USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys and gals,

I have a few questions, I am about to schedule my exam which I plan on taking on March 1st.

Started my Prep around November 2017.

I am already finished with the following:

1 full round of OME videos only took and wrote notes for all videos on 2 notebooks.

Done 1x with Uworld on timed random with an average of 68%, annotated Uw notes on my OME notebook.

Half way thru MTB2 for the second time.

Took my first NBME 8 at the end weeks of December 2017 and got a 3 digit score of 200, and recently took another NBME, NBME 6 and got a 3 digit of 239 few days ago.

Goal is around 240+

My plan is:

1) to take 1 block of UW everyday until few days before test day just to keep the brain going on how to take exams.

2) finish up MTB2 in a few days

3) Start one go of MTB 3 aftee finishing up MTB2

4) review quickly FA step 1 chapters such as Micro, Pharma, and biostats, and some important chapters on FA1

5) lastly, read my OME+UW notes i made

i also plan to do NBME 7 and all UwSA prior to taking the exam this March.

Should i stick to the plan or is it overkill? Should I skip NBME 7 and just take the UWSA and save money?

Please comment on my prep and any advise on my plan for the last few weeks until my planned date would be appreciated.

Thanks

It depends on your individual strength and weakness and your baseline knowledge. It may be an overkill for many people, but still some people won't hit the 240 with your plan. Just use the NBMEs and UWSA to gauge your preparation. Scoring 240+ in 2 or 3 consecutive assessment tests will be enough. I think you are already there, so may be another run for UW + reading your notes will be enough. Good luck

Wrote my step 2 ck on the 16th of Jan, Got my result today. For anyone who needs encouragement the exam is doable. If I could you could too.

STEP 1 212
UWSA 1 228 9 weeks before exam
NBME 7 205 5 weeks before exam (this killed me gave myself an extra 2weeks and took a week off to just cry and think)
UWSA 2 248 1 week before

Real deal 246!!!
I guess once again UWSA seems to be better predictor than NBMEs. NBME 7 was way off for me too, but i had some concepts from it on my actual test. Weird how that works....

How many questions are you able to read the explanation for per hour during your first pass of UW ? Would love to hear everyone's opinion on what is considered good speed. Right now i can do only 4Q's max per hour. Am going too much into details ? Any thoughts ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on your individual strength and weakness and your baseline knowledge. It may be an overkill for many people, but still some people won't hit the 240 with your plan. Just use the NBMEs and UWSA to gauge your preparation. Scoring 240+ in 2 or 3 consecutive assessment tests will be enough. I think you are already there, so may be another run for UW + reading your notes will be enough. Good luck

Thank you... I just want to cover majority of the bases. Just to be sure.

How many questions are you able to read the explanation for per hour during your first pass of UW ? Would love to hear everyone's opinion on what is considered good speed. Right now i can do only 4Q's max per hour. Am going too much into details ? Any thoughts ?

It varies per person but the 2 main things are your past knowledge and how quickly you can read. For me it's around 10 Qs per hour for the first read.

Better to take your time

It varies per person but the 2 main things are your past knowledge and how quickly you can read. For me it's around 10 Qs per hour for the first read.

Better to take your time

I agree with that. But please be aware not to sink into too much details, wasting a lot of time and giving yourself a tough time trying to cram all of that before the exam.

Took my exam 1/27 (Saturday). Should I be expecting results this Wednesday (3rd Wednesday) or next Wednesday (4th Wednesday)?

I guess once again UWSA seems to be better predictor than NBMEs. NBME 7 was way off for me too, but i had some concepts from it on my actual test. Weird how that works....

Yup. UWSA 2 was within 5 points of my actual score and NBME 7 under predicted by score by about 30 points. Definitely didn't find the NBMEs as useful for Step 2 as they were for Step 1.

