USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I need an advice you guys..Just did nbme 6 and got 203,exam is at the end of May,I did 65% of Uworld with 62% correct,step up to med once,onlinemeded videos,and I can’t postpone my exam because of my observ that I have in June.I am frustrated,I thought I score at least above the pass range..Is it even possible to get 230-240 in 1 month?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello everyone. Hope all are doing well and surviving.

I have a quick question/ or need some advice
I am and IMG and have been studying for 2 ck for 4 weeks now.
My test is in 2 weeks.
Study materials using: Uworld, and FA

I have been through half of uworld (average score 68%) and read a few chapters of FA
did SA last week and scored 218
SA this week was 224.

Should I postpone my exam and do you guys think it's possible to pass and get a score of 240?

Thanks !

I have done CK on 17th of Jan and it was literally brutal. Very long questions , so many USS images and vague tough ethics and biostat. Recall so many silly mistakes more than 30 and unsure about handfuls more . Very disappointed after the exam, hoping for the best (but certainly expecting the worst of the worst).
My preparations: was 3 months on UW by system and mixed (overall 79%) and then part of the marked and wrong wuestions.
UWAS 1 & 2 (252 , 251) 2 weeks before the exam.
NBME 7 (252) 3 days before the exam.
what was your score??

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took today! Hoping for some good news in a few weeks... anyone else take today?

Test was definitely hard. So much uncertainty. Can already think of handful I have gotten wrong, plus add ten to that because you will undoubtedly get others wrong... Hard test.

Stats:

Step 1: 251
UWorld First Pass: 70%
UWorld Second Pass: 90%
NBME 6: 252
NBME 7: 250
NBME 8: 237
UWSA 1: 258
UWSA 2: 258

Step 2 CK: _______

Last edited:
I'm using a combination of Uworld and OME (from what I've read, this seems to be enough).
CK in T-minus 3 weeks.

Here are my stats:
Step 1: 241
Uworld 1st pass (done throughout 3rd year): 67%
Uworld 2nd pass (during dedicated): 84%
NBME 6: 243
NBME 7: 235
NBME 8: 247
NBME 4: 250
CCSE: 243
UWSA 1: 252
UWSA 2: 258
Free USMLE:
Real Deal:

I'll be periodically updating my stats as I continue through my study period.
Goal CK score is 250.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I need an advice you guys..Just did nbme 6 and got 203,exam is at the end of May,I did 65% of Uworld with 62% correct,step up to med once,onlinemeded videos,and I can’t postpone my exam because of my observ that I have in June.I am frustrated,I thought I score at least above the pass range..Is it even possible to get 230-240 in 1 month?

I haven’t taken the test yet but wanted to share my experience so far with you bc I was in the same boat. I finished 3rd year with about 65% of uworld done and took nbme 6, got about 205. Then I took a 4 week light elective and finished uworld. Took UWSA 1: 238. So I think it’s possible to raise your score quite a bit by the end of May as you finish up uworld

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t taken the test yet but wanted to share my experience so far with you bc I was in the same boat. I finished 3rd year with about 65% of uworld done and took nbme 6, got about 205. Then I took a 4 week light elective and finished uworld. Took UWSA 1: 238. So I think it’s possible to raise your score quite a bit by the end of May as you finish up uworld

Thank you so much!This is giving me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What % correct at that point when you got the 205? Freshening up on topics is a lot different than learning topics

251!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much guys for believing in me I am shaking!!! That exam was absolutely brutal and I had to check the score report twice to see if my name was actually correct... this doesn't feel real. I cried for a week after the exam thinking I ruined my life and shots at residency as an IMG since I made so many mistakes from mental exhaustion. Please take care of yourself to avoid such feelings.

Remember, it really is true that post exam feelings do not correlate with your score at all. This entire time I had hopes of passing and I knew that if I pass it will be like a 210 or something... I guess my exam had to have a ridiculous question set and many people found it hard and messed up. That is the only explanation. I don't understand the USMLE curves at all lol. I felt much better after step 1 and I scored a 233... crazy!!!!
Haven't been able to log in for a week but you had been on my mind since Wednesday!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
You must be so relieved!!! Hopefully you're finally enjoying so well deserved time off and letting off A LOT of steam!!
Congratulations!!!

