Official 2019 COMLEX Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathoTurnUp1865

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this hasn’t been started yet, so I thought I’d start it.
Already took step 2 and got a 235, I take level 2 towards the end of July. Yeah I know wtf? But that’s how I live life. Plan is to complete Uworld a third time, complete combank and comquest as well as kaplan if time allows and who knows maybe I’ll just complete Amboss too if I’m feeling frisky. I’m keeping up with all of my anki decks in the mean time.
Anybody have any insight into what the new format is going to be like? Also, wtf happened to combank’s format? The seemed to try to clean it up but it still sucks compared to the others :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
YES, this 100%. I used UW exclusively and somehow feel more prepared for a technically harder test than Level 2 simply because of how they present the cases. And hey, sorry about the heart beat ear torture thing. That sucks. That’s such a weird feature(?).

It’s honestly a relief to see so many SDNers feeling weird about this test. Gives me hope we’ll be treated mercifully by the NBOME.
It’s tough preparing for two exams for Level 2. Not enough time.

Just to add another data point, that exam was ridiculous. Just had it today, between the insane amount of legal/ethics/weird questions and the weird presentations of actual medicine, I’m just hoping I passed.

Definitely makes me feel better hearing everyone else say the same things. Maybe they’ll end up lowering the passing standard hahaha

Oh and my test froze too. On the first block like 10 questions in. The prometric person said it has been happening a lot. Glad to see they thoroughly tested the new software /s

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add another data point, that exam was ridiculous. Just had it today, between the insane amount of legal/ethics/weird questions and the weird presentations of actual medicine, I’m just hoping I passed.

Definitely makes me feel better hearing everyone else say the same things. Maybe they’ll end up lowering the passing standard hahaha

Oh and my test froze too. On the first block like 10 questions in. The prometric person said it has been happening a lot. Glad to see they thoroughly tested the new software /s

At least when it freezes on question 370/400 like it did for me you get a free 5-7 min break ;)

At least when it freezes on question 370/400 like it did for me you get a free 5-7 min break ;)

Haha oh I guess it’s meant as a feature then! Just like how they “soothe” you by letting you listen to heart sounds for the rest of the block if you forget to hit stop ;)

Mine froze too. I actually didn’t mind, as it gave me a 15 min break to relax until they rebooted it.

Took it this week.

Studied only UW. First pass average was 73%. Second pass average was 88%.
UWSA1 260 1 month out
UWSA2 264 1 week out

Real deal was terrible. What a joke of an exam. Maybe 1/3 was medicine. The rest was a mix of weird ethics questions and straight up medical law complete with Latin answer choices.
I would not be at all surprised if I failed. Step 2 was harder from a medicine standpoint but at least it was a fair test. Comlex is going above and beyond to test on concepts that a 3rd/4th year student has no business knowing.

Reactions: 3 users
Took it this week.

Studied only UW. First pass average was 73%. Second pass average was 88%.
UWSA1 260 1 month out
UWSA2 264 1 week out

Real deal was terrible. What a joke of an exam. Maybe 1/3 was medicine. The rest was a mix of weird ethics questions and straight up medical law complete with Latin answer choices.
I would not be at all surprised if I failed. Step 2 was harder from a medicine standpoint but at least it was a fair test. Comlex is going above and beyond to test on concepts that a 3rd/4th year student has no business knowing.

Had similar scores to you. Felt the same way. Feel like I absolutely bombed.

Creating another deck; will be law and ethics. Will have info from Uworld, comquest, truelearn, dirty usmle and “Master the Boards: Medical Ethics.” Will be called TurnUp2MFEthics&Law.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. If it helps anyone, I too felt like I could have failed level 2 and kept thinking of 50/50 questions I missed and what not. I got a 650+ so maybe not all hope is lost for you guys. For context. I only studied for STEP 2 really. UWSA 1, UWSA 2, and did UW 1.5x

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. If it helps anyone, I too felt like I could have failed level 2 and kept thinking of 50/50 questions I missed and what not. I got a 650+ so maybe not all hope is lost for you guys. For context. I only studied for STEP 2 really. UWSA 1, UWSA 2, and did UW 1.5x
What were your UWSA and uworld percentile?

Was that the new blueprint exam?

Great score, congrats!

Was that the new blueprint exam?

Great score, congrats!
No i took it May 17th. But there were still several ethical questions that I pretty much took the L on. I felt very similar to how all of you are describing the new blueprint too though.

Comlex was tough, but nothing compared to usmle honestly. If you are good at biostats they are all easy, omm was easy, ethics were full of 50/50 questions but its going to be 50/50 for everybody. There were so many gimme questions on the comlex it made up for the crazy questions.