11:24 am, took exam on 1/27-Saturday. Was really hoping my exam would come back today because the consensus was 3 weeks and @MudPhudHopeful ’s experience but doesn’t look like it’s coming today :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score back today : 26x
Step 1 score : 26x

Study Period: Pretty chaotic over the holidays, many family functions to attend. Had scheduled for 6 weeks of study, after functions and days off more like 3-4 weeks of actual study.
NBME: Predicted Mid/High 240s on form 7 and 8 about 2 weeks out
UWSA: Predicted High 250s / Mid 260s about 1 week out
uWorld: Overall ~80% correct, I didn't really use uWorld during my clerkships, started the study period at about 70% correct, and got up to 80% near the end. Still had 30-40% of the questions left to complete. I did uWorld on Tutor Mode, random; I definitely did not get lost in the details during uWorld, I took no notes, and read over the questions I had done only once trying to learn the major points.
OME: Completed specific sections, Peds / ObGyn / Psych videos only
Test: I found the test incredibly difficult, much more so than Step 1. Coming out of Step 1 I had felt I had done well and was confident coming out with my score. In terms of Step 2 I did not have the same confidence coming out, I felt there were many incredibly detailed and difficult questions many of which even if given another 3 weeks to study I don't believe I would have known. I presume due to the difficulty of the test the scale was fairly lenient allowing for my score of 26x.

Recommendations: Obviously different people have different needs so making a blanket statement for how to prep for such a large test is difficult. I am a good standardized test taker, had a strong Step 1 score / foundational knowledge and learned quiet a bit on my actual clerkships that stuck with me (most of the knowledge for my shelf studying had slipped away). I highly recommend using uWorld, if I could do it over again I would have liked to have finished uWorld. OME was more useful for the shelf exams I felt, but it was a nice review of specific topics; I would use this resource again as it is not time intensive. I did not use any texts / review books and don't think I would if given the chance. I liked the order for NBME 7, 8 UWSA1 , 2; with the NBME giving me scores in the 240s, it really motivated me in the last 10 days or so to study, and then being reassured with ~26xs of UWSA made my anxiety level drop prior to the test.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hey guys and gals,

I have a few questions, I am about to schedule my exam which I plan on taking on March 1st.

Started my Prep around November 2017.

I am already finished with the following:

1 full round of OME videos only took and wrote notes for all videos on 2 notebooks.

Done 1x with Uworld on timed random with an average of 68%, annotated Uw notes on my OME notebook.

Half way thru MTB2 for the second time.

Took my first NBME 8 at the end weeks of December 2017 and got a 3 digit score of 200, and recently took another NBME, NBME 6 and got a 3 digit of 239 few days ago.

Goal is around 240+

My plan is:

1) to take 1 block of UW everyday until few days before test day just to keep the brain going on how to take exams.

2) finish up MTB2 in a few days

3) Start one go of MTB 3 aftee finishing up MTB2

4) review quickly FA step 1 chapters such as Micro, Pharma, and biostats, and some important chapters on FA1

5) lastly, read my OME+UW notes i made

i also plan to do NBME 7 and all UwSA prior to taking the exam this March.

Should i stick to the plan or is it overkill? Should I skip NBME 7 and just take the UWSA and save money?

Please comment on my prep and any advise on my plan for the last few weeks until my planned date would be appreciated.

Thanks

Take NBME 7 and both UWSA, but I would not do MTB3. I would spend your time closely reviewing your UW questions and NBME questions over using a different resource. I would not bother looking at FA except to cross-reference based on questions you get wrong.

Got my score back today : 26x
Step 1 score : 26x

Study Period: Pretty chaotic over the holidays, many family functions to attend. Had scheduled for 6 weeks of study, after functions and days off more like 3-4 weeks of actual study.
NBME: Predicted Mid/High 240s on form 7 and 8 about 2 weeks out
UWSA: Predicted High 250s / Mid 260s about 1 week out
uWorld: Overall ~80% correct, I didn't really use uWorld during my clerkships, started the study period at about 70% correct, and got up to 80% near the end. Still had 30-40% of the questions left to complete. I did uWorld on Tutor Mode, random; I definitely did not get lost in the details during uWorld, I took no notes, and read over the questions I had done only once trying to learn the major points.
OME: Completed specific sections, Peds / ObGyn / Psych videos only
Test: I found the test incredibly difficult, much more so than Step 1. Coming out of Step 1 I had felt I had done well and was confident coming out with my score. In terms of Step 2 I did not have the same confidence coming out, I felt there were many incredibly detailed and difficult questions many of which even if given another 3 weeks to study I don't believe I would have known. I presume due to the difficulty of the test the scale was fairly lenient allowing for my score of 26x.

