USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi "pedia women" YES YOU CAN DO IT. this is a really juicy 40 point jump in score from step 1 to step 2. (200 to 240). I think if you take step 3 and pass it and have the result back by the time of your match, that may fetch you a few extra interviews from some of the community programs. And get clinical experience in the US in paeds for at least three months, preferably electives but observerships are far far better than no experience. Also very important to make sure you pass CS in the first attempt if you haven't already taken it. Super important. Also be proud of your effort. You have done the best you could and should be as proud of yourself as anyone who got 270 by doing their best. Of course 270 or 250 is a better performance no doubt, but all we can do is all we can do. And I sense you have given it your all. Which at least in my opinion is something to be proud of. Hope you make it
thank you so much for the positive words. i will surely take step 3 as well as i have time for it..

thank you so much for the positive words. i will surely take step 3 as well as i have time for it..
You are welcome. Take advice from some other people of knowledge too. I am positive that step 3 helps based on my knowledge but I have not applied for match yet so do not have that experience myself. I am just answering from what I know so I would say consult a couple other people, preferably those who have gone through the match process, before you make your final decision about step 3. Good luck again

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I took UWSA 2 and found it difficult, like super vague and i'm going over it now. As usual, I thought it was going to be a disaster but I got a 244. Not exactly thrilled with that since I got a 253 on UWSA1 a few days ago. Just a few days left, not going to lie I feel exhausted... mentally.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, so I took UWSA 2 and found it difficult, like super vague and i'm going over it now. As usual, I thought it was going to be a disaster but I got a 244. Not exactly thrilled with that since I got a 253 on UWSA1 a few days ago. Just a few days left, not going to lie I feel exhausted... mentally.
You got this! Don't let off the gas pedal. You are almost there. It's going to be all worth it in the end. You have been studying hard so trust your instincts and your hard work. I am rooting for you. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck !!!! you got this

You can do this!! Just a few more days and it will be over! good luck! :)

Hello everyone. I have been reading this forums for months - at the start of my CK prep up until today when I got the results. I really have no idea how I passed. My results is not at all amazing, not even close to the mean, but I want to reassure you guys that to pass, it is very doable.

US-IMG. I have been average throughout medschool. Always at the bottom centile in my class.
Time prep: 6 months.
I started doing Uworld last July after I graduated. 40 random, untimed, tutor mode. i was working 4 days a week in between study session.
I don't really have a lot of time to focus, so I quit my job and start studying from 9.30 am - 3/4 pm everyday.
Mid - October:
I took UWSA 1 - 190
UWSA 2 - 185
I took some time to cry and reassure myself, it is ok to fail now and not the real deal.
A week later, I took NBME 7 - 183 (Had a little meltdown for 2 days)

Paid for another 3 months of UWorld. Non-stop reading First aid, going through all the question that I got wrong. I bought MTB, however for the last 2 months before my exam, the book is just sitting by a corner, untouched. MTB is not comprehensive at all. If other people find it works for them, great. However, First Aid Step 2 is not getting enough cred that it deserves.

Took Step 2 CS 12 days before my CK. It may seem like a little rushed, or not wise - travelling from NY to PA- wasting 2 days of CK study time, but looking back, I would not have it any other way.

I took 2 more practise exam 7 days before my exam.
NBME 6 - 217
UWSA - 248
Anyhow. Scheduled exam for Feb 9th 2018.

The first block was a real blur. I honestly have no idea what happened.
2nd and 3rd block was easy.
4th and 5th have some really weird questions but some are really easy, like, the answer is just screaming at you.
6th - 7th block, I was really tired, my head feels foggy, I have 2-3 minutes left on some block and few seconds for some. It is unpredictable.
8th block - I was pushing through. The only Stat question I have is on this block.

I left the Prometric center with the heaviest feeling. I can recall 10 easy questions that I got wrong. I couldn't sleep for weeks while waiting for the results. I drove my family and my boyfriend crazy, by ranting every single day of how I may have to live with my parents for the rest of my life.

Today, I got the results 2 days earlier than expected.

God does miracle. It turns out, you can be clueless for 1 block and still pass the exam.

