COMLEX Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Took step today.
So with step the questions were either obvious, a thinker but you could reason it out, or a "ah, you guys got me I forgot this fact or the way this process works etcetc"

With COMLEX,sometimes I barely knew what they were even trying to ask, and several questions felt like situations I had never heard before. I at least felt familiar with the presenting symptoms of basically every case on the step, and felt fairly examined, for the most part. COMLEX is purposefully vague, purposefully stressful, and honestly cruel.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Okay so I’ve heard from a lot of people that the COMLEX questions are super vague but is that the majority of the exam or just a handful of questions? I just don’t see how people can pass and be doing well if ALL/most of the questions don’t give enough information for you to get the correct answer. Are there still buzzwords in the stem and subtle things that can be pulled out of the question to get the right answer?

Okay so I’ve heard from a lot of people that the COMLEX questions are super vague but is that the majority of the exam or just a handful of questions? I just don’t see how people can pass and be doing well if ALL/most of the questions don’t give enough information for you to get the correct answer. Are there still buzzwords in the stem and subtle things that can be pulled out of the question to get the right answer?

There are some questions with buzzwords, but not many. Not all the questions were vague, there are some 1st order. But a good chunk of questions were the ones people are fussing about, vague, off the wall, hard to extract relevant info.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are some questions with buzzwords, but not many. Not all the questions were vague, there are some 1st order. But a good chunk of questions were the ones people are fussing about, vague, off the wall, hard to extract relevant info.
Would you say about 1/3 was 1st order easy ones, 1/3 was 2nd/3rd order (UW like) and 1/3 was vague/wtf like questions?

I didn’t think there were too many wtf type questions. If you come to one, just go with your gut and move on. I was marking less per section than I did on step, and that’s even with comlex having more questions

Reactions: 2 users
How are the results reported for COMLEX? Do they email you that the results are available and then you check the NBOME website? Is there any "permit disappearing" trick for COMLEX?

How are the results reported for COMLEX? Do they email you that the results are available and then you check the NBOME website? Is there any "permit disappearing" trick for COMLEX?
You can see on NBOME homepage when your score is going to be released.

Reactions: 1 users
Was anyones COMLEX physio heavy? Also what equations (besides biostats and OMM stuff) do you guys recommend to memorize and write down first thing when exam starts? thanks guys!

Was anyones COMLEX physio heavy? Also what equations (besides biostats and OMM stuff) do you guys recommend to memorize and write down first thing when exam starts? thanks guys!

Mine was very physiology heavy, especially cardiovascular but quite a bit.

In the beginning I wrote down viscerosomatics, Chapman’s, and some basic biostats.

I think there was two types of questions on the COMLEX that were "vague." The first is that (especially for micro) they kind of expect you to understand what the "most common" is, and to default to that. For example, if they give you a vague micro questions about a patient with COPD who got pneumonia, you should "default" answer H. flu and then only change that answer depending on the small amount of info they provide in the question stem. I think COMLEX does this type of thing more than the USMLE did.

The second type of "vague" question is just poor wording. Where you can know the concept/answer "fine" but the wording of the question can make you second guess yourself/what the question is asking. Obviously I can't provide real examples from my exam, but here is a pretend example: "patient comes in with symptom X, symptom Y, symptom Z, and labs show ABC. Patient has QRS on physical examination. What is the most likely explanation for the presenting symptom?" You could interpret that in any number of ways. The symptoms that made them come in in the first place? The symptoms seen on physical exam? The inciting event? Things like that. When I would come accross one of those questions on my exam I wrote a feedback note saying "Which symptoms?" as a passive aggressive way of telling them to review their damn questions before submitting them onto our exams.

I think there was two types of questions on the COMLEX that were "vague." The first is that (especially for micro) they kind of expect you to understand what the "most common" is, and to default to that. For example, if they give you a vague micro questions about a patient with COPD who got pneumonia, you should "default" answer H. flu and then only change that answer depending on the small amount of info they provide in the question stem. I think COMLEX does this type of thing more than the USMLE did.

