USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Small update- About 1500 questions left between Rx (79% correct) and Kaplan (74% correct). Hoping to finish those in the next 2.5 weeks and start uworld after we get back from spring break. Planning on taking NBME 18 around the same time to get a good baseline. You all are killing it!

Reactions: 7 users
Small update- About 1500 questions left between Rx (79% correct) and Kaplan (74% correct). Hoping to finish those in the next 2.5 weeks and start uworld after we get back from spring break. Planning on taking NBME 18 around the same time to get a good baseline. You all are killing it!

My group will be doing 18 also. I haven't done much researh(reddit browsing lol) on it, but 18 gets tossed around a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
My group will be doing 18 also. I haven't done much researh(reddit browsing lol) on it, but 18 gets tossed around a lot.
Honestly just ended up choosing that one bc it’s the only one they’re keeping around. I figured there must be a reason to get rid of the others :shrug: Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck. Super curious on your NBME to rx correlation.

sorry for dobule post but how are you reviewing your incorrects/marked/corrects? Just wondering. 100 q's a day seems like a decent amount if you have class and/or anki cards haha

Good luck. Super curious on your NBME to rx correlation.
I really am too to be honest. We had a CBSE about 6-7 weeks ago that had me at ~210. I’m hoping that wasn’t a fluke :xf:

sorry for dobule post but how are you reviewing your incorrects/marked/corrects? Just wondering. 100 q's a day seems like a decent amount if you have class and/or anki cards haha
Fortunately we are finishing up our last module next week. I’ve worked ahead and finished this module up, so now I’ll just do question blocks all day.

My corrects I skim the explanation to make sure I was on the right thought process and quickly move on. Incorrects and marked questions I read the explanations and then search Zanki for the topic and either restart the card if I’ve seen it before or unsuspend it if it’s new. So I end up just selecting the cards associated with the topic and mow through them with the rest of my review deck cards for the day. Especially for Rx, I’ve found that I have zanki cards that basically hit the high points of the explanations and questions so I don’t spend much time on their stuff. A 40 question block takes me ~1 hour to do and then maybe 30 minutes to review. Kaplan takes me a little bit longer, but I take a similar approach to theirs. UWorld will be much different where I spend much more time on the explanations, but I’ve basically used these qbanks to shift my zanki deck to hammer weaknesses and see board style questions.

I really am too to be honest. We had a CBSE about 6-7 weeks ago that had me at ~210. I’m hoping that wasn’t a fluke :xf:

Fortunately we are finishing up our last module next week. I’ve worked ahead and finished this module up, so now I’ll just do question blocks all day.

My corrects I skim the explanation to make sure I was on the right thought process and quickly move on. Incorrects and marked questions I read the explanations and then search Zanki for the topic and either restart the card if I’ve seen it before or unsuspend it if it’s new. So I end up just selecting the cards associated with the topic and mow through them with the rest of my review deck cards for the day. Especially for Rx, I’ve found that I have zanki cards that basically hit the high points of the explanations and questions so I don’t spend much time on their stuff. A 40 question block takes me ~1 hour to do and then maybe 30 minutes to review. Kaplan takes me a little bit longer, but I take a similar approach to theirs. UWorld will be much different where I spend much more time on the explanations, but I’ve basically used these qbanks to shift my zanki deck to hammer weaknesses and see board style questions.
Damn!!!! Dude that is literally my goal baseline when 3 months out! And I'm betting you got a lot of zanki and kaplan/rx questions done between now and then. I bet you're gonna get a 220+ on NBME.

Thanks for the breakdown of what you do, I think I do something similar maybe adding a cloze or card very sporadically. Best of luck

Damn!!!! Dude that is literally my goal baseline when 3 months out! And I'm betting you got a lot of zanki and kaplan/rx questions done between now and then. I bet you're gonna get a 220+ on NBME.

Thanks for the breakdown of what you do, I think I do something similar maybe adding a cloze or card very sporadically. Best of luck
I hope you’re right! Pulling for you and everyone else on here!