Please pray for my CS results. Coming in a few weeks. May God ease your studying session and may this story of mine give hope to all of you who are worrying for the upcoming exam. x

Congratulation my dear, actually i am in the same situation and i was thinking to postpone but now your post give me some kind of hope. I will pray God for your CS.

recieved results yesterday
nbme 6 261
uwsa 2 258
uwsa 1 272
nbme 8 257
real deal 249
I felt that actual exam wasnt similar to anything, question stems were much longer on real deal than on any of the uwsa or nbme, also very vague. And as on my step 1 the statistic question wasn't similar to UW or kaplan q bank. I was thinking that I have failed so overall I'm happy with the results. My advice be prepared to read a lot of long questions
I have exactly the same experience as you, even almost identical scores in the forms and real exam

Well My exam was on 3/8/2018 was no similar to any other exam, lots of basic medical science questions and non sense questions, I am not sure how I did, since I remembered some easy Qs which I got wrong.
waiting for my results the upcoming Wednesday or the week after. Wish me luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Well My exam was on 3/8/2018 was no similar to any other exam, lots of basic medical science questions and non sense questions, I am not sure how I did, since I remembered some easy Qs which I got wrong.
g'luck!

I took my exam recently and I seriously screwed up. I'm not sure what happened to be honest. I thought I wasn't stressed since I survived Step 1 but now when I think of all my mistakes it is clear to me that my brain was absent on exam day. I worked so hard and made some sacrifices like most people to do fairly well on step 1 and to think that I just messed up my chances at everything because of this exam makes me feel destroyed. I've been depressed for the past couple hours and I'm driving my SO and family insane. I missed so many gimmies and yeah, same thing happened on step 1 but I seriously made 2x the amount of mistakes this time if not more. Probably more... I'm remembering so many questions that I am looking up and everything is WRONG. I used Online MedEd, UW and incorrects, ANKI, some parts of Bro's deck, FA, and videos on youtube here and there. If I get a 209 on CK it will be a miracle.

I don't want to discourage anyone. There were just some things I have never heard of, answer choices were vague, and I was powering through it so that I do not run out of time on any block. I did NOT have time to go over my marked questions which seriously hurt me. Honestly, I just did not have time to think. I read the question, marked an answer, and had to move on or I would never finish on time. The ethics completely destroyed me too. If I fail I seriously don't know what I'm going to do. This is the most devastating experience... I did not feel this bad after step 1. I feel like my life is over. Sorry guys, I wish I had something more positive to say also.

Reactions: 2 users
I took my exam recently and I seriously screwed up. I'm not sure what happened to be honest. I thought I wasn't stressed since I survived Step 1 but now when I think of all my mistakes it is clear to me that my brain was absent on exam day. I worked so hard and made some sacrifices like most people to do fairly well on step 1 and to think that I just messed up my chances at everything because of this exam makes me feel destroyed. I've been depressed for the past couple hours and I'm driving my SO and family insane. I missed so many gimmies and yeah, same thing happened on step 1 but I seriously made 2x the amount of mistakes this time if not more. Probably more... I'm remembering so many questions that I am looking up and everything is WRONG. I used Online MedEd, UW and incorrects, ANKI, some parts of Bro's deck, FA, and videos on youtube here and there. If I get a 209 on CK it will be a miracle.

I don't want to discourage anyone. There were just some things I have never heard of, answer choices were vague, and I was powering through it so that I do not run out of time on any block. I did NOT have time to go over my marked questions which seriously hurt me. Honestly, I just did not have time to think. I read the question, marked an answer, and had to move on or I would never finish on time. The ethics completely destroyed me too. If I fail I seriously don't know what I'm going to do. This is the most devastating experience... I did not feel this bad after step 1. I feel like my life is over. Sorry guys, I wish I had something more positive to say also.
I hear you I have same feeling and lots of question and info I have never heard of,very bad experience and I would be very grateful if I passed that horrible exam.
good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is so scary :scared:, but I seriously hope you get your desired score. Maybe post exam anxiety is making you think negatively and you will end up doing better than you expect :)

Really nerve wrecking to hear about your experience.. I have been following your posts since step 1. Really hope the exam goes well for you because it seems like the average post-exam feeling is **** amongst every test taker.. so don't be discouraged and trust your NBME/self-assesments. Best of luck!!! I'm currently studying for ck and hope to take it in the next 2 months.

