Official 2019 COMLEX Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathoTurnUp1865

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this hasn’t been started yet, so I thought I’d start it.
Already took step 2 and got a 235, I take level 2 towards the end of July. Yeah I know wtf? But that’s how I live life. Plan is to complete Uworld a third time, complete combank and comquest as well as kaplan if time allows and who knows maybe I’ll just complete Amboss too if I’m feeling frisky. I’m keeping up with all of my anki decks in the mean time.
Anybody have any insight into what the new format is going to be like? Also, wtf happened to combank’s format? The seemed to try to clean it up but it still sucks compared to the others :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone taken the full length comquest practice assessment? Thoughts? I'm not taking USMLE so thinking of foregoing the UWSAs.
I took the Comquest practice test about a week ago, it was a waste of money. It was 400 throwaway questions, a lot of 1st order gimmes and short question stems. Also there were about 6 OPP questions total on the entire 400 question-long osteopathic exam. I don't know how they generate those practice tests but I don't recommend them. My guess is that they're a quick cash-grab for the board prep companies. It predicted my score as 660 which I am not complaining about but I have no idea who to trust on any of these practice exams. Just for reference:

Comquest Level 2 Practice Exam - 660
New Blueprint COMSAE Phase 2 BSA 101 - 579
New Blueprint COMSAE Phase 2 BSA 102 - 734
New Blueprint COMLEX Phase 2 - TBD (I take it 6/19)

The new blueprint COMSAEs were like night and day. The first one had a lot of vaguely worded stems with a few obvious ones mixed in. The second one was nearly all 1st order questions with very liberal question stems and lab findings, basically yelling the answer at you.

Bonus:
Level 1 COMSAE D - 636
Level 1 COMSAE C - 565
Actual Level 1 - 609

I bring up the older COMSAEs because my score was basically split between them and there was a much narrower range. My actual test day percentile was 83rd. That's roughly what my Comquest and UWorld percentiles were while prepping for Level 1. The main takeaways that I've learned by painful experience through board prep in general:

1. Practice exams on the whole are a waste of money
2. Your percentiles on UWorld and Comquest are roughly predictive

Reactions: 1 users
I took the Comquest practice test about a week ago, it was a waste of money. It was 400 throwaway questions, a lot of 1st order gimmes and short question stems. Also there were about 6 OPP questions total on the entire 400 question-long osteopathic exam. I don't know how they generate those practice tests but I don't recommend them. My guess is that they're a quick cash-grab for the board prep companies. It predicted my score as 660 which I am not complaining about but I have no idea who to trust on any of these practice exams. Just for reference:

Comquest Level 2 Practice Exam - 660
New Blueprint COMSAE Phase 2 BSA 101 - 579
New Blueprint COMSAE Phase 2 BSA 102 - 734
New Blueprint COMLEX Phase 2 - TBD (I take it 6/19)

The new blueprint COMSAEs were like night and day. The first one had a lot of vaguely worded stems with a few obvious ones mixed in. The second one was nearly all 1st order questions with very liberal question stems and lab findings, basically yelling the answer at you.

Bonus:
Level 1 COMSAE D - 636
Level 1 COMSAE C - 565
Actual Level 1 - 609

I bring up the older COMSAEs because my score was basically split between them and there was a much narrower range. My actual test day percentile was 83rd. That's roughly what my Comquest and UWorld percentiles were while prepping for Level 1. The main takeaways that I've learned by painful experience through board prep in general:

1. Practice exams on the whole are a waste of money
2. Your percentiles on UWorld and Comquest are roughly predictive

Out of curiosity what is your percentile/percent correct for the finished COMQUEST Q-bank? I ask because COMQUEST states they use the same calculator as the NBOME CBT score converter. Being that they now have their "predicted 3-digit score" on the main dashboard, im curious if your Q-bank percentile/3-digit and your COMQUEST assessment percentile/3-digit are accurate according to the NBOME CBT converter. Im almost finished with the Q-bank (200 questions left) and its predicting me at a 610/ 71st percentile. When i type that into the most recent (2017-2018) Level 2 CBT score converter its exactly that ... 610 & 71st percentile.