Recommendations: Obviously different people have different needs so making a blanket statement for how to prep for such a large test is difficult. I am a good standardized test taker, had a strong Step 1 score / foundational knowledge and learned quiet a bit on my actual clerkships that stuck with me (most of the knowledge for my shelf studying had slipped away). I highly recommend using uWorld, if I could do it over again I would have liked to have finished uWorld. OME was more useful for the shelf exams I felt, but it was a nice review of specific topics; I would use this resource again as it is not time intensive. I did not use any texts / review books and don't think I would if given the chance. I liked the order for NBME 7, 8 UWSA1 , 2; with the NBME giving me scores in the 240s, it really motivated me in the last 10 days or so to study, and then being reassured with ~26xs of UWSA made my anxiety level drop prior to the test.

Good luck to everyone!
How long did it take for the result to be released?

Congratulations Qester

I have just finished UW first pass few hours ago :) (68% average). I plan to do a second pass and take the exam in April. I aim at 240+.

I hope I can stay focused and keep my energy levels up till April!!

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, 262 on NBME6 4 weeks ago, 261 on UWSA2 a few days ago. Exam in 5 days. Should I count on 260+? Do NBMEs and UWSAs underpredict? I am done with UW, just going through incorrects, did UWSA1 months ago with a 251. I really need that 260+. What do you think?

What is the general consensus for studying for Step 2 during a rotation? Obviously not optimal, but doable? My school does not give dedicated time to take off for step 2, so I am forced to study during the 2nd half of an 8 week rotation (taking the shelf after the first 4 weeks). I'm just generally concerned for my ability to perform at my max. Step 1 250+ and wanting a similar performance on Step 2.

What is the general consensus for studying for Step 2 during a rotation? Obviously not optimal, but doable? My school does not give dedicated time to take off for step 2, so I am forced to study during the 2nd half of an 8 week rotation (taking the shelf after the first 4 weeks). I'm just generally concerned for my ability to perform at my max. Step 1 250+ and wanting a similar performance on Step 2.

How did you study for Step 1 and how long? 4 weeks part time for Step 2 could be but doable if you’re a good test taker already.

How did you study for Step 1 and how long? 4 weeks part time for Step 2 could be but doable if you’re a good test taker already.

2 months dedicated with no other obligations other than to study. Used traditional UFAPs, with minor supplementation for biostats/biochem/micro.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

2 months dedicated with no other obligations other than to study. Used traditional UFAPs, with minor supplementation for biostats/biochem/micro.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Were you happy with your Step 1 score? Even if you were, the timeline you're suggesting for Step 2 CK might be a little tight, depending on what your goal score is.

Were you happy with your Step 1 score? Even if you were, the timeline you're suggesting for Step 2 CK might be a little tight, depending on what your goal score is.

Goal is 250+ for Step 2 CK and I was happy with my score from Step 1. I was considering moving my exam to mid August, but I may also be doing an elective in my field of interest during August and was worried about performing well during the rotation and studying/taking Step 2.

I feel like 2 weeks of dedicated with 2 other weeks of radiology rotation that ends at 12pm or early morning is sufficient for step 2 ? how long did everyone else study ?