Really nerve wrecking to hear about your experience.. I have been following your posts since step 1. Really hope the exam goes well for you because it seems like the average post-exam feeling is **** amongst every test taker.. so don't be discouraged and trust your NBME/self-assesments. Best of luck!!! I'm currently studying for ck and hope to take it in the next 2 months.
The exam is getting harder with new concepts unlike UW.
Better get prepared well. Good luck

You’re going to hit your UWSA scores. Just remember the exam is curved and we all use the same resources. Someone who got a similar exam to yours probably had the same experience.

Dear friend! Don't be so hard on yourself. It's totally understandable how much it hurts when you put your heart and soul into something and you feel like you have completely blown it inspite of your hard work and sacrifices. I sat for my step 1 exam towards the later half of last year and in the days leading up to the test, I could not do a single practice exam (I had done UW, but all untimed so I did ZERO times blocks in prep and ZERO NBME questions). The first block of my exam was the first timed block of USMLE questions I had ever done. (Actually my father had an MI around a week before my exam and although through prayers to God I was able to keep myself together and go ahead with the exam, I could not do the full length exams I had previously planned to take before the exam.) after the exam I counted 20+ mistakes that I was sure I had gotten wrong plus another 10-15 that I clearly remembered as struggling to answer. I will be very surprised if I am told that I got less than 40 questions wrong at least. I was unsure at least to some extent about 10 per block. And I could not review any flagged questions at all. And guessed blindly on 2-3 as well. Still thank God I ended up with a 235+. And the curve for step 2 has historically been considered among students to be much more lenient so am pretty confident that if your practise exam scores were good then you will still fall somewhere in that range regardless of your post exam feeling. I have, on different forums, personally seen very few examples of people who completely blew their exam after good practice scores and most of the time, there was some evidence that they panicked so much that they kind of gave up on the test midway and just started moving through the test half heartedly with a defeated mind. Which is different from what you did because even though you were stressed and rushed for time you kept trying your best anyway and I pray that you intuitively have picked the right answer for a lot of the questions that made you uncomfortable. I think that in the CK exam you are often so crunched on time that the pacy passage through the exam leads to a false underestimation of your performance, bc of the adrenaline rush and working consistently out of the comfort zone for pace throughout the exam. We will only know what really happened when you get your score but I choose to be hopeful you did well enough to meet your career goals. May God be with you

Last edited:
@blueforest Just trust your assessment scores !!

A tough exam means a generous curve and a higher score, while an easy exam will definitely makes you feel better but will end with much lower score (Harsh curve).

@blueforest Just trust your assessment scores !!

A tough exam means a generous curve and a higher score, while an easy exam will definitely makes you feel better but will end with much lower score (Harsh curve).
The exam was tough enough to even think that I would pass that thing. I have remembered easy straight forward questions I got wrong, that how bad the exam.
I was shocked for the past 2 weeks post my exam. It is no like any other test.

I think they have made exam more difficult, but the curve is not corrected yet. That's result in scores much lower than UWSAs.

that makes no sense!!
The curve is made to measure the performance of the test takers at certain period of time (ex. last week of January and first 2 weeks of February)
,so I Dont agree that the curve is not fixed and will show much lower results that real.

Hi
Test date-3/9/2018.
Step 2 ck score -239. The worst exam in my life.
Uworld- 73%(1 st), 93%(2 nd)
UWSA 1-258, UWSA 2 - 241
FREE 120 -85%
Step 1 score- 228
Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
Hi
Test date-3/9/2018.
UWSA 1-258, UWSA 2 - 241
FREE 120 -85%
Step 1 score- 228
Good luck

How many days before did you take your FREE 120? Just about to start mine today, exam tomorrow. Hoping there is some sort of correlation.
And congratulations! You can finally relax now!

Hi
Test date-3/9/2018.
UWSA 1-258, UWSA 2 - 241
FREE 120 -85%
Step 1 score- 228
Good luck

Congrats!! Great score! I also feel like it was the worst exam in my life.. glad it turned out ok for you!

How many days before did you take your FREE 120? Just about to start mine today, exam tomorrow. Hoping there is some sort of correlation.
And congratulations! You can finally relax now!
Thanks.
About 1 week, but I had many interruptions during my free 120 and UWSA 2. I'm not sure there will be correct correlation