According to the NBOME score converter, you're correct; your 660 level 1 (great score BTW) is 83rd percentile. Now according to the same converter, plugging your COMQUEST level 2 Assessment into the 2017-2018, a 660 is the 85th percentile, which is VERY CLOSE to what your real level 1 performance was. By that standard, i am hard pressed to deny the accuracy of COMQUEST. Just my observation. And like others have stated before...I dont trust the COMSAEs AT ALL!

Out of curiosity what is your percentile/percent correct for the finished COMQUEST Q-bank? I ask because COMQUEST states they use the same calculator as the NBOME CBT score converter. Being that they now have their "predicted 3-digit score" on the main dashboard, im curious if your Q-bank percentile/3-digit and your COMQUEST assessment percentile/3-digit are accurate according to the NBOME CBT converter. Im almost finished with the Q-bank (200 questions left) and its predicting me at a 610/ 71st percentile. When i type that into the most recent (2017-2018) Level 2 CBT score converter its exactly that ... 610 & 71st percentile.

According to the NBOME score converter, you're correct; your 660 level 1 (great score BTW) is 83rd percentile. Now according to the same converter, plugging your COMQUEST level 2 Assessment into the 2017-2018, a 660 is the 85th percentile, which is VERY CLOSE to what your real level 1 performance was. By that standard, i am hard pressed to deny the accuracy of COMQUEST. Just my observation. And like others have stated before...I dont trust the COMSAEs AT ALL!
For Level 1 COMQUEST - 76% correct - 89th percentile - 640
This year Level 2 (have only done 370q on COMQUEST) - 80% correct - 94th percentile - 727

I see what you're saying and I agree, it is hard to argue with the similarity. My main issue with COMQUEST (TrueLearn is worse) is that the questions are nowhere near like what they were for the real test. Just speaking from experience on Level 1, the questions were so much different from any question bank I had used (including UWorld). Therefore, it's hard for me to endorse these questions banks or practice tests because they are like practicing against the JV squad and then showing up to the NFL like you're prepared. I guess at the end of the day, if the percentile holds relatively true, it all works out. I'm just personally sick of all the discrepancy.

Mind if I ask how your shelf scores were this year?

Also, +2 my comquest percentile was exactly the same as what my comlex percentile ended up being

Our school has us take the NBME shelves, not sure why. For what it's worth:

Subject - Score (National Mean)
Family Med - 72 (74.7)
Internal Med - 82 (74.7)
Ob/Gyn - 75 (77.5)
Pediatrics - 80 (76.6)
Psychiatry - 78 (79.8)
Surgery - 78 (73.4)

All scores are out of 100. NBME shelves were tough, especially when the rotation itself was demanding (or not particularly interesting).

Hey guys,

I just took the COMSAE Phase 2 - BSA103 for Level 2-CE (new blueprint) - got a 565.

I wanted a >600 on the real exam - which is on 6/18.

Any recommendation?

Hey guys,

I just took the COMSAE Phase 2 - BSA103 for Level 2-CE (new blueprint) - got a 565.

I wanted a >600 on the real exam - which is on 6/18.

Any recommendation?

Do as many practice problems and general studying as possible between now and your test. Strengthen your weak areas and maintain your strengths.

For Level 1 COMQUEST - 76% correct - 89th percentile - 640
This year Level 2 (have only done 370q on COMQUEST) - 80% correct - 94th percentile - 727

I see what you're saying and I agree, it is hard to argue with the similarity. My main issue with COMQUEST (TrueLearn is worse) is that the questions are nowhere near like what they were for the real test. Just speaking from experience on Level 1, the questions were so much different from any question bank I had used (including UWorld). Therefore, it's hard for me to endorse these questions banks or practice tests because they are like practicing against the JV squad and then showing up to the NFL like you're prepared. I guess at the end of the day, if the percentile holds relatively true, it all works out. I'm just personally sick of all the discrepancy.
Comquest is as close as you can get for the test. Usually the questions are somewhere in between the 3 qbanks and generally you're going to be able to find the question stem/answer for a question on comlex from one of those qbanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score back today. Took the test on the last day of the old blueprint. All in all, I felt the exam was similar to the COMAT's.

