mistafab, starlite911 and pbrocks15 like this.
  10. Fewa Fibroblast

WOW...230 to 267 in two weeks. Amazing.

mistafab and pbrocks15 like this.
  11. anonymousdoctobe

Medical Student
    good luck! Can only hope I can close to the jump you did!

mistafab likes this.
  12. idkididk

Medical Student
    Damn. Alright I'll be the one to ask. How did you jump 37 poitns between 2 NBMEs in 2 weeks?

13. Gelir

Medical Student
    Just wanted to contribute to the data set. Big day is tomorrow. Ready for this to be over. Goal is 260+, happy with 255+.

UW first pass: 83%
    uwsa 1: 262 (6 weeks out)
    NBME 17: 257 (1 week out)
    NBME 18: 257 (5 days)
    CBSE: 93/257.5? (3 days)
    Uwsa 2: 269 (2 days)

14. LunaMeriatchi

Medical Student
    Hi everyone. I'm one and a half weeks away from my exam and wanted to see if anybody had any advice on how to raise my score more with my remaining time.

CBSE 5 weeks out: 195
    NBME 15 4 weeks out: 225
    NBME 16 3 weeks out: 215 (freaked out and started studying like crazy)
    NBME 17 2 weeks out: 230
    NBME 19 taken the next day: 223
    UWSA 1 taken back to back with 19: 251

I'm just so unsure of what to think. I know that UWSA overpredicts your score, but the difference is so large between my NBME scores and my UWSA that idk what to do. I plan on taking NBME 18 and UWSA 2 next week. Any advice would be appreciated :(

Oh and was hoping to score 240+ but that seems basically impossible now.

mistafab likes this.
  15. anonymousdoctobe

Medical Student
    I think you are on track for a 240+ from what I have seen on SDN. Just keep going. Review weak topics and take UWSA2.

mistafab, LunaMeriatchi and pbrocks15 like this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. sharkbyte

sharkbyte Take me to the top

Medical Student
    Just did my first set of timed, random 40 UWorld questions and got a 55%. These questions are really hard!

Krabbeman, mistafab and pbrocks15 like this.
  18. sovereign0

Medical Student
    I started at around 55-60% too. Don't be discouraged! I'm halfway through now and I'm averaging 75% or so. The questions are tough but the explanations make it such an incredible learning tool. UFAPS is a great system, but for me the "FAPS" part is just there to provide a foundation to optimize learning from UWorld.

pbrocks15 and sharkbyte like this.
  19. starlite911

Medical Student
    I really wish there was something magical I could say I did, but I honestly feel like the 230 was an underestimate (in my first 2 weeks of dedicated only making 5 pts of progress seemed unlikely, or frustrating at the very least). And I also feel like the 267 is an overestimate -- I'm in the top quarter of my class, but I didn't really think I was capable of something like that. I'd be very pleased to fall somewhere in between these 2 scores

What helped me the most was to revert to study strategies I'm comfortable with. For example, I tried using Anki during the school year and didn't really like it, but I was convinced at the beginning of dedicated I needed to do it. My number one piece of advice would be to stick with what has worked for you historically. For me, that's working through problems and understanding concepts primarily while memorizing what is only absolutely necessary.

I can give more info if anyone is interested but didn't wanna write a novel -- it's my first time back here in quite sometime.

20. sharkbyte

sharkbyte Take me to the top

Medical Student
    I know everyone's exams are different, but is the general consensus that the Step 1 exam is slightly easier than UWorld?

21. DubbiDoctor

Pre-Medical
    What resources are you using, and what have you used throughout medical school? Is there anything you would have done differently?

22. Drkr91

Hey everyone! Just wondering if results come out at 3 weeks or 4...took my exam March 30th (Friday), wondering if I should expect my result next week or the week after...

23. SandP

Medical Student
    I think it's next week (3/18). a Friend of my also took it on a friday and got his results 19 days later.

Drkr91 likes this.
  24. Drkr91

Dreading it so much...definitely feel like I failed and sucks that I'm going to find out for sure next week :/

25. SandP

Medical Student
    Right there with you...distract yourself with family and friends!