Comlex difficulty out of 10 is probably a 7
USMLE out of 10 was for sure a 10.

UWSAs 250 and 252
Comsae scores 4 months out = 510, 2 months out = 690
Comquest first pass ~ 85%
Uworld 1.5x pass (I did OB, surgery, psych and half of IM during rotations) ~ 77%.
COMAT average ~ 110

Will report my scores later for yall. I am by no means saying comlex was a breeze, or that I think I crushed either, but if you take USMLE first and then comlex the difference is night and day in terms of difficulty of questions and focus required to push through the 9hr exam.

The new interface for comlex is kind of nice, and I didn't have any technical difficulties. I had no problems with timing (and I am someone who usually takes up the whole time). Lots of really long questions, but also lots of really short questions. It did not feel any different than a usual comlex/comat other than lots of stats. It honestly felt like the IM comat with stats mixed in

Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Comlex was tough, but nothing compared to usmle honestly. If you are good at biostats they are all easy, omm was easy, ethics were full of 50/50 questions but its going to be 50/50 for everybody. There were so many gimme questions on the comlex it made up for the crazy questions.

Comlex difficulty out of 10 is probably a 7
USMLE out of 10 was for sure a 10.

UWSAs 250 and 252
Comsae scores 4 months out = 510, 2 months out = 690
Comquest first pass ~ 85%
Uworld 1.5x pass (I did OB, surgery, psych and half of IM during rotations) ~ 77%.
COMAT average ~ 110

Will report my scores later for yall. I am by no means saying comlex was a breeze, or that I think I crushed either, but if you take USMLE first and then comlex the difference is night and day in terms of difficulty of questions and focus required to push through the 9hr exam.

The new interface for comlex is kind of nice, and I didn't have any technical difficulties. I had no problems with timing (and I am someone who usually takes up the whole time). Lots of really long questions, but also lots of really short questions. It did not feel any different than a usual comlex/comat other than lots of stats. It honestly felt like the IM comat with stats mixed in

Good luck everyone.
I’ve been hearing the new comsaes are underpredicting on average 50-100 points lower than what the real thing will be. Hoping that’ll be true, 600-650 is my goal!

I know we will be waiting for awhile for scores to be released, but when they do, please post your averages from qbanks and tests! Would like to compare comquest’s predictive score to see how “predictive” it actually is. There will obviously be overinflated bias but it’s nice to have those numbers out there.

Uworld: 1st pass 68
2nd pass 82
Comquest: 1st pass 75
Combank: 1st pass 78
Comsaes all 500-580
Comats 95-130
Step 1: 220s
Step 2: 230s
Level 1: low 500s
Level2: TBD
Took it today. Was a weird test, weird features and weird bugs. Lots of ethics but they were pretty easy. Omm was pretty easy as well. Biostats was hit or miss. Everything else I felt okay about. Would go like 10-15 easy peasy and than bam, a row of wtf questions, one after another. Ran out of time on the last block and had to guess on two. Which is weird because I never run out of time.
Things I hated: bugs and format

Uworld: 1st pass 68
2nd pass 82
Comquest: 1st pass 75
Combank: 1st pass 78
Comsaes all 500-580
Comats 95-130
Step 1: 220s
Step 2: 230s
Level 1: low 500s
Level2: TBD
Took it today. Was a weird test, weird features and weird bugs. Lots of ethics but they were pretty easy. Omm was pretty easy as well. Biostats was hit or miss. Everything else I felt okay about. Would go like 10-15 easy peasy and than bam, a row of wtf questions, one after another. Ran out of time on the last block and had to guess on two. Which is weird because I never run out of time.
Things I hated: bugs and format
Agreed, the new format seems like a step backward aside from having the question numbers down the left-hand side.

Glad you’re out the other side!

Anything you wish you did differently, in retrospect. Also, how did those quizlet ethics "decks" work out? Would you suggest them? If so, mind linking them? Exam soon. Feeling overwhelmed... le sigh..
I wish my brain was capable of remembering how to biostats because no matter how long I try to hammer that useless nonsense in, it never sticks. The decks didn’t do much tbh but I found them by just googling “COMLEX level 2 CE ethics”

May I ask what specifically the new format is like? I know: new color scheme, time in the middle, anything else?
For me it was green, took up the middle third of the screen only, felt more cramped as it didn’t use all the screen real estate, mostly long stems with some scrolling required, lots of imo unhelpful videos and the question numbers are listed along the left side, which was helpful.

• Love
There’s a tutorial exam with the new format on the NBOME website btw- if anyone is concerned about being thrown off by it, go check it out ahead of time!

