Step I Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Started by ASGD1983
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ASGD1983

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.
 
When you start the test, you have a quick tutorial right? is that when you start writing your equations etc on the paper? or can you do that beforehand?

Also for the timer, does it start countdown from 4 hours? or countdown from 2 hours. then 10 mins break. then 2 hours again for another 100 questions?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you start the test, you have a quick tutorial right? is that when you start writing your equations etc on the paper? or can you do that beforehand?

Also for the timer, does it start countdown from 4 hours? or countdown from 2 hours. then 10 mins break. then 2 hours again for another 100 questions?

You can write during the tutorial, but not before. As soon as you sit down though, you’re confirming your identity and exam and then the tutorial starts.

AM session=section 1-4, 4 hours running clock + 10 min break between section 2 and 3. Then lunch break 40 mins. Then PM session=section 5-8, 4 hour running clock + 10 min break between section 6 and 7.
 
You can write during the tutorial, but not before. As soon as you sit down though, you’re confirming your identity and exam and then the tutorial starts.

AM session=section 1-4, 4 hours running clock + 10 min break between section 2 and 3. Then lunch break 40 mins. Then PM session=section 5-8, 4 hour running clock + 10 min break between section 6 and 7.

Gotcha thanks!! So when I finish block 2, I will be prompted with another screen about taking a break? then when the break timer is up, it automatically puts me back to the first countdown clock? Yikes, it can really mess you up time wise. I'm a slow test taker so this will be hell for me.
 
Gotcha thanks!! So when I finish block 2, I will be prompted with another screen about taking a break? then when the break timer is up, it automatically puts me back to the first countdown clock? Yikes, it can really mess you up time wise. I'm a slow test taker so this will be hell for me.

Yes, after you submit block 2, the next screen will be a break countdown timer. Block 3 will automatically open at the end of the 10 mins with the remainder of the 4 hour running clock resumed. I was always about 2 mins late coming back from breaks but I didn’t care because I needed my eye drops, water, snack, bathroom break.
 
I know everyone has said timing was horrible. Are there any good tips to preparing for this? I don’t read slow but even for uworld questions by the time I finish those long stems, i have maybe 10 sec to select an answer and I tend to use more than that to reason my way through. I’ve heard of people saying skip things but I’m afraid they’ll hide some important lab value somewhere that can change my diagnosis.
 
I know everyone has said timing was horrible. Are there any good tips to preparing for this? I don’t read slow but even for uworld questions by the time I finish those long stems, i have maybe 10 sec to select an answer and I tend to use more than that to reason my way through. I’ve heard of people saying skip things but I’m afraid they’ll hide some important lab value somewhere that can change my diagnosis.

So one thing that helped me is to realize that 90% or more of the questions are not trying to trick you. They are generally wanting to know what you know. Yes there will be some tricky questions where they are trying to lead you to one thing.

Also I may be rare in this case, but there weren't any questions on my COMLEX were I felt like I was being tricked (like Uworld makes you feel). Yes there was questions I was unsure of but that was more cause I was unsure what they were wanting. I remember a question where I was thinking it was something while reading the question and that wasn't even an option lol it was def the most common to cause those symptoms though. But re-read the question and there was one small detail that I missed. Then I chose the right answer which was there and moved on.

TLDR: They aren't trying to trick you. Be confident in your answers and move on.
 
What time are scores released or is is throughout the day?

Many people reported back in the afternoon in the other cycle. I am anxiously checking as we speak.

Edit:

273270
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That reminds me of some advice i meant to give, penises and erection reflexes were strangely HY for usmle and comlex. Maybe its some cruel joke between test writers about f***ing us, idk

That must be your radiating sexual tension that released their parasympathetics. I just got one (1) anal wink on my boards.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a 579 on comlex, and a 245 on step 1
pretty disappointed at my comlex score ... but I'm hoping step 1 will overlook it?
I also don't really get how comlex is scaled, is this gonna look bad with my step 1 score?
 
I’m honestly much more impressed by this than your step. Congrats! You’re a freakin monster!
Thanks man 🙂 tbh thought i could have failed after having lowkey non stop panic attacks during every other block of my comlex. So stoked we’re finally done with this, congrats to you too bro!! We merked this board season, now time to celly again lol
 
Comlex: 584

Comsae E: 502 2 weeks out

Super happy to pass and be done with that exam! Congrats to everyone that got their scores today! So thrilled for everyone that is happy with their scores, and those that may be disappointed just remember a lot of people post when they succeed but the average is an average for a reason, half of scores are below 550 but a lot of times we only see huge scores on these forums...don’t let it take away from the accomplishment of taking and passing an incredibly difficult and poorly written exam!!