Still haven't taken the test, but took UWSA1 today: 238

I've already finished Uworld and religiously review my mistakes with Anki, any tips on how to improve my score? :(

Thanks guys and congratulations for everybody's performances

What % correct at that point when you got the 205? Freshening up on topics is a lot different than learning topics
I was getting in the low 60s mostly. I had a lot to learn for sure. I've been using uworld as my primary learning source so hadn't read much of anything beforehand so was still learning completely new topics as I was finishing uworld. My school's grading system for 3rd year is kind of silly, they put a ton of emphasis on clerkship evals and we don't need to score that highly on shelves in order to obtain a high grade on the rotation. so I spent a lot of 3rd year in the hospital learning what I could and doing my best to get stellar evals and not nearly enough time actually studying books and doing uworld which is why I was so behind and was still learning so much even after finishing 3rd year...kinda shot myself in the foot there

I was getting in the low 60s mostly. I had a lot to learn for sure. I've been using uworld as my primary learning source so hadn't read much of anything beforehand so was still learning completely new topics as I was finishing uworld. My school's grading system for 3rd year is kind of silly, they put a ton of emphasis on clerkship evals and we don't need to score that highly on shelves in order to obtain a high grade on the rotation. so I spent a lot of 3rd year in the hospital learning what I could and doing my best to get stellar evals and not nearly enough time actually studying books and doing uworld which is why I was so behind and was still learning so much even after finishing 3rd year...kinda shot myself in the foot there
Thanks. I’m averaging 67% with around 60% completion. Looking to get around a 250+. Any advice for quickly reviewing old subjects aside from UWorld and OME? I’ve got around 2.5 months until the real exam with 1.5 months for dedicated.

Thanks. I’m averaging 67% with around 60% completion. Looking to get around a 250+. Any advice for quickly reviewing old subjects aside from UWorld and OME? I’ve got around 2.5 months until the real exam with 1.5 months for dedicated.
It sounds like you're using the main sources people recommend. It also sounds like you have the time to do a second pass of uworld. If I were you that's what I would do to hit those old topics. I'm personally trying to speed through a second pass now, I'm a couple weeks out so prob won't get through it all again. I'm also doing a quick read of MTB. Only because I do uworld on random so wanted to have something that organizes things in my brain a bit. But it's very superficial so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you're using the main sources people recommend. It also sounds like you have the time to do a second pass of uworld. If I were you that's what I would do to hit those old topics. I'm personally trying to speed through a second pass now, I'm a couple weeks out so prob won't get through it all again. I'm also doing a quick read of MTB. Only because I do uworld on random so wanted to have something that organizes things in my brain a bit. But it's very superficial so I'm not sure how helpful it'll be.
So I am in the same situation... I have found ome to be a good read if you want structure to your study. I tried MTb and like you said it's too superficial.

Currently in the beginning of my dedicated study period for Step 2 CK. I'm using a combination of Uworld and OME.

Here are my stats:
Step 1: 241
Uworld 1st pass (done throughout 3rd year): 67%
Uworld 2nd pass (30% through, still going): 86%
NBME 6 (online, timed): 243 (520, 88%)
NBME 7 (offline, untimed): 235 (84%)
NBME 8 (offline, timed): 247 (89%)
UWSA 1:
UWSA 2:
Real Deal:

I'll be periodically updating my stats as I continue through my study period.
Looking around this forum for people with comparable stats to monitor my relative progress.
Goal CK score is 250.

Awesome please update us on your status and how studying is going. Going to be starting prep soon!

Take the test in 2 weeks. Did 1st pass UWorld (all but peds) during clerkships.
Started UWorld 2nd pass a week ago, average is 79% on 2nd pass thus far (about 25% in). Got a 247 on UWSA1 a week ago. Did NBME 6 yesterday, and got a 220....I was tired and not in a great mental state but still. I'm supplementing with MTB a little bit but mostly just doing UWorld and Anki for incorrects. Would love to get >250 but am skeptical at this point.
Any thoughts or advice?
I'm pretty much at the same studying phase as you, gave my first practice test nbme 6 yesterday and got a 220. :(
Going to finish uworld for the 2nd time and watch some OME vids then see where I stand.
I keep on reading that nbme 7 is very difficult so I don't know if I should skip it so it doesn't crush my confidence.