Does anyone know how many cards are in the sketchy pharm deck of the pepper deck? I hate that anki will just show 1000+. PS yes I wasted 30 mins searching the internet for answers before I turned to you guys.

Does anyone know how many cards are in the sketchy pharm deck of the pepper deck? I hate that anki will just show 1000+. PS yes I wasted 30 mins searching the internet for answers before I turned to you guys.

Not sure on exactly what version you're using, but if you go to the little gear arrow next to the deck name and select "Delete", you'll get a message asking if you're sure you want to delete all #### cards. Then I just click no. I'm sure there's a less hacky way to do it but that's my method.

Not sure on exactly what version you're using, but if you go to the little gear arrow next to the deck name and select "Delete", you'll get a message asking if you're sure you want to delete all #### cards. Then I just click no. I'm sure there's a less hacky way to do it but that's my method.

Sweet!!! Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just looked for fun for my permit, but it is gone and I took Step 1 on 2/22 - meaning I was expecting my score next Wednesday. My eligibility was until 3/31, any chance I get a score today?

Edit: Actually what does "permit disappearing" look like? My button is still there and can be clicked, but when I do I get a page that says "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active".
I didn’t have a button I think. So I’m assuming you’ll probably be next Wednesday

Sweet!!! Thank you so much!!!
you can do stats and look at card type at the bottom.
I would have palpitations with this method as I would always be terrified of accidentally deleting all my reviewed cards.

Reactions: 4 users
you can do stats and look at card type at the bottom.

I would have palpitations with this method as I would always be terrified of accidentally deleting all my reviewed cards.
was showing a friend how to restore from a backup yesterday after they somehow changed the note type of all their cloze cards.

pretty sure their heart stop for the 20 seconds anki deleted their entire deck before restoring.

That backups folder has saved me many many times

I didn’t have a button I think. So I’m assuming you’ll probably be next Wednesday

Thanks for the reply. I see now after a little more reading that the actual button goes away, like you say. Coupled with the fact that I didn't get a score. :) Thanks!

Score back yesterday and got a 253!

Through dedicated and even after taking Step 1 a couple weeks ago, probably checked SDN a little too much but I think it was just nice to see everyone helping each other out and working towards the common goal of understanding this beast of a test. This is my contribution back to the community that helped me stay sane (maybe?) throughout the process!

Background: I go to a Top 30 medical school and in my preclinical years (1.5 years at our school) did not do that hot and ended up in the bottom quartile. My clinical year was much better and I anticipate being above average. We take Step 1 after clinicals which would be equivalent to taking Step 1 during your second semester of 3rd year in a standard 2+2 curriculum. Got a 33-34 (~513-514) on the MCAT for what its worth.

Pre-dedicated: I started freaking out about 1 month before my dedicated because I had some sustained interest in some "competitive" fields and knew my class rank would not be amenable to doing those and wanted to make Step 1 into a sort of redemption. After creeping online, I saw everyone had been doing Zanki and started immediately doing Zanki and only got through biochem, CV, derm, and endocrine before I realized that although it was helpful in nailing down some concepts, I could not keep up with reviews and felt that I would only get marginal returns by doing so many cards over a short period of time. Since I had all my clinicals before Step 1, I had done the entirety of UWorld Step 2 and taken all the shelf exams with my last clinical rotation and shelf exam right before dedicated being internal medicine, which was super helpful.