Anybody have their score back that also took one of the new blueprint-COMSAEs for the CE? I took the one named BSA104 since we my school has us take it ~1-2 weeks before the real thing. Got 679 but I haven't been able to find anyone discussing it's correlation to their actual score.

The best I can do right now is assume that if the correlation is similar to form E for level 1 then my real score will be 50-100 points lower.

I took the BSA103 COMSAE phase 2 and got a 551. My test is in a couple days. Kind of wanted a 600 but I guess its not that realistic at this point.
UWSA 1 - 246
UWSA 2 - 244

Are these COMSAEs new? If it over predicts im gonna score 100 points lower than I did like last year as well ^

I took the BSA103 COMSAE phase 2 and got a 551. My test is in a couple days. Kind of wanted a 600 but I guess its not that realistic at this point.
UWSA 1 - 246
UWSA 2 - 244

Are these COMSAEs new? If it over predicts im gonna score 100 points lower than I did like last year as well ^
Our school says it’ll probably underpredicts by 50-100 points

Post your answer to this. Q may be familiar to some and example of the "law/policy" type of questions asked.
Daughter has a dad with Parkinson's and and now has taken on full care of the patient and states that it is becoming too much for her to manage. She explains her financial options are LIMITED. You should refer her to:
A) the closest extended care facility
B) Local office of aging
C) Visiting nurse association

I don’t like those options. Out of curiosity, isn’t the answer A? Like if you are broke and your parents are broke, then they should apply for Medicaid if they are less than 65 and Medicare if they are older than 65. And then that should pay for the assisted living.

Unless by LIMITED it just means the budget is tight, in which case, doesn’t that mean an office of aging can provide certain services.

So confused.

taking the exam next week.. Basically relying on my studying (OME, a few books, and COMQUEST/COMBANK) throughout 3rd year. Really only had 2 weeks to prep and just don't have it in me to go balls to the wall to maximize points. Dead set on family medicine so if I can do similarly on Level 2 as my Level 1 I will be fine. Did COMQUEST throughout 3rd year and just going back through it during dedicated. My last COMAT was in March, so by the time dedicated rolled around, I had forgotten a lot of COMQUEST. I haven't started studying OMT, and will start that next week.

COMSAE in April- 551 (zero prep)
COMATS - 107-120
Uworld first pass - 68%
COMQUEST first pass - 76%
COMQUEST second pass - 78%
Level 1 - 598

Took the exam last week and I will second what everyone else had said regarding the insane amount of biostats, odd legal/ethics questions and omm. I have been lurking on this thread and had I not read everyone’s posts prior to my exam, I most definitely wouldn’t have studied as much of those topics. For biostats I watched the USMLE step 1 biostats videos on YouTube that are about 30 mins each and found those very helpful. Did some random quizlet on med law, read FA behavioral health section and studied my OMM notes from M1/2. My exam felt like it was maybe 1/3 medicine (OBGYN, peds, derm) and the rest was voodoo. They seemed to love asking the same question on certain topics like 5 times. I went through sketchy micro and found it very helpful for the level 1 style micro questions. Had about 3 weeks dedicated, did UW slightly over 1x, had IM shelf a few weeks before so I did the medicine section then and did other subject during the year along with rotations. Redid some ongyn, biostats, and did all combank omm/ethics, and some random blocks to get it the groove of format.

Start of dedicated:
COMSAE 101: 495
UWSA 1: 215

3 days before exam:
COMSAE 102: 649

Didn’t do so hot on level 1 so hoping this exam went better. Walked out of the testing center relieved to have it over with but felt terrible. It was a very weird exam and how in the world it’s a medical licensure exam with such minimal medicine, I just don’t understand. I did not have any technical issues on test day and found the new interface refreshing. Timing was an issue for me, especially on the last block of the day. Had to rush though the last 15 or so questions but had some time to quickly go back over them.

Just finished COMSAE 104 and got an 817 which is stupid and I don't believe it for a second. For level 1 I dropped over 50 points from the comsae (form E). Still ended up with a 601 with is definitely nothing to sneeze at imo, but still not what I was hoping for. Usually I heavily neglect OMM, which really brought down my level 1, so trying to shore that up a little this time. I take level 2 in two days, so hopefully there's at least some correlation lol. Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Edit: Does anyone know a way to review the comsae questions that I'm not seeing, or do they just give you the score and tell you to have a nice day?