26. Drkr91

When did you take it? If you dont mind me asking...I was averaging 235 on NBMEs and feel like I completely bombed the test...my brain just stopped working. Missed easy questions and God knows how many others that I can't even remember

27. SandP

Medical Student
    3/30 as well! don't think about it!! easier said than done..but I've just been spending time chilling...and the test is a blur at this point haha

28. Drkr91

Yup, I wrote down what I could after the test but didn't go back to look over it after...can't even remember what I put or what questions I saw....hoping for the best!!! Good luck to you! Hope to hear good news next week :)

SandP likes this.
  29. idkididk

Medical Student
    I think you're in pretty good shape! I'm in a similar boat to where you were, where I didn't really see progress with a week of studying. Trying to drag myself out of this hump. Thanks for sharing!

starlite911 likes this.
  30. SandP

Medical Student
    you too!

Drkr91 likes this.
  31. Foramenlacerum

GOD NO. I thought UWorld was 1000000x easier than the exam I got. I thought UWorld was easier than the NBMEs, so maybe I am not a good judge, but on NO LEVEL was my test easier than UWorld. And you wanna talk about the most random conglomeration of low yield stuff, sit my exam..... #things you will LITERALLY NEVER NEED TO KNOW

afib123, pbrocks15 and tick_tock400 like this.
  32. Greyhame

Medical Student
    IMG here. Gave my exam on 23rd March, got the results back today.
    Real deal: 256
    UW first pass (subject-wise): 84%
    NBME 15- 263 (6 weeks out)
    UWSA 1- 271 (5 weeks out)
    NBME 16- 265 (4 weeks out)
    UWSA 2 - 260 (3 weeks out)
    NBME 18- 257 (10 days out)
    NBME 19- 259 (3 days out)

Personally found the exam to be much more difficult than UW or NBMEs. Marked a lot more questions. Don't know if it was down to lack of sleep or a mental block or a focus on concepts/topics I didn't realise I hadn't mastered. Haven't freaked out this much over an exam ever. Had subconsciously lowered my expectations to 250s. A bit disappointed I missed out on a 260, but relieved at the same time that it wasn't lower.

DubbiDoctor, Lannister and pbrocks15 like this.
  33. SandP

Medical Student
    Congrats, still an awesome score! Any idea of how many you missed?

34. Greyhame

Medical Student
    I'm not sure. But definitely more than 15, maybe even 20. I stopped trying to recall after a while. If I'd missed the same number on, say NBME 18, I'd probably have ended up with a lower score.

35. SandP

Medical Student
    Thanks! And curious--how many did you mark?

36. Greyhame

Medical Student
    lol, marked 15 on some. Averaged around 10-12.

37. SandP

Medical Student
    per block?

38. Greyhame

Medical Student
    yup

pbrocks15 and SandP like this.
  39. Foramenlacerum

This is the most poignant and honest thing that has probably ever been written on SDN. I wish you would send this to the people at the AAMC/NBME because I think it speaks volumes. We literally allow 1 test to determine the path our lives can take. To think that someone who is not good at answering questions on a multiple choice standardized test may be kept from a specialty they are passionate about simply because of this stupid exam, is incredibly disheartening.

Congratulations on your amazing score. You are clearly going to be a FABULOUS doctor and I am glad to have future colleagues that write things like this to bring us all back to reality.

40. Lannister

Medical Student
    Does anyone else have an issue with Kaplan where they'll be reading an answer explanation and all of a sudden it jumps to the top of the page and you have to scroll back down to see the explanation again? It's a minor problem but kind of irritating.

Willy38 and pbrocks15 like this.
  41. MrTaco92

Medical Student
    Yeah basically every time I move on to a new question to review and scroll down this happens to me. I'm used to it by now though

pbrocks15 and Lannister like this.
  42. Lannister

Medical Student
    Thanks, glad to know it's not just me!

MrTaco92 and pbrocks15 like this.
  43. pbrocks15

pbrocks15 Romans 8:28

Medical Student
    I'll let others comment on actual advice since that's not my forte yet, but I would like to say your improvement from the start of dedicated is impressive and you're doing great. I think you're well on your way to hitting your target but most likely you'll break your goals.

Goodluck!!!

Superslim11 likes this.
  44. Foramenlacerum

I would look at topics in the Qbanks you are missing a lot. Especially if you are doing Uworld. Because you can kill multiple birds with 1 stone. If you read about the answer and the incorrects you cover a ton of material. You’re at a point where’s only a few more corrects will jump your score up. So I would focus on filling those gaps not just taking practice exams hoping to get better. I didn’t find the NBMEs helpful really. I would spend this week really studying and then take an exam after this week and see if you have improved.