Dedicated: I stayed with the classic UFAPS methodology and did not use any Zanki outside of my pre-dedicated freakout. I spent about 5.5 weeks in dedicated. I studied for about 12-14 hours a day but this varied as I got to the last week, during which it started getting much harder to stay focused since I was mostly reviewing at that point. Main resource was FA2018 in that I used it as a text book and tried to consolidate all my knowledge into it. I would go through a chapter, annotate with Pathoma/Sketchy Micro/Sketchy Pharm info, and add any random facts I would glean as I did UWorld blocks. I did this over the course of the first 3.5 weeks of dedicated in addition to doing 80-120 UWorld questions daily (timed, random, non-tutor) and making Anki cards for my incorrects only. I would review every block in its entirety but would mostly skim over my corrects unless I had guessed/didn't fully understand the questions. I reviewed these incorrect cards throughout dedicated. Also, google/wikipedia are your friends; if there is a topic you don't understand, highly recommend googling the topic and going directly to IMAGES to see if there is a nice picture or figure explaining it then go into regular search/wikipedia etc. Last two weeks I went back through FA, reviewed incorrects, watched a few Sketchy Path videos, and just mentally prepped for the exam. For some reason I thought I could also do 80-120 questions a day of USMLERx which I bought at the beginning of dedicated, I kept that up for all of 2 days before realizing I'm an idiot. Would not recommend trying to do 240 questions a day.

NBME 15: 221 (5.5 weeks out, right at the beginning of dedicated)
NBME 16: 234 (3.5 weeks out)
UWSA1: 266 (2.5 weeks out) --> I attribute this huge jump to having gone through the majority of UFAPS and more than 3/4ths of UWorld at this point.
NBME 19: 252 (2 weeks out)
NBME 17: 255 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 18: 246 (1 week out)
UWSA2: 262 (4 days out)
Free 120: 88% (2 days out)
UWorld: 79% (86th percentile)
Predicted: 252 (95% CI 243-262; from reddit score predictor on r/step1)

Test Day/Post-test impression: Morning of the test, woke up a bit earlier and ran through the Rapid Review section of FA (there are some Anki flash cards for those floating around somewhere as well I think) over breakfast which was just a quick refresher. The real deal was tough but fair, and I definitely did not feel like I got hit by a train or anything. However, this "feeling" everyone has is so subjective and not a good indicator of anything meaningful in my opinion (I think it just helps people who have not taken the test yet gauge what to expect, especially when you read online how difficult the test is). I maybe had 3-5 questions on the whole test that were truly WTF but even of those I think everything was in UFAPS somewhere, but just asked in a very odd way. I felt there was a pretty even split of topics on the test. I did the test in a 3-2-2 split for the blocks because no matter how good you feel, you will start fatiguing and I just wanted to stay in rhythm early. I oddly felt that my first two blocks were quite easy and then steadily got harder throughout the day. Whether this was fatigue or the questions were actually getting harder, I don't know. Waiting for my score, I counted at least 20 confirmed incorrects (4 of which I changed from the right answer...) and 3-5 that I was on the fence about. The questions on Step 1 rarely try to trick you, so if a question seems too easy to be true or you have a feeling about an answer, go with it. The wait was tough, especially as my incorrect count went up but as many people have said TRUST YOUR ASSESSMENTS.

Reactions: 16 users
NBME 15: 221 (5.5 weeks out, right at the beginning of dedicated)

tenor.gif

NBME 16: 234 (3.5 weeks out)

LinedNextBoutu-size_restricted.gif

UWSA1: 266 (2.5 weeks out)

giphy.gif

Score back yesterday and got a 253!

3a28c32aaae260b76449f4036263a43c15833f06_hq.gif

Reactions: 13 users
Just took NBME 15 this morning. Got a 640 (257). 12 total wrong (8 marked/4 unmarked), 27 marked total.

Honestly, this just felt kind of weird. 80% of the questions were super straightforward memory things, 15% were decent questions, and about 5% were total WTFs (although most of these you could reduce to 2-3 answers). Because the questions were so short I ended up finishing almost every section with 25 minutes left. I only marked ~7 per 40, whereas I'll usually mark ~15 on a kaplan or Rx set.

I definitely need to work on my stamina though. By the 4th section, I was totally exhausted and got 6 of my 12 wrong on this section alone. If I needed to do 80 more questions on top of this I would have completely burned out. Gotta figure out the best way to manage my break timing.