I have done CK on 17th of Jan and it was literally brutal. Very long questions , so many USS images and vague tough ethics and biostat. Recall so many silly mistakes more than 30 and unsure about handfuls more . Very disappointed after the exam, hoping for the best (but certainly expecting the worst of the worst).
My preparations: was 3 months on UW by system and mixed (overall 79%) and then part of the marked and wrong wuestions.
UWAS 1 & 2 (252 , 251) 2 weeks before the exam.
NBME 7 (252) 3 days before the exam.
Hi, just curious on how you did on your exam.
I have uworld self assessment scores close to you and I have the same feeling you got going out from the exam.
I took mine the begining of feb.

UWSA-262, UWSA-2-250

Real deal-246

Feeling devastated
Dear azetronam! I am sorry you underwent this shock (of your real score being less than that on the USWAs). Its understandably painful because of the amount of hard work you must have put in (as reflected in your practice exam scores). However I am hopeful that other than the emotional hurt and the disappointment, your score doesn't hamper your chances of getting into your dream program and dream specialty. At the end of the day hopefully you will get into the specialty of your choice and the knowledge that you acquired in the process of this prep will not be wasted and will help you be a great doctor (even if it is not fully reflected in your test score). Best wishes.

Reactions: 7 users
Dear azetronam! I am sorry you underwent this shock (of your real score being less than that on the USWAs). Its understandably painful because of the amount of hard work you must have put in (as reflected in your practice exam scores). However I am hopeful that other than the emotional hurt and the disappointment, your score doesn't hamper your chances of getting into your dream program and dream specialty. At the end of the day hopefully you will get into the specialty of your choice and the knowledge that you acquired in the process of this prep will not be wasted and will help you be a great doctor (even if it is not fully reflected in your test score). Best wishes.

Thanks for the motivating reply..

But is it a good or just average score??

Thanks for the motivating reply..

But is it a good or just average score??
It is definitely above average (considering a mean of 242). In my personal opinion anything above average is a good score. Now considering that it's good, I guess your perception of how good it is will also be affected by your specialty choice and your expectations. But I personally doubt that a 246 could be considered "bad" for any specialty.

I did NBME 6 today and scored 232 (what a relief:rolleyes:). I plan to do a 2nd run for UW in the coming few weeks.

Exam: 2nd week of April, Target: 240+

As for the NBME 6, the questions felt easy with very obvious clues. Way easier than step 1 NBMEs.

Hey guys,

Need some quick advise, posted earlier on this thread about my prep....

As of the moment I am just rereading my UW+OME notes which I made. So far, I read already MTB2/3 and did a quick Step 1 FA run through.

So, far already did the following assessments

NBME 8 = 200 (pre-uworld)
NBME 6 = 239
UW %Ave = 68% (1x on Timed Random)
UWSA 1 =241

Originally planned on taking my exam March 1st, and now thinking of doing 1 more week or preparation setting back my exam on the 8th of March.

Should I just take it on March 1st or play safe and review alittle more and take it on the 8th?? Thinking of doing 1 more round of reading my notes, and doing more incorrect answers from Uworld for the 1 week extension?

is this a good idea?

Hey guys,

As of the moment I am just rereading my UW+OME notes which I made. So far, I read already MTB2/3 and did a quick Step 1 FA run through.

NBME 6 = 239
UWSA 1 =241

Originally planned on taking my exam March 1st, and now thinking of doing 1 more week or preparation setting back my exam on the 8th of March.

Should I just take it on March 1st or play safe and review alittle more and take it on the 8th?? Thinking of doing 1 more round of reading my notes, and doing more incorrect answers from Uworld for the 1 week extension?

is this a good idea?
I would tell you from experience that it depends on you and how you approach these exam
(Me and my girlfriend approach these exams differently)
So at first it depends on how are you feeling right now and did you study according to your plan ?

I would tell you from experience that it depends on you and how you approach these exam
(Me and my girlfriend approach these exams differently)
So at first it depends on how are you feeling right now and did you study according to your plan ?

Feeling fine and good actually. Just scared. I know for one taking the exam is totally different from taking any UWSA or NBME.. I did study according to plan also.