Superslim11 likes this.
  45. sovereign0

Medical Student
    Be sure to take UWSA2. Not only is it the most predictive, it has explanations so you can see where you went wrong. I'd take it sooner rather than later so you can identify some weak spots to shore up and maximize the efficiency of the time you have left.

NBMEs are not really a good learning tool, but rather a way to test your progress and practice endurance for the real deal.

5 more days could be useful, but probably won't make or break your exam.

How is UWorld going? Have you finished your first pass?

Superslim11 likes this.
  46. Cremaster reflex

Medical Student
    Looking for advice....test is in 6 days....originally wanted 260, then 255+, now I would be happy to break 250 lol

Scores have been:

Uworld 1st pass timed, random: 82%
    NBME 18 baseline (7 weeks out) = 211
    NBME 13 (5.5 weeks out) = 232
    UWSA1 (~5 weeks out) = 260
    NBME 15 (4 weeks out ) = 240
    NBME 19 (3 weeks out) = 238
    NBME 16 (2 weeks out) = 252
    NBME 17 (1.5 weeks out) = 248
    UWSA2 (1 week out) = 249

Given what I have seen in other people with a similar Uworld Qbank % I feel like my scores on these tests should be higher.

Not happy with how I did on UWSA2 at all, reviewed it and made a ton of really stupid, careless mistakes.

My weakness has always been Repro. I am doing sketchy path for it now and was going to redo all the Uworld repro questions, however I still seem to suck at the physiology of it even after doing B&B + Costanzo. Does anyone have any recommendations for this? I was considering going through Medbullets step 1 reproductive for this

Also any advice on what to do for the last few days leading up to exam? I was planning on cramming FA as hard as possible and hitting memorization heavy things like Nephritic/Nephrotic, Vasculitis, Lysosome, Glycogen storage diseases, CAH, equations etc. Thoughts?

Feeling discouraged.

#994 Cremaster reflex, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  47. Rahas

Medical Student
    @sahell

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bug you about all confusions regarding offline NBMEs, since its you who put me on this damned path in the first place!

NBME 4 has this ethics question about a child with Fragile X Syndrome, with the fathers sister being pregnant. Since the disease is X linked, I concluded the pregnant woman couldn't be a carrier, and marked "Keep the diagnosis confidential". All online discussions agree with this, except one guy, who suggested "Recommend family counseling" since the mother must've been the carrier, and she had a sister (who might want to have children in the future). But then again, I'm not sure what could be done with this information, since its an untreatable condition, unless you decide not to have kids and adopt, or to abort all male fetuses?? (that sounds horribly unethical though)

What did you conclude?

48. sahell

MD/PhD Student
    Don't blame me. I'm just offering advice to procrastinate my CK studying.

The reasoning behind family counselling is a stretch. If you read the question carefully, it only asks about the woman's sister in law. I agree with your conclusion. If you have to twist the scenario to fit an option, it's usually wrong. Try going for the simplest answer wherever possible.

If you have any more NBME questions mention the block and question number.

#996 sahell, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    pbrocks15 likes this.
  49. anonymousdoctobe

Medical Student
    Not sure how much you could gain by looking at another resource since those are pretty comprehensive. To improve on repro, maybe invest into another qbanks just to practice repro and figure out why you are getting the questions wrong.

pbrocks15 likes this.
  50. UncleMinnie

Actual Step score: >270
    I did half of uworld in the semester leading up to my dedicated time, and I did it randomly.
    Final uworld was 80%, then I did it all again in the 90’s
    NBME 13 at beginning of study period: 250
    UWSA1 4 weeks out, 272
    UWSA2 3 weeks out: 262
    NBME 15 few weeks out: 260
    Final 2 weeks:
    NBME 16: 262
    NBME 19: 253
    NBME17: 260
    NBME 18: 268

Actual test didn’t feel too much harder than 19 and 18, but luckily treated be much better than 19

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

51. starlite911

Medical Student
    Pretty much using UFAP + Sketchy (micro & pharm). Went through Goljan & USMLERx during the school year, and I've referenced Goljan occasionally during dedicated.

Looking back, I wish I had spent a non-zero amount of time (so ~2 hours one day a week) on cummulative review throughout medical school. Be that flash cards, or questions, or whatever works for you, I think it would have helped to not have had some topics that I hadn't seriously seen for 1.5 years going into dedicated.

DubbiDoctor and pbrocks15 like this.
  52. Barry'sAneurysm

Medical Student
    Congrats! Any guess on how many questions you got wrong on the exam?

SandP and DubbiDoctor like this.