Still, very happy with the performance! I've been feeling the edge of burnout and uncertainty about my studying methods for the last week and a half, and this was a much needed boost to remotivate me for dedicated. Anybody doubting themselves on the anki/qbank/class avoidance grind: I really think we're doing the right thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Just took NBME 15 this morning. Got a 640 (257). 12 total wrong (8 marked/4 unmarked), 27 marked total.

Honestly, this just felt kind of weird. 80% of the questions were super straightforward memory things, 15% were decent questions, and about 5% were total WTFs (although most of these you could reduce to 2-3 answers). Because the questions were so short I ended up finishing almost every section with 25 minutes left. I only marked ~7 per 40, whereas I'll usually mark ~15 on a kaplan or Rx set.

I definitely need to work on my stamina though. By the 4th section, I was totally exhausted and got 6 of my 12 wrong on this section alone. If I needed to do 80 more questions on top of this I would have completely burned out. Gotta figure out the best way to manage my break timing.

Still, very happy with the performance! I've been feeling the edge of burnout and uncertainty about my studying methods for the last week and a half, and this was a much needed boost to demotivated me for dedicated. Anybody doubting themselves on the anki/qbank/class avoidance grind: I really think we're doing the right thing!

That’s awesome! When are you taking it?

Still, very happy with the performance! I've been feeling the edge of burnout and uncertainty about my studying methods for the last week and a half, and this was a much needed boost to demotivated me for dedicated. Anybody doubting themselves on the anki/qbank/class avoidance grind: I really think we're doing the right thing!
Take 2 blocks of uworld right after an nbme to simulate the full thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Wasn’t sure if I wanted to do a write up since I wasn’t super happy with my score but figured if I could give some good advice and some things I wish I would’ve done differently I might be helpful to someone so here it goes.

Prededicated: I go to a brand new med school that’s P/F with NBME exams. We don’t have upperclassmen, so for the first 2-3 blocks I did all the readings the professors assigned. Around block 3 I found out about b&b, pathoma and first aid and ditched anything school related and exclusively used those. If you go to a school with NBME exams I 100% recommend this. By the time i finished all of preclinicals (my school has 1.5 years) I had gotten through all of pathoma and first aid and most of boards and beyond. I also started using Kaplan around the 3rd block which I think was super helpful. My biggest regret of preclinicals is that I didn’t find out about anki until around summer after first year, which was when I started using it religiously. We only have two blocks in 2nd year so I pretty much just added everything in zanki into a master deck at the beginning of summer and did pretty much exclusively that. I completely phased out school assigned stuff going into 2nd year and just kept doing anki and then boards and beyond/pathoma for the block I was currently on. Like I said, if I could do it all over again I would’ve started anki day one and never took a day off. By the time I hit dedicated I had matured 75% of zanki.

Dedicated: Second mistake I made was ditching anki during dedicated. The only cards I did were pharm and cards I made off of Uworld. I wish I would’ve stuck with zanki and stopped doing something else instead. Anyways my day was pretty much wake up at 7:00 and start doing Uworld whenever I finished breakfast. I did two back to back blocks every day and then reviewed them after. This usually took me until about 3 everyday including lunch. For the rest of the day I would usually just try to get through each block that we covered in the order we did them in classes and got through everything by week 3. Then i just went up to 4 blocks of uworld per day after that and used whatever time i had left to focus on my weaker areas. I took 1 practice test every week.

NBME 19: 223 first week of dedicated
UW1: 247 second week
NBME 16: 232 third
NBME 17: 248 fourth
UW2: 243 fifth
NBME 18: 242 sixth
Free 120: 85% 2 days before.
Uworld: 75%
Real: 239

The real exam felt most like 18 and I guess it was also my most predictive. The real exam was a weird mix of some of the easiest questions I’ve seen and then a ton of questions I had to guess on and had no idea about. I marked about 15 per block which I’ve never done before. I made a few really dumb mistakes on some questions that’ll haunt me forever because they probably made the difference between 240 even though it doesn’t really matter haha. Anyways good luck to everyone still grinding. Focus on questions and anki if that’s your thing.