Feeling fine and good actually. Just scared. I know for one taking the exam is totally different from taking any UWSA or NBME.. I did study according to plan also.
If so, I would recommend you stick with your plans ( on the 1st of march)
If you need anything i am ready to help.
Good luck

Hey guys,

NBME 6 = 239
UWSA 1 =241

is this a good idea?

I can't speak from experience, but we are in this together as my exam is in a little under 3 weeks. I probably would not delay, your UWSA1 looks good. 1 week will probably not change much to be honest. You should take UWSA2 tomorrow and see how you do to ultimately decide. P.S. , we might have a similar range in terms of score, as my UW 1st pass was a 72%. I haven't taken UWSA1 or UWSA2 yet, will do next week.

Hey guys,

NBME 6 = 239
UWSA 1 =241

is this a good idea?
I'm still preparing but I'll say the same thing the previous post said, UWSA2 should answer your question.

Goal is 250+ for Step 2 CK and I was happy with my score from Step 1. I was considering moving my exam to mid August, but I may also be doing an elective in my field of interest during August and was worried about performing well during the rotation and studying/taking Step 2.

Don't do an important rotation while studying for CK. I find a short dedicated (I only did 3 weeks for my 281) is better than having to study for CK while on a rotation.

Don't do an important rotation while studying for CK. I find a short dedicated (I only did 3 weeks for my 281) is better than having to study for CK while on a rotation.

My school doesn't let us start doing away/elective rotations until August of 4th year, so I was hoping to get an away rotation done in August to produce a good letter before ERAS submission. However, I'm thinking to instead take a research elective in August where the schedule would be lighter and allow me to study more-so than in a clinical rotation. Does that plus part-time studying during my July rotation seem like enough time to reach my goals? I'm thinking that doing better on Step 2 CK is much more important than doing an away rotation before ERAS submission. I could potentially do the away in September.

What about studying for CK during my last rotation which is internal medicine?

What about studying for CK during my last rotation which is internal medicine?
ive been told thats a good idea as long as you give yourself a week to catch up on other stuff. side note, your picture is awesome. Ill meet you at the player haters ball

My school doesn't let us start doing away/elective rotations until August of 4th year, so I was hoping to get an away rotation done in August to produce a good letter before ERAS submission. However, I'm thinking to instead take a research elective in August where the schedule would be lighter and allow me to study more-so than in a clinical rotation. Does that plus part-time studying during my July rotation seem like enough time to reach my goals? I'm thinking that doing better on Step 2 CK is much more important than doing an away rotation before ERAS submission. I could potentially do the away in September.

So it really depends on several personal factors. Happy to chat on the phone, you can PM me to set up.

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forums for months - at the start of my CK prep up until today when I got the results. I really have no idea how I passed. My results is not at all amazing, not even close to the mean, but I want to reassure you guys that to pass, it is very doable.

US-IMG. I have been average throughout medschool. Always at the bottom centile in my class.
Time prep: 6 months.
I started doing Uworld last July after I graduated. 40 random, untimed, tutor mode. i was working 4 days a week in between study session.
I don't really have a lot of time to focus, so I quit my job and start studying from 9.30 am - 3/4 pm everyday.
Mid - October:
I took UWSA 1 - 190
UWSA 2 - 185
I took some time to cry and reassure myself, it is ok to fail now and not the real deal.
A week later, I took NBME 7 - 183 (Had a little meltdown for 2 days)

Paid for another 3 months of UWorld. Non-stop reading First aid, going through all the question that I got wrong. I bought MTB, however for the last 2 months before my exam, the book is just sitting by a corner, untouched. MTB is not comprehensive at all. If other people find it works for them, great. However, First Aid Step 2 is not getting enough cred that it deserves.

Took Step 2 CS 12 days before my CK. It may seem like a little rushed, or not wise - travelling from NY to PA- wasting 2 days of CK study time, but looking back, I would not have it any other way.

I took 2 more practise exam 7 days before my exam.
NBME 6 - 217
UWSA - 248
Anyhow. Scheduled exam for Feb 9th 2018.