Hang in there, I just did UWSA2 yesterday and got a 241....Not super happy with my score but I think I am getting a bit burnt out. Hoping I'll get some steam back this week. Good luck!
That's a decent score! Yeah same here I was pretty burnt out for the past week but now I know my weaknesses so going to work on that.
You got this bud! Keep going, it's the last push.

id also like some input on this

I would recommend 6 first for a baseline. I would recommend 7 only after you've acquired some lube.
alright ive got 2 weeks of dedicated and 2 weeks of radiology which is super chill at my hospital should i used 7 for halfway ?

That sounds like a solid plan. Also love your profile pic btw - Krieger FTW

So I am 90% into my first pass of uw. What should I take? Nbme 7 or uwsa 1? I already took nbme 6 at the start.

So I am 90% into my first pass of uw. What should I take? Nbme 7 or uwsa 1? I already took nbme 6 at the start.

Technically it shouldn't matter. But as everyone says UWSA are more predictive plus that you usually score higher at UWSAs than the NBMEs, I think you should keep the UWSA to the end to boost your self confidence.

I would recommend 6 first for a baseline. I would recommend 7 only after you've acquired some lube.

That sounds like a solid plan. Also love your profile pic btw - Krieger FTW
ha thanks for the advice i appreciate it . any validity on uworld exams ? yes! jazz hands !!!

Technically it shouldn't matter. But as everyone says UWSA are more predictive plus that you usually score higher at UWSAs than the NBMEs, I think you should keep the UWSA to the end to boost your self confidence.
Thanks! The thing is I am kind of close to my exam which is in 2 weeks.

Took the uwsa 1. Got 237 . Goal is 250+. What do you guys think I should do? Already done one pass of uw. Did Ome during 3rd year. Don't know what to do next. Should I do another pass of uw?

How long does it take to complete the OME videos?. Did a first pass of uworld then did NBME 6 and got 232. I am currently doing my second pass of Uworld and I am aiming for 250+ (step 1 was 25x). I have 2 months left for the exam, do you guys recommend OME or should i just get through Uworld again and hope for the best?

Hey guys i need an honest opinion kindly give your inputs.
I gave uwsa1 and scored 239, my exam is in 4 days. How predictive is uwsa1? I haven't done any other assessments to gauge the consistency of my performance. I feel there are so many things in my uw notes that I still dont remember by heart. Should i just trust my score and give the exam or postpone the date and take a good read of all my notes ? Because I really don't feel confident. Please please help me, thank you

Hey guys i need an honest opinion kindly give your inputs.
I gave uwsa1 and scored 239, my exam is in 4 days. How predictive is uwsa1? I haven't done any other assessments to gauge the consistency of my performance. I feel there are so many things in my uw notes that I still dont remember by heart. Should i just trust my score and give the exam or postpone the date and take a good read of all my notes ? Because I really don't feel confident. Please please help me, thank you
If you're not confident then don't take the exam and post-pone it. Take some of the NBME exams and USWA-2 and see if your performance goes up or down. From previous threads USWA-1 is "easier" than USWA-2.and the average of USWA-1 and USWA-2 was around what students actually scored on the real thing. If you need extra time to review so that you can feel more confident, then take that extra time. Confidence is key. Good luck!

If you're not confident then don't take the exam and post-pone it. Take some of the NBME exams and USWA-2 and see if your performance goes up or down. From previous threads USWA-1 is "easier" than USWA-2.and the average of USWA-1 and USWA-2 was around what students actually scored on the real thing. If you need extra time to review so that you can feel more confident, then take that extra time. Confidence is key. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the kind advice. Means a lot. Good luck to you too.

First time poster. I am a US IMG. Only doing this because I was someone that constantly checked these forums and would see lots of ppl post there NBME scores and then never follow up. I had approximately 2mo of dedicated study. Did UW once throughout 3rd year and once in that dedicated time. Also did my incorrects and marked. First time high 50s%, 2nd time a little better mid-high 60s.