Reactions: 14 users
How do you guys recommend going about doing the 2nd pass of UWorld? Still read every single explanation for every question (even those you got right) and every answer choice? Also, if we do our incorrects before resetting, does the percentage factor into the overall UWorld first pass percentage?

Man I had a taste of dedicated over spring break but now I’m resenting school obligations more than ever! I wish I could just be in dedicated for the next 3 months!

Is NOVA doing mandatory lectures? Are they denying you a dedicated period? If not, you're better off than GA-PCOM students. Count your blessings friend.

Is NOVA doing mandatory lectures? Are they denying you a dedicated period? If not, you're better off than GA-PCOM students. Count your blessings friend.
Yikes! It’s not that bad. But I have had mandatory stuff at school all 3 days back from spring break so far... 2 OMT labs, a female pelvic exam lecture, a female pelvic exam on SP that when we reported for the power was out, so now I have that female pelvic SP exam again tonight.

Yikes! It’s not that bad. But I have had mandatory stuff at school all 3 days back from spring break so far... 2 OMT labs, a female pelvic exam lecture, a female pelvic exam on SP that when we reported for the power was out, so now I have that female pelvic SP exam again tonight.

Man that sucks. Same thing happened with us here. We had a "snow warning" which made the school close down when we were supposed to get our Male GU exam/lecture and gotta make up for it next week. At the very least, the company we used was actually pretty good (for the female pelvic exam).

I'm interested to see what people have to say about my situation. I have an 8 week dedicated (I regretted it later, tried scheduling it a week or two earlier but found no spots).

I figured 8 weeks might not be bad if I take it like a marathon, and don't go all out until 6 weeks left. I'm looking for opinions on how you would set up an "8 week marathon" dedicated in contrast to a 6 week traditional grind-fest ****show.

I'm interested to see what people have to say about my situation. I have an 8 week dedicated (I regretted it later, tried scheduling it a week or two earlier but found no spots).

I figured 8 weeks might not be bad if I take it like a marathon, and don't go all out until 6 weeks left. I'm looking for opinions on how you would set up an "8 week marathon" dedicated in contrast to a 6 week traditional grind-fest ****show.

So I already set up my daily schedule all the way to my test date(s). Everything that I’m supposed to cover from board studying resources. I put very little in the week before midterms and again the week before finals for this last block. Otherwise my dedicated is fairly similar to the lead up to it, except I scheduled 2 Uworld blocks per day instead of 1, and an NBME/UWSA each week instead of none. Oh and I purposely put part of the coverage of some topics I want fresh in my mind toward the end (pharm, metabolism).

So I already set up my daily schedule all the way to my test date(s). Everything that I’m supposed to cover from board studying resources. I put very little in the week before midterms and again the week before finals for this last block. Otherwise my dedicated is fairly similar to the lead up to it, except I scheduled 2 Uworld blocks per day instead of 1, and an NBME/UWSA each week instead of none. Oh and I purposely put part of the coverage of some topics I want fresh in my mind toward the end (pharm, metabolism).

Thanks for the input. Would you mind posting a link to the specific post you're mentioning? I would appreciate it!

Thanks for the input. Would you mind posting a link to the specific post you're mentioning? I would appreciate it!

It’s not on a post, just an excel file I made for myself. I can send it to you if you’d like but it might be of low utility to you because you might/probably use different resources, have different weak spots, have a different start date for dedicated, have a different test date, have different school exam weeks/obligations, etc.

Edit: also just checked your post history. All the COMLEX/DO stuff would be an additional difference. I honestly think there’s too many differences for my schedule to be useful to you. However, I do recommend actually sitting down, figuring out everything you want to cover/do before your test, and mapping out a daily schedule. I took one full day to do this but I think it’s 100% worth it.

Last edited:

Why not build in some time off to recharge in the 8 weeks?

