Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who applied last year, how many interviews did you have by oct 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Should I be concerned if around 25 of the programs I applied to sent out invites and I’ve only gotten 3 of them? I don’t have my step 2 in yet and am worried that may be an issue. Based on the spreadsheet it seems like most people have it in.

Step 1 was 248 and AOA. Doesn’t seem like I’m making the cut for a lot of schools from all different tiers...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my app on September 15th with only one LoR. I should have the others submitted tomorrow. Should I be concerned since I’ve had an incomplete application? Or should I be okay since it will be complete on Oct 1st?

Do yourself a favor and never look at the spreadsheet again. I even got off discord... just believe everyone that went through it last year when they say most invites come out in October... not Oct 1st! just October........ even this thread is starting to get bad and I have been guilty too. It's been a little over a week, let's encourage instead of stress. too early to stress..

Reactions: 1 users
So much neuroticism in this thread... guys, most interviews don’t go out until after MSPEs are available oct 1. For those programs that have already sent out invites, they are likely just the preliminary wave of invites; most programs send out multiple waves of invites. I only had 2 invites in September and ended up with 12 when all was said and done. If you are worrying about a lack of invites in September... stop! You’ll be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
Do yourself a favor and never look at the spreadsheet again. I even got off discord... just believe everyone that went through it last year when they say most invites come out in October... not Oct 1st! just October........ even this thread is starting to get bad and I have been guilty too. It's been a little over a week, let's encourage instead of stress. too early to stress..
Spreadsheet? What spreadsheet? Lol.

This is good advice.
Personally, I might review the spreadsheet every once in a while for the hell of it, but I rest easy knowing there isn't much I can do to change the outcome except by performing well on interviews. I might start worrying at the end of October.

For those that have been through this process, what are the chances for getting off an interview waitlist?

Should I be concerned if around 25 of the programs I applied to sent out invites and I’ve only gotten 3 of them? I don’t have my step 2 in yet and am worried that may be an issue. Based on the spreadsheet it seems like most people have it in.

Step 1 was 248 and AOA. Doesn’t seem like I’m making the cut for a lot of schools from all different tiers...:(
You’ll get plenty of invites with that score and being AOA. Unless you kill someone during your interview, you will likely get one of your top 2 or three picks.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
all -- chill out.

the die is cast. can you re-take step one or change your clinical grades and MSPE? No. the programs have your applications. they're reviewing them, just like they have for years/decades. most don't begin really sending anything until after MSPEs come out, and many don't really begin extending the bulk of invites until after ASA.

the interviews either come or they don't, and if you look at last year's numbers, only 2 in 100 applicants (american grads) are not going to match in to this specialty.

posting on the internet and staring at your phone don't change anything. try to enjoy a shred of fourth year, because -- good news -- you'll be interns soon enough... because you will have matched.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
all -- chill out.

the die is cast. can you re-take step one or change your clinical grades and MSPE? No. the programs have your applications. they're reviewing them, just like they have for years/decades. most don't begin really sending anything until after MSPEs come out, and many don't really begin extending the bulk of invites until after ASA.

the interviews either come or they don't, and if you look at last year's numbers, only 2 in 100 applicants (american grads) are not going to match in to this specialty.

posting on the internet and staring at your phone don't change anything. try to enjoy a shred of fourth year, because -- good news -- you'll be interns soon enough... because you will have matched.
Edit: Bad news is you'll be interns soon enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it a disadvantage to interview at the end of January because all the other dates were filled up?

Reactions: 1 user
Received an interview offer from Health Quest, NY. Anyone have any info on the program?

Another intern dropping in to say good luck to everyone! Feel free to PM with any questions. Ill echo what others have already said... Enjoy the process!! I know it can be stressful and will get tiring, but try to enjoy it as much as you can. You get to meet some cool people from all over the country and make some nice friends. I'll still occasionally flip through department websites to see where some people matched.

Time will fly by and it'll be March in no time. At that time a lot of your classmates will drop off the face of the earth. So enjoy the whole year and spend as much time with your buds as you can.

Pro tip: Don't try too hard at dinner. Just act like a normal person.

Hey, I dont take step 2 until oct 29 (lol) and already have 9 anesthesia interview invites. I have even gotten a couple invites from programs that list step 2 as a requirement for an interview invite on Freida, so I think it doesnt matter. The PD at my school also said that step 2 being required is a ploy and most programs actually dont care (ofc unless your step 1 and clerkship grades are poor). Anyway, I still think most invites will come in October.. invites now are just bonuses. Good luck!!

Anyone else find it curious about programs sending out interview invites this close to october 1st? they've had since september 15th to send invites based off non-MSPE stuff, why wait until 4 days before they get my MSPE to invite? Not complaining, just curious at the approach.

Anyone else find it curious about programs sending out interview invites this close to october 1st? they've had since september 15th to send invites based off non-MSPE stuff, why wait until 4 days before they get my MSPE to invite? Not complaining, just curious at the approach.

Timing probably coincides with their residency selection committee meeting schedule.