COMATS -
Psychiatry - 95
Peds - 99
OB/GYN - 100
Gen Surg - 100
OPP - 112
Family Med - 113
Internal Med - 103

COMLEX 2 CE - 618

Was hoping to land a little higher, but I was more focused on Step 2 CK which I took ~2 weeks later. All things considered, I'm happy with my score.

Reactions: 3 users
How much focused prep time did you get for it?

8 days. I had IM and my IM COMAT right before my focused prep time, so I think that was helpful. IM was one of my highest bars on the report.
FWIW I used mostly UWorld and Savarese for prep, with 1 pass through Mastering the Boards. I used ComBank for the COMAT's only. I took Step 2 about 2 weeks after COMLEX 2. I think I was almost through my 1st pass of UWorld when I took COMLEX.

Last edited:
I just took the new blueprint comsae bsa 103. Got a 600 +/- 15. Most of it seemed pretty straightforward with a usual dose of comlex wtf questions .

Reactions: 2 users
I just took the new blueprint comsae bsa 103. Got a 600 +/- 15. Most of it seemed pretty straightforward with a usual dose of comlex wtf questions .

Wow that's an amazing score! Did you take 101 or 102, and if you so, did they compare in difficulty to 103? I'm so nervous because it's hard to judge with the comsaes ah!!

Does anyone have any consensus on how these blueprint score to the real exam?

Finished about 85 % of comquest and its says I'm around 680 and just took the Comsae BSA 103 - which says I'm at 565.

So where do I stand? The exam is next week.

Wow that's an amazing score! Did you take 101 or 102, and if you so, did they compare in difficulty to 103? I'm so nervous because it's hard to judge with the comsaes ah!!

I didn’t take any other comsaes so I’m not sure how they compare, sorry!

Does anyone have any consensus on how these blueprint score to the real exam?

Finished about 85 % of comquest and its says I'm around 680 and just took the Comsae BSA 103 - which says I'm at 565.

So where do I stand? The exam is next week.
No one knows this answer. Not even NBOME because they just started the new blueprint this month. You probably won't even know your percentile until next year considering they still haven't came out with the percentiles for last year's level 2.

Wow it looks like they removed COMSAE B from the list of exams you can purchase on your own. It was there just last week, now I regret not buying that one ugh! :( There's now only 101 and 102 for Level 2 available for purchase. Why does NBOME do this?!

I took one of them yesterday and scored a 510. Scored a 550 on an old blue print a few months ago so not sure if I can really compare the two.

I took new blueprint one today and got a 563. They're not very helpful, but they do give a feel of new format. My school also requires us to take them so...

Looking at my scores on the new blueprints and the old one, I don't think the two are comparable or indicative of how well someone will do. My range was from low 400s to 560s.

Got my score back today. Took the test on the last day of the old blueprint. All in all, I felt the exam was similar to the COMAT's.

COMATS -
Psychiatry - 95
Peds - 99
OB/GYN - 100
Gen Surg - 100
OPP - 112
Family Med - 113
Internal Med - 103

COMLEX 2 CE - 618

Was hoping to land a little higher, but I was more focused on Step 2 CK which I took ~2 weeks later. All things considered, I'm happy with my score.

How was the comlex compared to ck?

How was the comlex compared to ck?

I thought CK was more straightforward and had better images that weren't as pixelated. I like that COMLEX questions put the reference ranges for labs in the questions instead of having to look at the Lab Values tab. I wish USMLE would do that.

Ya get a law degree beforehand I swear in one section every other question I had was ethics (and not like what would you do ethics but what Latin term describes what this doctor did etc.)