Reactions: 3 users
And breathe, sleep, or eat once?? Not to mention *cringe* exercising... Pah! Blasphemy
If I am being honest, even in my most productive days i study for maybe 5-7 solid hours. I spend a lot of time dicking around. I doubt this ill change very much during dedicated.

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe I should edit my post to include the /s.

I agree with @libertyyne that time off would probably be beneficial... We all know how much sleep can play a role in our performance and with 8 weeks I would simply accomplish the same tasks that I plan to do during my 6 weeks, but be better rested, happy, and confident going into the exam.

Maybe some people are built to run on 4-6 hours of sleep per night and just work straight through without taking stretch breaks, but I benefit from taking time in the middle to go the gym and make sure I eat at least 3 large meals a day. YMMV

Why not build in some time off to recharge in the 8 weeks?

I certainly thought of doing that, but I'll feel uneasy to be honest without atleast keeping fresh on content. Therefore, I feel it would be best for myself to make it an "8 week marathon" or so.

Maybe I should edit my post to include the /s.

I agree with @libertyyne that time off would probably be beneficial... We all know how much sleep can play a role in our performance and with 8 weeks I would simply accomplish the same tasks that I plan to do during my 6 weeks, but be better rested, happy, and confident going into the exam.

Maybe some people are built to run on 4-6 hours of sleep per night and just work straight through without taking stretch breaks, but I benefit from taking time in the middle to go the gym and make sure I eat at least 3 large meals a day. YMMV

Hehe, I totally vibe with what you’re saying. What’s killing me is that I’m the kind of person that needs to run every morning, or else I feel foggy and groggy for the whole day.
I know my step 1 is more important, so I’m going to need to get used to running in the middle of my study as a break (if I want to start my studying at 8 am to get used to doing questions at that time for my step), or schedule my morning run so that I can be at my study desk by 8.

One thing I wonder when people say “there were a couple WTF questions” is what kind of questions these were, and what made them “WTF” status?

For instance, were they really esoteric subject based questions (physiology, immunology, etc) or were they Multisystem type questions that really tested your ability to connect multiple systems.

One thing I wonder when people say “there were a couple WTF questions” is what kind of questions these were, and what made them “WTF” status?

For instance, were they really esoteric subject based questions (physiology, immunology, etc) or were they Multisystem type questions that really tested your ability to connect multiple systems.
esoteric. otherwise they would be in ufap

Last edited:

Usually, the stem or answer choices will include the names of procedures, drugs or diseases you've never heard of or seen before. Less frequently, the answer turns out to be something you have heard of before, but sometimes is missing the buzzwords you'd usually look for and/or just describes otherwise nonspecific symptoms in a weird combination that leaves you scratching your head.

Reactions: 4 users
esoteric. otherwise they would be in ufap
UFAP is not "complete" and disorders that you won't find in any of those resources showed up on my exam. Those are the WTF questions. Also had a couple of questions over emerging science research that nobody could ever prepare for, although I suspect they may have been experimental questions. Definitely can get fantastic scores using these resources but they certainly are not "comprehensive". Test makers are going deeper and testing the ability to apply knowledge as well as regurgitate a deeper level of knowledge for the more straightforward questions.

UFAP is not "complete" and disorders that you won't find in any of those resources showed up on my exam. Those are the WTF questions. Also had a couple of questions over emerging science research that nobody could ever prepare for, although I suspect they may have been experimental questions. Definitely can get fantastic scores using these resources but they certainly are not "comprehensive". Test makers are going deeper and testing the ability to apply knowledge as well as regurgitate a deeper level of knowledge for the more straightforward questions.
Is the only solution to this more practice questions? I can't see myself watching all of boards and beyond or reading rapid review to eek out esoteric questions for a 240. How can I most likely guarantee that?

Is the only solution to this more practice questions? I can't see myself watching all of boards and beyond or reading rapid review to eek out esoteric questions for a 240. How can I most likely guarantee that?
Conventional wisdom is that uworld, FA, Pathoma is sufficent for 240, hopefully with a little bit of test taking skill one can push that to 245+. But who knows? everyone is different.