The second type of "vague" question is just poor wording. Where you can know the concept/answer "fine" but the wording of the question can make you second guess yourself/what the question is asking. Obviously I can't provide real examples from my exam, but here is a pretend example: "patient comes in with symptom X, symptom Y, symptom Z, and labs show ABC. Patient has QRS on physical examination. What is the most likely explanation for the presenting symptom?" You could interpret that in any number of ways. The symptoms that made them come in in the first place? The symptoms seen on physical exam? The inciting event? Things like that. When I would come accross one of those questions on my exam I wrote a feedback note saying "Which symptoms?" as a passive aggressive way of telling them to review their damn questions before submitting them onto our exams.

I'm sure no one will read my feedback, but when I came to those kinds of questions I did the same thing. I would put something like "A and E would both be appropriate based on patient/physician preference." I'm talking real clinical preference stuff (without being too specific, do you recommend supportive care for this self-resolving condition or a treatment proven to shorten the duration of the illness during this time frame with no other information given).

I happened to be extremely familiar with the subject of one of the questions based on previous work and I put like "none of these answers is technically correct, but the least incorrect one is A".

Hopefully if they do read my feedback they won't be able to quantify the amount of salt I put into the feedback and hold it against me.

Mine was fairly heavy on basic phys, but like pretty conceptual stuff. Where uworld would be like "what is the second messenger responsible for the compensatory effect of the decreased peripheral resistance?" Comlex would be like "if this happens, what happens next to compensate?" Which I actually kind of appreciate because I can't see myself in ten years going "we need to give 25mg IV of an agent that increases intracellular cAMP in vascular smooth muscles". The questions still have the potential to be complete trash though.

As far as equations, I just did basic biostats, VS and Chapman's (as someone that NEVER learned to draw those out the first two years, this was actually HY for the test). Probably be able to quickly scrawl out the stupid Hardy Weinberg stuff that's actually really simple but easy to mess up when you come across a question on it as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my exam (June), I thought that while there were SOME questions stems that were long, the exam as a whole was easier, shorter stems and more straight forward than Uworld. I suspect if you thought you got "owned" by this exam or that the questions were vague then either you didn't study using Uworld as your primary source, or you didn't get through enough of Uworld. I had perhaps 50 questions that were one sentence long. Even more that were first order. This exam definitely sucks and is not easy, but that is due to length / timing constraints and not content. If you can get yourself into a good habit of answering questions rather quickly and doing whatever you can to battle fatigue, then you'll do fine on COMLEX.

• Angry
In my exam (June), I thought that while there were SOME questions stems that were long, the exam as a whole was easier, shorter stems and more straight forward than Uworld. I suspect if you thought you got "owned" by this exam or that the questions were vague then either you didn't study using Uworld as your primary source, or you didn't get through enough of Uworld. I had perhaps 50 questions that were one sentence long. Even more that were first order. This exam definitely sucks and is not easy, but that is due to length / timing constraints and not content. If you can get yourself into a good habit of answering questions rather quickly and doing whatever you can to battle fatigue, then you'll do fine on COMLEX.

I did fine on it and still thought it was vague. Poor question writing as a whole imo

• Love
I was just wondering from those that you didn't mark - were you like almost 100% certain you answered correctly or it was just more than likely kinda feeling - like 70-80% that it was correct?
Much closer to the latter. Sure there were plenty (maybe 50-75 or so) of questions that I was 250% sure on, but most of them were more in the 70-85% sure range.

You aren't taking into account that every form is different. You cannot compare your experience to others as it may be that you had like 75 percent the same questions, or maybe you only had 40 percent of the same questions. It's impossible to tell

• Love
You aren't taking into account that every form is different. You cannot compare your experience to others as it may be that you had like 75 percent the same questions, or maybe you only had 40 percent of the same questions. It's impossible to tell
Good point. Anecdotally, nearly all my friends have the same thoughts that I shared. Perhaps we all took the same exact form, even on different days and weeks, but I suspect not.

real question is, can I still match if I fail COMLEX the first time around but do well on the retake and do well on step 1?

real question is, can I still match if I fail COMLEX the first time around but do well on the retake and do well on step 1?
About 6-7% fail every year if I'm not mistaken (and not all of them even take step 1 due to risk of another failure) and yet you only hear of someone not matched very rarely (number is not comparable to 6-7%) and usually it's case of something else going on like issues with personality or some risky behavior etc. It's just not sdn kinda people of course, they don't pick location and/or specialty. Imho residency is not going to be forever. After 3-4 years no one will stop you from reapplying to a Hospital closer to your preferred location. Yes, it's going to be a "change of plans", but you are still going to be a doctor. Just my opinion.