NBME 6: lower 220s (3mo out)
NBME 7: 213 :/ (2mo out)
UWSA1: 236 (6wks out)
UWSA2: 228 (2wks out) PANIC!
NBME 8: 228 (1wk out) more PANIC!

Contemplated changing my date...

Real deal: 254. More than happy w my score. The good Lord truly took care of me.

I will say I am a good test taker bc I did much better on step1 than practice. Just wanted to post to give some ppl hope and share my experience.

Best of luck studying!

Reactions: 10 users
First time poster. I am a US IMG. Only doing this because I was someone that constantly checked these forums and would see lots of ppl post there NBME scores and then never follow up. I had approximately 2mo of dedicated study. Did UW once throughout 3rd year and once in that dedicated time. Also did my incorrects and marked. First time high 50s%, 2nd time a little better mid-high 60s.

Real deal: 254. More than happy w my score. The good Lord truly took care of me.

I will say I am a good test taker bc I did much better on step1 than practice. Just wanted to post to give some ppl hope and share my experience.

Best of luck studying!
Big congrats!!! I have the same issue, my practice scores are lower than the actual score which gives me crazy anxiety.

Quick question -- generally what % of questions correct equates to what score on the NBMEs? If anyone has any insight, please let me know!

Best of luck studying!
AMAZING!! Could you give some test taking tips?

Anyone expecting scores tomorrow? My exam was Wednesday 4.4, it will be the 3rd Wednesday.

What is more predictive score-wise, NBME or UWSA? UWSA predicted my step 1 score extremely well (more accurate than NBME by a good margin), do most people find this to be the case? I think NBME questions are of similar difficulty to UWSA, but the scale for NBME is insanely strict.

I just wanted to post this here for all of you preparing for step 2.

ACR Appropriateness Criteria®

This is an important guide for when to order imaging tests and for what diseases. In the situation where there are "multiple right answers" (sound familiar?), these criteria can be used to find the single best choice for a particular disease. This can be very helpful for the “next best step” questions on step 2.

These sort of questions can be quite tricky -- even residents and attendings find it challenging at times to choose the right imaging test for a particular disease. I would encourage all of you to use it throughout third year and as a reference while studying for step 2.

I just wanted to post this here for all of you preparing for step 2.

ACR Appropriateness Criteria®

This is an important guide for when to order imaging tests and for what diseases. In the situation where there are "multiple right answers" (sound familiar?), these criteria can be used to find the single best choice for a particular disease. This can be very helpful for the “next best step” questions on step 2.

These sort of questions can be quite tricky -- even residents and attendings find it challenging at times to choose the right imaging test for a particular disease. I would encourage all of you to use it throughout third year and as a reference while studying for step 2.

I think it is an overkill for step 2 exam or you may even get to miss more questions.

ACR Appropriateness criteria are fantastic for radiologists and for clinicians to know. But step 2 is a standardized exam and you are supposed to answer according to what the USMLE wants you to answer. The point of the most appropriate imaging test is nicely covered in UW and I think it is enough for step 2 exam.

I just got my score: 251 :)

My preparation period was 3 months, started 10 days after taking step 1 exam which helped me a lot. I did UW twice then Incorrect Qs.

UW 1st: 68% (5 weeks to exam)
NBME 6: 231 (5 weeks)
UW 2nd: 84% (2 weeks)
NBME 7: 239 (3 weeks)
NBME 8: 239 (2 weeks)
UWSA 1: 260 (10 days)
USWA 2 262 (5 days)

Please note that I am good at standardized exams and my step 1 score was 10 points above my highest NBME.

Reactions: 5 users
I did half of a first pass during clerkships (and it showed in my shelf scores). I wanted to do well on Step 2 to make up for it (even though the shelf scores don't show up on my ERAS). I took about 4 weeks to study and finished UW at 3-4 blocks per day and then did all my incorrects. I took pretty meticulous notes on UW and did one pass through Step up to Step 2 CK after my UWSA1. I basically wrote out every major treatment algorithm and diagnostic pathway I encountered and tried to fit them together. It might have been overkill, but I guess it worked. I would use Uptodate to supplement things that I had trouble with and some of the Kaplan Qbank for difficult sections that I wanted more unique questions on.