Intern dropping in, havent practiced anesthesia besides lidocaine and Epi injections for suturing, just came by to say, relax. Its early in the season, most people dont really start hearing till mid october.

Intern dropping in, havent practiced anesthesia besides lidocaine and Epi injections for suturing, just came by to say, relax. Its early in the season, most people dont really start hearing till mid october.
So if we have 3 anesthesia invites and 1 prelim by now are we in good shape to reach the magic 12 number by rank time?

Hey everyone, UK Grad applying for anesthesiology here. Good luck to everyone

Stats:
IMG- need visa (an absolute Grade A nightmare of epic proportions)
Step 1: 257
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Taking next week
Top 10% of class in med school finals
High-Mid tier med school in UK
National Anatomy prize at med school
BSc Undergrad- Top of class

Have worked at St Mary's Hospital in London for the past year as an intern level.
4 research experiences- no publications, one regional oral presentation and one national poster
Good LORs from top surgeons/physicians in the UK

Havent got any interviews yet, but ive been told IMGs usually get invited after october MSPEs are released. Ive applied to 15 programs. Mostly boston, NY, chicago, detroit, and DC

Hey everyone, UK Grad applying for anesthesiology here. Good luck to everyone

Stats:
IMG- need visa (an absolute Grade A nightmare of epic proportions)
Step 1: 257
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Taking next week
Top 10% of class in med school finals
High-Mid tier med school in UK
National Anatomy prize at med school
BSc Undergrad- Top of class

Have worked at St Mary's Hospital in London for the past year as an intern level.
4 research experiences- no publications, one regional oral presentation and one national poster
Good LORs from top surgeons/physicians in the UK

Havent got any interviews yet, but ive been told IMGs usually get invited after october MSPEs are released. Ive applied to 15 programs. Mostly boston, NY, chicago, detroit, and DC

Current CA1, boston program. Required visa too, no invites prior to oct. 18 by nov, 8 ty/prelims. It’ll come. Dont worry. All the best.

I'm back applying to reapply anesthesia this year. Last cycle was an absolute nightmare for me (250/251, 1st pass CS, no red flags with 8IVs to top to mid-tier programs and didn't match). Had to SOAP for a prelim spot. I've been working on my interviewing skills so hopefully I can actually get a Physician R spot this cycle.

I do have a question. I will be applying to all the R spots this cycle, but I was wondering if it is good to apply to C and/or A spots as well? My advisors can't help me on this and I don't want to get burned again.

I would take the hit and apply to everything. Better safe than sorry. If you have to do intern year again, so be it. Better than not matching a second time and possible not doing Anesthesiology.

So if we have 3 anesthesia invites and 1 prelim by now are we in good shape to reach the magic 12 number by rank time?
Id say yes, unpopular opinion here but just remember to be humble and deny interviews you have less than 20 % interest in but applied because you were just following the " apply broadly" saying. I understand that you "earned" these interviews but i met candidates that hoarded interview till December and then decided to cancel a week in adv...

Does anyone know anything about the Memorial Hospital West (Hollywood Florida) program? Aside from what's on their website, I haven't been able to gather any other information on it.

Good luck to everyone this year. This is an exciting, albeit nerve wracking time. Try and enjoy it and take a moment to pat yourself on the back - you're more than the number of interviews you received and the "prestige" (whatever the hell that is) of the programs that interview you.

Make sure you go into a program with a good attitude, willingness to learn and always look for opportunities to make it a better program than you applied to. The culture of a program has less to do with leadership (although they can definitely slow the process) and everything to do with attitude.

Also, good choice on choosing anesthesia - this field is awesome no matter what others say/feel.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys can someone send me the link to Discord? Thank you

anyone know anything about the Hackensack NJ program? required scores.. make up MDs/DOs? anything for that matter?
Just got an interview invite. Anybody know anything about the program?

planning to apply on 10/08. Do you guys think it's too late?

planning to apply on 10/08. Do you guys think it's too late?

Maybe not "too" late to match, but definitely late and you've probably missed some otherwise good opportunities. Why so late applying?

Maybe not "too" late to match, but definitely late and you've probably missed some otherwise good opportunities. Why so late applying?

Waiting for LORs :/ asked for them to late. Otherwise the application is good to go

I'm IMG, EM trained back home, graduated in 2018, did pain medicine fellowship at a "top" US program, have 1 publication in a widely read pain journal, all LORS from US trained anesthesiologists (from my pain program). USMLE 219/244
I'm planning to apply to about 60 programs, both categorical and advanced (I figured that increases my chances) + about 30 prelim spots

Suggestions are more then welcome

Waiting for LORs :/ asked for them to late. Otherwise the application is good to go

I'm IMG, EM trained back home, graduated in 2018, did pain medicine fellowship at a "top" US program, have 1 publication in a widely read pain journal, all LORS from US trained anesthesiologists (from my pain program). USMLE 219/244
I'm planning to apply to about 60 programs, both categorical and advanced (I figured that increases my chances) + about 30 prelim spots

Suggestions are more then welcome
Good luck! I'm an IMG as well. Haven't had any interviews yet which is not what I was expecting!