The first block was a real blur. I honestly have no idea what happened.
2nd and 3rd block was easy.
4th and 5th have some really weird questions but some are really easy, like, the answer is just screaming at you.
6th - 7th block, I was really tired, my head feels foggy, I have 2-3 minutes left on some block and few seconds for some. It is unpredictable.
8th block - I was pushing through. The only Stat question I have is on this block.

I left the Prometric center with the heaviest feeling. I can recall 10 easy questions that I got wrong. I couldn't sleep for weeks while waiting for the results. I drove my family and my boyfriend crazy, by ranting every single day of how I may have to live with my parents for the rest of my life.

Today, I got the results 2 days earlier than expected.

God does miracle. It turns out, you can be clueless for 1 block and still pass the exam.

Please pray for my CS results. Coming in a few weeks. May God ease your studying session and may this story of mine give hope to all of you who are worrying for the upcoming exam. x

Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone. I have been reading this forums for months - at the start of my CK prep up until today when I got the results. I really have no idea how I passed. My results is not at all amazing, not even close to the mean, but I want to reassure you guys that to pass, it is very doable.

US-IMG. I have been average throughout medschool. Always at the bottom centile in my class.
I started doing Uworld last July after I graduated. 40 random, untimed, tutor mode. i was working 4 days a week in between study session.
I don't really have a lot of time to focus, so I quit my job and start studying from 9.30 am - 3/4 pm everyday.
Mid - October:
I took UWSA 1 - 190
UWSA 2 - 185
I took some time to cry and reassure myself, it is ok to fail now and not the real deal.

Paid for another 3 months of UWorld. Non-stop reading First aid, going through all the question that I got wrong. I bought MTB, however for the last 2 months before my exam, the book is just sitting by a corner, untouched. MTB is not comprehensive at all. If other people find it works for them, great. However, First Aid Step 2 is not getting enough cred that it deserves.

Took Step 2 CS 12 days before my CK. It may seem like a little rushed, or not wise - travelling from NY to PA- wasting 2 days of CK study time, but looking back, I would not have it any other way.

NBME 6 - 217
UWSA - 248

4th and 5th have some really weird questions but some are really easy, like, the answer is just screaming at you.
6th - 7th block, I was really tired, my head feels foggy, I have 2-3 minutes left on some block and few seconds for some. It is unpredictable.
8th block - I was pushing through. The only Stat question I have is on this block.

I left the Prometric center with the heaviest feeling. I can recall 10 easy questions that I got wrong. I couldn't sleep for weeks while waiting for the results. I drove my family and my boyfriend crazy, by ranting every single day of how I may have to live with my parents for the rest of my life.

God does miracle. It turns out, you can be clueless for 1 block and still pass the exam.

Please pray for my CS results. Coming in a few weeks. May God ease your studying session and may this story of mine give hope to all of you who are worrying for the upcoming exam. x
Your positive attitude is very admirable and even more so, your persistence is inspiring, despite having a failing grade on a few practice tests midway through your prep, which would have led to some people to simply give up or go into serious depression. May God be with you in all your pursuits/goals in life and may you pass CS with flying colours. Take care and God bless you.

Your positive attitude is very admirable and even more so, your persistence is inspiring, despite having a failing grade on a few practice tests midway through your prep, which would have led to some people to simply give up or go into serious depression. May God be with you in all your pursuits/goals in life and may you pass CS with flying colours. Take care and God bless you.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm hoping to go into Psych, hopefully I will be able to stay positive throughout. God bless you too.

Mid - October:
I took UWSA 1 - 190
UWSA 2 - 185

NBME 6 - 217
UWSA - 248

Hi congratulations. A pass is a pass and I would take that score any day! Quick question. Did you take Step 1 as well? What advice would you give to someone who is just starting studying. I feel absolutely lost as to what resources I should use. It seems resources are so scarce compared to Step 1. People say to not use First Aid for Step 2 CK at all. How would you recommend one should use it and any other tips/advice on how to pass this exam. Thank you again and congratulations. I hope you will have a similar result for CS!

Reactions: 2 users