I was really anal about doing practice questions and squeezing every bit of information out of UW since I didn't have time to do a full second pass. I only did 1 practice test, but I am usually pretty comfortable with long tests in terms of stamina so this was mostly just to gauge progress and get an idea of what areas I needed to focus on. I focused a lot on my weak areas that were shown on the practice test with questions and Step up to Step 2 CK.

I felt pretty bad coming out of the test, and was super stressed out this morning, but I am very happy with the results of my labor.

UW: 73%
UWSA1 5 days out from test: 267
Real deal: 264

Reactions: 4 users
Have been studying for my Step 2 for a couple of months when I finally wrote it. I really enjoyed reviewing all the different disciplines. I matched to a top IM program with a decent Step 1 score (233) but nothing phenomenal. I made up for it with excellent LORs and a strong research portfolio. Didn't put my best foot forward for the Step 1 and was determined to improve for the CK.

Dedicated two months to studying. Worked my ass off during clerkship. Did all of the NBME practice exams and all of uworld. Got 93% on my second pass on UWORLD. Three months before the test, I got 263 on UWSA1 and 264 on UWSA2 two months out. One month out I got 268 on NBME 6. Two weeks out I got 243 on NBME 7 (was pretty pissed about this). Got 270 on NBME 8 a couple days before.

Thought the real deal was one of the hardest exams I have ever taken. I thought for sure I fell below my practice exam scores.

Ecstatic to share that I've received my score and it was 279!! I could not be happier with how it went given that I felt so unsure of myself after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I have a terrible headache after taking NBME 6, I was expecting to score 220+ as I breezed through it relatively quickly. The questions seemed simple and to the point, until I got my shocking score of 209 with 36 incorrect. I stood up from my chair and sat outside on my porch and questioned my existence... Wtf happened?

Took it a month ago and felt the same. I was expecting to get around a 220 or even if "worst comes to worst" a passing score. Got a 207 with 37 incorrect. It's been a month and I kept putting off taking NBME 7 cause i hear it has a steep curve. About ready to take an NBME tomorrow. Any feedback regarding NBME 7 & 8 anyone?

Took it a month ago and felt the same. I was expecting to get around a 220 or even if "worst comes to worst" a passing score. Got a 207 with 37 incorrect. It's been a month and I kept putting off taking NBME 7 cause i hear it has a steep curve. About ready to take an NBME tomorrow. Any feedback regarding NBME 7 & 8 anyone?

Don't worry, NBME 6 has a strange curve I think. You should do much better on NBME 7 and 8. Not sure if you saw my previous posts but I ended up with a 251 on the real deal after getting a 209 on NBME 6 about 2 months out or so. I got a 244 on NBME 8 1 month before so I didn't improve much in that last month but I'm still incredibly happy with my score. I was afraid of doing worse on the real deal compared to NBME 8. Based on my experience, I would trust the UWSAs and NBME 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Have been studying for my Step 2 for a couple of months when I finally wrote it. I really enjoyed reviewing all the different disciplines. I matched to a top IM program with a decent Step 1 score (233) but nothing phenomenal. I made up for it with excellent LORs and a strong research portfolio. Didn't put my best foot forward for the Step 1 and was determined to improve for the CK.

Dedicated two months to studying. Worked my ass off during clerkship. Did all of the NBME practice exams and all of uworld. Got 93% on my second pass on UWORLD. Three months before the test, I got 263 on UWSA1 and 264 on UWSA2 two months out. One month out I got 268 on NBME 6. Two weeks out I got 243 on NBME 7 (was pretty pissed about this). Got 270 on NBME 8 a couple days before.

Thought the real deal was one of the hardest exams I have ever taken. I thought for sure I fell below my practice exam scores.

Ecstatic to share that I've received my score and it was 279!! I could not be happier with how it went given that I felt so unsure of myself after.
Congrats! What did you get on your first pass of UW?