Any thoughts on timing, question stem length etc? Do you think difficulty is comparable to UW in general? Thank you
I read quickly, so I didn't have much of an issue with time. Most of the stems were of reasonable length, but then a few others were long/included unnecessarily long videos. Just make sure you're finishing each block in an appropriate amount of time. As for difficulty in comparison to UW, I feel that the UW questions are more straightforward and you either know the answer or you don't, while my comlex felt like more of a guessing game. I still agree that UW was the best question bank for preparation, though.

Tomorrow is my score release day. Not looking forward to it AT ALL.

• Wow
Well, my score release is tomorrow and thursday. No clue when its coming out. I have a really bad feeling compared to my USMLE (which was sub-SDN average to start off with)

How long between your comsae and comlex? Did you do any other question bank besides uworld and did you utilize UFAP or something else?
It’s crazy how many people scored >100 points higher than an NBME! Congrats on your score

I wonder if the school would have reached out if we failed? I’ve heard they get our scores earlier than we do.

Does the score report say pass/fail before you see ur 3 digit score or is it all on the same screen?
It says pass/fail on the nbome home page then you have to click on the “view scores” tab which shows your score and the link to your score report

I wonder if the school would have reached out if we failed? I’ve heard they get our scores earlier than we do.
Yes, I've read same thing, but I doubt it's true. Even if it was, I highly doubt school will reach to us before scores are officially uploaded to nbome website. It's just smells with potential lawsuits and I think it's easier/safer for nbome to release scores simultaneously for school and student.

It says pass/fail on the nbome home page then you have to click on the “view scores” tab which shows your score and the link to your score report
Yes, I've read same thing, but I doubt it's true. Even if it was, I highly doubt school will reach to us before scores are officially uploaded to nbome website. It's just smells with potential lawsuits and I think it's easier/safer for nbome to release scores simultaneously for school and student.
my school said they basically know when we know. So odds are we know first

for those who have takem the exam how many q's did you mark per section?

I marked 8-10 per section.

Side note: Really hope my score correlates to these 100+ point jumps on COMLEX scores from COMSAE. I scored 500+ on the two that I took. Would love 600. Congrats to everyone sharing their scores!

Lol in the history of comlex I wonder if they ever released scores earlier than the designated date

scored > 800 on comlex. took comsae asa103 at the end of april and scored 559.
key to doing well (besides moving fast as hell) was to ace micro. only think i missed 1 question about specific dermatophytes.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
With experimental questions I guess those don’t count but like is each individual question curved or weighted differently or is just each one is worth the same? Ie, maybe a raw score of 70% is 600 for one person while 65% is 600 for another, Depending on the QS THEY get?

With experimental questions I guess those don’t count but like is each individual question curved or weighted differently or is just each one is worth the same? Ie, maybe a raw score of 70% is 600 for one person while 65% is 600 for another, Depending on the QS THEY get?
Per the website they’re all weighted the same. But you are correct, some forms might be easier than others so a 60% could equate to a 65% on another. With the low quality of this exam that wouldnt shock me in the slightest.

If the questions aren't weighed based on difficulty it makes zero sense

If one person's test has questions with 80 percent people getting correct and gets 75% = 600, it makes zero sense if the test had questions with 40 percent avg correct, get a 75% = 600. It should be much higher.

What micro resources did you use?

Used Lolnotacop anki deck and made my own cards for all uworld micro. While I saw many bugs I hadn't studied for answer choices, I believe all of the answers I chose were bugs I was familiar with (lots of s aureus, trichomonas, and dermatophyte stuff)

I guess my question came down to whether an exam in its entirety was curved or if each question was weighted/curved. The group curve based on ur cohort would make more sense though for sure

Last edited:
Used Lolnotacop anki deck and made my own cards for all uworld micro. While I saw many bugs I hadn't studied for answer choices, I believe all of the answers I chose were bugs I was familiar with (lots of s aureus, trichomonas, and dermatophyte stuff)

Did you use sketchy at all or just straight anki?