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Ya get a law degree beforehand I swear in one section every other question I had was ethics (and not like what would you do ethics but what Latin term describes what this doctor did etc.)
How about statistics? The new Level 2 COMSAE had more statistics than I was expecting. USMLE Step 1 was pretty heavy in statistical equation questions, whereas Level 1 didn't have any statistical questions, so I assumed Level 2 wouldn't be heavy in statistical questions either...

Yeah if I recall correctly, I had a few latin phrases on my level one and maybe twice on my COMATs.
I take my exam in a week and will see if I get that nonsense too

Can anyone comment if the new COMLEX is topic heavy or evenly balanced? I haven’t heard anything from takers about this “new” blueprint.

Can anyone that’s taken the new blue print confirm that ~25% of the test is basic sciences? According to the nbome, the new blue print will be made up of around 25% of the basic sciences which includes: anatomy, biochem, pharm, micro and ethics?

I’ve completed both of the new comsaes that are offered on the nbome website and both have landed me ~550 and have had similar distribution breakdowns of the scores. What I’ve noticed is they focused probably 15-25% on basic sciences and everything else has been pretty evenly distributed. However, one pretty concerning thing to me is how short the stems are. I’m curious as to if they’ve shortened them on the real thing too? Or am I about to be blindsided by long stems and not finish with enough time.

It hasn’t been standardized completely yet. So don’t go off of it. I’d go off your other numbers. You’re probably in the 530-high 500s range tbh.
When do you take your comlex?
In a few days.

How do you reckon about those numbers? I very much hope you're right. Level 1 was around average last year.

I don't know what to make of the 2 new comsae's either. 101 was around 500's and 2 weeks later 102 is around 400's. So two weeks of studying did absolutely nothing for me...lol! Exam this week as well, fingers crossed >.<

UWSA 1 : 220s

UWSA 2 : high 230s 2 weeks later

COMSAE 101 : 450s?

I test this week. How am I meant to take this?
What resources did you use to study and how far did you get in them? I took 101 as well after getting halfway through 1st pass UWORLD and thought it was a hard test. Just my n=1, but I scored in the 560s on COMSAE 104 only to drop 30-40 points on COMSAE 101, which I took 2 weeks after 104. COMSAE 101 was just a weird test IMO. I have a gut feeling COMSAE 101 is gonna underestimate. Test is tomorrow.

What resources did you use to study and how far did you get in them? I took 101 as well after getting halfway through 1st pass UWORLD and thought it was a hard test. Just my n=1, but I scored in the 560s on COMSAE 104 only to drop 30-40 points on COMSAE 101, which I took 2 weeks after 104. COMSAE 101 was just a weird test IMO. I have a gut feeling COMSAE 101 is gonna underestimate. Test is tomorrow.
Fingers crossed and good luck!

OK, so that's interesting. I've been using OME and UW exclusively and showing steady improvement consistently. I'm not going to complete UW but I've done well enough on my assessments and shelf exams that I wasn't worried until my COMSAE score.

In a few days.

How do you reckon about those numbers? I very much hope you're right. Level 1 was around average last year.
Judging by your uwsas. Those are usually the numbers I’ve seen correlate to comlex scores. I’ve also heard a lot of mixed things about the new comsaes. I’m my experience I’ve been doing pretty much the same on them ~550s but I’ve heard several class mates have had fluctuations of 200 points in them. So really only use them to gauge your weaknesses and work on them. I’m not letting the number game ruin my study flow and you shouldn’t either. If you’re doing well on Uworld (60s-70s) you’ll more than likely do well on comlex. Most DO students do not do Uworld and I believe it is much more difficult than the other q banks and prepares you better. So you’re already ahead of your classmates. Just trek ahead young owl colleague.

Last edited:
Your UWs are solid, I wouldn’t worry :). What were your comats? That’s a good judge too. Strongest correlation is IM with an r of .6 last time I checked
IM COMAT was average and I think I've improved a lot since then because that was an early M3 rotation and I could've studied better for it.

Do people have a recommendation for studying biostats or ethics? Just used First aid to study for them for level 1. Idk if its worth using Uworlds individual biostats bank for 25 bux but thats what I was considering.