Just finished COMSAE 104 and got an 817 which is stupid and I don't believe it for a second. For level 1 I dropped over 50 points from the comsae (form E). Still ended up with a 601 with is definitely nothing to sneeze at imo, but still not what I was hoping for. Usually I heavily neglect OMM, which really brought down my level 1, so trying to shore that up a little this time. I take level 2 in two days, so hopefully there's at least some correlation lol. Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Edit: Does anyone know a way to review the comsae questions that I'm not seeing, or do they just give you the score and tell you to have a nice day?
How did you take 104? Only 101/102 are on the nbome website.

Great score, though! Did you by chance smoke the comats?

How did you take 104? Only 101/102 are on the nbome website.

Great score, though! Did you by chance smoke the comats?
104 is the only one available to me on NBOME. Someone feel free to correct me, but I think it's because that's the one my school purchased for us. I probably won't take any of the others since my test is in 2 days. My comats were pretty good, but they weren't exactly face melting (except I killed psych for some reason (literally just picked SSRI or CBT if I didn't know the answer lol)): IM 111; FM 108; Peds 113; Ob 108, Psych 127; Surg 112

104 is the only one available to me on NBOME. Someone feel free to correct me, but I think it's because that's the one my school purchased for us. I probably won't take any of the others since my test is in 2 days. My comats were pretty good, but they weren't exactly face melting (except I killed psych for some reason (literally just picked SSRI or CBT if I didn't know the answer lol)): IM 111; FM 108; Peds 113; Ob 108, Psych 127; Surg 112
I gotcha. Thanks for the input and scores. Even if it over-predicts by 100 you will get an amazing score :). Good luck friend!

Took COMLEX Level 2 on 5/13 (prior blueprint) - 643

Not sure how helpful this will be since this was the prior blueprint. Only completed OB/GYN, Peds, and IM OnlineMedEd videos prior to the exam during rotations. 1 month of dedicated prepping for Step 2. Completed about 70% of UWorld at 68% correct (1st pass) by the time my exam rolled around. About 5 days before the exam, I used COMBANK for OMM/Ethics/Legal/Stats and puffy review sheet of the green book. No practice exams prior to the exam. I was just taking it to pass and preparing for Step 2 (which I still haven't taken and keep pushing back). UWSA1 the day after the exam 237.

COMLEX Level 1 - 538
Step 1 - 232

COMATS:
Surgery - 99
Psych - 100
IM - 104
FM - 97
Peds - 103
OB/GYN - 116
OMM - 108

Took it today. Honestly it was a joke compared to step 2. Question stems were short so if you couldn't come up with the answer based off the info they gave you in two sentences you were kinda screwed. I thought the OMM on the comat was worse than the omm on this. You better know biostats. I would recommend the Randy Neil Vids on youtube. They came in clutch. I tried to read the green book with 3 days in between step and comlex but just decided to rip through the comquest questions and I thought it was enough. As far as ethics, who knows. I didn't know law was suppose to be part of my curriculum but whatever. I took a hit on most of that since half of it was in latin. Now we wait a month.

Not a lot of medical ethics and law is in Latin from all the flash cards and texts I’m reviewing. Maybe they were the distraction answers?

Lmao yea I'd rather not give money to the organization that puts out these **** exams but just trying to get a gauge on my performance if I'll pass. I've only been doing combank since that has some OMM nonsense in there.

Just got out and the test was exactly like everyone has described. Esoteric, lots of vague ethics and bio stats, some actua medical knowledge, then the rest was OMM.. most of the medicine wasn’t that hard, but the rest of the exam was a **** show that I don’t feel like any amount of studying would have prepped me to be comfortable with the exam

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Just got out and the test was exactly like everyone has described. Esoteric, lots of vague ethics and bio stats, some actua medical knowledge, then the rest was OMM.. most of the medicine wasn’t that hard, but the rest of the exam was a **** show that I don’t feel like any amount of studying would have prepped me to be comfortable with the exam

How did you prep? Did you take any COMSAE's?

How did you prep? Did you take any COMSAE's?

Comquest 2x (once through the year, once dedicated) and Uworld once in dedicated (it wouldn’t have helped with this test) - only comsae was a school required in April with old format. Didn’t take any of the new ones.

Last edited:
  • Sad
My biggest issue with the CE when compared to Level 1 was that I thought they actually did an okay job putting in the necessary facts to figure out the pathology that was going on when they actually asked about medical issues, except there were a good number of times where they decided to split up the management of a patient into two answers which were equally correct.

That plus 1/4 of my test being a combination of ethics or biostats, especially being really heavy on what organizations you report certain diseases to or what you must include in every chart of a patient with x, y, or z pathology to cover yourself medicolegally.

Ugh there's like no good resources (first aid etc) any where for the medial legal ****. It makes no sense why its on the exam especially since I doubt many of us ever encountered those latin terms.